So, when these children end up being adults,
所以当这些孩子成年之后
They’re going to end up —
他们就会患病
If they don’t change their eating and exercise habits,
如果他们不改变饮食和运动习惯
Are gonna end up with liver failure
最终就会患上肝功能衰竭
And, well, either transplant or death.
最后等待他们的只有肝移植或死亡
Did you want lettuce and mayonnaise on all of them?
要加生菜和蛋黄酱吗
I think it’s very, very hard for overweight teenagers
我觉得超重的青少年很痛苦
Because you’re always going to see
你总能看到那些
The thin, pretty, popular girls,
漂亮苗条又受欢迎的女孩
And you can’t help but look at them
你情不自禁的就会看他们
And think, “I wish I was her,” or,
那时你就会想 我要是她多好啊
“I wish I could have that.”
我要是那么瘦多好啊
And it’s depressing. It makes you feel like crap.
我会很沮丧 感觉自己太失败了
That’s just how it is,
就是这种感觉
And of course it’s hard being a teenager
作为青少年 也很不容易啊
Because you see all the girls in the cosmo girl
因为你会看到那些杂♥志♥里的漂亮女孩
Are teen people, and they’re all beautiful,
都只有十几岁 而且都很漂亮
And you think, “aren’t I supposed to look like that?”
你就会想 难道我就不能和她们一样吗
And it’s just not realistic.
但是这很不现实
It’s not a realistic way to live.
这不是现实的生活方式
So, without further ado, let’s welcome Jared Fogle.
言归正传 让我们欢迎Jared Fogle
My big thing was never smoking.
我的优点是不抽烟
It was never drinking.
不喝酒
Obviously, it wasn’t doing drugs.
当然也不抽大♥麻♥了
My big vice was food,
我的缺点是爱吃东西
And before I knew it, I wound up weighing 425 pounds.
直到我的体重长到192公斤[425磅]我才意识到这点
I brought in a present for you —
我给你们带了件礼物
My old pants that are now made famous
我以前穿的裤子
In all the subway commercials.
现在在赛百味的广♥告♥里很受欢迎
You’re welcome.
不客气
This is my daughter, Victoria.
这是我女儿Victoria
She’s an eighth-grade honor student,
她是一名八年级的荣誉生
And you’re a real inspiration to the kids.
您极大地鼓舞了孩子们
I really appreciate that.
我真的很感激您
That’s one of the greatest —
正是这个时期
I started putting my weight on
我发胖是在
As you guys know, about third or fourth grade.
刚才说过的是三四年级的时候
She was real tiny when she was littler,
她小时候真的很瘦
And it’s been in our family.
我家人以前都不胖
In fact, I had a great-grandfather
我的曾祖父
That died and was buried in a piano box
他死了之后被埋在钢琴箱里
Years and years ago, so it’s a history.
很多年以前的事了 已成历史
Absolutely.
确实是
And she’s been trying to maintain her weight.
她一直很努力地想维持体重
It’s tough.It’s always a challenge.
这很难 一直是项挑战
I know as a kid, it’s awfully hard these days
对如今的孩子来说 这实在是太难了
And kids are not always kind.
孩子间有时也挺残忍♥
No, not at all. And I know that firsthand.
是的 我有亲身经历
And the problem is, the world’s not gonna change
但是问题是 世界不会改变
You have to change.
只能你自己改变
I guess it’s kind of cool to know somebody
我觉得能认识这样一个人
Or be able to listen to somebody
或者听听他的经验之谈
Talk about actually being where I am right now,
谈谈我的现状 这样真的很好
And it’s kind of hard
我觉得很难做到
Because I can’t afford to go there every single day
因为我可负担不起每天都去
And buy a sandwich two times a day,
一天买♥♥两次三明治
And that’s what he’s talking about,
他说的就是这个
Like that’s the only solution.
好像这是唯一的办法
That’s what he said worked the best,
这就是他所说的最佳方法
But I can’t do that.
但我做不到
And I’ve tried other ways, and it’s kind of hurt my body
我也试过其他方法 但是我试过的
From doing other ways that I’ve tried to do.
那些方法都有点伤身
And it’s kind of hard to, like, look at someone
真的很难 你看那些人说的
Who says, “hey, I’ve done it. You can do it.”
都在说 我做到了 你也可以的
But it’s not that easy.
但事实上真的很难做到
I’ve been sick as a kid.
我小时候身体不好
I grew up eating a lot of ice cream,
从小吃冰激凌长大
More than you can believe.
你想象不到我吃了多少
We had an ice-cream-cone-shape
我家后院有个
swimming pool in our backyard.
冰激凌型的游泳池
We had a commercial freezer with
我们有个专业制冷柜
Not only all 31 flavors in it,
里面有31种口味的调料
But all experimental flavors that were under development.
我们还有一些处于试验阶段的口味
And I made myself the official taster.
我自己就是一个职业品尝师
I had to approve everything, in my mind.
我认为应该事必躬亲
And I loved it. What kid wouldn’t?
我喜欢这样 哪个孩子会不喜欢呢
I literally had unlimited ice cream.
我毫无节制地吃着冰激凌
I ate ice cream for breakfast.
我拿冰激凌当早餐
But I was sick a lot.
但是我经常生病
And I wasn’t very athletic.
而且我不爱运动
I was really ill.
我是真的生病了
And I didn’t feel good.
很不舒服
So I would kind of appease that by eating more ice cream.
所以我就吃更多的冰激凌来缓和一下
You can see how the vicious cycle would take place.
逐渐就形成了恶性循环
One of the triggering factors for me was my uncle,
对我触动最大的是我舅舅
Burt Baskin, my dad’s partner and brother-in-law,
Burt Baskin 我父亲的小舅子兼合伙人
Co-founder of the company — died of a heart attack.
公♥司♥的联合创始人 他死于心脏病发作
I think he was 51.
那时候他51岁
Now, my uncle weighed about 240 pounds —
我舅舅大概108公斤[240磅]
Heavyset fellow.
真的很胖
And when he died, as a young man, I asked my dad,
他还很年轻就去世了 我问我爸爸
“do you think there could be a connection
你觉得他的致死性心脏病发作
Between his fatal heart attack
跟他吃了太多冰激凌
And the amount of ice cream he would eat?”
两者间有关系吗
My father said, “no, his ticker just got tired
我爸说 没有 是因为他的心脏累了
And stopped working.”
所以不跳了
By this time, he had sold more ice cream
到现在 他所卖♥♥出的冰激凌
Than any human being that had ever lived on this planet.
比世界上任何其他人都多
He didn’t want to think that the
他不愿意去认为
product was hurting anybody,
这种产品会伤身
That it had contributed to the death
并间接害死了
Of his brother-in-law, partner,
他的小舅子兼合伙人
and, in many ways, best friend.
同时更是他最好的朋友
No way.
这样不行
Ben Cohen, the Ben of “Ben and Jerry’s”,
Ben Cohen “本和杰瑞”冰激凌里的那个Ben
A couple years ago, had a quintuple bypass procedure
几年前动过心脏搭桥手术
At the age of 49.
那时候他49岁
My uncle, Burt Baskin of Baskin-Robbins,
我叔叔 巴斯金-罗彬斯冰激凌的创始人
Dies at the age of 51 of a heart attack.
51岁死于心脏病发作
My father, Irv Robbins, the other founder of the company,
我父亲Irv Robbins 公♥司♥的另一位创始人
Ended up with very serious diabetes.
死于重度糖尿病
You can’t deny these links.
你没法否认这其中的联♥系♥
You just can’t.
否认不了
Yeah, could I get the two-cheeseburger meal?
我要一份双层吉士汉堡套餐
Okay, super sized.
我要超大号♥的
Second time.
第二次了
Thank you, sir.
谢谢
Thanks, man.
谢谢
After five days on the Mcdonald’s diet,
吃了五天的麦当劳套餐之后
What I did was I ran three days’ worth of food analysis.
我分♥析♥了你这三天的食物营养价值
The needs for you to maintain weight at the 185
你的体重要维持在84公斤[185磅]
That you were at when you came in — 186 pounds
你来时的体重是84公斤[186磅]
Was approximately 2,500 calories, ok?
需要热量约2500卡路里
Right now you’re getting almost 5,000 calories a day,
现在你每天摄入热量接近5000卡
The average being 4,986.
平均4986卡路里
I would love for you to take a multivitamin.
我希望你可以补充点复合维他命
McDonald’s doesn’t sell multivitamins.
但是麦当劳不卖♥♥复合维他命啊
Well, here’s my new advice,
我有个建议
Is just kind of minimize the meals.
将食物量降到最小
A substitute for the hot fudge sundae would be the yogurt.
可以用酸奶来代替巧克力圣代