等等 我以前是不是见过你 我还记得你的长相
Wait a minute. Haven’t I seen you before? I know your face.
出去 我要喊佣人啦
Get out. Or shall I call my servant?
你是诺玛·德斯蒙德
You’re Norma Desmond!
你经常演默片 而且很出名
You used to be in silent pictures. You used to be big!
我的确很出名
I am big.
那些电影和我比起来都很默默无闻了
It’s the pictures that got small.
没错
Uh-huh.
我知道出了点麻烦
I knew there was something wrong with them.
他们死啦 结束啦
They’re dead. They’re finished.
过去这个事业
There was a time when this business
曾经吸引了全世界的目光
had the eyes of the whole world.
但是这对他们并不够好 不
But that wasn’t good enough for them. Oh, no!
他们想整个世界听他们说
They had to have the ears of the world too.
所以他们就张开大嘴不停的说呀说呀…
So they opened their big mouths and out came talk, talk, talk.
爆米花就是从那里开始流行起来的
That’s where the popcorn business comes in.
你可以买♥♥一袋儿然后塞住你的耳朵
You buy yourself a bag and plug up your ears.
看着他们在前台表演 老板们很得意
Look at them in the front offices, the masterminds!
他们培养了这些偶像 让他们自我陶醉
They took the idols and smashed them.
费尔班克斯 卓别林 吉尔伯特 瓦伦蒂诺
The Fairbankses, the Gilberts, the Valentinos!
现在还有谁记得他们 没人
And who have we got now? Some nobodies!
别指责我 我只是个作家 不是行政人员
Don’t blame me. I’m not an executive, just a writer.
你也一样 不停的码字儿 越来越多的字…
You are. Writing words, words, more words!
你用文字的绳索扼死了这项事业
Well, you’ve made a rope of words and strangled this business!
不过那边有个麦克风 可以抓住最后的快乐
But there’s a microphone right there to catch the last gurgles…
还有彩色染印法去记录红肿的舌头
and Technicolor to photograph the red, swollen tongue!
嘘… 你要吵醒那只猴子啦
Shh. You’ll wake up the monkey.
滚出去 马♥克♥思♥…
Get out! Max!
下回我会把签名簿带过来
Next time I’ll bring my autograph album along.
或者带一块水泥过来请一个您的脚印
Or maybe a hunk of cement, and ask for your footprint.
-好的好的 我就走 -等等
– It’s okay. Okay, I’m going. – Just a minute, you.
-你说你是个作家 -怎么啦
– You’re a writer, you said. – Why?
到底是不是
Are you or aren’t you?
我的行业工会是这么说的
That’s what it says on my Guild card.
你也写过剧本 是不是
And you have written pictures, haven’t you?
当然 想要证明吗
Sure have. Want a list of my credits?
我想问你些事儿 过来
I want to ask you something. Come in here.
我上一部作品里写的是关于农民移♥民♥的事情
Last one I wrote was about Okies in the Dust Bowl.
你永远也想不出来
You’d never know it,
当你的作品被搬上银幕的时候是什么样子…
because when it reached the screen…
事情发生在一艘鱼雷快艇上
the whole thing played on a torpedo boat.
有点眼熟 不是吗
Intimate, isn’t it?
风总是往那架该死的管风琴里灌
The wind gets in that blasted pipe organ.
我该把它搬走
I ought to have it taken out.
或者是教它唱好听点
Or teach it a better tune.
年轻人 告诉我
Young man, tell me something.
现在的剧本一般有多长 我是说 有多少页
How long is a movie script these days? I mean how many pages?
取决于是什么类型的
Depends on what it is, a Donald Duck or a Joan of Arc.
这将是非常重要的一部电影
This is to be a very important picture.
我自己写的 花了我好几年的时间
I’ve written it myself. Took me years.
看起来够拍6部电影的啦
Looks like enough for six important pictures.
是一个关于萨洛米的故事 我想让德米利执导
It’s a story of Salome. I think I’ll have DeMille direct it.
德米利 知道
DeMille? Uh-huh.
-我们一起拍了很多片子 -你来演萨洛米
– We made many pictures together. – And you’ll play Salome.
还能有谁
Who else?
只是问问 我不知道你想复出
Only asking. I didn’t know you were planning a comeback.
我讨厌那个词 用”回归”才对
I hate that word! It’s a return!
回到千万名永远不会原谅我
A return to the millions who never forgave me
放弃荧屏生涯的影迷面前
for deserting the screen.
-好极啦 -萨洛米
– Fair enough. – Salome.
一个真正的女人
What a woman. What a part!
一个公主爱上了一个圣人
The princess in love with a holy man.
她跳着七纱舞
She dances the dance of the seven veils.
他拒绝了她的爱
He rejects her,
所以她就把他的头放在一个金盘里…
so she demands his head on a golden tray…
好去吻他那冰冷没有生气的嘴唇
kissing his cold, dead lips.
他们会喜欢这个故事的
They’ll love it in Pomona.
每个地方的人都会喜欢的
They’ll love it every place.
读读吧 读读她下令杀他之前那一幕
Read it. Read the scene just before she has him killed.
永远不要让另一个作家读你的材料 他会剽窃过去的
Never let another writer read your material. He may steal it.
我不怕 读读吧 马♥克♥思♥ 拿些喝的过来
I’m not afraid. Read it. Max, bring something to drink.
请坐 光线够吗
Sit down. Is there enough light?
我视力很好
I’ve got 20-20 vision.
我说了 坐下
I said sit down.
好吧 反正我也没什么约会
Well, I had no pressing engagement…
除了跟那些财务公♥司♥的人…
except with those boys from the finance office…
而且她也说了会有东西喝
and she’d mentioned something to drink.
为什么不呢
Why not?
有时候看看某人的作品
Sometimes it’s interesting to see
到底能糟到什么地步也是件挺有趣的事
just how bad bad writing can be.
我也想考验一下自己
This promised to go the limit.
看看一个优秀的作家
I wondered what a handwriting expert
对她这种幼稚的作品会是什么反应
would make of her childish scrawl.
马♥克♥思♥悄悄地端过来了香槟和鱼子酱
Max wheeled in some champagne and some caviar.
后来我发现马♥克♥思♥是这座城♥堡♥里
Later I found out that Max was
除我们之外唯一一个人
the only other person in that grim Sunset castle.
我也知道了他另外一些事
And I found out a few other things about him.
而她就那么蜷缩着坐在哪里
As for her,
就像一根钟表的弹簧一样
she sat coiled up like a watch spring…
吸着的香烟加在一个古怪的烟斗上
her cigarette clamped in a curious holder.
我能感觉到她透过黑色的镜片在观察我
I could sense her eyes on me from behind those dark glasses…
如果我显得不喜欢就表示蔑视
defying me not to like what I read.
或者是通过她独有的方法祈求我喜欢这个剧本
Or maybe begging me in her own proud way to like it.
这对她来说太重要啦
It meant so much to her.
这种安排真是够舒适的
It sure was a cozy setup…
那捆纯天然的叶子 马♥克♥思♥ …
that bundle of raw nerves and Max…
楼上的死猴子…
and a dead monkey upstairs…
再加上阵阵的阴风吹过风琴不时发出的怪声
and the wind wheezing through that organ once in a while.
稍后 带有喜剧效果的是…
Later on, just for comedy relief…
那个正角儿带着一个婴儿棺材到了
the real guy arrived with the baby coffin.
一切都进行地庄严肃穆
It was all done with great dignity.
他一定是只很有身份的猩猩
He must have been a very important chimp.
或许是金刚的一个伟大的后裔
The great-grandson of King Kong maybe.
马上就11点啦
It got to be 11.:00.
我的肚子开始有点难受了
I was feeling a little sick at my stomach…
拜那些香槟和我正在读的…
what with that sweet champagne and that tripe I’d been reading…
这些无聊的情节剧大杂烩所赐
that silly hodgepodge of melodramatic plots.
然而 与此同时
However, by then…
我开始构思我自己的故事情节了
I’d started concocting a little plot of my own.
怎么样
Well?
剧本很吸引人
This is fascinating.
当然是啦
Of course it is.
或许显得有点长 而且有的地方有些雷同
Maybe it’s a little long and maybe there’s some repetitions…
不过毕竟你不是专业作家嘛
but you’re not a professional writer.
我用我的心写出的这个剧本
I wrote that with my heart.
当然当然
Sure you did.
所以才显得杰出呀
That’s what makes it great.
或许你应该再加些对话
What it needs is maybe a little more dialogue.
为了什么 我可以用我的眼睛表达任何意思
What for? I can say anything I want with my eyes.
好的 剧本确实需要好好地修改一下
Well, it certainly could use a pair of shears and a blue pencil.
我才不会让它被糟蹋的
I will not have it butchered.
当然不可以 不过应该再好好组织一下
Of course not, but it ought to be organized.
只是一些编辑工作 你可以找人做的
Just an editing job. You can find somebody.
找谁 我只想找我信任的人
Who? I’d have to have somebody I could trust.
你什么时候出生的 我是说 你什么星座
When were you born? I mean what sign of the zodiac?
-我不清楚 -那个月的
– I don’t know. – What month?
12月21号♥
December 21.
人马座 我喜欢人马座的人 他们值得信任
Sagittarius. I like Sagittarians. You can trust them.
-谢谢夸奖 -我想你来做这个工作
– Thank you. – I want you to do this work.
我?
Me?
我很忙呀 我刚写完一个剧本
I’m busy. I just finished a script,