当然 我们一直在找一个贝蒂·哈顿
Of course, we’re always looking for a Betty Hutton.
你把它跟贝蒂·哈顿的作品一样出色吗
Do you see it as a Betty Hutton?
坦白地说 不
Frankly, no.
等一下 如果我们改成一个女子垒球队
Wait. If we made it a girls’ softball team,
加入一些女孩子
put in a few numbers.
或许做成一个可爱的音乐喜剧
Might make a cute musical.
这在”候补区 一个女人的故事”里发生过
It Happened in the Bullpen.:Story of a Woman.
你在开玩笑吗 我已经笑不出来啦
Are you trying to be funny? Because I’m all out of laughs.
我现在一筹莫展 我需要一份工作
I’m over a barrel. I need a job.
-我没有什么事儿给你 -任何事情都可以
– I haven’t got a thing. – Anything. Additional dialogue.
什么事情都没有 吉里斯
There’s nothing. Honest.
那么 夏德里克先生
Look, Mr. Sheldrake.
你能以私人名义借给我300块钱吗
Could you let me have 300 bucks yourself,
就算是个人借贷
as a personal loan?
问我借 吉里斯
Could I? Gillis.
去年某个家伙说服我买♥♥一个山谷里的农场
Last year somebody talked me into buying a ranch in the Valley.
所以我从银行借了一大笔钱
So I borrowed the money from the bank
去买♥♥那个农场
in order to pay for the ranch.
今年我不得不把农场抵押出去
This year I mortgaged the ranch
来交我的人寿保险
so I could keep up my life insurance…
这样才能继续维持我的保险
so I could borrow on my insurance…
出来之后我开车去了总部
After that I drove down to headquarters.
施瓦布杂货店就像许多人认为的那样
That’s the way a lot of us think about Schwab’s drugstore.
一个办公室 咖啡聚会
Kind of a combination office,
和让人等待的地方的结合体
kaffeeklatsch and waiting room.
等待
Waiting.
等着天上掉馅儿饼
Waiting for the gravy train.
我拿了10个5分钢嘣儿 开始向别人求助
I got myself ten nickels and started sending out a general SOS.
自然的 既然搞不定我的代理人
Couldn’t get hold of my agent, naturally.
只有给我的一个哥们儿 阿迪·格林打电♥话♥啦
So then I called a pal of mine, Artie Green…
他是极好的一个人 一个助理导演
an awful nice guy, an assistant director.
他可以给我20块钱
He could let me have 20.
但是20块管不了什么用
But 20 wouldn’t do.
接着我又跟几个好好先生谈了谈
Then I talked to a couple of yes-men at Metro.
得到的答案仍然是”不行”
To me they said no.
最后我去找我的代理 那个大骗子
Finally I located that agent of mine. The big faker.
他能给可怜的乔·吉里斯找份工作吗
Was he out digging up a job for poorJoe Gillis?
不 他在拜耳航♥空♥忙得焦头烂额
No. He was hard at work in Bel-Air,
忙着跟那些高尔夫球俱乐部的家伙们打交道
making with the golf sticks.
这么说你需要300块 当然我可以给你
So you need $300. Of course I could give you $300.
-不过我不会给你的 -不行
– Only I’m not going to. – No?
拿着这些 我不仅仅是你的代理人
Get this. I’m not just your agent.
不仅仅是百分之十那么简单
It’s not the ten percent.
-我是你的朋友 -是吗
– I’m your friend. – You are?
你不知道伟大的作品
Don’t you know the finest things
都是诞生于贫困之中吗
were written on an empty stomach?
当一个天才陷入莫坎伯·洛马诺夫定律的时候
Once a talent gets in that Mocambo-Romanoff rut,
你就彻底了解啦
you’re through.
别说什么洛马诺夫啦 我现在谈的是我的车
Forget Romanoff’s. It’s the car I’m talkin’ about!
如果我失去了我的车 那就好像我的腿被砍掉一样
If I lose my car, it’s like having my legs cut off.
对你来说是再好不过啦
Greatest thing that could happen to you.
你就会老老实实地坐回你的打字机旁
Now you’ll have to sit behind the typewriter.
写你的东西去啦
You’ll have to write.
你以为我一直在干什么 我需要300块钱
What do you think I’ve been doin’? I need $300.
宝贝儿 可能你需要的是换个代理
Sweetheart, maybe what you need is another agent.
我开回城的路上好好的想了想我的前途
As I drove back towards town, I took inventory of my prospects.
前途一片渺茫…
They now added up to exactly zero.
显然我没有什么成就…
Apparently I just didn’t have what it takes…
也到了该打包儿
and the time had come to wrap up t
回家的时候啦
he whole Hollywood deal and go home.
也许我把自己那点家当儿卖♥♥了
Maybe if I hocked all my junk
会够钱买♥♥张车票回俄亥俄
I’d have enough for a bus back to Ohio.
回到在代顿晚报那种东抄西抄
Back to that $35-a-week job writing copy
35块一个星期的生活
at the Dayton Evening Post…
如果那家报馆还没倒闭的话
if it was still open.
回到那种在办公室傻笑的生活
Back to the smirking delight of the whole office.
那么好吧 精明的家伙
All right, wise guys.
干什么不在好莱坞想点办法呢
Why don’t you go and take a crack at Hollywood?
可能你认为自己能做到…
Maybe you think that you could make…
见鬼
Uh-oh.
我停在了一栋
I had landed myself in the driveway of some big mansion…
荒凉破败的豪♥宅♥的车道上
that looked run-down and deserted.
车道尽头是一个让人心旷神怡的地方
At the end of the drive was a lovely sight indeed…
一个巨大的 荒废的车♥库♥
a great big empty garage just standing there going to waste.
对一个配着引人注目车牌的破车来说
A perfect place to stash a limping car
是个完美的藏身之地
with a hot license number.
车♥库♥里还有个东西
There was another occupant in that garage…
一辆巨大的进口车
an enormous, foreign-built automobile.
这个家伙一英里肯定要喝十加仑的油才行
It must have burned up ten gallons to a mile.
牌照是1932年的
It had a 1932 license.
我认为那是房♥子主人搬走的时候留下来的
I figured that’s when the owners had moved out.
而且我也知道我不能再回我的公♥寓♥啦
And I also figured that I couldn’t go back to my apartment…
既然那些家伙发现了我
now that those bloodhounds were onto me.
现在最好就是去阿迪家呆几天
The idea was to get to Artie Green’s and stay there…
一直到我找到回俄亥俄的公车
until I could make that bus for Ohio.
一旦回到代顿
Once back in Dayton,
我会给那些债主们寄一张明信片
I’d drop the credit boys a picture postcard…
告诉他们去哪里找我那辆破车
telling them where to pick up thejalopy.
说实在的这栋房♥子很显眼
It was a great big white elephant of a place…
疯狂的人在疯狂的20年代建起来的
the kind crazy movie people built in the crazy ’20s.
房♥子看起来让人很不舒服
A neglected house gets an unhappy look.
看起来是该拆了
This one had it in spades.
就像”极度渴望”里那个老女人一样
It was like that old woman in Great Expectations…
那个穿着沤麻婚纱
that Miss Havisham in her rotting wedding dress
戴着破面纱的哈维夏姆小姐
and her torn veil…
出来现眼是因为没人愿意搭理她
taking it out on the world because she’d been given the go-by.
嗨 你 怎么这么晚
You there! Why are you so late?
怎么让我等了你这么长时间
Why have you kept me waiting so long?
快进来
In here.
我刚把车停在您的车♥库♥里
I just put my car in the garage. I had a blowout.
我的车爆胎了 我想或许…
I thought maybe…
-进来吧 -或许我该开着我的车…
– Go on in. – Maybe I better take my car and…
擦擦你的鞋
Wipe your feet.
往里走
Go on.
你穿的衣服不太对场合
You’re not properly dressed for the occasion.
-什么场合 -带他过来 马♥克♥思♥
– What’s the occasion? – Have him come up, Max.
-上楼 -请你听我说两句
– Up the stairs. – Suppose you listen for a minute.
夫人在等您
Madame is waiting.
等我
For me?
好吧
Okay.
如果您需要帮忙抬棺材的话 叫我就是啦
If you need any help with the coffin, call me.
这边
This way.
这里
In here.
我把他放在壁炉前的桌子上啦
I put him on my massage table in front of the fire.
他总是喜欢用棍儿拨火玩儿
He always liked fires and poking at them with a stick.
我想我们可以把他埋在花♥园♥里
I’ve decided we’ll bury him in the garden.
不犯法吧
Any city laws against that?
-我不知道 -反正我不在乎
– I wouldn’t know. – I don’t care anyway.
我想要一口白色的棺材 用缎子铺着
I want a white coffin, and I want it specially lined with satin.
白色或者是深粉红色
White or deep pink.
或者是红色 明亮的火红 让人兴奋
Maybe red. Bright, flaming red. Let’s make it gay.
那得要多少钱
How much will it be?
警告你 别看着我富就给我个出格的价钱
I warn you, don’t give me a fancy price just because I’m rich!
女士 你找错人啦
Lady, you got the wrong man.
我只是车爆胎了
I had some trouble with my car. Flat tire.
所以先在您的车♥库♥里停停 好去找个轮胎
I pulled into your garage until I could get a spare.
我还以为这栋房♥子没人住呢
I thought this was an empty house.
当然有人住 出去
It is not. Get out.
很抱歉 同时很遗憾您失去了朋友
I’m sorry. And I’m sorry you lost your friend.
而且我认为红色也不太适合
And I don’t think red is the right color.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!