我是说 是个不错的对话 事情会开始的
I mean, this is good dialogue here. It’ll play.
-会吗 -当然
– It will? – Sure.
尤其是当下面放音乐的时候 压过他们
Especially with lots of music underneath, drowning it out.
你是不是有时候也会恨你自己
Don’t you sometimes hate yourself?
经常
Constantly.
认真的说 这很不错
No, in all seriousness, this is really good.
跟你写东西真是有趣
It’s fun writing with you.
谢谢
Well, thanks.
诺玛是谁
Who’s Norma?
什么
Who’s who?
对不起 不过我并不是总翻别人的烟盒的
I’m sorry. I don’t usually read private cigarette cases.
啊 那个呀
Oh, that.
是我的一个朋友的
It’s from a friend of mine.
一个中年女士
A middle-aged lady.
非常笨 但是也很慷慨
Very foolish and very generous.
我得说 这是真金的
I’ll say. This is solid gold.
我给了她一些建议 关于一个愚蠢的剧本
I gave her some advice on an idiotic script.
听起来很老套
Oh, the old familiar story.
你帮了一个小孩儿过马路
You help a timid little soul cross a crowded street.
她后来成为亿万富翁
She turns out to be a multimillionaire…
然后把钱都留给了你
and leaves you all her money.
那是你的读者们的事儿 你了解每个情节
That’s the trouble with you readers… you know all the plots.
现在开始校对吧 第10页 水开的时候
Suppose you proofread page ten while the water boils.
-可以吗 -开始吧
– Okay? – Okay.
有时候 当我们卡壳儿的时候
Sometimes, when we got stuck…
我们就出去到这片沉睡的土地上走走
we’d make a little tour of the drowsing lot.
不用说什么话
Not talking much…
只是沿着房♥子间的小路踯躅
just wandering down alleys between the soundstages…
或者是穿过他们为第二天拍摄
or through the sets they were getting ready for
准备好的布景
the next day’s shooting.
事实上
As a matter of fact…
就是在一次散步的时候
it was on one of those walks
她第一次告诉了我关于她的鼻子的故事
when she first told me about her nose.
看看这条街
Look at this street.
全都是纸板 窟窿 伪造品 都是用镜子完成的
All cardboard, all hollow, all phony, all done with mirrors.
知道吗 我爱这条街甚于世上的任何一条街道
You know, I like it better than any street in the world.
可能因为我小时候就在这里玩吧
Maybe because I used to play here when I was a kid.
你过去干什么 童星
What were you, a child actress?
不 我就在离这儿不到两个街区的地方出生
No, I was born just two blocks from this studio…
就在柠檬树大道上
right on Lemon Grove Avenue.
我爸爸一直到死都是这里的首席电气师
My father was head electrician here till he died.
妈妈现在还在服装室工作
– Mother still works in wardrobe.
那你就是这里的第二代喽
– Second generation, huh?
第三代 我的祖母替白珍珠作特技
Third. Grandma did stunt work for Pearl White.
我来自一个电影世家
I come from a picture family.
本来他们希望我成为一个明星
Naturally they expected me to become a great star…
我用了十年时间上戏剧课 学言语 学舞蹈
so I had ten years of dramatic lessons, diction, dancing.
后来工作室搞了个选拔
Then the studio made a test.
你猜怎么的 他们不喜欢我的鼻子
Well, they didn’t like my nose.
我的明星之路倾斜了
Slanted this way a little.
我去找了个医生整了整鼻子
So I had it fixed.
他们又进行了选拔 并且为我的鼻子而着迷
They made more tests, and they were crazy about my nose.
但是他们又不满意我的表演
Only they didn’t like my acting.
-做得不错 -应该的
– Nice job. – It should be.
这花了我足足300块
It cost me $300.
这是我听到过的最不幸的事情了
That’s the saddest thing I ever heard.
也不是啦 那也教会我些东西
Not at all. It taught me a little sense.
我在信件室找了个工作 现在 我是个读者了
I got a job in the mail room, and now I’m a reader.
继续 贝蒂
Come clean, Betty.
在晚上你为那些不为人知的小传
At night you weep for those lost close-ups,
为那些快乐的瞬间而流泪
those gala openings.
不止一次
Not once.
在摄像机的另一头又怎么啦
What’s wrong with being on the other side of the cameras?
你会得到更多的乐趣
It’s really more fun.
为贝蒂·斯凯弗叫三声好
Three cheers for Betty Schaefer.
-现在我想亲你的鼻子 -如果你愿意的话
– I will now kiss that nose of yours. – Lf you please.
我可以说 你闻起来真的很特别吗
May I say that you smell real special?
应该是我新用的香波的味道
Must be my new shampoo.
不是因为香波
That’s no shampoo.
闻起来更像刚洗过的亚麻手帕的气味
It’s more like freshly laundered linen handkerchiefs…
像一辆崭新的汽车
like a brand-new automobile.
-你多大 -二十二
– How old are you, anyway? – TWenty-tWo.
聪明的姑娘
Smart girl.
没有什么能像你这个年龄一样令人神往
Nothing like being 22.
我建议 如果我们想共同完成剧本的话
And may I suggest that if we’re ever to finish this story…
你最好跟我保持两尺的距离
you stay at least two feet away from me.
一旦我离你太近了
The first time I come any closer,
就用你的鞋敲敲我
clunk me on the head with a shoe.
现在该回去继续工作了…
Now back to the typewriters…
走华盛顿广场回去吧
by way of Washington Square.
怎么回事儿 马♥克♥思♥
What is it, Max?
想洗车吗
Want to wash the car?
或者是业余时间做些间谍工作
Or are you doing a little spying in your off hours?
你一定是蹑手蹑脚地过来的
You must be very careful as you cross the patio.
夫人可能在看着你
Madame may be watching.
那我上楼
Will going up the kitchen stairs
不出去了可以吗
and undressing in the dark do it?
我不是在打听吉里斯先生每天晚上去哪儿
I’m not inquiring where Mr. Gillis goes every night.
干么不打听一下
Why don’t you?
我在写一个剧本
I’m writing a script…
而且马上就要完成了 什么也别想阻止我
and I’m gonna finish it no matter what.
我只是非常担心夫人
It is just that I am greatly worried about Madame.
我知道
Sure, you are.
我们不是在帮她…
And we’re not helping her any…
为了她编造一个又一个的谎言
feeding her lies and more lies,
让她以为要去拍电影了
getting herself ready for a picture.
如果她知道了真♥相♥怎么办
What happens when she finds out?
永远不会的
She never will.
那是我的事儿 我一直在这么做
That is my job, and it has been for a long time.
你必须理解
You must understand…
她16岁的时候我就发现她了
I discovered her when she was 16.
我把她造就成了一个明星
I made her a star…
我不会让她被毁掉的
and I cannot let her be destroyed.
你把她造就成一个明星
You made her a star?
是的
Yes.
我执导了她早期所有的电影
I directed all her early films.
那时候有三个青年导演
There were three young directors
对她许下了诺言
who showed promise in those days…
D·W·格利菲斯
D.W. Griffith…
塞希尔·B·德米利
Cecil B. DeMille…
还有马♥克♥思♥·范·梅尔林
and Max Von Mayerling.
而她让你做了仆人
And she’s turned you into a servant.
是我要求回来的 看起来很让人羞耻
It was I who asked to come back, humiliating as it may seem.
我可以继续我的事业
I could have continued my career.
只是我发现她离开我以后 我♥干♥任何事情都长不了
Only I found everything unendurable after she had left me.
你明白了吧
You see…
我是她的第一任丈夫
I was her first husband.
原来你在这儿 乔
You’re here, Joe.
你什么时候回来的
When did you come home?
乔 你去哪儿啦
Oh, Joe, where were you?
是个女人吧
Is it a woman?
我知道一定是个女人 她到底是谁
I know it’s a woman. Who is she?
为什么我不能问
Why can’t I ask you?
我一定要知道
I must know.
怎么啦
What’s the matter?
贝蒂 醒醒 干吗那么盯着我
Betty, wake up. Why are you staring at me like that?
啊 我有吗 对不起
Oh, was I? I’m sorry.
今晚你怎么回事儿
What’s wrong with you tonight?
什么问题
What is it?
我想起点事儿 不想提它
Something came up. I don’t want to talk about it.