I mean, “A,”
美国有世界上最好的政♥府♥吗
does America have the best government in the world?
然后 第二 是什么因素来决定最好的政♥府♥
And “B,” what constitutes a”best government”?
是犯罪率 贫困率 文盲率
Is it crime, is it poverty, literacy?
而美国 肯定不是最好的
And America-definitely not best.
也许都比不上大多数国家
Perhaps not even better than most.
我们是有个非常有趣的政♥府♥
We do have a very entertaining government…
爸爸
Dad.
对不起
I’m sorry.
你对“BS”术语熟悉吗
Are you familiar with the term “B.S.”?
胡说八道
Bullshit.
对 非常对
Yes, exactly.
BS 如果我可以说的话
B.S., if I may, is what questions like the one
你们老师出的题目就是为了胡说八道
your teacher posed are made for.
因为即使美国有最好的政♥府♥
Because even if America had the best government,
也没什么方法证明这点
there’d be no way to prove it.
你要写多少页
And how many pages are you writing?
两页
Two pages.
两页
Two pages…
两页肯定证明不了
Definitely not in two pages.
那么我应该写点什么
So what am I supposed to write?
你想写什么就写什么
You can write whatever you want.
好吧
Okay.
写点
Write about…
写点美国令人惊异的能力
write about America’s amazing ability
通过打破贸易关税来赚取利润
to make profit by breaking down trading tariffs
并把美国人的工作带到第三世界国家去
and bringing American jobs to Third World countries.
或者 我们在审判重罪人是多么善良
Or how good we are at executing felons.
这些都是正确答案
They’re all correct answers.
我能这么做吗
I can do that?
看吧 乔伊 这就是辩论之美
See, Joey, that’s the beauty of argument.
因为只要你正确地辩论 就永远不会错
‘Cause if you argue correctly, you’re never wrong.
爸爸 如果我在一小时内完成这篇作文
Dad, if I finish this essay within an hour,
我们能不能整晚不睡觉
can we stay up all night?
那是谈判 不是辩论
That’s a negotiation, not an argument.
喔 康威 看 你做到了
Well, Conway, see you made it.
是啊 我猜那声音错了
Yeah, I guess that little voice was wrong.
我觉得好多了
I feel better.
我也觉得好多了
I feel a lot better, too.
事实上 我一辈子都没觉得这么好过
As a matter of fact, I never felt so good in my life.
来支香烟如何
How about a cigarette?
他有没有
Is he?

Yeah.

Hey.
尼克 你的监护期还差一次 对不对
Nick, you still own a watch, don’t you?
吉尔 我不禁觉得
Jill, I can’t help feeling
乔伊对他爸爸有些错误的看法
Joey’s getting the wrong idea about his dad.
如果我可以花更多的一点时间
It would be great if I could spend
跟他在一起 一切会更好 你知道吧
a little more time with him, you know?
给他一个公平的 平衡的视点
To give him a fair and balanced perspective.
尼克 你有过足够的时间这么做
Nick, you had plenty of time for that.
现在 你是他的周末监护人
Now you’re his weekend guardian.
此外 他还有布莱德
Besides, he has Brad.
他仍需要他的爸爸
He still needs his father.
尼克
Nick.
你有空吗
You have a second?
当然 布莱德
Sure, Brad.
尼克 你的工作还有其他的一切
Nick, your job and everything aside,
我希望你理解间接吸烟
I hope you understand that secondhand smoke’s
真的会致命
a real killer.
你在说什么
What are you talking about?
我只是希望你能给乔伊提供
I just hope you’re providing
一个无烟环境 我就是这意思
a smoke-free environment forJoey, that’s all I’m saying.
布莱德 我是他父亲
Brad, I’m his father.
你是那个操♥他♥妈♥妈的人
You’re the guy fucking his mom.
这没必要
That was unnecessary.
菲利斯蒂尔佛蒙特州参议员 肺部协会
谢谢你们 谢谢光临
Thank you all. Thank you all for coming.
烟草正走向战争的胜利
Tobacco is winning the war.
一场与我们孩子们的战争
The war against our children.
他们喜欢用卡♥通♥和标记来引诱我们的小孩
They like to use cartoons and symbols to hook our kids.
恩 现在我们有自己的标记了
Well, now we have a symbol of our own.
医生
Doctor.
滤嘴香烟 有毒
我的希望就是 在今年内
It is my hope that within the year
吸烟会造成肺癌肺病肺气肿和怀孕问题
每个在美国卖♥♥出的香烟盒上
every cigarette package
都应该有这个标记
sold in America will carry this symbol.
或许 那时 烟草最后会被恰当地
Perhaps then, cigarettes will finally be labeled
被标注为毒药
appropriately as poison.
我会在两周后
I will be holding a congressional hearing
举♥行♥一个国会听证会
to discuss the inclusion of the skull and crossbones
来讨论骷髅的内涵
in the next two weeks.
照常 我会发个公开邀请信
As usual, I extend an open invitation
给“大烟草公♥司♥”
to big tobacco.
或许这次 他们会赏面出席
Perhaps this time they will grace us with their presence.
并作出回答
And their answers.
非常感谢
Thank you very much.
发生了什么事情 大家
People, what is going on out there?
我看着这桌子 只看到了白旗
I look down this table, all I see are white flags.
我们的销♥售♥数字在全面下降
Our numbers are down all across the board.
青少年吸烟人群-我们的衣食父母
Teen smoking-our bread and butter,
就像狗屎雨一样的往下掉
is falling like a shit from heaven.
此产品因消费者环境变化而更新频繁
老天 我们不是卖♥♥Tic Tacs薄荷糖的
We don’t sell Tic Tacs, for Christ’s sake.
我们是卖♥♥香烟的
We sell cigarettes.
而且他们很酷 到处都有卖♥♥ 而且上瘾
And they’re cool and available and addictive.
我们都不用怎么工作了
The job is almost done for us.
这个环境保护者在挑战我们
This environmentalist is challenging us.
我们得有个回答
We have to have an answer.
我在问你们
I’m asking you,
彼得潘中的钩子手海盗
当这猪头把虎克船长放在我们的产品上时
when this cocksucker puts Captain Hook on our products,
我们他妈的应该做什么
what the fuck are we going to do?
BR -好 尼克
BR. -Yeah, Nick.
如果我可以
If I may.
在1910年
In 1910,
美国一年生产100亿香烟
the U.S. Was producing ten billion cigarettes a year.
到了1930年
By 1930,
达到1230亿
we were up to 123 billion.
这之间发生了什么
What happened in between?
三件事情
Three things.
一场世界大战
A world war,
节食 还有电影
dieting… and movies.
电影
Movies?
1927 有声电影诞生了
1927-talking pictures are born.
突然 导演需要给他们的演员们
Suddenly, directors need to give their actors
一些事情做 当他们说话时候
something to do while they’re talking.
卡里·格兰特 卡洛·隆芭德都开始抽烟
Cary Grant, Carole Lombard are lighting up.
贝蒂·戴维丝简直是个烟囱
Bette Davis-a chimney.
还有博加特 记得他和洛琳·白考儿l的
And Bogart-remember the first picture
《夜长梦多》
第一部电影吗
with him and Lauren Bacall?
哦 是 不太具体了
Well, yea… not specifically.
哦 她用摇摆着的舞步
Oh, she sort of shimmies
穿过了门
in through the doorway,
19 岁
19 years old.
纯洁性感
Pure sex.
她说
She says,
“有人带火柴了吗”
“Anyone got a match?”
然后博加扔给她火柴
And Bogie throws the matches at her…
然后她接住了
and she catches them.
世纪最伟大的浪漫情节
Greatest romance of the century.
如何开始的呢 点支烟