This experience has taught me an important lesson-
跟报社的成员发生性关系
having sexual affairs with members of the press
就是不忠实
is just unfair.
不是对自己不忠实 提醒你们
It’s not unfair to me, mind you,
而是对我生活中的所有人 他们仅错在认识了我
but to all the people in my life whose only crime is knowing me.
是你们的名声受损 不是我的
It was your names, not mine, that suffered
就因跟一个勾引男人的茶褐色头发的年轻华盛顿女记者
from a meaningless affair with a seductress
发生毫无意义的性关系
in the form of a young brunette Washington reporter
她的名字我不会提
whose name I won’t mention
因为我有尊严
because I have dignity.
内勒先生
Mr. Naylor!
你还打算去出席
Are you still planning on testifying
明天小组委员会关于烟草的听证会吗
at tomorrow’s subcommittee hearing on tobacco?
我很高兴你问了这个问题
I’m glad you asked that question.
由于我不参与明天的听取会 而受到了很广泛的指责
There have been wide accusations of me dropping out of tomorrow’s hearing.
让你们都知道
Let it be known
除非菲利斯蒂尔议员收回对我去发言
that unless Senator Finistirre has withdrawn my invitation
的邀请 我计划 -这叫做传讯
to speak, it is my plan -It’s called a subpoena.
明天去国会分享我关于
To be in Congress tomorrow to share my knowledge
大烟草公♥司♥和所有喜爱它产品的人的知识
of big tobacco and all those who enjoy its products.
非常感谢 我们明天见
Thank you very much. I’ll see you tomorrow.
时间表-烟草小组委员会 国会听证议程
尼克·內勒
奥多兰·菲利斯蒂尔 佛蒙特州
还觉得自己像吉米·斯图尔特吗
Still feel likeJimmy Stewart?
很好
Good.
你们不妨先进去
Why don’t you all go ahead?
这有一会儿呢
This could be a while.
美国参议院
请大家 哦 请大家就座
If we could, um… if we could take our seats, please.
先生们 女士们
Gentlemen, ladies.
我要求大家遵守会议的秩序
If I may call this meeting to order.
我们尽量让发言简短和明了
We’ll do everything we can to keep things brief and concise
那样我们就可以准时离开
so that we can all get out of here on time.
这骷髅代表一样东西
The skull and crossbones means one thing:
有毒
Poison.
梅森巴克博士
因此 这信息非常清楚
Thus, the message is quite clear.
就象其他产品上面的商标一样
Like any other product that carries the branding,
如果你吸了 你就会死
if you take it, you will die.
是的 但这不是过火了吗
Yes, but isn’t this overkill?
为什么不像我们现在这样 就只用文字
Why don’t we just use words, as we currently do?
来形容吸烟的危害性
Something that describes the dangers of cigarette smoking.
因为美国公众不再会留意
Well, the American public is not affected
那些报头文字
by masthead anymore.
他们需要图像
They need images.
我们做了消费者的反应调查
We’ve done studies which show that consumers react
达到80%的人更喜欢图象而不是文字
up to 80% more to imagery rather than words.
数据在这里
The stats are there.
很遗憾
It’s just sad
烟草研究学院没能早一点
that the Academy ofTobacco Studies did not release
发表这一类信息
this type of information earlier.
你说烟草研究学院
When you say the Academy ofTobacco Studies,
你是指
you’re referring to…
是的
Yes.
联合会
To the coalition…
是的 联合会
Yes, the coalition.
大 大烟草公♥司♥
The big… big tobacco…
那是由谁代表
…that is represented by…
由俄
By, um…
而且具体是
And specifically
内
Mr…
俄
Um…
尼克俄 内勒先生
Mr., uh, Nick Naylor.
尼克·内勒
Nick Naylor?
非常感谢
Thank you very much.
现在使用
The current use
赫拉先生
文字而不是图象
of words instead of imagery
明显地跟美国说非英语的人
is an obvious move against the non-English-speaking population
有冲突
of the United States.
骷髅图案
The skull and crossbones
比任何语言都要来得深刻
speak loudly in all languages.
如果不使用的话 人们会说
By not using it, they’re saying
他们想那些不会英语的人去死
they want those who can’t read English to die.
此处先生是西班牙语
恩 赫拉先生
Hmm. Senor Herrera,
你能阐明“他们”是谁吗
could you clarify “they”?
让大家知道
Let it be known,
公然攻击还没有过时
the public beating has not gone out of style.
尼克·内勒 请上前
Nick Naylor, please step forward.
你去坐他那边
You go sit with him.
请说出你的名字 住址 和当前的职业
Please state your name, address and current occupation.
我叫尼克·内勒
My name is Nick Naylor.
我住在马萨诸塞大街6000号♥
I live at 6000 Massachusetts Avenue
我现在没有职业
and I am currently unemployed,
但我最近是烟草研究学院的
but until recently, I was the vice president
副总裁
of the Academy ofTobacco Studies.
内勒先生
Mr. Naylor,
身为烟草研究学院副总裁
as vice president of the Academy of Tobacco Studies,
对你有什么要求呢
what was required of you?
你做什么
What did you do?
内勒先生
我会把所有的关于烟草影响的
I informed the public of all the research performed
调查和研究报告给公众
in the investigation on the effects of tobacco.
恩 那
Mm-hmm, and what,
目前为止 学院对这个研究
so far, has the Academy concluded
作出什么结论了吗
in their investigation into the effects of tobacco?
恩 很多 实际上
Well, many things, actually.
那 前几天他们就提出了证据
Why, just the other day they uncovered evidence
老年痴呆症
证明抽烟可以抵消帕金森氏症
that smoking can offset Parkinson’s disease.
我肯定健康团体
I’m sure the health community
一定很震惊
is thrilled.
内勒先生 谁向烟草研究学院
Mr. Naylor, who provides the financial backing
提供财政支持
for the Academy ofTobacco Studies?
呃 烟草联合企业
Uh… Conglomerated Tobacco.
那是香烟公♥司♥
That’s the cigarette companies.
在很大程度上 是的
For the most part, yes.
你认为
Do you think that…
这对他们的优先权产生影响吗
might affect their priorities?
不会 就像我确定
No, just as I’m sure
竞选活动贡献不会影响你的优先权
campaign contributions don’t affect yours.
参议员们 内勒先生不是来这里作证
Senators, Mr. Naylor is not here to testify on the goings-on
烟草研究学院发生的事情
of the Academy ofTobacco Studies.
我们只是在调查
We’re here to examine the possibility
在香烟上贴警告标签的可能性
of a warning logo on cigarettes.
好了 内勒先生
Now, Mr. Naylor,
我非常规地问你个问题
I have to ask you, out of formality,
你相信吸烟时间长了
do you believe that smoking cigarettes, over time,
会导致肺癌和其他呼吸疾病
can lead to lung cancer and other respiratory conditions
比如说肺气肿吗
such as emphysema?
是的
Yes.
事实上 我认为你很难
In fact, I think you’d be hard-pressed
找到一个完全相信
to find someone who really believes
香烟没有任何潜在危害的人
that cigarettes are not potentially harmful.
我说 在场的人有没有认为香烟没有危害的
I mean, show of hands, who out here thinks
请举手 -内勒先生
that cigarettes aren’t dangerous… -Mr. Naylor.
这儿不需要搞舞台效果
There’s no need for theatrics.
先生 我只是觉得不需要用一个标签
Sir, I just don’t see the point in a warning label
去警告人们他们已经知道的事
for something people already know.
这个警告符号♥
The warning symbol
是个提醒 提醒人们吸烟的危害
is a reminder, a reminder of the dangers of smoking cigarettes.
那么 如果我们想要提醒人们危险性的话
Well, if we want to remind people of danger,
为什么不把骷髅标签
why don’t we slap a skull and crossbones