My autism allows me to understand prey animals well.
我看得到牲口的逃亡区域
I can visualize the flight zones of cattle.
人在逃亡区以外可以让牠们平静有秩序地绕圈子
A handler outside the flight zone can keep an animal circling in a calm and orderly manner.
但是踏进逃亡区就会让牲口惊慌
But stepping into the flight zone panics the cattle,
声音会从轻柔的哞声变得很大声
and they change from soft moos to loud mooing.
猎物不会发出引人注意的声音
Like, prey animals don’t make noises that will draw attention to them
除非牠们企图警告群体里的其它动物
unless they’re trying to warn other members of the herd.
所以牠们在互相警告会被屠♥杀♥?
So they’re warning each other they’re going to be slaughtered?
不,不是,教授
No. No. No, sir.
无论是要被浸泡,被赶到角落或是被带去屠宰,哞声都同样大
The loud mooing is the same whether they’re gonna be dipped, driven around a hard corner or taken to slaughter.
我是说牠们不知道会发生什么事,但…
I mean, they have no idea what’s gonna happen to them…
我很高兴我们同意这点
I’m glad we agree on that.
牠们受到惊吓
…but they’re spooked.
受到惊吓的牲口行为失常
And spooked cattle don’t act straight.
牠们会撞伤,刮伤或溺毙而这一切都会损失金钱
They get bruised, scraped, drowned, and that all costs money.
让牲口平静下来要半小时,这也要花钱
And it takes a good half hour to calm a herd and that costs money, too.
这不是经营圈养场的好方法
It’s not a good way to run a stockyard.
我相信对牲口好的事对事业也很好
Well, I believe what’s good for cattle is also good for business.
请圈养场替妳签字证明
Well, get the yard to sign off on it.
你指的是老唐?
You mean Don.
他是负责人
That’s who’s in charge.
对不起,小姐,女人不准进圈养场
Sorry, ma’am. No women on the lot.
我叫恬普葛兰亭,我是硕士班…
My name is Temple Grandin. I’m a grad student at Arizona State…
这是规定,小姐
That’s the rules, ma’am.
我是亚利桑那州立大学研究生,我上星期来过
I’m a grad student at Arizona State and I was here last week.
牛仔们的老婆会抱怨
Complaints from cowboys’ wives.
她们不希望圈养场上有女人,我只是尽职责
They just don’t want no women on the yard. I’m just doing my job.
小姐,妳挡住别人了
Ma’am, you’re holding up the line.
妳必须调头离开,拜托
You’re going to have to turn around and take it on off the lot. If you please.
不要再来
Don’t come back.
牧人杂♥志♥记者约翰李其蒙
John Richmond, press, Ranchman magazine.
请进
Go on in.
这是门,这是另一道门
It’s a door. It’s another door.
谢谢妳,小姐,保重
Thanks, ma’am. Take care.
早安
Good morning.
进来吧
Go on in.
嗨
Morning.
进来吧
Go on in.
嗨,桑切斯
Hi, Sanch.
欢迎回来,孩子,自你出去工作已经过去很久了
Good to have you back, son. Seems like a long time since you worked out here.
是的
Yeah, it does.
这是什么?紫心勋章?
What is this, a Purple Heart?
是的
Yeah, it is.
真以你为荣
We’re real proud of you.
桑切斯,你得到这些勋章不是因为挖厕所吧?
Gee, Sanch, you didn’t get all these just digging latrines.
溪山战役爆发于越南期间越南共和国(南越)广治省西北部的一次大规模战役,具体时间为1968年1月到7月间。美军代号♥为“苏格兰行动”和“飞马行动”
不是,先生,我参加过溪山战役
No, sir. I was in Khe Sanh.
真好
Good for you.
对不起,先生
Excuse me, sir.
我的硕士论文要你签名
I need you to sign off on my master’s thesis.
妳是怎么进来的?
How’d you get in here?
他们摇手让我进来
They just waved me in.
妳要研究什么?
What are you gonna research?
牲口骚动
Agitation in cattle.
研究牠们的叫声?
Would that be mooing?
妳相信这种狗屎吗?
You believe that crap?
牲口是被猎杀的动物,大声叫表示…
Since cattle are prey animals, loud mooing is a sign of…
不可能
No way.
来吧,桑切斯,我们喝咖啡
Come on, Sanch, let’s get some coffee.
有没有带一个中国小女孩回来?
Say, did you bring back one of them little China gals with you?
没有,他们不准我带上飞机
No, they wouldn’t let me bring back one on the airplane none.
你们女孩们准备了咖啡吗?
You girls got the coffee ready in here?
是的
Yes
这有个男人很渴
We got a man that’s thirsty.
进来吧
Come on in!
还有其它入口吗?
Do you have another entrance?
妳说什么?
Pardon?
还有其它入口吗?
– Do you have another entrance?
没有,小姐
No, ma’am.
有果冻或优格吗?
Do you have any Jell-O or yogurt?
在冰箱里,就在妳后面
In the cooler. Right behind you, darling.
狮子吃掉比较弱和缓慢的,因此使羚羊群强壮
By eating the weaker and slower ones, lions keep the antelope population strong
而且跟其它动物维持适当比例
and in proper proportion to all other animals.
光/影子
Light. Shadow.
水滩上的倒影
Reflections on puddle.
我吃过牛睪丸
I’ve eaten bulls’ testicles!
我在安妮姨妈的牧场上常吃
Ate them in my aunt’s ranch. Regularly!
这真是浪费
This is a waste!
喂,在这里记得要喝水
Hey! You gotta remember to drink out here.
我有让牠们突然停下来的东西的资料
Well, I have data on things that make them balk,
例如阴影,水里的倒影或是在阳光下闪亮的链条
like shadows, reflections on water, a chain glinting in the sun.
是吗?
Is that right?
牠们不会走到阴处
They won’t walk into shaded areas.
牠们需要看到要去的地方
They need to see where they’re going.
我有关于这些的重要资料,需要麦克先生替我签字
I’ve lots of important information on all this and I need Mr. Michaels to sign off on it.
老唐不签任何东西
Don? Don don’t sign nothing.
我需要麦克先生签字
I need Mr. Michaels to sign…
妳没有在听我说话,老唐不签任何东西
You’re not hearing me right. Don don’t sign nothing.
这里的一切都由我签名
I sign everything around here.
他的姓名,但是由我签
His signature, but I do the signing.
我甚至不确定老唐是否会写字
I’m not even sure if Don can write.
妳对牲口和牠们的行为有兴趣
Say, if you’re interested in cattle and how cattle act,
妳不该只在圈养场上逗留
you shouldn’t just hang around feedlots.
妳应该到牧场,拍卖♥♥场以及竞技场等…
You should be out on ranches, auctions, rodeos,
that sort of thing.
那一类的地方
把一千磅的大公牛牵过来
Got the big steer here. 1,000 pounds.
大约907斤
让我们看看出价,开始吧
Let’s see what she got here. 20, 25,
这头牛,20,25,25.5
25, 25 and a half. 25 and a half, 75.
25半,75,这头25.5,75
Twenty five, 75, 25…
看看牠
He looks mean.
25,65,75,30,30,30
Twenty five. 75, 30, 30, 30, 30.
第17号♥卖♥♥出
Sold him. Pat 17.
各位,看看这头牛
Lookit, here’s mama here.
75,25,25,25,27.5,他出价27.5
Now, 75. 25, 25, 25. 25, 27 and a half. He’s 27 and a half.
27半,30,32半,35
30, 32 and a half, 35.
成交,第21号♥
Sold him. Pat 21. Pat 21.
亚利桑那农牧,我们有房♥产,我们有····
The Arizona Ranchman. We got real estate. We got…
亚利桑那农牧
报刊杂♥志♥
可以看看
Yeah, it’s a good magazine. I’d like you to take a look at it.
帮助你了解各种牧牛问题
Help you out with I’d like you to take a look at it. all kinds of cattle questions.
五分钟后在这里见
See you back here in about five minutes, okay?
打扰···
Excuse…
全都是通到新世界的门
It’s all doors to new worlds.
对不起,先生,先生
Excuse me, sir? Sir?
我很高兴见到你
I’m very pleased to meet you.
我是研究生恬普葛兰亭
I’m Temple Grandin, a Bachelor of Science,
我在亚利桑那州立大学读硕士
doing my master’s here at Arizona State,
我目前在史考斯岱圈养场研究
currently studying in Scottsdale Feed Yards,
不知亚利桑那农牧期刊
and I was wondering if I could interest
对我写的论文是否有兴趣?
the Arizona Farmer-Ranchman periodical
内容是牲口控制系统
on a thesis I’m writing on control systems and cattle
为什么有些系统比较有效,以及要怎么分辨差别
and why some work better than others and how they can tell the difference.
妳是怎么找上史考斯岱的老唐麦克的?
How’d you get on with old Don Michaels over at Scottsdale?
我跟他说我吃过牛睪丸,先生
I told him I’ve eaten bull testicles, sir.
我会看妳寄来的任何东西,葛兰亭小姐
Well, I will read anything you send in, Miss Grandin.
这是我的名片
In fact, here, take my card.
妳直接寄给我
You address it directly to me.
谢谢你,先生
Thank you, sir.
谢谢你!
Thank you!
门没锁
It’s open.
教授,史考斯岱圈养场签了我的牲口骚动研究