她仍然生活在
She was still sleepwalking along
已经逝去的令人目眩的过去
the giddy heights of a lost career.
她已经完全
Plain crazy when it came to that one subject,
失去理智了
her celluloid self…
伟大的诺玛·德斯蒙德
the great Norma Desmond.
她怎么能够在一所
How could she breathe in that house
到处都是诺玛·德斯蒙德的房♥子里生活呢
so crowded with Norma Desmonds?
越来越多的诺玛·德斯蒙德
More Norma Desmonds.
越来越多…
And still more Norma Desmonds.
当然 生活里不可能全都是工作
It wasn’t all work, of course.
每周都有两到三次
Two or three times a week,
马♥克♥思♥会拉起那幅
Max would haul up that enormous painting…
由内华达商业协会
that had been presented to her
所赠的巨幅油画
by some Nevada chamber of commerce…
我们就在她的起居室里观赏电影
and we’d see a movie, right in her living room.
她说的 比出去瞎逛要好得多
So much nicer than going out, she’d say.
事实是她害怕外面的那个世界
The plain fact was she was afraid of that world outside.
怕那个世界会告诉她 她的时代已经过去啦
Afraid it would remind her that time had passed.
那些都是默片
They were silent movies,
由马♥克♥思♥操作放映机
and Max would run the projection machine…
这是个不错的主意
which was just as well.
起码让他不会再继续弹奏
It kept him from giving us an accompaniment on
那架古里古怪的管风琴
that wheezing organ.
她会坐在离我很近的地方
She’d sit very close to me…
身上散发着晚香玉的气味
and she smelled of tuberoses,
偏偏我并不喜欢这种味道…
which is not my favorite perfume…
而且还是这么近的距离
not by a long shot.
有时候 她会挽住我的胳膊或是拉住我的手
Sometimes as we watched, she’d clutch my arm or my hand…
而忘记了自己是我的雇主
forgetting she was my employer.
对一个影迷来说
Just becoming a fan,
屏幕上的偶像真是令人兴奋
excited about that actress up there on the screen.
我想我不说你也知道那个明星是谁啦
I guess I don’t have to tell you who the star was.
屏幕上全都是她的画面
They were always her pictures.
这正是她想看到的
That’s all she wanted to see.
现在看起来仍然很精彩 对吗
Still wonderful, isn’t it?
没有对话
And no dialogue.
我们不需要对话 我们有面孔
We didn’t need dialogue. We had faces.
再也不会有那样的面孔啦
There just aren’t any faces like that anymore.
或许有一个 嘉宝
Maybe one, Garbo.
那些白♥痴♥制片人
Oh, those idiot producers.
那些低能儿
Those imbeciles.
他们没长眼睛吗
Haven’t they got any eyes?
他们忘了一个明星是什么样子了吗
Have they forgotten what a star looks like?
我会展示给他们看的 我会到那里去的 请帮助我
I’ll show them. I’ll be up there again, so help me!
有时候他们也会打打桥牌
Sometimes there’d be a little bridge game in the house…
一点以二十分算
at a twentieth of a cent a point.
输赢的机会通常是对开的
I’d get half of her winnings.
当玩到70分的时候
Once they ran up to 70 cents…
也就是我身上的所有现金啦…
which was about the only cash money I ever got.
桌旁的其他人都是她的演员朋友
The others around the table would be actor friends…
你依稀能想起他们的样子来 都是默片时代的人
dim figures you may still remember from the silent days.
我认为他们就是她的玩偶
I used to think of them as her waxworks.
一张方片
One diamond.
一张红心
One heart.
黑桃
Spade.
过
Pass.
-三张小牌 -过
– Three no-trump. – Pass.
过
Pass.
亲爱的乔 能帮我们倒下烟灰缸吗
Empty the ashtray, will you, Joe, dear?
-门外有人找您 -别说我在这儿
– Some men outside asked for you. – I’m not here.
-我就是这么说的 -干得好
– That’s what I told them. – Good.
不过他们发现了您的车而且要拖走它
But they found your car and they’re going to tow it away.
我们的烟灰缸呢
Where’s the ashtray?
乔 能给我们把烟灰缸拿过来吗
Joe, can’t we have the ashtray?
我想跟你谈一分钟
I want to talk to you for a minute.
现在不行 亲爱的 我正在玩牌
Not now, my dear. I’m playing three no-trump.
他们来拖我的车啦
They’ve come for my car.
别说话 我都忘了出来多少黑桃啦
Please. Now I’ve forgotten how many spades are out.
嗨 我现在马上就需要用钱
Look, I need some money right now.
能等我打完再说吗
Can’t you wait until I’m dummy?
不行
No.
求求你
Please.
怎么样啦 那帮家伙们呢
Now what is it? Where’s the fire?
-我的车没啦 -天呐
– I’ve lost my car. – Oh!
我想那简直是性命攸关的大事
And I thought it was a matter of life and death.
对我来说是的 这也是我为什么在这儿的原因
It is, to me. That’s why I came to this house.
这是我为什么接受这份工作
That’s why I took this
像幽灵一样的工作的原因
job ghostwriting.
你在犯傻啦 我们不需要两辆车 一辆就够了
Now you’re being silly. We don’t need two cars. We have a car.
现在这些廉价货没有镀铬的
Not one of those cheap new things made of chromium and spit.
伊索塔·弗拉契尼 你听过吗
An Isotta-Fraschini. Have you ever heard of Isotta-Fraschini?
全手工制♥作♥ 花了我足足2万8千块
All handmade. Cost me $28,000.
后来马♥克♥思♥把车从库里开了出来
So Max got that old bus down off its blocks
并且擦了个干干净净
and polished it up.
她要带我到日落大道那面的山上去兜风
She’d take me for rides in the hills above Sunset.
车里的座椅都用美洲豹皮包着
The whole thing was upholstered in leopard skin…
还有一个车载电♥话♥ 全部镀金的
and had one of those car phones, all gold-plated.
-你的衬衫不怎么样 -怎么啦
– That’s a dreadful shirt. – What’s wrong with it?
没什么 如果你在加油站工作的话
Nothing, if you work in the filling station.
而且我也很讨厌那件运动夹克
And I’m getting rather bored with that sport jacket
和那条松松垮垮的裤子
and same baggy pants.
马♥克♥思♥ 城里哪家男士商店比较好
Max, what’s a good men’s shop? The very best?
最好的 开到哪儿去
Well, go there.
我不需要衣服 而且我也不需要你替我买♥♥
I don’t need clothes, and I don’t want you buying them for me.
为什么不能给我点快乐呢 我只是想你看上去好点
Why begrudge me a little fun? I just want you to look nice.
你一定爱嚼口香糖吧
And must you chew gum?
对一个男人来说 没什么比蓝色法兰绒更好的啦
Ah, there’s nothing like blue flannel for a man.
当然是这件
This one, single-breasted, of course.
我们还需要件大衣 你们都有什么驼绒服装
Now we need a topcoat. Let me see what you have in camel’s hair.
-再来些晚装怎么样 -我不需要燕尾服
– How about some evening clothes? – I don’t need a tuxedo.
当然你需要 燕尾服和燕尾都得要
You do. A tuxedo and tails,
如果你不是很细心的话 就要个下摆圆角的
and if you aren’t careful, a cutaway.
燕尾 太荒谬了吧
Tails! That’s ridiculous.
开晚会的时候要穿 新年夜也要穿
You need them for parties. You need them for New Year’s Eve.
-你们的晚礼服在哪里 -这边 夫人
– Where are your evening clothes? – This way, Madame.
这些是驼绒的 您来摸摸这些衣服
Here are some camel’s hair, but I’d like you just to feel this.
这是小羊驼的 当然是很昂贵的
It’s vicuna. Of course, it’s a little more expensive.
普通驼绒的就行
The camel’s hair will do.
既然那个女士付钱
Well, as long as the lady’s paying for it,
干嘛不要这个小羊驼的呢
why not take the vicuna?
12月的最后一个星期 大雨来了
The last week in December, the rains came.
大量的雨水…
A great big package of rain…
从天上倾泻下来 就像加州其他超大号♥的东西一样
oversized, like everything else in California.
大雨落在我的屋顶上然后漏到了房♥间里
It came right through the old roof of my room above the garage.
她让马♥克♥思♥把我的东西移到了主房♥里
She had Max move me to the main house.
我不喜欢这个主意
I didn’t much like the idea.
因为我能拥有的唯一属于自己的时间
The only time
就是在哪个房♥间里
I could have to myself was in that room.
不过现在总算比穿着雨衣雨鞋睡觉好些
But it was better than sleeping in a raincoat and galoshes.
以前这是谁的房♥间
Whose room was this?
是她丈夫的
It was the room of the husband.
或者说 是丈夫们的
Of the husbands, I should say.
夫人结过三次婚
Madame has been married three times.
我猜从这里能看到卡特里纳岛
I guess that’s the one you can see Catalina from.
只不过今天天气不好
Only this isn’t the day.
嗨 这门是怎么回事儿 怎么都没有锁
Say, what’s this with the door? There isn’t any lock.
这所房♥子里没有锁 哪都一样 先生
There are no locks anywhere in this house, sir.
为什么
HoW come?
一定是有原因的
There must be a reason.
-医生建议的 -什么医生
– The doctor suggested it. – What doctor?