并且忙于另一项任务
and I’m doing another assignment.
我不管
I don’t care.
你要知道 我要的价钱可不低 500块一个星期
You know, I’m pretty expensive. I get 500 a week.
我不在乎钱 我会让你的时间物有所值的
I wouldn’t worry about money. I’ll make it worth your while.
或许我该把本子带回家好好读读
Maybe I’d better take the rest of the script home and read it.
本子不能带出我的房♥子 你必须在这里完成
I couldn’t let it out of my house. You’ll have to finish it here.
好吧 现在也很晚了
Well, it’s getting kind of late.
你结婚了吗 啊…
Are you married, Mr…
吉里斯 我的名字 单身
Name is Gillis. Single.
你住在哪儿
Where do you live?
好莱坞 阿尔托尼多公♥寓♥
Hollywood. Alto Nido Apartments.
你说过你的车出了些毛病
There’s something wrong with your car, you said.
的确是
There sure is.
-那你干么不呆在这里 -我还是明天早上来吧
– Why shouldn’t you stay here? – I’ll come back early tomorrow.
都是废话 车♥库♥上面就有房♥间
Nonsense. There’s a room over the garage.
马♥克♥思♥会带你过去的
Max will take you there.
马♥克♥思♥
Max!
我对自己处理情况的手法比较满意
I felt kind of pleased with the way I’d handled the situation.
我放了个勾儿 她就咬上啦
I dropped the hook, and she snapped at it.
当我修改剧本的时候
My car would be safe below
我楼下的车应该是安全的啦
while I did a patch-up job on the script.
我会搞到许多钱的
And there should be plenty of money in it.
这个房♥间已经很久没有使用了
This room hasn’t been used for a long time.
虽然看起来不是很体面
It’ll never make House Beautiful,
可是待一个晚上还是不错的
but I guess it’s okay for one night.
我今天下午就给你准备好床了
I made your bed this afternoon.
谢谢 不过那个时候
Thanks. How did you know
你怎么就知道我要留下来呢
I was gonna stay this afternoon?
浴室在那边
The bathroom’s over there.
我放了些毛巾 香皂和一把牙刷
I put in some towels, soap and a toothbrush.
说起来 她是个相当棒的演员
Say, she’s quite a character,
那个诺玛·德斯蒙德
that Norma Desmond.
她是最棒的
She was the greatest of them all.
你不了解 你还太年轻
You wouldn’t know. You’re too young.
她曾经一周收到过一万七千封影迷来信
In one week she received 17,000 fan letters.
人们甚至贿赂她的美容师 以得到她的一缕头发
Men bribed her hairdresser to get a lock of her hair.
曾经有一个印度王公想尽办法来到这里
There was a maharaja who came all the way from India…
来求取她的一只丝♥袜♥
to beg one of her silk stockings.
后来他用那只丝♥袜♥勒死了自己
Later he strangled himself with it.
看来我真是到了一个有意思的地方
Well, I sure turned in to an interesting driveway.
没错 先生
You did, sir.
晚安 先生
Good night, sir.
我觉得他就像一只布谷鸟
I pegged him as slightly cuckoo too.
也或许是报时的闹钟
A stroke, maybe.
仔细想想 这个地方
Come to think of it, the whole place seemed to be stricken…
就像是受一些精神病人洗劫过一样…
with a kind of creeping paralysis…
和外面的世界一起…
out of beat with the rest of the world…
被随意地 慢慢地切成了一块一块…
crumbling apart in slow motion.
这个网球场
There was a tennis court…
更确切地说是网球场的精灵…
or rather the ghost of a tennis court…
带着凋谢的印记沉在黑暗的巨网中
with faded markings and a sagging net.
当然她也有一个游泳池
And of course she had a pool.
谁没有呢
Who didn’t then?
无数个午夜之前 梅布尔·诺曼德和约翰·吉尔伯特
Mabel Normand and John Gilbert
一定在里面畅泳过
must have swum in it 10,000 midnights ago.
还有维尔玛·班奇和罗德·拉洛克
And Vilma Banky and Rod LaRoque.
现在是空了
It was empty now.
又或者 还没有空
Or was it?
下面好像有什么事情发生
There was something else going on below.
是给那只老猩猩举办的最后的仪式
The last rites for that hairy old chimp…
一切都是以最庄严的态度进行的…
performed with the utmost seriousness…
就像是给她自己仅有的孩子下葬一样
as if she were laying to rest an only child.
她的生活真的空虚到了那个地步吗
Was her life really as empty as that?
这一切都很古怪
It was all very queer.
可是怪事要来是谁也挡不住的
But queerer things were yet to come.
那天晚上我做了个混乱的梦
That night I had a mixed-up dream.
梦里有一个调管风琴的工人
In it there was an organ grinder.
我看不清他的脸 管风琴被黑色的窗帘盖着
I couldn’t see his face, but the organ was all draped in black…
一只黑猩猩在跳舞挣钱
and a chimp was dancing for pennies.
当我睁开眼的时候 音乐仍然徘徊在我的脑海里
When I opened my eyes, the music was still there.
我在哪儿
Where was I?
对啦 我在她车♥库♥上面的空房♥间里
Oh, yes. That empty room over her garage.
只不过房♥子不再是空的了
Only it wasn’t empty anymore.
有人来过
I’d had a visitor.
有人把我所有的东西…
Somebody had brought my belongings…
我的书 打字机 衣服 全都搬了过来
my books, my typewriter, my clothes.
出什么事儿啦
What was going on?
马♥克♥思♥ 嗯 不管你叫什么
Hey, you! Max, whatever-your-name-is,
我的东西是怎么回事儿
what are my things doing here?
我在跟你说话呢 我的东西都在楼上的房♥间里
I’m talkin’ to you! My clothes and things are up in the room!
很自然呀 我搬过来的
Naturally. I brought them myself.
真的吗
Is that so?
有什么问题吗 丢了东西
Why, what’s the matter? Is there anything missing?
谁说你能这么干 谁让你搬的
Who said you could? Who asked you to?
是我 我不清楚你为什么这么不高兴
I did. I don’t know why you should be so upset.
别弹啦 马♥克♥思♥
Stop that playing, Max.
如果我们要一起工作的话 看起来这个主意不错呀
It seemed like a good idea if we are to work together.
注意 我只是说要帮你修改剧本
Look, I’m supposed to fix up your script.
-我可没说要住在这里 -你会喜欢这儿的
– There’s no deal about my staying! – You’ll like it here.
谢谢你的盛情 可是我自己有公♥寓♥
Thanks for the invitation. I’ve got my oWn apartment.
在一个你拖了三个月房♥租的地方 你工作不了的
You can’t work in an apartment where you owe three months’ rent.
-我会自己搞定的 -已经搞定了 钱已经交过啦
– I’ll take care of that. – It’s all taken care of, paid for.
那好 那就从我的工资里扣除那部分
Okay, we’ll deduct it from my salary.
现在别为这些小事儿
Now, now, don’t let’s be small about such matters.
操心了
We won’t keep books.
马♥克♥思♥ 整理一下吉里斯先生的东西
Max, unpack Mr. Gillis’s things.
都做好啦 夫人
It is done, Madame.
那就再打包 我没说我要留下来
Well, pack them up again! I didn’t say I was staying!
我想你该整理一下思路
Suppose you make up your mind.
你到底想不想要这份工作
Do you want this job or don’t you?
是的 我需要这份工作
Yes, I wanted thejob.
我需要这笔钱
I wanted the dough,
我也想尽快离开这个鬼地方
and I wanted to get out of there as quickly as I could.
我想如果离开的话 有个几周时间
I thought if I really got going
我仍然能搞定这个剧本
I could finish it up in a couple of weeks.
但是当进入她编造的
But it wasn’t so simple
那些疯狂混乱的剧情之中以后…
getting some coherence…
一切都不是那么简单啦
into those wild hallucinations of hers.
让事情变得更糟糕的是
And what made it even tougher was
她总在我的身边晃来晃去
that she was around all the time…
唯恐我作出什么
hovering over me,
伤害她的作品的举动来
afraid I’d do injury to her precious brainchild.
-那是什么 -只是去掉的一个场景
– What’s that? – Just a scene I threw out.
哪个场景
Which scene?
就是那个你去奴隶市场的情节
The one where you go to the slave market.
最好是去掉
It’s better to cut to John…
就这么给我去掉啦
Cut away from me?
说实话 你出场得太多了
Honestly, it’s too much of you.
人们也不想你出现在每一幕里呀
They don’t want you in every scene.
不想
They don’t?
那他们怎么会每天给我写信
Then why do they still write me fan letters every day?
为什么他们还会求我给他们照片
Why do they beg me for my photographs?
为什么 因为他们想见到我
Why? Because they want to see me.
是我 诺玛·德斯蒙德
Me! Norma Desmond.
把它放回去
Put it back.
好的
Okay.
我没跟她争论
I didn’t argue with her.
你不会指责一个梦游者的
You don’t yell at a sleepwalker.
他甚至会摔折他自己的脖子
He may fall and break his neck.
就是这样的
That’s it.