我们以前从未听说过简·雅各布斯 对吧?
We’d never heard of Jane Jacobs, who had?
她看起来像个家庭主妇 所以没人注意到她
She looked like a housewife, that’s why no one had noticed her.
罗伯特·摩西已经在南布朗克斯开辟了一条高速公路
Robert Moses had driven an expressway through the South Bronx,
还开辟了长岛 所以他有过那种经历
and he’d opened up Long Island, so he had history.
他击败了贫民窟居民 也击败了贵族
He’d beaten the slum–dwellers and he’d beaten the aristocrats.
但现在 他正在与一个更致命的敌人斗争
But now, he was taking on a far deadlier enemy,
一个无人能敌的敌人
the one no one ever beats.
这一次
This time,
他是在与中产阶级斗争
he was fighting the middle classes.
–你在等我 –是的
– You waited for me. – Yes.
–怎么样?–和你想的一样糟
– How was it? – As bad as you’d expect.
–我很抱歉 –我不想谈这个
– I’m sorry. – I don’t want to talk about it.
–我无意打扰 –那你 海勒小姐 你也留下来了吗?
– I didn’t mean to intrude. – And you, Miss Heller, you stayed also?
–是的 –我在想 你有对象吗?
– Yes. – I’m wondering, do you have a young man?
事实上 我有
I do, as a matter of fact.
他晚上会等你吗?
He waits for you in the evening?
他正在学医 所以也会工作到很晚
He’s studying to be a doctor, so he works late also.
但谁工作更晚呢?
But who works later?
–总会是我 –很好
– Almost always me. – Good.
我们有个坏消息
We have bad news.
–这是你留下来的唯一原因吗? –不
– Is that the only reason you stayed? – No.
不 我留下来是为了确定你没事
No, I stayed to be sure you were all right.
–我没事 我怎么会不好呢? –我很担心你
– I’m all right. Why would I not be? – I was concerned for you.
收好你的担忧
Park your concern.
还有 让你了解一下最新情况
And also, to bring you up to date.
埃莉诺·罗斯福(前总统夫人)已经加入了委员会
Eleanor Roosevelt has joined the committee.
–罗斯福夫人? –是的
– Mrs Roosevelt? – Yeah.
–她加入了哪个委员会? –拯救华盛顿广场委员会
– Which committee has she joined? – To save Washington Square.
–这不正是我们意料之中的吗?–也许吧
– Isn’t that what we’d expect? – Maybe.
在美国还剩下别的棘手的问题她没去支持的吗?
Is there a vexatious cause in America which does not attract her support?
只要罗斯福夫人能以此显示自己的美德
As long as Mrs Roosevelt can display herself as virtuous thereby.
是的 但她也写了一则专栏
Yes, but she’s also written a column.
–在哪? –在《纽约邮报》上 明天就会发布
– Where? – The New York Post. It appears tomorrow.
–你有那的副本吗? –你想读读看吗?
– You have a copy? – Do you want to read it?
不想 歌♥德 能读 席勒 能读 亚里士多德 经常读
Hardly. Goethe, yes. Schiller, yes. Aristotle, regularly.
但这罗斯福夫妇的 我这辈子都不会读的
But the Roosevelts, no. Never in my life.
她说了什么?告诉我要点
What does she tell us? Just give me the gist.
她说高速公路将破坏社区的基本特征
She says the highway will destroy the essential character of the neighbourhood,
–应该推迟修建 –而更重要的是
– and it should be postponed. – And the more important question.
什么?
Yes?
罗斯福夫人是否知道公路的具体走向?
Has Mrs Roosevelt spotted where it’s going?
不 这没人知道
No. Nobody has.
我每次见到那个女人都想打她那副愚蠢的自♥由♥派面孔
I never see that woman without wanting to punch her stupid liberal face.
就这样?你觉得我们可以就这样算了吗?
And is that it? You feel we can just leave it at that?
–你希望我怎么做? –我在问你要不要回应
– What would you prefer me to do? – I’m asking if you want to reply.
给《纽约邮报》?给一个满腹怨气的女人?
To the Post? To a woman with a grievance?
–我倒不清楚她有没有怨气 –她已经被时代淘汰了
– I’m not sure what her grievance is. – The world is leaving her behind.
她的丈夫都对她不忠 没有人喜欢她
Her husband was unfaithful. Nobody likes her. Take your pick.
–她指出了矛盾的地方 –哪里矛盾啦?
– She points out the paradox. – What paradox is that?
她说你是靠建公园起家的
She says you made your name creating parks,
而现在你却想要摧毁一个公园
and now you want to destroy one.
当然 告诉她我还会继续的 不是吗?
Sure. Tell her from me, I’ll still be ahead, won’t I?
我将纽约市的绿化面♥积♥增加了35000英亩
I’ve doubled the green space in New York City by 35.000 acres.
我还增加了动物园 娱乐中心 球场
I’ve added zoos, recreation centres, ball fields,
17英里长的海滩和658个游乐场
17 miles of beach and 658 playgrounds.
告诉她 我的良心是安宁的 让她死去
Tell her my conscience is at peace and to go fuck herself.
–我很想 但我不能 –为什么不呢?
– Well, I’d like to, but I can’t. – Why not?
–因为她说了些别的 –还有什么?
– Because she says something else. – What else?
她建议完全禁止车辆进入广场
She suggests closing the square to traffic altogether.
–这是她的计划吗? –是的
– That’s her plan, is it? – Yes.
–这就是她的主意吗? –是的
– That’s her idea? – Yes.
这注定失败的!
It’s doomed!
这太荒谬了
It’s ridiculous.
我担心它可能会引起公众的注意
I fear it may capture the public imagination.
她认为汽车正在扼杀这座城市 应该有一些地方不允许车辆通行
She believes cars are strangling the city, certain areas should be closed to them.
她确实这么认为吗?
Does she indeed?
她说摩西先生只希望车辆能畅通
She says all Mr Moses wants is for cars to flow.
而她希望的是人们能下车步行
What she wants is for people to get out of their cars and walk.
她是不是疯了? 我好像要让她得逞了
Is she out of her head? I’m almost inclined to let her have her way.
她有没有想过第八街会发生什么?
Does she have any idea what will happen on 8th Street?
–她谈到了这一点 –她能想象那拥堵的程度吗?
– She deals with that point. – Can she imagine the level of congestion?
她相信 这恰恰相反 一旦人们被告知要避开某条特定路线
She believes, on the contrary, once people are told to avoid a particular route,
他们将小心地去避免接近潜在的问题地点
they will take care not to find themselves anywhere near a potential trouble spot.
她相信这个是吗?
She believes that, does she?
她相信 和增加广场周围地区的道路数正好相反
Far from increasing the traffic in the areas around the square,
关闭广场实际上才会使交通变得更通畅
she believes closing the square will actually have the effect of thinning it.
我只是在复述
I’m just reporting.
她认为这一理论的根据是什么?
What is her suggested evidence for this theory?
她没有根据 她只是相信人们会靠理智行事
Oh, she has none. She simply believes people will behave sensibly.
一旦被警告某地方关闭 他们就会避开的
Once warned of a closure, they will avoid it.
我之中学到了些东西
So, I’ve learned something.
地球上居然还存在着一个七旬老人
There exists on Earth a human being who has achieved three score years and ten,
仍选择去相信那些
and who still believes in the natural good sense
普通人的良知和智慧
and intelligence of the common people.
“一旦被警告某地方关闭 他们就会避开的”?
‘Once warned of a closure, they will avoid it’?
–她还有别的想法吗? –恐怕没啦
– Does she have any idea? – I fear not.
我不知道是该羡慕罗斯福夫人的轻信 还是该鄙视她
I don’t know whether to envy Mrs Roosevelt her gullibility or to despise her for it.
好像人们会按我们的意愿去做一样!
As if the people will ever do what we want!
–我们还是继续推进吧 –不
– Let’s just press ahead. – No.
在现在 我们不能
We can’t, as of this moment.
–我们还得等吗? –是的
– We’re still waiting? – Yes.
得由市长签署整个规划
For the mayor to sign off on the whole scheme.
他没有意识到吗?难道他不知道…
Doesn’t he realise? Doesn’t he know…
–他知道 –…这有多重要吗?
– He knows. – ..how important it is?
我们有开♥发♥商 私人开♥发♥商 在开♥发♥华盛顿广场
We have developers, private developers, building hundreds of apartments,
在建造数百套公♥寓♥
developing Washington Square Village.
这些都是生意人 来自商界的人
These are business people, people from the world of commerce.
我答应给他们提供通道 我答应给他们一条路
I promised them access. I promised them a road.
我许下了诺言
I gave them my word.
那么你只能违背承诺了 不是吗?
Then you’ll just have to break it, won’t you?
什么情况…?
What, I…?
你到这来干什么?你都已经回家了
What are you doing here? You went home.
–我回来啦 –为什么?
– I came back. – Why?
阿里尔打电♥话♥给我啦 说你去过疯人院了
Ariel called me. You’ve been to the asylum.
是的
Yeah.
–我猜你会来这里的 –你是对的
– I guessed you’d come on here. – You were right.
玛丽知道她自己在哪吗?
Does Mary know where she is?
她被注射了镇静剂吗?
Has she been sedated?
–是的 –她怎么样了?
– Yes. – How was she?
她怎么样了?
How was she?
我们通常称之为“精神病院” 但其实是同一回事
And we say ‘psychiatric clinic’, but it’s the same thing.
那你在做什么?
What have you been doing?
继续工作 我还能做什么?
Continuing to work. What else should I do?
有什么是我可以帮你的吗?
Is there anything I can get you?
不用了 谢谢你 在这种情况下 最不该喝上一杯
No. And in the circumstances, thank you, a drink least of all.
看来我突然成了被同情的对象 而这我并不喜欢
It seems I’m suddenly an object of sympathy and that’s not a role I relish.
你们都应该回去睡觉了
You should all just go to bed.
也好 我要见大卫的时间也快到了
Well, as it happens, it’s getting on for when I said I’d see David.
你今晚要去见你的医生朋友吗?
You’re meeting your medical friend tonight?
–是的 –在哪?
– Yes. – Where?
在酒吧
In a bar downtown.
格林威治村
Greenwich Village.
–那里很舒适 –多好啊 那是一个很好的地方
– It’s cosy there. – How nice. No, it’s a nice area.
和你那位年轻人一起喝上一杯吧
Have a drink with your nice young man
庆幸你的人生才刚刚开始
and be grateful that your life is just starting.
这晚玩得愉快 玛丽亚
Have a good evening, Mariah.
我会的
I will.
–走之前我能说几句吗? –那来吧
– And may I say something before I go? – Please do.
你和别人没什么不同 摩西先生
You’re no different to anyone else, Mr Moses.
有时你会是对的
Sometimes you’re right,