Good. I’ll do it, Bob.
–我会为你留着楼梯上的灯的 –谢谢
– I’ll leave the stair light on for you. – Thank you.
你最好拿上我的钥匙
And you’d better have my key.
如果你需要推荐信 我很乐意给你写一封
If you need a reference, I’d be happy to give you one.
–嗯 你可真好 –毕竟我们有段美好的时光
– Well, that’s kind of you. – After all, we had good times.
–的确如此 –那些时光确实美好
– We certainly did. – They were fine times.
你有什么想法吗?你可能会去哪?
Any idea what you might be going to?
老实说 我还没来得及考虑
Honest to God, I hadn’t got round to thinking.
也许找一些不需要推倒东西的工作吧
Maybe something which doesn’t involve knocking things down.
如果你愿意 我可以给几个人打电♥话♥ 帮你打点关系
Well, I can call a few people if you like, call in a few favours.
毕竟有些人欠我人情
God knows, people owe me.
谢谢 但我不需要
I won’t need that, thanks.
我更想自己去找
I’d rather do it on my own.
几年后
A couple of years later,
市政♥府♥将华盛顿广场完全封闭 禁止车辆通行
the city sealed Washington Square off from traffic altogether.
没有人抱怨
Nobody complained.
通过社区行动
Then, by community action,
我们阻止了横穿城市的高速公路 苏荷区得以幸存
we stopped the cross–town expressways, and SoHo survived.
重获新生
Survived and was reborn.
20世纪60年代到来时 洛克菲勒州长赶走了摩西
When the 1960s came, Governor Rockefeller got rid of Moses.
他已经连续掌权四十年了
He’d enjoyed 40 years of continuous power
他的名字与13个不同的职位挂钩
and his name had been on 13 different jobs.
我陪他走到了最后
I stayed with him to the end.
我是在六十年代末举家搬到多伦多的
Me, I moved my family to Toronto at the end of the ’60s,
因为我想让我的儿子们避免应征入伍
because I wanted my sons to avoid the draft.
那时我已经和美国一刀两断了
I was done with the US by then.
1965年的世博会可谓是一场惨剧
The World’s Fair in 1965 was kind of a fiasco
因为摩西拒绝修建地铁延长线以便参观者前往
because Moses refused to build a subway extension to get people there.
毕竟 地铁可以运送任何人
After all, a subway would have transported just anyone at all.
“生命力取决于其功能”
‘Vitality is dependent on function.
“而当功能衰退时 生命也理应衰退”
‘And when function decays, so does life.’
鲍勃·摩西永远无法看到
Bob Moses never lived to see the day
汽车成为人类的敌人的那一天
when the car became man’s enemy, not his friend.
我成为了一名建筑师
I became an architect.
后来 在多年来无尽的规划会议上
Later, at endless planning meetings over the years,
我听到有人绝望地叹气说
I would hear someone sigh in despair and say,
“这座城市需要一个人来发号♥施令”
‘What this city needs is one man to take a strong hand.’
我会想 “嗯….
And I’d think, ‘Hm…
“也许吧”
‘Maybe.’
我很幸运
I was lucky.
我曾见证了纽约市各种背景的人们共同生活的时光
I’d known New York when everyone from all backgrounds lived together.
但经过我们的努力保护 格林威治村和苏荷区成了
But our efforts to preserve Greenwich Village and SoHo succeeded
最终成为了这世界上最昂贵的地♥产♥之一
in transforming it into the most expensive piece of real estate in the world.
曾经的社区被清洗一空 只剩下了富人
What was once a community was cleansed of everyone but the rich.
格林威治村得到了拯救 但也遭到了破坏
The Village was saved, but it was also destroyed.
这到底是罗伯特-摩西的错 还是我的错
Whether that was Robert Moses’ fault or whether it was mine,
我真的说不清楚
I really can’t say.
城市已经变了 但鲍勃仍未改变
The city changed, but Bob couldn’t.
我已经工作够啦
I’d worked enough.
毕竟 我们已经留下了自己的足迹
And after all, nobody could say we hadn’t left our mark.
生活并非人们期望的那样
Life is not great for a lot of people.
在乡间驱车郊游 在海滩肆意漫游 这或许能把烦忧一扫而空
A drive in the country, a day out at the beach, and you may forget.
我喜欢沿着海滩散步 我会脱下衣服去游泳
I walk the strand. I love it. I take off my clothes, and I swim.
我游到胆及之处
I swim as far as out as I dare.
当畏惧涌上心头
And then when I begin to get frightened,
我却游得愈远…超越一切
I swim out… further.