把语♥音♥演示修好
Fix the voice demo.
你真的需要特殊工具来打开Mac吗
You need special tools to open the Mac?
你知道它是个封闭系统
You knew it was a closed system.
我不知道这是字面意思 天哪
I didn’t know literally. Jesus.
如果你再这样毫无理由地勉强别人
And if you keep alienating people for no reason,
就没人会留下来听它问好了
there’s gonna be no one left for it to say hello to.
我不是毫无理由
It’s not for no reason.
我们搞砸了 IBM就会
We blow this and IBM will
像蝙蝠侠里的反派一样统治接下来的50年
own the next 50 years like a Batman villain.
记得电♥话♥公♥司♥吗
Remember the phone company?
那是贝尔公♥司♥的叫法 “电♥话♥公♥司♥”
That’s what Bell was called, “The phone company.”
IBM将成为电脑公♥司♥
IBM will be the computer company.
十年后他们就会成为信息公♥司♥
Ten years later they’ll be the information company,
对人类来说可是大不幸
and that’s very bad for the human race.
所以我们没时间装绅士谈现实了
So we don’t have time to be polite or realistic,
因为如果这样的话
’cause if we are,
公♥司♥的下一场产品发布会
this company’s next product launch
就只能在26个人
will be held in front of 26 people
和阿♥拉♥梅达县购物指南的兼♥职♥记者前开了
and a stringer from the Alameda County Shopper’s Guide.
我们还没宣传过语♥音♥软件
We haven’t advertised the voice software.
我们可以从演示里
We could pull it out of
切出来 没人会失望的
the demo and no one would be disappointed.
你能不能理性一点
Do you want to try being reasonable,
试试看吧
just, you know, see what it feels like?
好吧 切掉语♥音♥演示
Okay. Pull the voice demo.
谢谢
Thank you.
顺便把发布会也取消
And then cancel the launch.
我懂了 你又耍我
I see. You just tricked me a little.
你可以跟我讲它有多不重要
You can tell me how unimportant it is,
但如果电脑没能问好
but if the computer doesn’t say hello,
约翰·斯卡利也不会上台
then neither will John Sculley,
我保证他肯定支持我
who I promise you agrees with me.
斯卡利才不会取消发布会
Sculley’s not gonna cancel the launch
因为他还没疯
’cause he’s not insane.
他也不是黑客
He’s also not a hack,
但是为了麦金塔
and when it comes to the Macintosh,
我叫他做什么他都愿意
he’s gonna do what I ask him to do.
-盒子里是什么 -不用你操心
– What’s in this box? – Nothing you need to worry about.
别打开
Don’t even open it.
搞什么
What the fuck?
《时代》年度机器
计算机时代来临
为什么这里有一箱… 谁干的
Why is there a carton of… Who did this?
-有人觉得… -谁
– Somebody thought… – Who?
不重要 他觉得
Doesn’t matter. Thought it would
每人座位上放一份《时代》封面复印件
be a good idea to have copies of that Time cover
挺好的
available at everyone’s seat.
已经被扼杀在摇篮里了
It was nipped in the bud and all
所有复印件都会被搬出大楼
the copies are being taken out of the building.
问题已经解决了
So problem solved.
-这不是麦金塔 -我明白
– This isn’t a Macintosh. – I understand.
有人觉得在麦金塔的发布会上
Somebody thought it would be a good idea to, like,
热情地分发
enthusiastically hand over
印着不是麦金塔的《时代》封面
copies of Time with a not-a-Macintosh on the cover
是个好主意吗
at the launch of the Macintosh?
他们要在惠普发什么呢
What are they handing out at Hewlett-Packard?
一堆印着我照片的苹果吗
A bushel of apples with my face on them?
我相信这想法主要是
I’m sure the thinking was
考虑到电脑是年度人物
that since the computer is Man of the Year
会对我们有所帮助
that that’s good for our business,
但我说了 我会把它们都扔出大楼的
but like I said, I’m having them removed from the building.
我希望你做的是
What I’d like you to do
拿着这全部的2600份复印件
with them is to take them, all 2,600 copies,
堆到科特克的桌上
and stack them on Kottke’s desk
告诉他史蒂夫祝他新年快乐
and tell him Steve says, “Happy New Year to you.”
-好 -我给了《时代》杂♥志♥完全访问权限
– Okay. – I gave Time magazine full access.
全部产品 Bandley Apple Ⅱ Lisa
The whole campus: Bandley, Apple II, Lisa.
给了他斯卡利 马库拉
I gave him Sculley, Markkula.
给了他沃兹 给了他所有人
I gave him Woz. I gave him everybody.
我应该怎么称呼那个
What should I call the person
想到分发这封面这种好主意的人呢
who thought it’d be a good idea to hand these out?
我不会告诉你是谁的
I’m not telling you who it was.
这事并没有恶意 也已经妥善解决了
It was done without malice. It’s been taken care of.
而你还有一个半小时 我们有正事要说
You have a half hour and we have things to talk about.
比如
Like what?
比如初上市九十天的一百万销量
Like a million in the first 90 days.
-乔安娜 -之后每个月两万
– Joanna… – 20,000 a month after that.
-这都是预测 -我求你了
– Look. Those are the forecasts. – I’m begging…
这是我的专业
This is my field.
我求你控制好自己的期望
I’m begging you to manage expectations out there.
我就是追求高期望
I’m fanning expectations.
我们初上市九十天卖♥♥不了一百万台
We’re not gonna sell a million in the first 90 days.
每个人 每个人 每个人
Everyone, everyone, everyone,
每个人都在等着Mac
everyone is waiting for the Mac.
也许吧
Maybe.
但是当他们发现定价高达2495美元
But what happens when they find out that for 2,495,
而你无可奈可的时候会怎么样呢
there’s nothing you can do with it?
定价1500美元我们还是有竞争力的
We were competitive at $1,500,
一旦处理器你用摩托罗拉68000取代6809
but once you replaced the Motorola 6809 with the 68000…
那靠什么来支持菜单
Which is what supports menus,
窗口 点击 高分辨率图像
windows, point and click, high-res graphics…
是啊 因为每个人都需要圆角矩形
Yeah, ’cause everyone needs rectangles with rounded corners.
大巴车跟头等舱同时降落在跑道上
Coach lands on the runway at the exact same time as first class.
你这话我完全听不懂
I don’t have the first fucking idea what that means,
但定价就是这样达到2500美元的
but this is how it got to $2,500,
跟个人电脑的价格差不多
which is the price point on the PC,
个人电脑还能做更多事
which can do a lot more!
谁会想要个人电脑 哪个傻瓜会想
Who’s gonna want a PC? What idiot is gonna want…
如果我想告诉你
If I wanna tell you there’s
你衬衫上有块污渍 我会指着它
a spot on your shirt, I point to the spot.
而不说是在领子下方十四厘米
I don’t say there’s a spot 14 centimeters down from the collar
第二个纽扣右边三厘米处
and three centimeters to the right of the second button
同时我还在想苏打水的命令是什么
while I try to remember what the command is for club soda.
这不是人脑的运行方式
That’s not how a person’s mind works.
如果是为了简化使用
If the goal was ease of use,
也许你就应该给它一些记忆存储
maybe you should’ve given it some memory.
你可以抱怨记忆存储或者是价格
You can complain about memory or you can complain about price,
但你不能同时抱怨它们
but you can’t do both at the same time.
记忆存储就是烧钱
Memory is what costs money.
我很高兴你现在告诉我对Mac的看法
I’m glad you’re telling me your feelings about the Mac now
因为我们还有一个半小时
because we have a half hour left.
我们可以重新设计
We can redesign it.
我只是让你控制好自己的期望
I’m just asking you to manage expectations.
想想看人们见到它的表情
Look at their faces when they see what it is.
他们不会知道看到的是什么
They won’t know what they’re looking at
或者为什么会喜欢
or why they like it,
但他们知道自己想要它
but they’ll know they want it.
并不会马上就这样
Not instantly.
当人们听到《春之祭》的时候
When people heard Rite of Spring,
他们把凳子都扔出剧院了
they tore the chairs out of the theater.
也没有买♥♥唱片
They didn’t buy the record.
《春之祭》恰好是上个世纪最具革命性
Rite of Spring happens to be the most revolutionary
和刺♥激♥性的交响乐
and provocative symphony of the last century.
芭蕾 它是芭蕾舞
Ballet. It was a ballet.
但是伊戈尔·斯特拉文斯基也没说
But Igor Stravinsky didn’t
他一个月要卖♥♥两万张
say he was gonna sell 20,000 units a month.
我不知道为什么要说斯特拉温斯基
I don’t know why we’re talking about Stravinsky
我关心的是
when what I care about is
丹·科特克在《时代》杂♥志♥上鸡♥奸♥了我
Dan Kottke sodomizing me in Time magazine.
很显然…
Look. Obviously…
我这样跟你说吧
Let me say this to you.