我告诉你吧 因为他觉得如果他能讨好这无知的爱尔兰裔
I’ll tell you. Because he feels if he lays the butter on thick enough,
就能够轻而易举地获得自己想要的任何东西
he can wangle anything he wants from an ignorant Mick.
–不的 –为什么不?
– No. – Why, then?
他觉得你不是为了个人荣誉
Because he feels you’re not in it for personal glory.
而是因为你自己来自街头
Because you came from the streets yourself,
你热爱纽约人♥民♥
and you love the people of New York.
也许吧
Maybe.
但我更爱波旁酒
But I love bourbon more!
给你来啦
You have it.
–他给你留着一瓶呢 –我相信他会的
– He keeps the bottle for you. – Oh, I’m sure he does.
–他说这走私货是一流的 –谢谢
– He says the bootleg is top–class. – Thank you.
哦 真是个好孩子
Oh, you’re a good boy.
那么你呢?
So, what about you, hm?
–你怎么看待你的上司? –我吗 先生?
– What’s your view of your boss? – Me, sir?
–是的 就是你 我忘了你的名字 –阿里尔·波特
– Yes, you. I’ve forgotten your name. – Ariel Porter.
–阿里尔? –是的
– Ariel? – Yes.
这是个什么名字?
What kind of name is that?
这是一个希伯来名字 先生 意思是“上帝的狮子”
It’s a Hebrew name, sir. Meaning ‘Lion of God’.
–谁给你起的名字? –我父亲
– Who gave you that name? – My father.
–你从哪里来的?–俄克拉何马州
– Ah. Where you from? – Oklahoma.
俄克拉荷马州有很多犹太人吗?
Many Jews in Oklahoma, are there?
不 先生 我们偏离主题了
No, sir. We strayed off–track.
你对罗伯特·摩西有什么看法?
And what feelings do you have towards Robert Moses?
我觉得他很有远见
Well, I feel he’s a visionary.
哦 远见可是个大词啊 波特
Oh, visionary’s a big word, Porter.
他让人们振作了起来
He’s lifting the people up and giving them the opportunity
给了他们前所未有的自♥由♥
for a kind of freedom they’ve never had before.
是这样吗?
Is that right?
《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》是一份很有权重的报纸
The New York Times is an important newspaper.
–你这么认为吗? –是的
– You think so? – I do.
被全球一些最有影响力的人所阅读
It’s read by some of the most influential people on the planet.
–他们是这样说的 –然而 不知何故
– So they tell me. – And yet, somehow,
摩西先生却让他们对他趋之若鹜 记者们都喜欢他
Mr Moses has them eating out his hand. Reporters love him.
确实如此 他知道他们想要什么 就给了他们什么
They do indeed. He knows what they want, and he gives it to them.
你甚至可以说 这才是他真正的天才所在
You might even say that’s where his real genius lies.
摩西先生是新的一类人
He’s a new kind of man, Mr Moses.
他相信报道你的方式和你的工作
The man who believes the way you’re written about
一样重要
is as important as what you do.
我只能说 每天来这上班是我的荣幸
All I can say, it’s a privilege to come to work every day.
–荣幸 是吗? –我能看出他很有争议
– Oh, a privilege, is it? – Oh, I can see he’s controversial.
也许他不像我们在学校学到的那样尊重法律
Maybe he doesn’t treat the law with the respect we learned at school,
但在一代人中只会有一次
but it’s only once in a generation
出现一位伟大的建设者去指明了方向
that a great builder comes along and shows the way.
这就是普通人所无法想象的愿景
That’s when you’re party to a vision that’s denied to ordinary men.
–你是这愿景的参与者 不是吗?–是的 以某种微不足道的形式
– You’re party to that vision, are you? – Yes, sir, in some humble way.
我想知道 你有没有听说过这样一句话 “做一个伟人”
I wonder, have you ever heard the saying, ‘It is easier to be a great man
“比做一个好人容易得多?”
‘than it is to be a good man’?
没有
No.
–我从来没听说过 –你现在听到啦
– I’ve never heard that. – You’ve heard it now.
–我喜欢这种情感 –是的 我也喜欢
– I like the sentiment. – Mm, yes. I like it, too.
我的老天啊 波特
For Christ’s sake, Porter,
你不知道不能给州长喝波旁酒吗
don’t you know not to give the governor bourbon?
–摩西 你到底去哪儿了? –你脑子进水了吗?
– Moses, where the hell have you been? – Do you have no sense?
州长夫人跪在地毯上 跪在那上面 去求我
The governor’s wife went down on her knees to me, on the carpet, on the carpet,
“不管你做什么 都不要让艾尔接近酒”
saying, ‘Whatever you do, don’t let Al near the hooch.’
而五分钟后 这个厚颜无♥耻♥的骗子 就要来求着我帮忙
And this bare–faced liar, in five minutes, will be asking me for favours.
我从不去求 我只要求我应得的
I never ask favours. I asked my due.
我告诉你一件事 他这辈子都没和我妻子说过话
I’ll tell you one thing, he’s barely spoken to my wife in his life!
–我们一直在说话 –我不这么认为
– We speak all the time. – I don’t think so.
她说 “给他苏打水 每小时一瓶 最多不超过一小时”
She says, ‘Give him soda water. One an hour, on the hour, at the very most.’
–我妻子受不了他 –凯瑟琳崇拜我
– My wife can’t stand him! – Catherine worships me!
来吧 你这狗东西!
Come here, you dog!
–到这来! –好啊!
– Ha–ha! Come here! – Yeah!
好吧 当我在海水中游泳的时候
OK. While I was swimming in the brine,
州长也正在私酒中畅游呢
the governor here was swimming in bootleg whisky,
根据他身上的味道来判断 是纯麦威士忌
to judge from the smell of him – pure rye.
考虑到我度过的这一天为什么不呢?
And after the day I’ve had, why would that not be so?
–你在抱怨吗? –换做是你 你也会抱怨的
– You’re complaining, are you? – You’d be complaining in my shoes.
在世界上最伟大的州经营着世界上最伟大的城市?
Running the greatest city in the world, in the greatest state in the world?
–我会抱怨吗?我不这么认为 –你想要做我的工作 是吗?
– I’d be complaining? I don’t think so. – So, you want my job, do you?
–我想要吗? –是的 你想当州长吗?
– Do I want it? – Yeah, do you want to be Governor?
艾尔 告诉我巴士什么时候来 我立马就把你推下去
Why, Al, tell me when the bus is coming, and I’ll be there to push you under it.
那你♥他♥妈♥还得去排队吧!
Ha–ha! You’ll join a fucking line!
–很明显 州长 你了解我的团队吗? –我想我了解啦
– Obviously, Governor, you know my team? – Yeah, I believe I do.
–芬努拉 阿里尔… –我已经遇上过一两次啦
– Finnuala, Ariel… – I’ve come upon them once or twice.
当然啦 他们告诉我 你偶尔会在我不在的时候过来
Of course you have. They tell me you visit occasionally when I’m not here.
–的确如此 –路过偷看一下设计图
– I do, indeed. – Dropping by to sneak a look at the plan.
–我欣赏年轻人 –他们是经过选拔的
– I admire young people. – They’re hand–picked.
他们和你一样在去为着建公路和公园道
And are they as crazy as you about causeways and parkways
高速公路或其他所有道抓狂吗?
and expressways and all the other ways?
好吧 他们现在是了
Well, they are now.
我教导他们为公众服务
I’ve taught them to serve the public
把人们从丑陋和肮脏中解放出来
and to free the people from ugliness and squalor,
让他们看到比他们生活的牲口笼子要好得多的东西
to give them a view of something better than the animal cages in which they live.
–那我们不打扰你了 –不!和我们一起
– We’ll leave you alone. – No! Stay with us.
–你确定吗 先生? –你介意吗 鲍勃?
– Are you sure, sir? – Do you mind, Bob?
那让他们留下来 让他们学点实际的东西是好的
Let them stay. No, it’s good for them to learn the practical stuff,
如果这是你的建议的话 州长
if that’s what you’re suggesting, Governor.
总有一天 我们都要学会如何做事
One day or another, we all have to learn how the thing is done.
–也许我们会的 –他们会在倾听中学习的
– Yeah, perhaps we do. – And they’ll learn by listening.
但你确定你自己 鲍勃 曾经学过怎么做这件事吗?
But are you sure that you yourself, Bob, have ever learnt how the thing is done?
–我? –就是你 鲍勃
– Me? – You, Bob.
–对 –你为什么这么问?
– Yeah. – What makes you ask that?
我马上就要参加他妈的选举了 记得吗?
I’m about to fight a fucking election, remember?
原来如此
So you are.
这是一场关键的选举 每一张选票都很重要 你知道这意味着什么吗?
A close election in which every vote is going to count. You know what that means?
我必须趴在人行道上 再跪在那上面
I have to crawl down the sidewalk on my hands and knees,
–去乞求人们喜欢我 –他们喜欢你的 州长
– begging the people to like me. – They do like you, Governor.
不错 但这不并是你曾忍♥受过的屈辱
Sure, but it’s not an indignity you’ve ever had to endure.
你们的上司太过崇高
You see, team, your boss is far too grand
不屑于卷入那低俗的
to get himself involved in the vulgar business
–竞选活动中 –我从未尝试过
– of getting elected. – I’ve never tried.
–他从来没有 –我从没这样做过
– He never has. – I’ve never had to.
他是在让其他人代他参选
He gets other people to stand for election on his behalf.
州长 事情并非如此
Governor, that isn’t quite the way it is.
换一种说法就是 “不愿承担风险”
‘Wouldn’t take the risk’ is another way of putting it.
我并不反对冒险 竞选公职 这不是我的专长
I’m not against risk, just standing for public office, not my specialty.
你是知道的 选举是在做一种骇人的评判
An election’s a terrible sort of judgement, you know.
那是对一个人品格的评判 这是无法回避的事实
A judgement on a man’s character. There’s no way of getting around it.
–这很可怕 –我相信是的
– It’s frightening. – I’m sure it is.
你要去询问了数百万人对你的看法 就想想这个!
You ask so many million people what they think of you. Imagine that!
所以我还是不必了 谢谢
That’s why I’d rather not, thank you.
你并不总是喜欢得到那该死的答案
And you’re not always going to like the fucking answer.
别这样 州长 这怎么回事 你赢得的选举比任何人都多
Come on, Governor, what is this? You’ve won more elections than any man alive.
你竞选过多少次公职了?
How many times have you run for public office?
我想可能是19次
I’m thinking it’s probably 19.
–你还不清楚吗? –就是19次
– You don’t know exactly? – It’s 19.
–那你赢过多少次? –19次
– And how many times have you won? – 19.
好啊 这不得啦
Well, there you are!
看啊 这就是我和鲍勃的区别
You see, that’s the difference between Bob and me.
你的摩西先生不喜欢争权夺利
Your Mr Moses doesn’t like to fight for power.
他更喜欢让别人替他获得权力
He prefers to let others acquire it for him.
–摩西先生 一向如此 –到底是哪方面如此了?
– With Mr Moses, it’s always the same. – In what way is it the same, exactly?
–他会去追求他想要的东西 –你也一样 州长
– He goes after what he wants. – Well, and so do you, Governor.
而且他并不在意树敌
And making enemies doesn’t bother him.
他可以随心所欲地四处树敌
He feels free to go around making as many enemies as he chooses.
–好吧 我不是故意的 –原来不是吗?
– Well, I don’t make them deliberately. – Oh, don’t you?
不是
No.
我的经验是
It’s my experience
如果你的上司看到对面街上有人
that if your boss sees someone on the other side of the street,