–我吗? –是的 我会让你走到那一步吗?
– Me? – Yeah. Would I ever drive you to that?
告诉他们把会议定在早上
Tell them to fix the meeting for the morning.
我会的
I will.
我们见证了发生的一切 我们见证了布朗克斯区的一切
We saw what happened. We saw what happened in the Bronx.
一把残忍♥的刻刀划破了一个社区的心脏
A great brutal carving knife slashed through the heart of a community,
一个由纽约最贫穷 最无权无势的人组成的社区
a community of the poorest and most powerless people in New York.
天晓得他们会被运到哪
Shipped out of town to God knows where.
这一切只为了一条在第一天就停顿下来的道路
All for a road which was at a standstill on the very first day.
如果摩西先生认为他能再玩一次同样的把戏
If Mr Moses thinks he can pull that same trick twice,
那他可得好好想想啦
he’s got another think coming.
–太对啦 雪莉!–去告诉他 雪莉!
– Yes, Shirley! – You tell him, Shirley!
他的破坏真就没完了吗?
Is there no end to his vandalism?
在哪才会停下来?你知道这是什么地方吗?
Where will it stop? Do you know what this place is?
–我想我知道 –你知道这意味着什么吗?
– I think I do. – Do you know what it means?
不仅仅是对生活在这里的人们
Not just to the people who live here.
你知道它的历史意义吗?
Do you understand its historic importance?
我倒希望如此
I certainly hope so.
这是纽约最典型的游乐场所
This is New York’s quintessential meeting place.
而你的上司打算用一条
And your boss intends to destroy it
四车道高速公路摧毁它!
with a four–lane highway!
如果华盛顿广场都不能被保全 那还有哪能?
If Washington Square isn’t safe, where is?
–说得好! –抱歉打断
– Well said! – Excuse me.
是你要求这次会面的 二十分钟过去了 我们甚至没说出一句话
You asked for this meeting, and after 20 minutes, we’ve barely got a word out.
–你想要什么?混乱吗? –不 是民♥主♥
– What do you want? Anarchy? – No. Democracy.
–对的 – 这是我们的第三年
– That’s right. – This is our third year.
这是我们连续遭到反对的第三年
This is our third consecutive year of opposition.
我想你从来没有理解过这种愤怒
I don’t think you’ve ever understood the anger.
我非常理解你的愤怒
I understand the anger very well.
–你能吗? –是的 确实能 我不可能误解的
– Do you? – Yes, indeed. I could hardly miss it.
如果我们不想倾听 海勒小姐和我就不会在这里了
Miss Heller and I wouldn’t be here if we didn’t want to listen.
雅各布斯夫人 你有问题吗?
Mrs Jacobs, you have a question?
或许你能告诉我们 摩西先生为什么没有亲自来?
Perhaps you can tell us why Mr Moses isn’t here in person?
我不知道你为什么要将这个问题个人化
I don’t know why you want to personalise this.
因为这就是个人问题
Because it is personal.
高速公路是整个规划委员会的政策
The highway is the policy of the whole Planning Commission.
而我们都知道 摩西先生就是整个规划委员会
Mr Moses is the Planning Commission, we all know that.
–他为什么从来不见他的批评者? –他一直在与他的批评者见面
– Why does he never meet his critics? – He meets his critics all the time.
–可别这样说啦 –他就像呆在了象牙塔里
– Get out of here. – He’s up in an ivory tower.
他甚至不愿意接受采访 刘易斯试过了 我也试过
He won’t even interview. Lewis has tried. I’ve tried.
他拒绝和我们谈话
He refuses to talk to us.
他只和同意他观点的人说话
He’ll only speak to people who agrees with him.
确实 他会同《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》谈话
Oh, yeah, he’ll talk to The New York Times.
一周两次 在星期天甚至能再来一次
Twice during the week, three times on Sundays.
全国各地都在效仿摩西的理念
It’s Moses’ ideas which are being copied all over the country.
在美国的每个城市 都是“道路 道路 道路”
In every city in America, it’s ‘roads, roads, roads’.
对的 他很有影响力 这是有道理的
Yes. If he’s influential, it’s for good reason.
那请你告诉我 为什么摩西先生对快速交通系统如此敌视呢?
Then tell me this, why is Mr Moses so hostile to rapid transit?
他敌视了吗?
Is he hostile?
给我解释一下 为什么他修建了数百英里的公路
Explain to me why he’s built hundreds of miles of roads,
却没有一条地铁 没有一条铁轨?
and not a single subway and not a single rail track?
二十五年来 一条也没有!
Not a single one in 25 years!
–你想来回答这个吗? –不啦
– Do you want to take this, Mariah? – No.
你来回答吧
You take it.
–很好 可你确定? –我更想你来说
– Very well. Are you sure? – I’d rather you.
雅各布斯夫人 我很乐意和您辩论 那你来告诉我吧
Just tell me, Mrs Jacobs, I’m happy to debate with you, but honestly,
摩西先生对地铁的态度与华盛顿广场有什么关系呢?
what does Mr Moses’ attitude to mass transit have to do with Washington Square?
–我想这关乎一切 –为什么?
– Everything, I’d have thought. – Why?
因为摩西先生被催眠了
Because Mr Moses is a man under hypnosis.
他在这25年间被两个想法催眠了
He got hypnotised at the age of 25 by two ideas,
–而这两个想法都是妄想 –它们是什么?
– and they’re both delusions. – And what are they?
首先 是他那疯狂的想法
Well, first, he has this insane idea
认为解决车辆过多的问题就是要增加更多的车辆
that the answer to the problem of too many cars is more cars.
而其次
And second,
他坚信解决道路拥堵问题的办法就是修建更多的道路
he’s convinced the answer to the problem of congestion on our roads is more roads.
雅各布斯夫人 你和你的朋友很难否认
Mrs Jacobs, you and your friends can hardly deny
纽约存在交通拥堵问题
New York has a problem with congestion.
修建一条新路 除了把整个问题推向南方
And what will you do by building a new road
你们还能做些什么呢?
except move the whole problem further south?
–对 –问题不会消失
– Right. – It won’t go away.
交通拥堵只会发生在更远的市区
The jams will just happen further downtown.
难道你们还没从过去的三十年中学到什么吗?
Haven’t you people learned anything in the last 30 years?
拜托各位 拜托了
Please, everyone, please.
你们必须听听波特先生的话 真的
You have to listen to Mr Porter, you really do.
为什么?
Why?
我来告诉你为什么
I’ll tell you why.
我是八个月前才加入规划委员会的
I only joined the Planning Commission eight months ago,
但我在加入的当天就意识到
but I realised on the day I arrived
阿里尔真的是一个非常真诚 全心全意去致力于
that Ariel really is a man who is utterly sincere and dedicated
打造宜居城市的人
in making the city as liveable as he can.
拜托
Please.
谢谢你 玛丽亚 真贴心
Well, thank you, Mariah, that’s kind.
谢谢 雅各布斯夫人?
Thank you. Mrs Jacobs?
每次摩西先生修建一条新路时
Every time Mr Moses builds a new road,
他都说这将减轻公路负担 缩短汽车行程
he says it’s going to free up the highways and make car journeys shorter,
让我们能够回家照顾孩子 对妻子尽责
and get us all home so we can look after our children and be saintly to our wives.
–你知道现实是会发生什么吗? –请说下去 我很想知道
– And you know what happens in reality? – Please, go ahead. I’d love to know.
波特先生 纽约的汽车
Cars in New York, Mr Porter,
比它们取代的马跑得还慢
they move slower than the horses they replaced.
为了建造他宝贵的道路 摩西先生采取了暴♥力♥手段
And to make his precious roads, Mr Moses smashes ahead by violence.
这就是他在布朗克斯去用那灾难似的高速公路所做的
That’s what he’s done in the Bronx with his disastrous expressway.
那你认为我们在布朗克斯拆除的贫民窟
You think the tenements we knocked down in the Bronx
那值得吗 你觉得贫民窟真值得吗 雅各布斯夫人?
were worthwhile, do you, Mrs Jacobs, you think slums are worthwhile?
–她没这么说 –你想保留它们 是吗?
– She’s not saying that. – You want to preserve them, do you?
–她不是这个意思 –波特先生 是人♥民♥
– That’s not what she’s saying. – People, Mr Porter.
–是生活在贫民窟里的人♥民♥ –说得对
– People lived in those slums. – You’re right.
他们住在那种破烂不堪的地方 到处都是老鼠 遍布着黑暗和污秽
They lived in those uninhabitable places, full of rats and dark and dirt.
是因为你不必住在那里 你才想要保留它们
And you want to preserve them because you don’t have to live in them.
雅各布斯夫人 你轻易就能挥舞着你那带着特权的手
It’s very easy for you, Mrs Jacobs, to wave a privileged hand
说着 “这些贫民窟是如此美丽”
and say, ‘These slums are so picturesque.’
如果你认为简有特权 那你就太不了解她了
If you think Jane is privileged, you know nothing about her.
确实 这其中就是有势利的成分
Truly, there is an element of snobbery in all this.
–得了吧! –城市要生存下去 就必须改变
– Oh, come on! – A city has to change if it’s to live.
听着 我能看出你们想做反对派
Look, I can see you all want to set up an opposition here.
规划者错啦 人♥民♥才对 但事情并不没那么简单
Planners bad, people good. But it’s not as simple as that.
你们对华盛顿广场有点特殊情感 对吗?
In Washington Square, you have something special, right?
人们可以散步 下棋 做音乐
People can stroll, they can play chess, they can make music,
当然 如果我和其他受过教育的人 一起住在这里
and sure, if I lived here, among other educated folk,
我也会想要保护它
I would want to defend it, too.
但你们不会关心的 作为那占少数的幸运儿
But doesn’t it concern you that the city will die
你们只想固守自己喜欢的角落 而不做出任何安排
if the lucky few just hang on to their favourite corners
来帮助其他人 城市是会因此灭亡的
and don’t make any arrangements to help people elsewhere?
所以我们都必须生活在那种糟糕透顶的地方吗?
Oh, so we all have to live at a common level of ugliness?
–不 –好吧 他就是这个意思
– No. – Yes. That’s what he’s saying.
所有的一切都会因此被拖到最糟糕的程度
Everything has to be dragged down to the level of the worst.
我不是这个意思 我是说 一条好路能帮助
I’m not saying that. I’m saying a good road will help people
那些比你更不幸的人更快到达他们的社区
less fortunate than you speed down to their own quarter.
畅通无阻对每个人都有好处
And unimpeded movement is in everyone’s interest.
你就不能对别人慷慨一点吗?
Can’t you be more generous to others?
你就不能为别人着想吗
Can’t you think of the good of other people,
而不是只为了这占着城镇里好地的人?
not just the people in the nice parts of town?
我已经为摩西先生工作了30多年
Look, I’ve worked for Mr Moses for over 30 years.
摩西先生从未宣称汽车能解决人类的问题
Mr Moses never claimed the car would solve mankind’s problems
就像是冰箱或洗碗机那样
any more than the refrigerator or the dishwasher would.
但不管你乐意与否 汽车就是未来
But whether you like it or not, the car is the future.
除非我们去顺应潮流 而不是逆流而上 否则我们就
We have no future unless we work with the grain of progress,
没有未来可言
not against it.
我立刻就注意到 那次会议的气氛很有意思
There was a funny tone to that meeting. I noticed it straightaway.
首先 母亲们带着孩子出席了会议
For a start, mothers brought their kids.
不仅是有人去说不
It wasn’t just people saying no.
而是真正有着不同想法的人
It was people who actually had different ideas.