我母亲耳朵很尖 她会听见的
My mother has sharp ears. She’ll hear.
别做傻事了 亲爱的 快开门
Enough of this nonsense, darling. Open up.
为什么鬼鬼祟祟的…
Why sneak away…
像个贼一般溜走?
…like a thief?
而且是在大清早的这个时候走
And at this hour in the morning?
没人不让你离开
Nobody would’ve prevented you leaving.
但至少让我送你回家
At least let me drive you home.
或者你现在想回来特兰里奇
Unless you’d care to come back.
我不会回去的
I shan’t come back.
-你到底在哭什么啊? -我只是在想…
-What are you crying for? -I was only thinking…
那是我出生的地方
…I was born over there.
我们每个人都会有出生地啊
Well, we all have to be born somewhere.
但我真希望自己从没来过这世上
I–I wish I’d never been born.
从没在那里或其他任何地方出生
There or anywhere else.
苔丝 你的多愁善感也太荒谬了
You’re absurdly melancholy, Tess.
你的美貌会比其他任何一个女人都要出色
You can hold your own for beauty against any woman.
不管是女王还是其他平民女子
Queen or commoner.
这是我作为一个老练的男人给你的善意忠告
I tell you that as a practical man who wishes you well.
你要是聪明 你就应该善用你的美貌…
If you’re wise, you’ll let the world get a clearer sight of that beauty…
不然它很快就会凋谢了
…before it fades.
为什么不好好利用你的美貌过好的生活呢?
Why not make the most of life?
我们不是处得还不错吗?
We didn’t fare so badly together, did we?
-我自己一时糊涂 -女人都是这么说的
-I was blinded for a while, that’s all. -That’s what all women say.
你怎么敢这么说?
How dare you talk like that?
这所有女人都说的话 少数女人的真实感受
Has it never struck you what all women say,
对此你根本无动于衷是吧
some women may feel?
-好了 我错了 我承认 -请你停车 请停车
-All right. I was wrong, I admit it. -Please, please stop.
我想在这里下车
I should like to get down here.
我是个坏蛋 一个十足的坏蛋
I’m a bad lot, I suppose. A damn bad lot.
我生来就是坏蛋 我担♥保♥到我死时我还会是个坏蛋
I was born bad, and I warrant I’ll die bad.
听着 苔丝…
Listen, Tess…
如果你有什么问题 你明白吗?
…if circumstances should arise, do you understand?
只要你有任何困难 哪怕是一点点的困难…
If you’re ever in the least trouble, the least difficulty…
只要你给我写一封信 我就会提供你需要的一切
…just send me one line, and you shall have whatever you need by return.
你真的不会再回来了吗?
You really won’t come back?
再见 我相处四月的表妹
Goodbye, my four months’ cousin.
再见
Goodbye.
苔丝?
Tess?
她虽然嘴里说 但愿孩子和她一起死了才好…
It is no use her pretending she hates it…
这并不是实话
…and wishes it in the churchyard and herself beside it.
但其实她是很喜欢自己的孩子的
She loves that child of hers.
可怜的小东西 人竟然这么快就能接受这种丑事
Poor little mite. It don’t look long for this world.
晚安 德北菲尔德
Good evening, Durbeyfield.
-你有什么事吗? -什么事?
-What’s your business? -My business?
当然是孩子的事啊 我得在这孩子魂归天国前给他洗礼
The child. I must baptize it before the Lord gathers it to his bosom.
你在说哪个孩子啊?
What child are you speaking of?
我所有孩子都已经受洗了啊 你应该知道的
All my children are baptized. You ought to know.
德北菲尔德 别跟上帝开玩笑
Durbeyfield, don’t play games with the Almighty.
先生 我可没时间开玩笑 我得干活呢
I don’t play, sir, I work!
我一直作牛作马
I work! Like a beast of the field.
你可以告诉上帝我说的这句话
You can tell the Almighty that from me.
-我的宝宝快死了 -你早该小心照料他
-My baby’s dying. -You ought to have been more careful.
杰克 不管你喜不喜欢 孩子都已经出生了啊
Like it or not, Jack, that child was born.
他就在这里 在你屋檐下
It is here, under your own roof.
-不对 -父亲 请你讲讲道理
-Not true. -Father, come to your senses.
看在上帝的分上 让牧师进来吧
For pity’s sake, let the vicar in!
绝不让他进家门半步
He shan’t set foot inside this house.
我死也不让他进来
Not over my dead body!
这私生子已经够让我声名扫地了
There’s enough disgrace on my name as it is.
仁慈的上帝啊 发发慈悲吧
O merciful God, take pity.
可怜可怜他
Take pity on him.
所有报应都应在我身上好了
Send down your anger on me.
但可怜可怜这孩子
But have mercy on my child.
我的孩子啊
My child.
先生 我想问你个问题
I should like to ask you something, sir.
说吧 我在听着呢
Well, speak, girl. I’m listening.
我们大家都为你的不幸感到痛惜 孩子
Each of us shares in your sad affliction, my child.
我们都是上帝门下受苦的子民
We’re all members of the suffering body of Christ.
我给我儿子施了洗礼了
My son was baptized.
洗礼? 谁施的?
Baptized? By whom?
我 就在昨晚
By me, last night.
你遵循什么惯例呢?
What procedure did you follow?
我叫醒了我的弟妹们…
I woke my little brothers and sisters…
要他们都跪下祈祷
…and made them kneel down to pray.
丽莎捧着打开的祈祷书
‘Liza-Lu held the prayer book open.
我点燃了一根蜡烛
I lit a candle.
然后呢?
And then?
然后我就这样在受洗盆上抱着孩子
Then I held my child like this over the basin.
然后呢
Yes.
我在他额前洒了些水 然后说…
I poured some water on his forehead, and I said:
“我以圣父 圣子及圣灵之名…
“I baptize thee…
为你受洗”
…in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.”
-你有划十字吗? -有 我有划
-Did you make the sign of the cross? -Yes, I did that too.
这样会跟由您给他施洗礼一样吗?
Will it be just the same as if you’d baptized him?
我是说 在上帝看来这是一样的吗?
In the sight of God, I mean.
是的 我的好姑娘 这是一样的
Yes, my dear girl. It will be the same.
那您能给他主持基♥督♥教葬礼吗?
Then you’ll give him a Christian burial?
那就是另一回事了
That’s another matter.
另一回事? 为什么呢?
Another matter? Why?
这牵涉到我们村所有的村民的看法
Well, that would concern the village as a whole.
不只是我们俩的意愿 你明白吗?
Not just the two of us, you understand.
您愿意主持葬礼吗 先生?
Won’t you do it, sir?
仅此一次?
Just this once?
我很抱歉
I’m sorry.
我求您了 求求您了
I beg you, please.
我说了 这是不可能的
I told you. It’s out of the question.
那我不会再喜欢您了
Then I don’t like you.
我再也不会来你的教堂祈祷了
I shall never come to your church again.
再也不会来了
Never.
永远不来了
Never!
-嗨 柯里克先生 -嗯?
-Hey, Mr. Crick. -Eh?
什么 你现在已经到了? 我们以为你明天才到呢
What, here already? We didn’t expect you afore tomorrow.
这里离韦德布利挺远的
It is quite a step from here to Weatherbury.
玛洛特 先生 我来自玛洛特
Marlott, sir. I come from Marlott.
没错 玛洛特
Yes, Marlott.
那离这里更远啊
Well, that’s even further.
你确定你能干得了这里的活吗?
Quite sure you can stand it here?
对干粗活的人这里是够舒适了…
It is comfortable enough for rough folk…
但我们这可不适合娇生惯养的人啊
…but we don’t live in a cowcumber frame.
这活我已经干习惯了
I’m accustomed to that.
我年轻时去过你家乡那个郡
I used to know your part of the county when I were a lad.
好 就用你吧
Good. Right you are.
你得先去休息下再吃点东西吧
Well, you’ll want a rest and a morsel of food.
我想现在就开始工作 这样就会快点上手
I’d rather begin now, to get my hand in.
不要这么急 你一定饿坏了
Oh, come on. You must be famished.
不饿 谢谢关心 我只要喝点牛奶就行了
No, thank you. A little milk will suffice.
只要你喝得下 爱喝多少喝多少
Well, if you can swallow that, so be it.
我已经腻得好几年都没喝过牛奶了
It is what I hain’t touched for years.
这东西我喝下去就像铅一样堵在胃里
It lies in my innards like lead.
我觉得这些牛的奶没有以前多了
To my thinking, the beasts aren’t giving all they should.
那是因为我们这今天来了新人
That’s because there’s a new hand come amongst us.
我以前就注意到有这种情况
I’ve known it happen afore.
再这种时候 奶牛们的奶就流到牛角去了
They do say that the milk goes up into their horns at such times.
大家觉不觉得我们好像回到中古时代了
Anyone would think we were back in the Middle Ages.
我好像还是没什么长进
I don’t appear to be making much progress.
轻轻地挤 先生 轻轻地挤 就像现在这样
Take it gentle, sir. Take it gentle. Whoa, now.
挤奶需要的是技巧而不是蛮力
It is skill that does it, not strength.
我酸软的手指也是这么告诉我的
So my aching fingers tell me.
柯里克夫人可不屑于来和我们一起挤奶呢 这是事实
Mrs. Crick’s too proud to come milking with us, and that’s a fact.
不过这也没什么可说三道四的
Still, there’s little enough to wherrit about.