In the last century, we’ve dramatically increased our impact on planet Earth.
上个世纪,我们对地球 造成了很大程度上的影响
One element has emerged that has made us even more destructive…
这种因素具有破坏性
… accelerating our disconnection…
加速了人类关系的断裂
… and causing extensive damage to our climate and all other natural systems.
大幅度的破坏了气候和其它自然系统
A fundamental illusion in the world is that people are separate from nature.
这里存在着一个基本错觉: 人类和自然是分离的
When the reality is that we are part of nature. In fact, we are nature.
事实上,我们是自然的一部分, 我们就是自然
That’s probably the most fundamental misunderstanding in the world…
也许这就是世界上最大的误解
…that’s causing all this havoc.
从而导致了很多大破坏
I think one of the reasons why it’s so difficult for people to get it…
我觉得,之所以人们不能清楚认识到
…that we’re connected with nature and to even understand…
人与自然的联♥系♥
…the fundamentals of ecoliteracy…
和对生态认知的缺乏
…is because it flies in the face of the assumptions of our culture.
是因为这种观念 与人类文明的假设不符
Our culture is built on the assumption that we are the superior life form on Earth.
人类文明的基础是, 人类是世界上最优越的物种
That we are separate from all other life forms.
我们与其它物种是不同的
That we have been given dominion over all other life forms.
我们拥有控制其它生物的权利
But even to think that we’re separated from nature…
如果认为我们与自然是分离的
…is somehow a thinking disorder. You can’t be separated from nature.
那就是某种意义上的思维很乱, 我们不能同自然分开
Why we think that way is the interesting thing.
我们为什么要那么想本身就很有趣
What happens in the mind that likes to think that it’s separated from nature?
到底是什么因素决定我们这么思考?
Does that mean that the mind, or the human being, thinks he’s now more free?
难道这意味着我们的思想, 或人类本身认为我们更自♥由♥了吗?
We’re totally living in disharmony with the planet. Not just the planet.
我们在地球上很不安分, 不仅是地球上
Beyond the planet. We’re far beyond the planet now.
超过了地球的范围, 远远超过了地球的范围
We’re zooming around Mars and all of that exploration, which is marvelous.
我们探测火星, 还有其它外层空间,这些都是奇迹
But it’s not really affecting our attitudes.
但这些并没有改变我们的观念
I think our attitudes are based on selfishness…
我们的观念很自私
…based on the economic situation we have…
完全从经济利益考虑
…based on the politics which we have.
从政♥治♥角度考虑
I mean, those are the… How many governments in the world…
我的意思是,世界上有多少政♥府♥
…have really taken the environmental crisis for what it is?
考虑过环境危机带来的影响?
Very few. Certainly not the United States.
非常少,美国当然没有考虑过
We live in a human-created environment…
我们生存在一个由人类创造的环境中
…where it’s very easy to think we’re different from other creatures.
所以我们就很容易的 认为人类不同与其它生物
We’re smart, we create our own habitat, we don’t need nature.
我们很聪明,我们创建了 居住区,我们不需要大自然
It’s the economy that’s the most important thing.
只有经济才是最重要的
And in focusing on the economy…
因此我们只强调经济
…I think we’ve forgotten these ancient truths.
我想我们已经忘记了那些古老的真理
These ancient wisdoms that kept us plugged into nature…
这些古老的智慧 能让我们挖掘大自然的潜力
…and understanding that “Gee, if we do something to offend the natural world…
它能让我们明白一个道理, 「如果我们做了违反大自然的事情
…we’ll pay a price for that. We have to treat nature much more gently.”
我们就会为此付出代价, 我们要友善的对待大自然」
That’s the lesson that we’ve forgotten and that we’re paying a price for today.
这就是我们已经遗忘的教训, 所以我们现在就在为此付出代价
The big rupture came in the 1800s, in the 19th century…
最大的转变出现在19世纪
…with the steam engine, the fossil-fuel age, the industrial revolution.
随着蒸汽机的发明, 燃油时代,工业革命
This was a great rupture from earlier forms and rhythms of life…
这是一个巨大的转变, 从人类的早期形式
…which were generally regenerative.
过度到一个可再创造的形式
After the industrial revolution, nature was converted to a resource…
工业革命以后, 大自然变为了一种资源
…and that resource was seen as, essentially, eternally abundant.
我们认为这些资源是必需的, 也是无穷无尽的
This led to the idea and the conception behind progress…
这就是人类进步背后的概念和想法
…which is, limitless growth, limitless expansion.
人类进步可以是无限增长, 无限扩张的
For all of human history…
对于人类历史而言
…the vast majority of human history…
大部分的人类历史
…humans lived on current sunlight.
人类是依靠阳光生存的
Sun fell on the fields, the fields grew plants.
阳光照耀大地,植物开始生长
The plants made cellulose, plant matter.
植物具备纤维素
Animals ate the cellulose, we ate the plants.
动物吃纤维,我们也吃纤维
We ate the animals, we wore clothing made out of them.
我们还吃动物,我们的衣服 也是由它们的皮毛做成的
We were living off of current sunlight.
我们依靠阳光才能生存
It was our food supply, our clothing, we heated with wood…
它为我们提供食物、衣服, 提供可以用来取暖的木材
…it was our heat supply, our light supply. It was all current sunlight.
热能、光能,这些都起源于阳光
The sunlight that fell on Earth in a year was the maximum amount we could use.
一年内阳光照射大地的能量, 是我们能利用的最大量
It was the maximum amount of energy that we could use.
是我们能利用的最大能量
And from the earliest evidence of human civilization…
从人类文明的早期根据看
…150,000, more or less, years ago…
大约15万年前吧,直到几千年前
…up until a few thousand years ago, pretty much, that’s how we lived.
那段时期,我们都是靠阳光生存的
And our population never surpassed a billion people.
人口总量也没有超过十亿
And then we began discovering that there were pockets of ancient sunlight…
之后我们开始发现 隐藏在阳光背后的物质
…and finding coal here and a little bit of oil there.
煤和一部分石油
And slowly between that and the agricultural revolution…
从这以后到农业革命
…slowly, our population crept up until we hit our first one billion people. And so…
渐渐地,人口数量开始增长, 然后到达了第一个十亿
It didn’t take 100,000 years to go from one billion to two.
随后从十亿到二十亿, 只用了不到十万年
Our second billion only took us 130 years.
第二个十亿人口数量的增长 只用了130年
We hit two billion people in 1930.
1930年人口突破了二十亿
Our third billion took only 30 years, 1960.
我们只用了30年就到达了 三十亿人口,那时是1960年
It’s amazing when you think about it. When Kennedy was inaugurated, there were half as many people as today.
太不可思议了,当肯尼迪总统任职时 那时的人口只是现在的一半
The reason that we’ve been able to have this exponential growth of population…
人口数量之所以迅猛增长的原因是
…is because we’re creating food…
我们生产食物
…and clothing and everything else, transportation.
制♥造♥衣服还有一切,包括交通
We’re doing it all with this ancient sunlight…
我们运用原始的阳光 制♥造♥的资源制♥造♥一切
…that was stored in the Earth 3 and 400 million years ago.
利用那些埋藏在地下30到40亿的资源
And if we had to go back to living off current sunlight, lacking technology…
如果我们回到只有原始阳光, 还没有科技的那个年代
…the planet couldn’t sustain more than a half a billion to at most a billion people.
地球本身只能维持不到十亿的人口
So we live in the most unusual period in the history of the planet…
我们现在生活 在一个特殊的历史发展时期
…in terms of a species getting access to energy-rich carbon.
从物种的角度说, 我们充分利用着高能量的碳
What we have done is become good alchemists.
我们做到的就是成为优秀的炼金术士
The ability to take fossil carbon…
我们有能力利用碳
…and turn it into human biomass.
来增加人类的数量
And we have used the supermarket…
我们利用超♥市♥
…the transportation system, to make that happen.
交通运输系统等方式来实现
So the cornerstones of this system that we have…
所以这个系统的基础
…are all resting upon…
是那些不可再生的资源–碳
…nonrenewable, energy-rich carbon we call fossil fuels.
我们把它叫做化石燃料
The real problem is there are too many of us using too many resources too fast.
现实中的问题是, 太多的人太快的消耗太多的资源
Now, oil has enabled us to do that.
因为有了石油,我们可以实现
We use oil to increase the rate at which we extract all other resources…
我们利用石油来加快 提取其它资源的效率
…everything from topsoil to fresh water, from aluminum to zinc.
从表层土到新鲜的水资源,从铝到锌
Oil is really the basis…
石油是一切的基础
…with which we sustain complexity and with which we solve our problems.
依靠石油,我们能够维持 复杂的工序,可以解决我们的问题
In a sense, all of our lives are subsidized.
某种意义上讲, 我们的生命是靠资助来维持的
We are subsidized by oil.
我们靠石油而活
Because we’re subsidized by oil…
正因为我们依靠石油
…when we shop for anything at a store, we don’t pay the full price.
我们在商店买♥♥东西时,都不用付全额
We don’t pay the full cost of what it took to produce that.
我们不必负担生产的全部成本
We borrow about $800 billion a year from the world…
每年我们要从世界借大约8千亿美元
…to finance the excess of our consumption over what we produce.
来负担超过生产的那部分过多消费
And about a third of that, about $250 billion a year, is for oil imports.
大约其中的三分之一, 2千5百万用于石油的进口
So we borrow from the world, we issue IOU’s, treasury bills, whatever…
我们向全世界借款, 发行借条,国库券……
…to the tune of about a billion dollars a day, every working day, anyway…
大概每天十亿元,每个工作日
…to finance our oil imports.
来维持我们的石油进口
Oil does a lot of harm. Economists would call them “externalities” …
石油有很多危害, 经济学者称它们为 「外在性」
…because they’re external to the price you pay at the pump.
因为它们最终都会让你付出代价
For example, the asthma rates among children…
比如,孩童哮喘率的增长
…which are growing in many parts of the US.
美国的很多地区 都出现了不同程度的增长
The acid rain problem that’s caused by burning coal.
酸雨问题,是由于煤的燃烧造成的
If you look at some of the global warming contributions…
燃烧化石燃料导致
…from burning fossil fuels.
全球气候变暖
And at least part of the cost of keeping our troops in the Middle East…
我们在中东地区驻军来保卫石油资源
…to safeguard oil assets.
我们付出了一部分代价
Maybe not all of that cost, but at least some of it…
不能说全部代价,但至少是一部分
…is clearly a subsidy that goes to oil.
最终就是为了得到石油
When you started feeding off of the fossil-fuel cycle…
当我们开始依靠化石燃料的时候
…we began living with a death-based cycle. That death cycle…
我们就已经进入了死亡循环圈
…of dependency on extraction of those resources…
这个循环需要依靠资源提取物
…set in motion a sequence of events…
这些都会引发一些后果
…that has led us to our modern crisis of global disturbance…
可能会导致现代的全球危机
…known as climate change, or global warming, if you will.
像气候变化,全球变暖
We don’t know the future.
我们不知道未来会怎样
We know the past through Greek mythology.
通过希腊神话,我们只能知道过去
The kind of revenge of the gods or the revenge of nature.
我们知道上帝或大自然如何报复人类
We’re seeing that now already, after 200 years of the industrial revolution.
工业革命后的200年, 我们已经看到了这种报复
We didn’t know what we were creating, the damage that was being created.
我们还不清楚我们做了什么, 不清楚我们制♥造♥的破坏
We’re sensing that.
我们能感觉到

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!