It would change depending if you…
没人对你有过偏见 所以你对它的理解不同于别人
No one’s prejudiced against you, so it’s different for you than others.
所以你是说 我要是个黑人才能理解它
So you’re saying I’d have to be a Negro to understand it?
不是 人们因为各种原因被歧视
No, people are prejudiced for all kinds of reasons.
黑人只碰巧是原因之一
Negroes just happen to be one of the majors.
好吧 你有更好的词吗
Okay, so you got a better word?
“宽容”怎么样
How about tolerance?
宽容
Tolerance?
好吧 现在 为什么这个可行
Okay. Now, why does that work?
我查过了
I looked it up.
“怜悯或放任…”
“Sympathy or indulgence…
不同于自己的信仰或实践
…for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one’s own.
“或者 允许某物存在差异”
Or the act of allowing something to be different.”
所以诗中人梦想着…
So the guy in the poem dreams of a world…
一个人们相互有别的世界
…where people let each other be different?
是的 所以”宽容”就是这么个伟大的词
Yeah, that’s why tolerance is such a great word.
它甚至说的不是你必须和别人有相似之处
It’s not even saying you have to like the other person.
它说的只是顺其自然
It’s just saying leave them alone.
好的 那现在我们写一篇 关于宽容的短篇小说
Okay. So now we write a short story about being tolerant?
是的
Yeah.
叫你别再来我房♥间 你个小变♥态♥
I told you never to come in my room again, you little freak.
别 别 别
No, no, no.
别 别 别 我发誓我忘了
No, no, no. I forgot. I swear.
我发誓忘了
I swear I forgot.
我想问个问题 我可以替你打扫一个星期房♥间
I wanna ask a question. I’ll clean your room for a week.
什么
What?
如果老师是同性恋 就会被开除
Could a teacher get fired if he’s a homo?
千真万确 现在出去
Definitely. Now get out.
-还有一个问题 -再加一周 变♥态♥
-One more question. -One more week, freak.
成交
Okay.
什么是同性恋
What exactly is a homo?
整个屋子闻起来都像个胶水工厂了
The whole house smells like a glue factory.
你又用太多胶水了 对吧
You’re using too much glue again, aren’t you?
好吧 我想把它粘紧点
Well, I want it to stick.
少用点胶水 也可以粘紧 过来 我做 你看
It’ll stick with less glue. Come here, I’ll do it. You watch.
过来 让位 快
Come on, move over. Move.
爸 我就快成功了
I almost had it, Dad.
没有 你还没有完成 看着 好好学学
You did not. You did not have it. Just watch and learn.
-说明书在哪 这儿 -是的
-Where are the directions? Right here? -Yeah.
你读过这些吗
Have you read these?
-开始之前从头到尾都读一遍 -是的
-Beginning to end before you started? -Yeah.
看看 看看这 你用太多胶水了
See, look at that. You were using too much glue.
说明书说 可以用刀片刮掉多余的胶水
The directions say you can take off extra glue with a razor blade.
如果你第一次就做对的话 就没这种麻烦了
Or you could just do it right the first time then you don’t have that trouble.
来 孩子 这样你会切断自己手指的
Come on, pal. You’ll end up cutting your finger off.
那样很糟 对吧
That’d be bad, right?
看 这里给你弄乱了
Look, you got a mess here.
我还要完成作业
I have some homework to finish.
如果还有作业没做 你就不该做这个
If you have homework to finish, you shouldn’t even be doing this.
你知道孰轻孰重
You know better.
农历新年假期悄然而至
The holiday was tapped a Lunar New Year.
越共首次大举入侵城市
For the first time, the Vietcong invaded the cities in force…
…包括西贡在内…-作业做完了吗
…including Saigon… -Did you finish homework?
-做完了 -一次深入美国大使♥馆♥地面
-Yeah. -A suicide attack into the grounds…
的自杀式袭击 -妈妈
…of the American Embassy. -Mom?
你八年级的时候有同学谈恋爱吗
Did kids go steady when you were in the eighth grade?
有 安迪
Yeah, Andy.
即使在过去
Even in the old days.
什么感觉
What was it like?
差不多都一样
It’s pretty much always been the same.
我想真正不同的只有服装和音乐
I think the only things that really change are the clothes and the music.
美国水兵被围攻
American Marines were surrounded and under siege.
为什么
Why?
-你想谈恋爱了 -没有
-Are you thinking about going steady? -No.
没有 我只是 你知道的 在好奇这会不会真的发生
No, I’m just, you know, wondering if it ever comes up.
那有趣吗 还是让你紧张了
So was it fun or did it make you nervous?
隐约记得那相当有趣
I seem to remember it as being pretty fun.
我是说 还有一点点紧张
I mean, and a little nerve-racking.
但没持续多久
It doesn’t last long, though.
至少在八年级没有
At least not in eighth grade.
是的 我注意到了
Yeah, I’ve noticed that.
我去看看爸爸弄好我的模型了没
I’m gonna go see if Dad’s finished my model yet.
安迪
Andy?
每天都要喷上我给你买♥♥的除臭剂 懂吗
Make sure you wear that deodorant I bought you everyday, okay?
-为什么 我身上有味道吗 -没有 我只是
-Why? Do I smell? -Oh, no, no. I just…
你永远不知道 它什么时候开始
You never know when it’s gonna start.
你并不希望在错的时间开始 是吧
And you just don’t want it to start at the wrong time, right?
是的 当然 妈妈
Yeah. Sure, Mom.
还有一个问题
One more question.
什么是同性恋
What’s a homo?
别的孩子知道这个吗
The other kids know about this?
是 他们知道
Yeah, they do.
一开始 我很怕谈论这个
I was afraid to talk about it at first.
我听见别的孩子在议论
Then I heard other kids talking about it,
我觉得我最好说点什么
and I thought I better say something.
你告诉我这件事情是对的
You did right telling me this.
-你还没告诉他吧 -当然
-Hey, you didn’t tell him, did you? -Of course.
你想让他从别的孩子那弄清楚吗
Did you want him to find out from the other kids?
大家都是这样明白的 为什么我们的孩子应该不同
That’s how everyone else finds out. Why should our kid be different?
他问了我 我又该怎么做
He asked me. What else was I supposed to do?
你可以告诉他 他还太小 不能知道这些
You could tell him he’s not old enough to know.
学校里 孩子都在讨论
The kids at school are talking about it.
我们真的了解这谣言的真假吗
Hey, do we know if it’s true?
不知道 你知道的 孩子们怎样开始这些流言
No. You know how kids start these rumors.
好吧 我们确定谣言真伪了吗
Well, do we know if it’s not true?
我真不知道我们是不是应该 让这种家伙教我家孩子
I don’t know that we want someone like that teaching our kid.
他是学校里最好的老师
He’s the best teacher that school has.
人们都在讨论 好像它是一场传染病
People talk about it like it’s a contagious disease.
够了 你根本不知道有的人如何变成那样
Stop it, you don’t know how someone becomes something like that.
全国形势正在完全 迅速地恶化
The whole country is going to hell in a handbasket.
抵♥制♥越战的嬉皮士 现在 什么现在
Hippies protesting the Vietnam War. And now, what now?
现在 同性恋在教我们的孩子
Now we got homosexuals teaching our kids.
谢丽 老师是学生的榜样
Teachers are role models, Sherri.
他们尊重他
They look up to him.
你想过这个吗
Have you thought about that?
他们尊重他 因为他是个很棒的老师
They look up to him because he’s a wonderful teacher.
不是因为他的私事儿
Not because of what he does in his bedroom at night.
你为什么这么说
Why do you even gotta talk like that?
整件事都很荒谬
Oh, the whole thing is absurd.
好吧 好吧 它很荒谬
Fine, fine. Okay, it’s absurd.
但是我告诉你 我 首先 将掌控全局
I tell you, I, for one, am gonna monitor the situation…
直到搞清整件事的来龙去脉
…until I know exactly what the hell is going on.
帮忙拿一下枕头
May I have the pillow please?
谢谢
Thank you.
晚安
Good night.
妈妈向我解释同性恋一词时
When my mother explained to me what a homosexual was…
谢天谢地没有对我谈其中的技术细节
…she thankfully spared me the technicalities.
爸爸是对的
My father was right.
我还没准备好
I wasn’t ready.
对我而言 更传统的男女亲密关系尚且陌生
The more conventional male-female approach was still relatively new to me.
她说 同性恋者对另外一个男人
She said a homosexual was capable of a deeper love…
而非女人更容易产生强烈感情
…for another man than a woman.
她向我保证
And she assured me
这与西蒙先生的人品毫无关系
that it had absolutely nothing to do with Mr. Simon’s character.
并坚持认为他兴许是我遇见过最好的老师
And insisted he was still the best teacher I would probably ever have.
这是最重要的
And that was all that mattered.
比分1比1 两次出局 跑垒员在一垒
Count is now one and one with two outs. Runner at first.
挥棒发球 糟糕球飞到看台外面犯规了
Swings at the first pitch, and fouls it deep back into the stands behind…
关了比赛 艾德 我们需要谈谈
Turn the game off, Ed. We need to talk.
-晚点行吗 -不行
-How about later? -No.
现在 艾德

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!