然后他到帕斯卡女士的家
And he traveled to Ms. Pascal’s…
她给他做了肉馅糕和巧克力布丁
…where she made him meat loaf and chocolate pudding…
他们两个看了老电影
…and the two watched old movies.
那是个很愉快的夜晚
lt was a nice enough evening.
在其他场合下这个夜晚会很普通
And in any other circumstance it would’ve seemed commonplace.
实际上,唯一让那个夜晚不平凡的…
ln fact, the only thing that made this night significant…
就是接下来的那个早晨
…was the morning it preceded.
我要告诉你一件事
I have to teII you something.
是吗?
You do?
是的
I do.
是秘密吗? – 算是吧
Is it a secret? -Sort of.
说吧
TeII me.
我爱你
I adore you.
我也爱你
I adore you too.
就这个? – 不是
That it? -No.
我必须要告诉你
I have to teII you this.
我只要你仔细听
I just want you to Iisten carefuIIy.
好吧
Okay.
你可以从你卖♥♥出的食品中
You can deduct the vaIue of aII the food you give away…
…扣除一部分算作慈善捐助 – 哈罗德
…as a charitabIe contribution. -HaroId.
不,不,不 实际上那总数比你现在拒交的税还多
No, no, no. In fact it amounts to more than what you’re currentIy withhoIding.
而且不违反任何税法
And it doesn’t break any tax Iaws.
哈罗德,那意图就是违反税法
HaroId, the point is to break the tax Iaws.
我也想让这世界变得更美好,安娜
I wanna make the worId a better pIace too, Ana.
我想这个办法能让你免受牢狱之灾
I think that means keeping you out of jaiI.
好吧
Okay.
明白
Okay?
嗯 – 好
Yeah. -Okay.
如果你到这来
If you come over here…
在我耳边多谈谈税务的事情…
…and taIk a IittIe more tax taIk in my ear.
因为我非常喜欢
Because I Iike it so much.
过去两周以来哈罗德改变了很多:
Much had changed for Harold over the past few weeks:
他走路的姿势
His attitude towards work.
数数的习惯
His habitual counting.
他的爱情生活
His love life.
但是所有这些进行的变化中最重要的
But of all the transmutations Harold Crick had undergone…
也许就是今天在他上班路上…
…perhaps the most significant was that today on his return to work…
他没错过8点17分的克罗内克公车
…he was not late for the 8: 1 7 Kronecker bus.
哈罗德不知道的是
What Harold had not understood…
四周前的那个星期三…
…about that Wednesday four weeks prior…
他从路人那问来的时间…
…was that the time he received from his fellow commuter…
实际上,比实际时间晚了3分钟
…was, in fact, three full minutes later than the actual time…
因此,这时间比他先前生活中 和手表上设定的时间
…and, therefore, three full minutes later…
晚了3分钟
…than the time to which his watch and life had been previously set.
这不是最严重的错误
Not the worst of errors.
但是如果哈罗德不把他的手表 设定到错误时间
But if Harold had not set his watch to the incorrect time…
哈罗德会又一次刚好赶上8点17分 克罗内克公车
…Harold would have again barely caught the 8: 1 7 Kronecker bus.
并且他就不会在这个特别地星期五…
And he would not be approaching the bus stop…
准时在8点14分到达公车站
…precisely at 8: 1 4 this particular Friday.
对不起
Excuse me.
哈罗德?
HaroId?
另一个容易被忽略的事实…
An otherwise ignorable fact…
直到意想不到的事情发生了
…until the unthinkable occurred.
哦,天啊,哦,天啊
Oh, my God. Oh, my God.
大家待在座位上
I need for everyone to just stay seated.
别这样,孩子
Come on, son.
怎么回事?我没看到他 – 不是你的错
What happened? I didn’t see him. -It was not your fauIt.
他正尽量救那孩子 打电♥话♥找你的主管
He was trying to heIp the boy. Get your supervisor.
真不敢相信
I don’t beIieve this.
都是我的错 – 不是的
It was aII my fauIt, though. -No, it wasn’t.
他没事吧?
Is he okay?
看上去他还有呼吸 – 我觉得他没呼吸了
It Iooks Iikes he’s breathing. -I don’t think he’s breathing.
哦,天啊
Oh, my God.
进来
Come in.
对不起
Excuse me.
您是希尔伯特教授吗?
Are you Professor HiIbert?
是的
Yes.
嗨,我是凯伦·艾芙
Hi. I’m Karen EiffeI.
我想我们有个共同的熟人
I beIieve we have a mutuaI acquaintance.
请坐
PIease, sit down.
不,我只是顺路来…
No, I just came by to….
给
Here.
就这些? – 是的
Is that it? -Yes.
你读了吗?
Have you read it?
没什么问题吧?
Is that aII right?
是的
Yes.
我想,也许你对这个新结局感兴趣
I think, perhaps, you may be interested in the new ending.
下午好
Good afternoon.
嗨
Oh, hi.
你做了件勇敢的事情
It’s a pretty brave thing you did.
冲到公车前非常勇敢
Stepping in front of that bus was pretty brave.
有点傻,但很勇敢
Kind of stupid, but pretty brave.
嗯
Oh, yeah.
那孩子没事吧
Is that boy okay?
他没事,只是划破点皮
He’s just fine. Scratched up is aII.
不错
Oh, good.
我还行吗?
Am I okay?
你没死
WeII, you’re not dead.
另一方面,看上去你撞伤头部
On the other hand, it Iooks Iike you cracked your head…
腿脚三处骨折
…you broke three bones in your Ieg and foot…
四根肋骨骨折 左臂骨折
…you suffered four broken ribs, fractured your Ieft arm…
右动脉破裂,这本该置你于死地的
…and severed an artery in your right, which shouId’ve kiIIed you in minutes.
但令人吃惊的是…
But amazingIy…
你手表上一小块碎片堵住了动脉
…a shard of metaI from your watch obstructed the artery…
让出血量大为减少,救活了你的命
…keeping the bIood Ioss Iow enough to keep you aIive…
真够酷
…which is pretty cooI.
根据这些诊断
Yeah. So with some physicaI therapy…
休息几个月后,你就没事了
…a few months of rest, you shouId be fine.
算是吧,我们没法取出那片手表碎片
WeII, sort of. We weren’t abIe to remove the shard of watch…
否则要冒动脉破裂的危险
…from your arm without risking severe arteriaI damage.
你会好起来的,你的余生里
You’II be okay. You’II just have a piece of watch…
胳膊中都会嵌着一片手表碎片
…embedded in your arm the rest of your Iife.
你很命大,克里克先生
You’re very Iucky to be aIive, Mr. Crick.
嗯
Yeah.
莫卡特大夫,克里克先生有一位探望者 – 好
Dr. Mercator, Mr. Crick has a visitor. -Sure.
天啊,哈罗德 – 嘿
My God, HaroId. -Hey.
我没事 – 哈罗德
I’m okay. It’s aII right. -HaroId.
我没事
I’m fine.
哈罗德,不是的
HaroId, you’re not fine.
看看你,伤得这么严重
Look at you. You’re severeIy injured.
不,我没事 – 发生…发生了什么事?
No, I’m fine. -What–? What happened?
我冲到了公车前
I stepped in front of a bus.
什么?为什么?
What? Why?
那有个孩子,我要把他推到路边
There was a boy. I had to push him out of the way.
什么?
What?
我不能让那孩子被撞到
I had to keep this boy from getting hit.
你冲到公车前去救一个孩子?
You stepped in front of a bus to save a IittIe boy?
我别无选择
I didn’t have a choice.
我必须这样做
I had to.
这个…还好
It’s…. It’s okay.
不怎么好 – 不
It’s not great. -No.
还好,不赖
It’s okay. It’s not bad.
这不是这几年英文文学里最出色的一部
It’s not the most amazing piece of EngIish Iiterature in severaI years…
但是…还好
…but it’s okay.
你知道…
You know…
我想我还能接受“还好”
…I think I’m fine with ”okay.”
书剩下的部分就没什么意义了
It doesn’t make sense with the rest of the book though.
不,我会重写剩下的
No, not yet. I’II rewrite the rest.
我的助理说 她会回到出版商那…
My assistant said she’d go back to the pubIisher…
…再争取一些时间 – 为什么?
…and request more time. -Why?