你很少告诉你母亲和我你的近况…
It’s true your mother and I have regretted…
我们都感到很失望
…hearing so little of your news.
您得谅解他 父亲
You must bear with him, Father.
他把时间都花在牛羊身上…
Spending all his time with sheep and cattle…
这更接近大自然 但离牛津大学是更远了
…takes one closer to nature but further from Oxford.
我想提醒你 菲里克斯…
I would remind you, Felix…
大学教育并不代表什么…
…that a university education means nothing…
除非它能有助于宣扬上帝的神通
…unless it redounds to the glory of God.
教育还能有助于提高人的声望
It can also redound to the glory of man.
那也只能是第二位的
Only in the second place.
你的学徒生活过得怎样啊?
How far are you in your apprenticeship?
快要结束了
It’s drawing to a close.
重要的是精神上的洁净 对吗 父亲?
What counts is spiritual cleanliness. Isn’t that so, Father?
精神上和实际上都要洁净 我的孩子
The two go together, my boy.
父亲跟我们说你要兴建自己的农场
Father tells us you intend setting up on your own.
是的
Yes.
-在什么地方啊? -我现在还不确定
-In what part of the world? -I don’t know yet.
也许在殖民地那
The colonies perhaps.
上帝保佑我们
Heaven preserve us.
那里适合进行我心目中的那种耕作方式
It would suit the type of farming I have in mind.
-哪个殖民地? -有很多选择
-What colony? -The choice is wide.
也许在其他的一个什么国家
Or I may settle in a foreign country.
有些地方会向移♥民♥提供地皮及很多优♥惠♥政策
Some places offer land to immigrants on very favorable terms.
比如 巴西
Brazil, for example.
你可永远让人琢磨不透
Wonders will never cease.
我还没决定到底去哪里 所以我回来和你们商量这事
Nothing’s settled yet. I came here to discuss it.
还有其他的事情
That among other things.
我们尝尝柯里克先生醇香的蜂蜜酒吧
Shall we take a drop of good Mrs. Crick’s delicious mead?
请原谅 我忘了
Oh, forgive me, I forgot.
酒是最恶的根源
Strong drink is the root of all evil.
你有话就和我们直说吧
Take us into your confidence.
-是很严重的事情吗? -不严重 但很重要
-Is it something serious? -Not serious, but important.
事实上…
The truth is…
你们不觉得我是时候成家了吗?
…don’t you think it’s time I considered marrying?
的确 孩子 的确是时候了
Yes, indeed, my boy. Yes, indeed.
你妈和我一直在争论这个问题
Your mother and I have debated the same question.
真的吗? 你们觉得什么样的妻子会适合我这个…
Really? And what sort of wife would you favor…
奋斗中的农场主? -一个敬畏上帝的真正的女基♥督♥教♥徒♥
-…for a budding farmer like myself? -A truly Christian, God-fearing woman.
一个在各方面都可以辅助你 并给予你安慰的女子
One who will be a help and a comfort to you in all things.
其他的条件都不重要了
The rest matters little.
你千万不要犹豫不决啊 儿子
You mustn’t hesitate, dear son.
不要犹豫?
Not hesitate?
娶心中的最爱——玛希·昌德
To marry your heart’s desire: Mercy Chant.
她也许过分熟衷用俗艳的东西装饰教堂…
She may be rather fond of overdecorating a church…
如俗气的饰品 鲜花 蕾丝等等…
…with fripperies, flowers, scraps of lace and so forth…
但那只不过是少女的嗜好 这也可以接受
…but that’s merely a girlish fancy. It’ll pass.
玛希是个纯洁而善良的女孩
Mercy is a pure and virtuous girl.
是的 我知道她纯洁而善良
Oh, yes. I know she’s pure and virtuous.
但我必须老实告诉你们我心中另有所爱
But honesty compels me to inform you that I have other plans.
-另有所爱? -没错
-Other plans? -Very much so.
喜欢玛希的是你们而不是我
Mercy Chant appeals more to you than she does to me.
我不是说她不好
I’m not disputing her merits.
我只是说对于妻子的人选我有自己的见解
I’m speaking of my own inclinations.
我最亲爱的儿子
My dearest boy!
安琪 记住你是在和父母说话
Angel, please remember you’re addressing your parents.
我知道啊
I’m aware of that.
妻子的人选我已经决定了
I already know the woman I intend to marry.
她叫做特丽莎.德北菲尔德
Her name is Teresa Durbeyfield.
父亲 母亲 我很尊敬你们两位
Father, Mother, I respect you both.
我也很尊重玛希 而且我确信…
I also respect Mercy Chant and have no doubt…
不管有没有你们的帮忙 她都一定会找到如意郎君的
…she’ll find a worthy husband with or without your help.
至于我…
As for me…
我心意已定
…my mind’s made up.
-是你啊 -苔丝
-It is you. -Tess.
我想现在就问你这个问题
I want to ask you this now.
你愿意嫁给我吗?
Will you be my wife?
我全身心地爱着你
I love you with all my heart and soul.
但你好像有什么问题?
But what’s the matter?
我…
I….
我不能…
I cannot….
我不能嫁给你
I cannot be your wife.
-你不爱我吗? -我当然爱你
-Don’t you love me? -Oh, yes. Yes.
我最想嫁的人除了你没有别人
I would rather belong to you than to anyone in the world.
但请原谅我
But forgive me.
我不能嫁给你
I cannot marry you.
上帝眷顾你才让这牧师的儿子
It was the good Lord who put this.
这样的大好青年爱上你
nice young parson’s son your way..
你一定要相信命运
You must believe that..
但说到你的问题…
But with respect to your question….
我私底下回答你 你千万不要…
…I tell you quite private. but very strong….
把你不幸的过去告诉你的丈夫
…on no account say a word. about your bygone trouble..
女儿 一个字都不能说 绝不能透露半句
Never a word, my girl,. least of all to him..
母亲 母亲…
Mother, Mother….
苔丝 为何我向你求婚会令你
Tess, why does the idea of becoming my wife…
如此郁郁不欢呢 -我没说我不开心啊
-…displease you–? -But I never said that.
我非常开心
It would please me so much.
-但我还是不能嫁给你 -为什么?
-It is simply that I cannot. -Why?
你爱上别人了?
Is there someone else?
难道我不应该知道真♥相♥吗?
Don’t I deserve to know the truth?
-那告诉我啊 -现在不行
-Well? -Not now.
-那什么时候呢? -等以后
-When, then? -Later.
但为什么呢?
But why?
我们回家后我就告诉你
I’ll tell you when we get home.
你知道之后肯定不会再爱我了
You may stop loving me when you know.
让我等到那时再告诉你
Let me wait till then.
伦敦人在明天吃早餐时就会享用这些 对吗
Londoners will drink it at their breakfasts tomorrow, won’t they?
是的 但要掺水 以防上脑
Yes, but watered down, in case it goes to their heads.
我们从没见过的陌生人
Strangers we’ve never seen….
你以前见过我 你记得吗?
You saw me once before, you know that?
真的吗?
I did?
你没跟我跳舞
You wouldn’t dance with me.
-那是在玛洛特 -我记得了
-It was at Marlott. -Of course.
-这太神奇了 -你现在记起来了吗?
-That’s incredible. -You remember now?
苔丝 苔丝…
Tessy, Tessy….
-现在说吧 我的爱人 -好吧
-Now, my girl. -Yes.
我可能以后再也没有勇气 向你诉说我的故事了
I may never again be brave enough to tell you my story.
那快开始讲你那难忘的故事吧
Then get on with your precious story.
你生于何年何地…
I was born at such and such a place in such and such a year–
我出生于玛洛特…
I was born at Marlott…
长于玛洛特
…and I grew up there.
我上到六年级时辍学
I was in the sixth form when I left school.
大家都说我会成为一个好老师
They said I would make a good teacher.
但我家里有点问题
But there was trouble in my family.
父亲干农活不行
Father was no great worker.
他还酗酒 于是我…
He drank, and I….
我父母 他们…
My parents, they….
这时又出了一个意外
It was then that something happened.
这个意外改编了我的一生.我…
Something which changed my life. I….
他们…
They….
父母发现我们家不是姓德北菲尔德的…
They discovered that we were not Durbeyfields…
而是姓德伯
…but d’Urbervilles.
继续说
Well, go on.
就是这样
Well, that’s it.
怎样?
What?
德伯是个古老世家
Well, the d’Urbervilles are an old family.
我知道
I know.
由于…
On account of…
拥有这个名号♥ 我母亲就想…
…being of that name, my mother thought that….
我们被送到…
We were sent….
-我有了… -有了什么?
-I had a—A what?