你好,我是恬普,幸会
Hello, I’m Temple, it’s very nice to meet you.
你是科学家吗?
Are you a scientist?
我曾经在太空总署工作
I used to work for NASA.
恬普对科学很有兴趣
Temple’s very interested in science.
我想看贝尔卡和史特瑞卡
I’d like to meet Belka and Strelka.
牠们是第一批从太空活着回来的狗
They’re the first dogs to come back from space alive.
是的,在…
That’s right.
史普尼克5号♥ 1960年8月20号♥
In Sputnik 5, August 20th, 1960.
我们在学期中间转学,因为恬普被开除
We’re changing schools mid-term because Temple’s been expelled.
对不起,她为什么被开除?
I’m sorry, why was she expelled, again?
她用书打其它学生
Hitting another child with a book.
虽然事实如此,但我要为她说句话
There’s no excuse, but I will say this in her defense.
我从来没有看过她攻击人,除非被激怒
I have never seen her strike unless she’s been provoked.
其它学生不断挑衅她和霸凌她
And other children have taunted and bullied her constantly.
她不懂他们的笑话,所以他们取笑她
They make fun of her because she doesn’t understand their jokes.
她旋转安抚自己
She spins to comfort herself.
她有时候说话太快
She talks fast, often too fast,
她喜欢重复,其它学生说她是录音机
and she talks repetitively, and then the children called her a tape recorder.
然后她会发作惊恐
Then she’ll go into a panic attack,
他们也取笑她发作,所以…
and then they make fun of that, too.
对不起,她什么时候诊断出自闭症?
Excuse me. When was she diagnosed autistic?
她四岁时,但我有时怀疑诊断是否正确
She was four, but I sometimes wonder if that’s correct.
为什么这样说?
Why do you say that?
你见过她,她很聪明
You’ve seen her, she’s bright.
我们对有特殊需要,有情绪问题的儿童很有经验
We have a lot of experience with children with special needs, and emotional problems,
我们对神经行为问题做了很多…
neuro-behavioral issues that we’ve made a number…
我想这是因为…
I think that because of…
对不起,我简直在浪费你们的时间
I’m so sorry. I really have wasted your time.
我没办法这样对她
I just can’t do this to her.
葛兰亭太太,葛兰亭太太
Mrs. Grandin. Mrs. Grandin.
葛兰亭太太!
Mrs. Grandin!
葛兰亭太太,拜托!
Mrs. Grandin, please!
可以跟妳谈一下吗?拜托?
Can I speak with you for a moment, please?
葛兰亭太太,我看妳不像是会虐待孩子
Mrs. Grandin, you don’t strike me as the sort of person who would abuse their child
或不给他们爱心和关怀的人
or deny them love and care…
我···你说的没错,我能替恬普做的事我全都做了
I… Now, you are right. I have done everything that I can for Temple
如果还不够好我也没办法
and if it isn’t good enough, then it just isn’t good enough.
但你无法想象混乱不安,大发雷霆和痛苦
But you cannot even begin to imagine the chaos, the upheavals, the tantrums and the pain.
她的痛苦
Her pain.
妳好像觉得做错了什么事
You seem to be acting as if you have done something wrong,
显然妳做的一切都很对
when it’s obvious you’ve done everything right.
我觉得她了不起
I think she’s terrific.
我知道很困难
I know it’s difficult when,
作为父母我们都希望孩子成为我们希望的
as parents, we want our children to be everything we hoped for them to be
否则我们觉得是自己的错
and, if they’re not, we think it’s our fault and…
认为永远不会有人了解我们经历的一切
And that there’s never ever anybody out there who understands what we’re going through.
而且让妳觉得孤单,对吧?
It makes you feel alone, right?
葛兰亭太太,我不是负责招生的人
Mrs. Grandin, I’m not an admissions person.
我只是教自然科学
I just teach science,
但我觉得本校或许适合妳女儿
might be the right place for your daughter. might be the right place for your daughter.
我很希望她能来
I’d love to have her here.
医生要我送她到疗养院
The doctors wanted me to institutionalize her and…
我不知道,只是把她送进寄宿学校
I don’t know. Just dumping her at a boarding school,
觉得好像是抛弃了她
it just feels like another way to give her up.
但并不是,只是让她走进世界的第一步
But it’s… It’s not. It’s just the first step in getting her out into the world.
我知道妳看到学生取笑她,而妳想保护她
And I know you saw the children making fun of her and you want to protect her.
是的,我当然想
Yeah, of course I do.
是的,哪个家长不想?
Yeah, what parent doesn’t want to?
但是到了某个地步,她必须得面对人生
But at some point, she’s going to hit life head on.
相信我,我们知道她多么不同
And trust me, we know how different she is.
不同,不是不如人
Different, not less.
不同,不是不如人
Different, but not less.
妳注意看
You watch. You’ll…
妳会交到朋友,还可以骑马
You’ll make friends and you’re gonna ride horses.
好吗?
Okay?
好的
Okay.
好
Okay.
妳带“栗子”来做什么?
What are you doing in with Chestnut?
没有人会接近这匹马
No one is to go near that horse!
牠可能是我的马吗?
Can he be my horse?
牠喜欢有人搂抱牠,我想骑牠
He likes being hugged. I want to ride him.
妳可以骑马但不能骑“栗子”
You’ll ride. Just not Chestnut.
(法语)
(法语)
(法语)
(法语)
法国为什么有那么多鱼?
Why are there so many fish in France?
法国鱼
French fish! French fish!
非常好,恬普,做得真好
Excellent work, Temple. Really excellent work.
法国鱼,法国鱼,法国鱼
French fish! French fish! French fish!
喂,这儿发生了什么事?
Hey! What happened here?
她无缘无故打我
She hit him for no reason!
恬普
Temple.
来吧,我们走
Come on, let’s go.
他上次也做过
And he’s done it before!
住手,住手,恬普,住手!
Stop. Stop. Temple, stop.
恬普,丁姆会受到处罚但妳不能打人
Temple, Tim will be punished for what he did, but you cannot hit people.
妳明白吗?
You understand that?
很好,为了让妳真正明白,妳两星期不能骑马
Good. And to really get that through to you, you will not ride for two weeks.
但这不公平!
But that’s not fair!
两星期
Two weeks.
不,不,那里什么都没有
No, no. There’s… There’s nothing there.
牠像这样三小时了?
And he’s been like this for three hours?
我想任何人都没有办法
I don’t think there’s anything anybody could have done.
我叫孩子们把卡车开来,可以吗?
I’ll send the boy around with the truck. Can you do it?
我来处理,爸爸
I’ll take care of it, Dad.
恬普?
Temple?
牠们去哪里?
Where do they go?
我不知道
I don’t know.
也许是天堂?或某个地方
Heaven, maybe. Somewhere.
恬普,动物和人死后他们会活在我们心里
Temple, when animals and people die, they stay with us in our minds.
我们还是可以看到牠们
We can still see them.
所以最好不要像这样记得栗子,好吗?
So I think it would be best not to remember Chestnut like this. Okay?
我到这里第一天就看到栗子
I see Chestnut the day I arrived.
我看到他们替栗子梳毛
I see grooming Chestnut.
我在一本书上看到一匹跟栗子一样的马
I see a picture of a horse just like Chestnut in a book.
我们在119公路上的一家饲料店附近看到棕色的马
We passed a Chestnut horse on route 119 near a feed store.
安妮姨妈的月历上有一匹
There was one on a calendar at Aunt Ann’s,
生活杂♥志♥上有一匹,在肯尼迪先生对面的那页上
there was one in Life magazine opposite the page of Mr. Kennedy…
好吧,好
Okay. Okay.
妳能把看到的一切都记在心里?
Can you bring everything you’ve seen to your mind?
当然
Sure.
即使是鞋子这样的日常东西?
Even if it were an everyday object, like, say, shoes?
我可以看到我穿过的所有鞋子
I see all the shoes I’ve worn,
还有我妈妈的和其他我见过的所有人的
my mother’s and other people I’ve met.
你有三双鞋子,有一双的底是新的
And you have three pairs, one needs a new heel.
我还可以看到报纸和电视广♥告♥
And I see the newspaper ads and TV ads and…
哇!
Wow!
你不能吗?
Can’t you?
这孩子的心灵令人惊讶
This girl has an amazing mind.
你教她数学试试看,她的代数毫无希望
Try teaching her math. Her algebra’s hopeless.
或是法语,“法国为什么有那么多鱼?”
Or French. “Why are there so many fish in France?”
我让你看一样东西
I want to show you something.
她用图形思考
She thinks in pictures.
所以她能看到讨论的东西时学习得非常好
That’s why she does so well when she can see the things that are being discussed.
例如生物?或是…
Like biology. Or…
工艺
Or shop.
那些是具体的东西
Those are concrete things.
但是语官和代数?
But language or algebra?
对她而言那些毫无意义
It’s just gibberish to her.
那是什么?
What’s that?
想看妳的法国鱼吗?
Do you want to see your “French fish”?