你是不是关心 恩
Are you concerned at all about the, um…
关心健康要素
about the health element?
我不是医生 我是个促进人
I’m not a doctor, I’m a facilitator.
我把有创造力的人们带到一起
I bring creative people together.
不管有咋样的信息 存在着 它就在那里
Whatever information there is, exists, it’s out there.
人们会自己做决定
People will decide for themselves.
他们应该这样 我的任务不是为他们去作决定
They should. It’s not my role to decide for them.
不然这样会是道德上的冒犯
It’d be morally presumptuous.
我可以从这人身上学很多东西
I could learn a lot from this man.
现在 我们需要的是个抽烟的偶像
Now, what we need is a smoking role model,
一个真正的赢家
a real winner.
《夺宝奇兵》和《甜心先生》
印地安那琼斯遇到杰瑞麦格尔
Indiana Jones meets Jerry Maguire.
对 一天两包烟
Right, on two packs a day.
只是他不能在当代社会活着
Only he can’t live in contemporary society.
为什么不能
Why not?
健康问题太普遍了
The health issue’s way too prevalent.
人们会不停地问角色
People would constantly be asking the character
为什么他抽烟 而那是不应该说的
why he’s smoking-and that should go unsaid.
你觉得未来如何
How do you feel about the future?
未来
The future?
是的 在健康问题平息之后
Yeah, after the health thing’s blown over.
一个抽烟人和不抽烟人
A world where smokers and nonsmokers
能完美地和睦相处的社会
live together in perfect harmony.
索尼准备拍个未来派的科幻电影
Sony has a futuristic sci-fi movie they’re looking to make.
电影虚构片名
《来自六元空间消息》
Message From Sector Six.
所有一切都发生在一个空间站里
All takes place in a space station.
他们正在积极寻找一些共同筹资人
They’re actively looking for some cofinancing.
所以在太空的香烟
So cigarettes in space?
这是最后的边界 尼克
It’s the final frontier, Nick.
但他们在个全氧气环境下 不会爆♥炸♥吗
But wouldn’t they blow up in an all-oxygen environment?
或许
Probably.
但这很容易就能处理 一句对话
But it’s an easy fix-one line of dialogue:
“感谢上帝我们发明了” 你知道
“Thank God we invented the…” you know,
“随便什么”装置
whatever device.
美国性感男星
布拉德·皮特
Brad Pitt.
美国性感女星
凯瑟琳·泽塔·琼斯
Catherine Zeta-Jones.
他们刚完成第一次陶醉在
They’ve just finished ravishing
对方的身体中
each other’s bodies for the first time.
他们裸躺着 苍穹下的
They lie naked, suspended in air
空中悬浮着
underneath the heavens.
皮特点燃了香烟
Pitt lights up.
他开始向周围吹烟圈
He starts blowing smoke rings all around
凯瑟琳那裸♥露♥的 无暇的身体
Catherine’s naked, flawless body,
从半球形玻璃天花板看到星系飞逝
as the galaxies go whizzing by over the glass-domed ceiling.
现在 告诉我这是否会对你起作用
Now, tell me that doesn’t work for you.
我会去看这电影的
I’d see that movie.
我会买♥♥他妈的DVD的
I’d buy the goddamn DVD.
这里指的是美国电影艺术与科学学会
你知道 如果学会没免费送我一份的话
You know, if the academy didn’t send them to me for free.
你知道
You know,
你们的人应该考虑设计个香烟
you guys ought to think about designing a cigarette
和电影同步上市
to be released simultaneously with the movie.
六元空间牌
Sector Sixes.
还没人拿香烟做过呢
No one’s ever done it with a cigarette.
哇
Wow.
好 我们今后怎么做
Well, where do we go from here?
你跟你儿子在洛杉矶继续享受后半天
You enjoy the rest of your day in L.A. With your son
而我来找出这些问题的答案
while I find out the answers to these questions.
嘿 我跟我儿子能去哪里能吃一顿
Hey, where can I get a bite to eat with my son?
日本国际性餐馆老板
你们该去试试信幸的新地方
You ought to try Nobu’s new place.
他只供应白色的食物 -哦 太好了
He only serves food that’s white. -Oh, great.
那么 你去一个事务所
So, you go to an office,
然后你上电视去谈论香烟
then you go on TV and talk about cigarettes.
然后你飞到洛杉矶
Then you fly out to L.A.
跟一些和电影明星们工作的家伙谈话
To talk to some guy who works with movie stars.
那是什么 -这就是我的工作 我是个说客
What is that? -That’s my job; I’m a lobbyist.
我知道 但你以前学习就是来干这个的
I know, but did you study to do that?
不 不是 这差不多是我自己领会到的
No. No, I just kind of figured it out.
那其他人就做不到吗
Then can’t anyone just do that?
不能 恩 这需要一种
No, it, uh, requires a…
一种超出大多数人的道德灵活性
a moral flexibility that goes beyond most people.
我有这种灵活的道德吗
Do I have flexible morals?
喔 我们假设你成了一名律师 好吗
Well, let’s say you became a lawyer, right?
而你被要求为一个杀人犯做辩护
And you were asked to defend a murderer.
比那更糟糕 一名杀小孩罪犯
Worse than that-a child murderer.
好了
Now,
法律表明每个人都应获得公平的审判
the law states that every person deserves a fair trial.
你会为他们辩护吗
Would you defend them?
我不知道 我想每个人
I don’t know. I guess every person
都应得到公平的辩护 -是的
deserves a fair defense. -Yeah, well,
跨国公♥司♥也是
so do multinational corporations.
那么 当你错了时会怎么办
So, what happens when you’re wrong?
哦 乔伊 我从来不会错
Well, Joey, I’m never wrong.
但你也不可能总是对的
But you can’t always be right.
好 如果你的工作要你对 那么你永远都不能错
Well, if it’s your job to be right, then you’re never wrong.
但如果你是错的呢
But what if you are wrong?
好吧 让我们这么说 你在为巧克力辩护
Okay, let’s say that you’re defending chocolate
而我在为香草辩护
and I’m defending vanilla.
现在 如果我跟你说
Now, if I were to say to you,
“香草是冰淇淋里最好的口味” 你会说
“Vanilla’s the best flavor ice cream,” you’d say?
“不 巧克力才是” -对了
“No, chocolate is.” -Exactly.
但这样你不能赢得辩论
But you can’t win that argument.
因此 我会问你 那么你认为巧克力
So, I’ll ask you-So you think chocolate
是冰淇淋之终结和顶要紧的口味 对吗
is the end-all and be-all of ice cream, do you?
它就是最好的冰淇淋 我不会点其他种类的
It’s the best ice cream; I wouldn’t order any other.
喔 所以你要的就是巧克力 对吗
Oh. So it’s all chocolate for you, is it?
对 巧克力是我仅需的
Yes, chocolate is all I need.
恩 我要的不只是巧克力
Well, I need more than chocolate.
这样说的话 我要的也不仅是香草
And for that matter, I need more than vanilla.
我想我们要的是 自♥由♥和选择
I believe that we need freedom and choice
当涉及到我们的冰淇淋时 而那 乔伊·内勒
when it comes to our ice cream, and that, Joey Naylor,
那就是自♥由♥的定义了
that is the definition of liberty.
但那并不是我们正在谈的东西
But that’s not what we’re talking about.
啊 但那是我在谈的东西
Ah, but that’s what I’m talking about.
但 你还没证明香草是最好的 -我没必要
But… you didn’t prove that vanilla’s the best. -I didn’t have to.
我证明了你是错的 如果你是错的 那我就对了
I proved that you’re wrong-and if you’re wrong, I’m right.
但你还是没有
But you still didn’t
让我信服
convince me.
因为我不是对你说
‘Cause I’m not after you.
我是对他们说
I’m after them.
你好
Hello?
我在想要给你点更新消息
Thought I’d give you a little update.
杰夫 你仍在办公室啊
Jeff. You still at the office?
你知道现在东京是几点吗
Do you know what time it is in Tokyo right now?
不 -明天下午4点
No. -4:00 p.m. Tomorrow.
是在未来 尼克
It’s the future, Nick.
不管如何 要皮特抽烟
Anyway, for Pitt to smoke,
是一千万美元 要一对抽的话 二千五百万
it’s $10 million; for the pair, it’s 25.
二千五百万 一般我买♥♥一对东西时候都可以打个折
25?! Usually when I buy two of something, I get a discount.
那五百万是干什么的
What’s the extra five for?
协作
Synergy.
他们可不是笨蛋 他们一下子就明白了
These are not stupid people; they got it right away.
皮特和泽塔琼斯在泡泡房♥间里
Pitt and Zeta-Jones lighting up after some cosmic fucking
于宇宙空间做完爱后点烟 这肯定会能卖♥♥出很多香烟的
in the bubble suite’s gonna sell a lot of cigarettes.
哦 若要这笔钱的话
Well, for that kind of money,
我的人会希望有些非常厉害地抽烟
my people will expect some very serious smoking.
布拉德能吹烟圈吗
Can Brad blow smoke rings?
我没有那个资料
I don’t have that information.