– Stop him! – My God!
你好呀 我们都在等着你呢
How do you do? We’re all waiting for you.
帕米拉已经到车站椄你去了 到这儿来
Pamela’s gone to meet you at the station. This way.
他是一位领袖
Leader and standard-bearer himself.
我很高兴在这个重要的历史时刻
I welcome this opportunity of discussing with you…
和大家一起讨论
another question vital to the import of our country…
又一个悠关国家命运的问题
at this critical and momentous hour.
但首先 我想声明一点
But first of all, as a preliminary to this…
或许要占用你们的一点时间
I shall occupy your time…
你已经够拖时间的了
You’ve occupied too much time already!
我们听够了
We’ve had enough of you!
各位
Ladies and gentlemen,
现在我请今晚的嘉宾出场
I’m now going to call upon the speaker of the evening.
-大声点 -无需再介绍他是谁
– Speak up! – There’s no need to say who he is…
或是他作为一个军人
or to speak of his brilliant record as a soldier
和政♥治♥家的光荣历史
and a statesman.
他来自苏格兰
He’s a son of Scotland
却征服了所有英格兰人♥民♥的心
who has crossed the border and conquered England.
在民♥主♥政♥治♥的世界里 在伦敦
He is now one of the foremost figures…
他已成为
in the diplomatic political world
一名举重轻重的人物
in the great city of London.
在此 我请他上来跟大家说几句
I’m, therefore, going to ask him to tell you something…
-时间到了 -对于选民来说
– It’s about time too. – How important it is…
我们的候选人赢得了多数支持票
to this constituency that at this crucial by-election…
这是非常重要的时刻
our candidate should be returned by an adequate majority.
现在有请弗拉瑟上尉
I now ask for Captain Fraser.
各位
Ladies and gentlemen,
很抱歉我犹豫了一下才站起来
I apologize for my hesitation in rising just now…
不过刚才当我听到
but I’d entirely failed while listening…
主席所赞扬的人
to the chairman’s flattering description
是我的时候
of the next speaker…
我才如梦方醒
to realize he was talking about me.
我由衷地感谢各位
As for you, may I say from the bottom of my heart…
并以十二分的诚恳
and with the utmost sincerity…
今晚本人能来到这里
how delighted and relieved I am to find myself…
我感到万分的荣幸
in your presence at this moment.
很感谢你们热情的款待
Delighted because of your friendly reception…
当我站到这个台上的时候
relieved because so long as I stand on this platform…
我感到无比的兴奋和幸福
I am delivered from the cares and anxieties…
无论是谁都和我有同样的感觉的
which must always be the lot of a man in my position.
几天前 我搭快车来到苏格兰
When I journeyed up to Scotland a few days ago…
坐着火车经过
traveling on the Highland Express over
那些宏伟大桥的时候
that magnificent Forth Bridge…
我为苏格兰人♥民♥的伟大智慧感到自豪
that monument to Scottish engineering and Scottish muscle…
还有
That is to say,
来这儿之前我还没有想到
on that journey I had no idea that in a few days time…
自己要参加
I should find myself addressing
如此重大的政♥治♥会议
an important political meeting.
我自己也准备了一个特别的节目
I had planned a very different program for myself.
非常特别的节目
A very different program.
你一定去打过猎吧
You’d be for the moors to shoot something.
我的枪法很差劲
Or somebody. I’m a rotten shot.
不管怎样 今晚我所说的话
Anyhow, I little thought I should be speaking tonight…
本意是支持刚才那位精彩演说的先生的
in support of that brilliant, young statesman.
那位很有才华的
That rising…
坐在我右边的那位先生
The gentleman on my right…
在座的各位也已经认识到
already known among you as one destined to make…
他是政坛的人才
no uncertain mark in politics.
换言之 也就是未来的国会议员
In other words, your future member of Parliament…
你们的候选人
your candidate, Mr…
麦卡柯达先生
McCrocodile.
他根本不知道候选人的名字
He doesn’t know the candidate’s name.
候选人会原谅我这样称呼他的小名的
I know your candidate will forgive my referring to him…
他在威斯敏斯特
by the friendly nickname by which he’s already known…
已经是家喻户晓
in anticipation, mark you…
众望所归的了
at Westminster.
各位 下面我们来讨论一些事情
Now, ladies and gentlemen, we’ll discuss some topic.
谈什么好呢
What shall it be?
-国会预算 -失业问题
– The herring fisheries! – Unemployment!
富人偶像怎么样
What about the idle rich?
这个话题有点过时了
That’s an old-fashioned topic…
尤其对我而言
especially for me
我不是富人也不是偶像
because I’m not rich and I’ve never been idle.
我一生繁忙
I’ve been pretty busy all my life,
将来可能会更忙
and I expect to be much busier soon.
你了解平民们的生活吗
Have you ever worked with your hands?
是的
Indeed I have.
我了解那种寂寞无助
I’ve known what it is to feel lonely and helpless…
以及饱受排斥的感受
and have the whole world against me.
世人都不该经历这种感受
Those are things that no man or woman ought to feel.
我请求你们的候选人
I ask your candidate…
以及爱护同胞的人士
and all those who love their fellowmen…
努力让世界
to set themselves resolutely to make this world
变得更安详和睦
a happier place to live in.
建立一个没有纠纷
A world where no nation plots against nation…
和争执的世界
where no neighbor plots against neighbor…
不再有死刑
where there is no persecution or hunting down…
公平交易 机会均等
where everybody gets a square deal and a sporting chance…
人人都乐善好施
and where people try to help and not to hinder.
建立一个安详 舒适
A world from which suspicion and cruelty…
友善 和平的世界
and fear have been forever banished.
这就是我所希望的世界
That is the sort of world I want!
不也是你们所希望的世界吗
Is that the sort of world you want?
好了
Fine!
这就是我想要说的 晚安
That’s all I have to say. Good night!
我已经尽量拖延时间了
I kept them going as long as I could.
你演讲的速度很难跟得上
You’re a difficult man to follow.
你自以为聪明是吗
I suppose you think you’ve been damn clever.
-叫你的犯人别侮辱人 -办不到
– Tell your prisoner not to insult me. – Try and stop me.
-跟我走 -我说的都是实话
– Come along with me. – I was speaking the truth.
这你也看得出来
You must have seen I was genuine.
不管你信不信
Whether you believe me or not,
能不能帮我做件事
will you put a telephone call through…
打个电♥话♥到伦敦情报局
to High Commissioner for Canada in London?
-告诉他们有过重大机密 -够了
– Tell him an important secret… – That will do now.
一个重要机密
An important secret
要被国外间谍窃取出国
is being taken out of this country by a foreign agent.
因为这些笨蛋警♥察♥
I can’t do anything myself
使得我阻止不了这件事
because of this fool of a detective.
-你难道不爱国 -真是荒谬
– Has that penetrated? – Right to the funny bone.
别想再骗我了
Now tell me another one.
你一点大脑都没有吗
Haven’t you any sense at all?
打电♥话♥ 求你了 跟他们说我的事情
Put that call through! I beg of you! Refer them to me.
-能做到吗 -不 晚安
– Will you do this? – No. Good night.
抱歉 小姐 麻烦你跟我们走一趟
I beg pardon, miss, but we should like you to come too.
-为什么 -去指认犯人
– Whatever for? – To identify the prisoner formally.
-请到警局一下好吗 -什么
– Will you come to the police station? – What?
只要一会儿就好
It’s only for a few minutes.
真有必要的话 就快点吧
If it’s necessary, let’s get it over.
上车
Now you.
我一定要坐他身边吗
Must I sit next to this man?
只是一会儿而已
It’s only for a short time.
请尽量快点
Be as quick as you can.
好了
All right.
不是到警♥察♥局吗 我们已经走过了
Isn’t that the police station? We’re running past it.
-跟司机说呀 -你可能误会了
– Tell the man. – You must have misunderstood me.
我们不是去警局
We’re not exactly going to this police station.
-那我们去哪儿 -去伊弗瑞
– Where are we going? – To Inverary.
-伊弗瑞 -是的
– Inverary? – Yes, miss.
此人要有警长亲自审问
This man is to be questioned by the Sheriff Principal.
我们奉命带他到那儿