-这大庭广众的… -我知道
– There are people around here, man… – I know.
-还有一位媒体记者 -我看到了
– Including a member of the press. – I see him.
沃兹
Woz.
只需感谢那些被解雇的核心成员们
Just the top guys, the ones who are getting laid off.
听我说 好吗
Listen, okay?
去年 苹果损失了十亿美元
Last year, Apple lost one billion dollars.
我都不知道这是怎么办到的
I don’t even know how that’s possible.
你们可能撑不到90天就要破产了
You were less than 90 days from being insolvent.
我让三个不同的会计师来跟我解释
I had three different accountants try to explain it to me.
整个公♥司♥都需要精简
The whole place has to be streamlined.
-先从开除那俩会计开始 -我会从
– Start with two of the accountants. – I started with the…
乔尔 你可以先从台上下来吗
Joel, could you come offstage?
-我们去后台吧 -让他留下
– We’re gonna go backstage. – Leave him right there.
我先把Apple Ⅱ研发组裁掉
I started with the Apple II team
因为我们不再生产Apple Ⅱ了
because we don’t make that anymore.
只答谢核心成员
Just acknowledge the top guys.
喝杯饮料放松下吧
Have a mimosa and relax.
你这次休想再拒绝我 史蒂夫
You will not blow me off right now, Steve.
核心成员有资格…
The top guys deserve…
根本没什么核心成员
There are no top guys.
明白吗 苹果二团队里没什么核心成员
All right? On the Apple II team, there are no top guys.
他们是二流货 只会拖顶尖选手的后腿
They’re “B” Players, and “B” Players discourage the “A” Players.
我要顶尖人才留在苹果 而不是去戴尔
I want “A” Players at Apple and not Dell.
他们才不是二流 我比你清楚得多
They’re not “B” Players, and I’m a better judge of that.
距离破产只剩下不到90天了
Less than 90 days from insolvency,
某种程度上来说 正因为某些人还认为
in part because somebody thought
牛顿掌上电脑不是一个垃圾产品
the Newton wasn’t a box of garbage.
-乔尔 请你来一下好吗 -他留下
– Joel, could you come offstage, please? – Leave him.
我说的是
I’m talking about…
我不在的这段时候 你们设计并发♥售♥了
You guys designed and shipped a little box of garbage
-这个垃圾玩意 -我说的是Apple Ⅱ
– while I was gone. – I’m talking about the Apple II,
它不仅是这个公♥司♥重要历史成就之一
which is not just a crucial part of this company’s history,
更是个人电脑史上的意义重大的里程碑
it is a crucial part of the history of personal computing.
曾经是
For a time.
如果你想裁掉这些员工 你至少应该
The least you can do, if you’re going to downsize these people…
他们也能住上失业者能拥有的
They’re gonna live in the biggest houses
最大的房♥子了
of anyone on the unemployment line.
…对他们表示感谢
…is to acknowledge them.
在发布会上感谢他们 还有Apple Ⅱ
Acknowledge them and the Apple II during this launch.
这是一款新的拳头产品
This is a new animal.
整个公♥司♥都是Apple Ⅱ的成功发展来的
This whole place was built by the Apple II.
你的成功更是托Apple Ⅱ的福
You were built by the Apple II.
事实上
As a matter of fact,
正是Apple Ⅱ和它的开放系统毁了我
I was destroyed by the Apple II and its open system
所以各路黑客和闲人
so that hackers and hobbyists
才能鼓捣出那些无线电之类的破玩意儿
could build ham radios or something.
并且它还差点把苹果公♥司♥毁了
And then it nearly destroyed Apple
因为你们把全部身家都投在了上面
when you spent all your money on it
然后一直老调重弹 毫无创新
and developed a grand total of no new products.
-牛顿掌上电脑 -就是一个垃圾盒子
– The Newton. – The little box of garbage.
你们发明了牛顿 还嫌不够丢人吗
You guys came up with the Newton. You want people to know that?
这里是新品发布会 不是什么感恩餐会
This is a product launch, not a luncheon.
我最不愿意做的就是把iMac和…
The last thing I want to do is connect the iMac to…
和这个公♥司♥史上唯一成功的产品联♥系♥起来
To the only successful product that this company has ever made.
别怨我说话直 但这就是事实
I’m sorry to be blunt, but that happens to be the truth.
丽萨是个失败品 麦金塔也是
The Lisa was a failure. The Macintosh was a failure.
我也不想说重话
I don’t like talking like this,
我受够了明知自己是约翰[甲壳虫主唱]
but I am tired of being Ringo
却被当成林戈[甲壳虫鼓手]
when I know I was John.
大家挺喜欢林戈的
Everybody loves Ringo.
我也受够了你高人一等地对待我
And I’m tired of being patronized by you.
你觉得约翰是靠运气才出的名吗 沃兹
You think John became John by winning a raffle, Woz?
你觉得他是耍了某个人
You think he tricked somebody
还是揍了乔治·哈里森的脑袋才出的名吗
or hit George Harrison over the head?
他出名是因为他是约翰
He was John because he was John.
他出名是因为他创作了《旅行票》
He was John ’cause he wrote “Ticket to Ride”.
而我创造了Apple Ⅱ
And I wrote the Apple II.
-各位 得清场了 -都不许走
– Everybody? I want to clear the auditorium. – Nobody moves.
你是创造了完美的主板
You made a beautiful board,
顺提一句 你居然愿意将其免费赠送
which, by the way, you were willing to give out for free,
所以别跟我说什么你是怎么创造苹果的
so don’t tell me how you built Apple.
要不是因为我
If it weren’t for me,
你也就只能在霍姆斯泰德高中当优等生了
you’d be the easiest “A” at Homestead High School.
你的称赞掌控着这些人的生死
These people live and die by your praise,
给你个机会
so here’s your chance.
承认就算你不在
Acknowledge that something good happened
我们也能成功
that you weren’t in the room for.
-不 -史蒂夫
– No. – Steve.
承认吧 这是事实 这…
Do it. It’s right. It’s…
这是事实
It’s right.
抱歉 我不认
Sorry, but no.
那我这么说吧
Then let me put it another way.
我觉得没有人在个人计算设备
I don’t think there’s a man who’s done more to advance
大众化普及方面的贡献
the democratization that comes with
比我更大了
personal computing than I have,
可你从来就没尊重过我
but you’ve never had any respect for me.
为什么
Now why is that?
至少我会考虑下有可能
I’d at least consider the possibility
是因为你也从来没尊重过我
that it’s because you’ve never had any for me.
你俩这是在唱哪出
What the hell is going on here?
没事 感谢你抽出时间见我
Nothing. Thank you for your time.
搞定了 把她叫过来了
It’s done. She’s coming back.
你差点就让整家公♥司♥破产了
You came a half-inch from putting this company out of business.
这事我去找谁说理呢
Now who do I see about that?
我让你保住了工作
I’m letting you keep your job.
我给了你豁免
You get a pass.
人们以前常问我
You know, when people used to ask me
我和史蒂夫·乔布斯有何不同
what the difference was between me and Steve Jobs,
我会回答 史蒂夫一般掌控大局
I would say Steve was the big-picture guy
而我就只管埋头研发
and I liked a solid workbench.
如果现在别人再问起我有何不同
When people ask me what the difference is now,
我会回答 史蒂夫是个混♥蛋♥
I say “Steve’s an asshole”.
你的产品远远好过你的人品 兄弟
Your products are better than you are, brother.
那就对了 兄弟
That’s the idea, brother.
清楚这点 就是我俩的不同
And knowing that, that’s the difference.
这不是非黑即白的事
It’s not binary.
你可以既为人谦逊又才华横溢
You can be decent and gifted at the same time.
不同凡想
他不是那个意思
He didn’t mean it.
他就是
Yeah, he did.
他是个容易情绪化的人
He’s a temperamental guy.
他不是
No, he’s not.
就好像每场发布会开场前五分钟
It’s like five minutes before every launch,
大家都会去酒吧
everyone goes to a bar,
喝醉后跑来向我倒苦水
gets drunk and tells me what they really think.
她去你更衣室了
She’s coming to your dressing room.
我是让你和丽萨和好
I told you to make things all right with Lisa.
而不是让你去把所有矛盾一口气解决了
I didn’t say you had to settle every blood feud you have.
上回矛盾没处理好
Last time blood feuds weren’t settled,
结果我没上成《时代》封面
I lost the cover of Time.
我思前想后
Though for the life of me,
也没搞懂为什么丹·科特克对我不满
I still don’t know what the hell Dan Kottke was mad at me about.
-你没上封面又不怪科特克 -就怪他
– Kottke didn’t lose you the cover of Time. – Of course he did.
需要我向你证明你说你肯定对的时候
Would you like me to demonstrate your capacity to be wrong
其实都是错的吗
when you’re certain you’re right?
丹·科特克告诉《时代》我否认…
Dan Kottke told Time magazine that I was denying…
你还记得那个封面吗
Do you remember the cover?
-《时代》的吗 -对
– Of Time? – Yes.
-记得 -是什么封面
– Yes. – What was it?
-你在说什么 -封面上有什么
– What are you talking about? – What was on the cover?
-计算机 -不对

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!