and bringing with you, it seems, a good part of Jones Beach.
–我向你道歉 –你还敢说
– I apologise. – And you dare to tell me
–我们必须向暴民低头? –我可没这么说
– that we must bow to the mob? – I’ve not said that.
我没有收到那份表明人♥民♥现已掌控着一切的告知书
你肯定不会怀疑人♥民♥有权利吧?
Surely you don’t doubt that people have rights?
–当然啦 –这好
– Certain rights. – Good.
但并没有凌驾于财产权之上的权利
But no rights which overrule the rights of property.
艾尔·史密斯教给我的另一个道理是:医治民♥主♥弊端的良方…
Another thing Al Smith taught me: the cure for the evils of democracy is…
是更多的民♥主♥
more democracy.
如果你相信这一点 那你比你看起来还要蠢
If you believe that, you’re stupider than you look.
这总是有可能的
That’s always possible.
–你说人们会涌出城市 –肯定的
– The people will spill out of the cities? – Assuredly.
带着他们的野餐篮子 他们的歌♥声
With their picnic baskets and their songs
–和他们肮脏的孩子 –的确如此
– and their filthy children? – Indeed.
为什么他们一定要来这里?
Why do they have to come here?
琼斯海滩距离时代广场仅有 25 英里
Jones Beach is a mere 25 miles from Times Square.
–为什么他们不能来享受呢? –因为他们有了科尼岛
– Why are they not free to enjoy it? – Because they have Coney Island.
–别了吧 –有了布莱顿海滩
– Oh, no… – They have Brighton Beach.
你也知道的 这些地方已是开放的下水道了
These places are open sewers, as well you know,
由卖♥♥熏鲑鱼的和百吉饼的商贩掌控着
presided over by lox and bagel merchants.
充斥着庸俗的广♥告♥和谁也不感兴趣的娱乐项目
Awash with tawdry advertisements and so–called amusements, which amuse no one.
我最鄙视的就是那木板路了
If there’s one thing I despise, it’s a boardwalk.
你是说现在琼斯海滩也要变成下水道了?
And now Jones Beach, you say, is to be a sewer too?
一点也不 我在计划一件更高大上的事情
No, not at all. No, I am planning something much more elevating.
为什么你见证了这完美的事物 却马上要去玷污它?
Why do you arrive at something perfect and immediately set out to defile it?
我保证它的美丽不会被破坏
Its beauty will remain unspoiled, I promise,
但前提是你得同意我的安排
but only if you consent to my arrangements.
–我提议修建两条高速公路 –我听说啦
– Now, I am proposing two highways. – I have heard.
南州立公园大道 和 北州立公园大道
The Southern State Parkway and the Northern State Parkway.
–你就是这么叫它们的吗?–新路 没有红绿灯
– Is that what you call them? – New roads, free of traffic lights,
雕琢于绚丽的森林和公园之中
sculpted among gorgeous woods and parks.
是要从那森林和公园穿过 摩西先生 而不是压过
Across gorgeous woods and parks, Mr Moses, not among.
长岛最大的污点一直都是
The great scandal of Long Island has always been
道路的破败不堪 显然是故意失修
the desperate state of its roads, kept clearly in deliberate disrepair.
故意的?你怎么证明?
Deliberate? What proof do you have?
这是土地持有者阻挠旅者的策略
It’s a strategy by landowners to frustrate travel.
你是在指责我们阻碍了他们吗?
Are you accusing us of running them down?
–是的 –有什么证据?
– I am. – With what evidence?
每年夏天 那些敢于前来的几个勇者
Every summer, those few adventurous souls
都会因发动机过热而停下
who dare to head this way are brought to a halt,
那都是因为道路维护不善
as their overheated engines expire on badly maintained tracks.
有人想尽一切办法让他们望而却步
Everything possible is done to discourage them.
再不会这样了 我的新公园路将会使进发变得与到达一样吸引人
Well, no longer. My new parkways will make travelling as attractive as arriving.
我们已经开会讨论过这些道路了
We have already met to discuss these roads.
–谁开会了? –对此感兴趣的各方
– Who has met? – The interested parties.
–这是一场公开会议吗?–别开玩笑了
– Was this a public meeting? – Don’t be ridiculous.
你应该知道那些家族的名字的
You would know the names of the families who were there.
–我猜想得到 –那请说
– I can guess at them. – Go ahead.
–嗯?–是说真的
– Hm? – No, really.
–我猜摩根家族也参与了 –当然 摩根大通出席了
– I would hazard the Morgans. – Certainly. The JP Morgans were present.
–哈克尼斯家族(电影业)? –对的
– The Harknesses? – Yes.
–弗里克家族(钢铁业)?–对的
– The Fricks? – Yes.
–温思罗普家族(政界)? –对的
– The Winthrops? – Yes.
惠特尼(金融业)? 麦凯(通信业)?
菲普斯(钢铁业)? 斯普雷克尔斯(糖业)?
The Whitneys? The Mackays? The Phipps? The Spreckels?
太对啦 你的消息太灵通了
Correct. You are dangerously well–informed.
事实上 北岸这块的大地主家族都是这样的
In fact, all the great landowning families of the North Shore.
不仅仅是北岸 先生 南岸也是
Not just the North, sir. The South Shore also.
会议上决定了什么?
And what was decided at this meeting?
–是你肯定期待的 –那倒是什么?
– What you must expect. – Which is?
慷慨激昂且毫不妥协地反对了你的所有规划
Impassioned and intransigent opposition to all your plans.
–我明白了 –是团结 有组织且坚定的
– I see. –Unified, organised and unyielding.
在会议上 你们夺取土地的方法被拿来与拿破仑相提并论
At the meeting, your methods of seizing land were compared to those of Napoleon.
天呐
Crikey.
–感谢 –你要走了?
– Thank you. – Are you leaving?
–是的 为什么不呢?–我们还没开始谈呢
– Yes. Why not? – We’ve scarcely begun to talk.
–又如何? –我本来以为我们会互相交流的
– So? – I had imagined we would engage.
我是来为了听到的 而我已经听到啦
I came here to listen. I’ve listened.
–你就说完了?–这是规划过程的一部分
– You’re done? – It’s part of the planning process.
今后 当有人问我“你是否与规划的异议者见过面吗?”
Henceforth, when I’m asked, ‘Did you meet with the critics of the scheme?’
我就可以说“我和他们见过面了” 我们称之为咨♥询♥意见
I’ll be able to say, ‘I met with them.’ We call it consultation.
–你来了还不到十分钟 –我还需要花更长时间吗?
– You’ve hardly been here ten minutes. – Do I need more?
摩西 你就不能为自己的提议辩护吗?
Moses, are you not able to defend your own proposals?
能吗?我能的
Able? Yes, I am able.
不是我自夸 但我曾是牛津学生会的主席
Not to brag, but I was president of the Oxford Union.
–真的吗?–我还能补充
– Indeed? – I may add,
我是第一个获此殊荣的美国人
the first American to be so honoured.
我很擅长辩论
I excel at debate.
问题不在于我是否有能力 而在于我是否愿意
The question is not whether I am able, it’s whether I am willing,
因为那大门本就对我紧闭
given that the door is shut against me.
试试呗
Try.
很好
Very well.
你是想教我怎么做一个美国人 但要我得提醒你
You seek to tell me what it is to be an American, but may I remind you
–美国主义的另一条原则是什么吗? –那是什么?
– of the other principle of Americanism? – And what is that?
我们的国家是如何快速发展起来的?
How has our country managed to advance so fast?
我们是如何超越世界上所有其他经济体的?
How have we overtaken every other economy in the world?
告诉我呀
Tell me.
资本主义的动力就是躁动不安 没有什么是能满足我们的
The dynamo of capitalism is restlessness. Nothing is ever enough for us.
没有什么能一劳永逸的 我们一直都在前进
Nothing is ever settled. We’re always on the move.
–我同意 –你知道优胜美地吗?知道黄石公园吗?
– I agree. – You know Yosemite? You know Yellowstone?
那些都是国家公园 也都很不错
These are national parks, and very fine they are, too.
但我有个新的想法
But I have a new idea.
我要建起州立公园
I’ll create state parks,
大♥片♥没经开垦的沃土 你可以在那整日徒步
huge swathes of untamed countryside where you can hike all day,
呼吸新鲜空气 接着下到水里
fill your lungs, and then go on down to the water.
你觉得会是什么样子?
How do you think it’s gonna look?
如果我回到城市去告诉那已沸腾的群众们
How will it appear, to the broiling masses out there,
说我计划建立一个海滨天堂 一个洋溢着活力 健康与闲适的场所
if I go to the city and tell them that the plans I have for a beachside paradise,
但这计划被一些老男人的意愿给阻挠了
a place of vigour and health and relaxation,
那会出现什么样的情景呢?
are being stymied at the will of a few old men?
–你就是这样形容我们的吗? –还不准确吗?
– Is that how you would describe us? – Is it not accurate?
请记住 先生 你从那些被鄙视的
Remember, sir, you made your millions
犹太佬和流浪汉身上赚了几百万 他们就住在你持有的公♥寓♥里
out of the despised kikes and wops living in the tenements you own.
现在你希望我回去告诉那些工人们
And now you wish me to go back and tell the workers
你不打算让他们在乡下过一天好日子?
that you intend to deny them a day out in the country?
是在我们的这里
In our part of the country.
如果你继续排斥他们 你可能将面临一场激烈的斗争
If you continue to shut them out, you may find you have a fight on your hands.
–我们欢迎这斗争 –好啊!那我也准备好了
– We welcome the fight! – Good! I too am ready for it.
一旦长岛的土地所有者意识到 他们晚上都不能上♥床♥睡觉
Once the landowners of Long Island realise they can no longer go to bed at night
就因为他们害怕一觉醒来发现自己的财产被侵占了
for fear they wake up to find their property’s been appropriated,
那我们就将迎来无政♥府♥状态!
then we shall we welcoming anarchy!
不!
No!
这是民♥主♥
Democracy.
弗格斯!
Fergus!
无论如何 此事将依法执行
Whatever. The matter will be settled by law.
弗格斯 摩西先生要走啦
Fergus, Mr Moses is finished here.
把他带到车道尽头那去
Leave him at the end of the drive.
“他是个很难伺候的人
‘He’s a hard man to work for.
他有着很高的标准”
‘He has high standards.’
第一天就有人这么跟我说了
That’s what someone told me on the first day.
然后他们又说 “如果你觉得他对你很苛刻 那我向你保证
And then they added, ‘And if you think he’s hard on you, let me assure you,
他对自己更加苛刻“
‘he’s so much harder on himself.’
他们总是这么说 不是吗?
They always say that, don’t they?
去说这上司的?
About the bosses?
“他对自己太苛刻了”
‘He’s so much harder on himself.’
好像那有什么意义似的
As if that meant anything at all.
是因为这很容易 对自己苛刻是很容易的
Because it’s easy. It’s easy to be hard on yourself.
我就是这样 我觉得你也一样
I am. I should think you are, too.
因为这是你自己的选择
Because it’s your own choice.
但当别人对你苛刻时 那就不一样了
But when someone else comes down on you, that’s different.
因为你别无选择
Because there is no choice.
要么去接受 要么就让路