but this Samantha just received a starred review from Publisher’s Weekly.
她的人生恍如初生
And life will never be the same again.
-嗨 爸爸 -恭喜你呢
-Hi, Dad. -Congratulations.
太谢谢了
Thank you so much.
这是我的男朋友 阿卢
And this is my boyfriend, Lou.
-很高兴见到你 -真高兴终于见到你本尊了
-Nice to meet you. -Very nice to finally meet you, yeah.
墨菲先生是个很有才华的作家
Mr. Murphy is a talented writer as well.
-他有如我的派翠西亚·海史密斯一般 -是这样啊
-He’s my Patricia Highsmith. -I don’t know.
萨曼塔 我能借你♥爸♥爸一用不
Samantha, can I steal your father for a little bit?
这里有很多年轻的作家
There’s so many young writers around here
他们都抢着想跟他见一面呢
who are just dying to meet him.
他是你的人了
He’s all yours.
快点 快点 过来
Come on. Come on. Come on.
-嗨 老姐 恭喜你 -谢谢你能来
-Hey, Sis. Congratulations. -Thank you so much for coming.
真高兴终于能和你见面
It’s so nice to finally meet you.
萨姆跟我说你是史蒂芬·金的超级粉丝
Sam tells me you’re a huge Stephen King fan.
我是他的宇宙级粉丝才对
I’m like the biggest Stephen King fan in the world.
我太喜欢《末日♥逼♥近》了 那是我的最爱
I love The Sand. It’s my favorite one.
什么 从什么时候开始的呢
What? Since when?
你指的是
What do you mean?
谁不爱史蒂芬·金呢
Who doesn’t like Stephen King?
她就不喜欢史蒂芬·金
She doesn’t like Stephen King.
-我不…-别理他们
-I don’t not… -let’s leave them.
-我们走…-她称自己是小说家
-Let’s get… -She calls herself a novelist.
你们继续闹腾 我们走了
You guys continue this. We’re going to go.
-妹纸们 -是
-Girls. -Yeah.
两份香槟
Two champagnes, please.
她几岁了
How old is she?
21岁
21.
18岁我都不信了
I wouldn’t believe you if you told me she was 18
还21呢
much less 21.
你几岁了呢
How old are you?
这是我的派对
This is my party.
别活灵活现的像贱♥货♥一样 没人会找你谈天的
Stop acting like a pussy. Nobody’s going to tell on you.
而且我还真考虑要不要炒了你呢
And I haven’t even told you about the big tip I’m going to leave you.
据我所知 这些都是你自己买♥♥单的
As far as I know, you ordered these drinks for yourself.
但我从没见过她
I didn’t even see her here.
这是您点的酒 女士 请享用
And here’s the drinks you ordered, Miss. Enjoy.
好的…
I will…
谢谢
Thank you.
萨曼塔
Samantha!
真抱歉…
Oh, sorry…
-别担心 今晚是属于你的 -开心点吧
-Don’t worry about it. It’s your night. -Go have fun.
女士们先生们 请安静 集中到这边来下
Ladies and gentlemen, could I have your kind attention, please.
如果你想到前头来的话就过来吧
You may come forward if you wish.
这些年来我一直想让威廉·博根斯
I have been trying to get William Borgens up here
到我的班上来讲课
to speak to my class for years.
他从没拒绝过我 但也从没答应过我
He’s never said no, but he’s never said yes, either.
今晚 我手握他的一个把柄
Tonight, I have him at a certain disadvantage.
现在这里就是我的班级了 比尔
My entire class is here, Bill.
现在我想要你上来讲些事
And I insist you come up here and say a few words.
女士们先生们 有请博根斯先生
Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Borgens.
尊敬的教授 尽管你看起来光鲜靓丽
Your professor, while a very nice man,
但也只是个卑鄙的贱♥人♥
is a sneaky son of a bitch.
莱斯利从没能让我来这里
The reason Leslie could never get me up here
讲授写作心得的原因
to talk about the process of writing
就是我一直都不知道我有什么能跟你们分享的
is I’m not sure I have much to say about it that could benefit you.
我本身都还是迷迷茫茫的呢
I still find it all very mysterious,
尽管离我写的第一本都这么多年了
years after I wrote my first book.
而且我也不清楚是什么让一个人
And I’m not sure what it is that compels a person
能坚持去进行他们所信的事
to continue to play make believe
即使是在他们成年之后
even after they’re an adult.
我最喜欢的书是雷蒙德·卡夫的一本短篇故事集
My favorite book is a collection of short stories by Raymond Carver
叫做《我们是怎么谈论爱的》
called What We Talk About When We Talk About Love.
在标题故事的末段上 卡夫说…
And in the closing lines of the title story, Carver says…
“我能听到我的心跳声”
“I could hear my heart beating.
“我能听到每个人的心跳声”
“I could hear everyone’s heart.
“我能听到人们坐着时发出的噪音”
“I could hear the human noise we sat there making.
“我们没人动过”
“Not one of us moved.
“即使是在房♥间灯光黯淡时”
“Not even when the room went dark.”
我想这就是写作了
And I think that that’s what writing is.
就是倾听心跳声
It’s listening for that beating heart,
当然我们听着的时候
and when we hear it,
我们的工作就是尽我们所能的去描述它
it’s our job to decipher it to the best of our abilities.
我在此是因为我女儿萨曼塔的书要出版了
I’m here because my daughter Samantha’s book is being published
现在你们还并不知情
in case you haven’t heard.
但这是她成功的心跳
This is her success.
我爱你 爸爸
I love you, Dad.
我也爱你
I love you, too.
我能坐这吗
This seat taken?
路易斯叫我来的
Louis invited me.
很好 这可是有一定风险的
Well, that was a calculated risk.
你到这多久了
How long you been here?
我已经在我的车里等了一个小时了
I was waiting in my car for about an hour
为的是鼓起进来这里的勇气
trying to build up the courage to come in.
这就是她19岁的样子
So that’s what 19 looks like.
-她已经长大成人了 -不
-She’s all grown up now. -No.
她还是个孩子呢
She’s still just a baby.
你要去跟她谈谈吗
You going to talk to her?
不知道呢
I don’t know.
我很怕
I’m scared.
对啊 她真吓人
Yeah, she’s scary.
她是我的毕生所有
She’s all I’ve done with my life,
但她却不想见到我
and she doesn’t want me.
你需要一些勇气吗
you want some courage?
免费的
Free of charge.
好的 当然
Yes, please.
你最喜欢的书…
Your favorite book…
约翰·契夫的《苹果世界》
John Cheever’s The World of Apples.
我给你拿了本亲笔签名的首版
I got you that signed first edition.
这是你最喜欢的书 是吧
That’s your favorite book, right?
-对 我真的很喜欢 -上帝
-Um, well, I really liked it. -Oh, Jesus.
我还跟你聊过该怎么读呢
I even told you what to read.
有时候是
Sometimes.
对不起
I’m sorry.
总之 她从我的书架上拿走了那书
Anyway, she swiped it from my library.
真的
She did?
是的
Yeah.
只有她会这么做
It could only have been her.
她知道这是你最喜欢的书
She thought that it was your favorite book.
这是我告诉她的
That’s what I had told her, and…
我想她希望能多了解点你
I think she was hoping to find some piece of you in it.
去跟你女儿说几句
Go talk to your daughter.
上
Yeah.
你能帮我签个名吗
Would you sign this for me?
你叫什么名字
Uh, what’s your name?
-萨姆 我可不想惹什么事 -好吗 我…
-Sam, I don’t want to cause a scene. -Really? I…
顺便说下 我叫路易斯
I’m Louis, by the way.
我们在电♥话♥上聊过吧
I believe we met over the phone.
很高兴见到你
Nice to meet you.
我也很高兴见到你
Nice to meet you, too.
好的 名字
Yeah. Name?
-别这样 萨姆 不要这样 -没事的 路易斯
-Come on, Sam, don’t do this. -It’s okay, Louis.
没名字 也没问题
No name, no problem.
看来我们只能签个签名
Guess we’ll go with a signature
-没什么其他的话语了 -萨姆
-and no personalized note. -Sam.
我只想跟你说…
I just wanted to tell you that…
我爱你
I love you.
我太爱你了
I love you so much.
我以你为荣
I’m so proud of you.
谢谢