牠们会在水里走
and they just walk through the water.
我通常不会告诉别人我要写什么
I don’t usually tell people what I’m gonna write,
但葛兰亭小姐,这真是杰作
but, Miss Grandin, this is a masterpiece.

Hey!
我不想这样做
I don’t like to do that.
对不起,恬普
I’m sorry there, Temple.
我希望妳明天早上穿最好的衣服,好吗?
Now, look, I want you to be dressed in your best outfit tomorrow morning, okay?
好的
Okay.
你看这东西
Just look at this thing.
让牠们通过这里要花很多时间,JD
It’ll take us forever to get them through here.
JD,你去拿上棍子,瑞德,你把这些拿走
J.D., I want you to get the torch and, Red, I want this out, this out.
我希望把面板排列好,把牠们直接赶进来
I want those panels lined up and we’re gonna run them straight in.
来吧,孩子们
Come on, boys.
你们两个跟我来
You two come with me.
抓住另一端
Grab the other end of this.
等一等!
Now, hold on!
看看这个!我是说看看那个!
Look at this! I mean, look at that!
谁会做这种东西?
Who’d build something like that?
杰斯,给我一点真正的钢板
Jess, get me some sheet steel.
我们要让牠们滑进去
We’re gonna slide these puppies in here.
钢板在哪里?
Eric, where’s that sheet steel?
快点!
Hurry up!
我们走,起来!
Let’s go. Get up.
放到那一堆上拿出去
Put them over in that pile and get them out of here.
她来了
She’s here.
别担心,孩子们,我会对付她的,快点!
Keep working, boys. I’ll take care of her. Pick it up.
小姐
Miss.
消毒池很不错
Some dip you got here.
谁在坡道上铺钢板?
Who put steel on that slope?
牛不能在钢板上走
Cattle can’t walk on steel!
我设计得让牠们慢慢走
That’s designed so they’ll walk slowly!
对不起,小姐,刚淹死了三头
Excuse me, little miss. We just had three head drown in here.
这是你的错,你的愚蠢害死牠们
That’s your fault! You killed them ’cause of your stupidity!
为什么不让牠们从弯道进来?
And why ain’t they coming through the curved chute?
那要费一整天时间,小姐
That’d take us all day, little lady!
喂,那是我的衬衫
Hey, that’s my shirt!
如果平滑,牠们会跟着走
If it’s smooth, they’ll follow it!
如果上面有东西牠们会害怕
If there’s stuff on it, they’ll get scared!
不能挂东西
You can’t hang things!
妳神经病
You wacko!
恢复原状!
Put it all back the way it was!
恬普,发生什么事?
Temple, what’s going on here?
他们的愚蠢害死三头牛
They killed three cattle because of their stupidity!
被他们毁了!
They ruined it!
等一等!
Just a minute!
-牲口并不危险!- 恬普?
– Cattle aren’t dangerous!- Temple?
你可以预料牠们
And they’re predictable.
所以不难设计出
So it’s not hard to design
– …不伤害牠们的系统- 妳到加州做什么?
– a system that won’t hurt them!- What are you doing in California?
但牛仔们宁可赶牠们、惊吓牠们
But the cowboys would rather prod them and scare them.
妳开一整夜的车?
Did you drive all night?
我替红河圈养场设计消毒池
I designed a dip vat at John Wayne Red River Feedlot
我根据牛看东西、思考以及行为的方式
based on the way cattle see and think and behave
牲口杂♥志♥社的编辑说那是杰作
and the editor of Cattle magazine said it was a masterpiece,
但牛仔们淹死三头牛!三头!
but the cowboys killed three cows in it! Three.
在五分钟内!
In five minutes.
因为他们不肯遵守我的设计
Because they wouldn’t follow my design!
恬普,要坐下吗?
Temple, would you like to sit down?
我不能保护牲口,除非我…
I can’t protect the cattle…
– 设计从牠们进来…- 我要喝杯茶,要陪我吗?
-…unless I design the whole system-I’m just having a cup of tea.
…到被屠宰的整个系统
from the moment they enter to the moment they get slaughtered.
妳在说屠宰场吗?
Are you talking about a slaughterhouse?
牠们当然是被屠宰
Well, of course they’re gonna get slaughtered.
如果不是每天有人吃,我们还会养牲口吗?
Do you think we’d have cattle if people didn’t eat them every day?
牠们会成为动物园里的滑稽动物
They’d just be funny-looking animals in zoos.
不,我们养牛是为了我们
No, we raise them for us.
这表示我们要尊重牠们
That means we owe them some respect.
大自然残忍♥但我们不需要
Nature is cruel, but we don’t have to be.
我可不希望肠子被狮子扯出
I wouldn’t want to have my guts ripped out by a lion.
只要做得正确,我宁可死在屠宰场
I’d much rather die in a slaughterhouse if it was done right!
– 我看屠宰场应该由妳设计- 我们很容易使用
-Well, it seems to me that you should be the one who’s to design…- We can easily do it in a way
不让牠们痛苦的方式
where they don’t feel pain
而且不让牠们害怕
and they don’t get scared.
也不让牠们的氢化可的松浓度…
And their cortisol levels go through the
氢化可的松是从肾上腺皮质中提取出的是对糖类代谢具有最强作用的肾上腺皮质激素,感到危险时身体会分泌氢化可的松来迫使动物自己逃跑或反击
– 飙升!- 好吧,听到我说的话吗,恬普?
– roof!- Okay. Did you hear what I said, Temple?
我认为屠宰场应该由妳设计
I think you’re the one who should design the slaughterhouse.
是的,我要…
Yeah, I’m going…
我知道一个很糟糕的屠宰场,我知道该怎么修理
I know a slaughterhouse that’s a mess and I know exactly how to fix it.
这是门,这是另一道门
It’s a door. It’s another door.
我可以帮你吗?
Can I help you?
你好,很高兴见到妳
Hello, it’s very nice to meet you.
我想参观妳的屠宰场
I’d like to tour your slaughterhouse.
妳说什么?
Excuse me?
你好,很高兴见到妳
Hello, it’s very nice to meet you.
我想参观妳的屠宰场
I’d like to tour your slaughterhouse.
我们不让人参观,小姐
We don’t do tours, ma’am.
我在约翰韦恩的红河圈养场设计了一个消毒池
I designed a dip vat at John Wayne’s Red River Feedlot
牲口杂♥志♥社的编辑说是杰作
that the editor of Cattle magazine said was a masterpiece…
安全室吗?请安全人员到办公室
Security? Can I get security to the front office?
恬普,很遗憾留言给妳
Temple, I’m so sorry to leave this message on your answering machine,
但我想妳一定想知道,妳朋友卡洛克博士死了
but I thought you’d want to know that your friend Dr. Carlock has died.
我才刚见过他
Well, I just saw him!
他显然病了很久
Apparently, he’d been sick for some time.
妳随时可以打电♥话♥给我,再见,宝贝
You can call me anytime. Bye, sweetheart.
我才刚见过他
I just saw him.
他们在做什么?
What are they doing?
他们在致敬
They’re paying their respects.
这是一种说谢谢和再见的方式
It’s a way of saying thank you and goodbye.
我见他时跟他说过再见
I said goodbye when I saw him.
这是说再见的最后机会
And this is a final chance to say goodbye.
恬普
Temple.
恬普,妳没事吧?
Temple. Are you all right?
我要走了
I’m leaving now.
还没有结束
Well, it isn’t over yet.
我见他时说过再见。他没有躺在那里
I said goodbye when I saw him. He’s not there.
他在我的心里
I’ve got him in my mind.
知道他们去哪里吗?
Do you know where they go?
不,我不知道
No. No, I don’t.
好,我现在要走了
Okay. I’m gonna go now.
开车小心一点
Drive safely.
好了,小姐
There you are, ma’am.
很漂亮的衬衫
My, that’s a pretty blouse.
希望妳不介意我这么说
I hope you don’t mind me saying so.
有人认为我太冒昧
Some people think I’m forward, but, you know, if I like something,
但我如果喜欢什么,我就会去称赞
I just come right out and just compliment them.
获得赞美很好吧?
It’s nice to get a compliment, don’t you think?
谢谢妳,很高兴见到妳,我是恬普葛兰亭
Thank you. It’s very nice to meet you. I’m Temple Grandin.
嗯,我也高兴见到妳,我叫贝蒂
Well, it’s nice to meet you, too. I’m Betty.
我们介绍过了
Well, then, there we are.
妳等什么人或什么东西吗?
Are you waiting to meet somebody or something?
不,我紧张的时候使用自动门有困难
No, I have trouble with automatic doors sometimes when I’m nervous.
我有自闭症
I’m autistic.
我儿子也有自闭症,他搭飞机也有问题
My son is artistic and he’s got the same thing with airplanes.
来吧,妳跟我走
Come on. You just come along with me.
好,来吧
All right. Come on. And…
我确保门会一直开着
And I’ll make sure that they stay open.
好吗?
All right?
妳现在安全了,安全了
You are safe now. You’re safe.
谢谢妳
Thank you.
不客气

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!