everything you thought you’d have the next ten years to tell them
现在几个月内就要说完
in just a few months.
我整天都在治疗 那天晚上 我做了切片检查
I lived with that diagnosis all day. Later that evening, I had a biopsy.
我被注射镇定剂 我妻子在我身边
I was sedated, but my wife, who was there,
告诉我他们用显微镜 看着我的细胞
told me that when they viewed the cells under a microscope,
医生开始流泪 因为其实我患的是
the doctors started crying because it turned out to be
非常罕见的胰腺癌 可以透过手术治好
a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery.
我动了手术 谢天谢地 我好了
I had the surgery and, thankfully, I’m fine now.
史蒂夫乔布斯在2005年的 史丹福大学毕业典礼
Steve Jobs talked about his cancer very emotionally
谈到癌症历程时 变得很情绪化
at the Stanford graduation ceremony in 2005.
他把故事说得一清二楚
And he very clearly told the story
让一切听起来 就像是他被诊断出癌症
to make it sound as though he had been diagnosed
然后马上动了手术 接着就康复了
and moved immediately to surgery, and been cured.
这根本就不可能
That simply wasn’t true.
当我从那几个月的 报告中发现
What I found out, over a period of months of reporting,
史蒂夫乔布斯是真的 罹患了癌症
was that Steve Jobs actually had been diagnosed with cancer
就在九个月前 而在这九个月中
nine months earlier, and that for a period of nine months,
他拒绝接受任何手术 尽管医学专家都表示
he had refused to have the surgery that every medical expert said
这能够成功增加 他的存活率
was necessary to increase his prospects for survival.
与其动手术
Instead of having the surgery,
他寻求了不同的医学方法
he had sought alternative medicine approaches
想要治疗癌症
to try to cure himself of cancer.
企业家都有一种想要 控制自己人生的病态渴望
Entrepreneurs have an almost pathological need to control their own fate.
知道自己能够掌握命运 而不是交到别人手中
They’ll take any suffering if they can just be in charge of their destiny
会让他们没那么难受
and not have it in somebody else’s hands.
乔布斯的健康状况开始传开后 苹果的股价开始动荡不安
Apple’s stock has been volatile on rumors about Jobs’s health.
这间公♥司♥的股价一度停摆
The company’s stock was halted for a time,
并在收盘后开始大跌
then took a big hit when it re-opened in after-hours trading.
每一次乔布斯没有消息
Apple’s share prices have dropped
苹果的股价就开始下降
with every pound that Jobs has lost in recent months.
来自苹果执行长 史蒂夫乔布斯的信
苹果的状况岌岌可危
Apple really landed into a dicey situation
这时史蒂夫发表一封信
when Steve decided to issue a letter saying,
“是这样的 我没什么大碍”
“Well, you know, nothing’s wrong with me.”
“只是一个主要的问题 但又不是一个主要的问题”
“It’s just a minor problem,” And it wasn’t a minor problem.
乔布斯先替这世界打了预防针
Steve Jobs made a point of withholding from the world
就是他正面对着病痛
that he faced this illness.
这是投资者想知道的事情
That’s something investors want to know,
因为当你买♥♥了苹果的股票
because when you bought Apple stock then,
你就是买♥♥了乔布斯的面子
you were buying into Steve Jobs.
他有义务要告诉所有股东
He was obligated to tell shareholders right away
他生病的事情
about this serious illness.
你当然也会想要 让乔布斯有点隐私
You do personally want to give Steve the privacy,
但是他将自己成为焦点
but Steve put the spotlight on him,
你不能因为不方便说明 就把聚光灯通通关掉
and you can’t turn that off just because it’s inconvenient.
整件事情曝光后 我和乔布斯见了面
After the story came out, I saw Steve.
他开始谈起苹果 然后他说
He started talking about Apple, and he said,
“苹果真的是一间 没有任何分♥裂♥的公♥司♥”
“You know, Apple is really a company that doesn’t have any divisions.”
“我们不需要什么官僚作风”
“We don’t have all this bureaucracy.”
我说”史蒂夫 这很适合登在财富杂♥志♥上”
And I said, “Steve, that would be a great story for Fortune.”
然后他看着我说”不”
And he looked at me, and he said, “No.”
“我不认为我们现在 适合让你写这故事”
“I don’t think we can do that story with you. Not now.”
“现在不适合”
“Not now.”
然后他说 整间房♥间寂静无声
And then he said, and the whole room went quiet,
“你知道 我们以前…”
and he said, “you know, we used to…”
“我们曾经和 财富杂♥志♥的关系很友好”
“We used to really be friends with Fortune,
“以前就像朋友一样 但再也不是了 不是了”
I used to be friends with Fortune, but not anymore. Not anymore.”
然后我记得他的眼中 开始掉下眼泪
And then I remember these tears came out of his eyes,
有一滴还在他的眼镜上
and one was on his glasses,
然后有一滴滚下他的脸庞 掉在他的衬衫上
and then one, I remember it rolling off his cheek and hitting his shirt,
他就这样哭泣着 整个房♥间寂静无声
and he was just crying, and the whole room was silent.
苹果执行长史蒂夫乔布斯 五个月前进行肝脏移植后
Apple CEO Steve Jobs today made his first public appearance
今天首次公开露面
since getting a new liver five months ago.
这是第一次这名 54岁的执行长公开承认
For the first time, the 54-year-old CEO publicly acknowledged
当年春天进行的肝脏移植 救了他的性命
the liver transplant this spring that saved his life.
我现在有了20岁的肝脏
Well, I now have the liver of a mid-20s person.
我想要花点时间 感谢所有在苹果的人
I’d like to take a moment and thank everybody in the Apple community
那些暖心的支持 对我而言意义重大
for the heartfelt support I got, too. It really meant a lot.
我还要特别感谢提姆库克
And I’d also like to especially thank Tim Cook
还有整个苹果的执行团队
and the entire executive team of Apple.
他们扳回了局面
They really rose to the occasion
在如此艰难的时刻 将公♥司♥经营得这么好
and ran the company very ably in that difficult period.
所以 谢谢你们 让我们给他们掌声
So, thank you, guys. Let’s give them a round of applause.
他爱他的工作 我收到一封他寄给我的邮件
He loved what he did. I do have an e-mail from him saying that.
信中说”我们两个都如此幸运”
He said, you know, “Both of us were fortunate,” he said,
“因为我们都乐于工作 而且可以做得很久”
in that we loved what we did and we were able to do it for a long time.
他还写了”夫复何求”
And he said, “What else could you ask for?”
我们也许有比较多经验 也看过比较多世面
We’re maybe a little more experienced, certainly more beat-up,
但核心价值是一样的
but the core values are the same.
我不知道为什么 成功了就要改变
I don’t see why you have to change if you get big.
我始终如一
Straightforward to me.
苹果很大
Apple was big.
在此时此刻 是全球最大的企业
By this time, one of the biggest corporations in the world.
但每一次我们看到乔布斯 都好像变小了一点
But each time we saw Jobs, he seemed smaller.
发表会
随着他的产品越来越厉害 乔布斯则变得越来越虚弱
As his devices got stronger, Jobs got weaker.
这比笔记型电脑还要更亲密
It’s so much more intimate than a laptop,
又比智慧型手♥机♥ 能做够多事情
and it’s so much more capable than a smartphone
有了这个超棒的大荧幕
with this gorgeous, large display.
我认为这么多对乔布斯的哀悼
I think that a lot of the grief at Jobs’s death
是因为害怕我们太习惯
was a fear that we had been very comfortable
这十年来出于他手上的产品
for the last decade in his hands.
将网路拿在手上的感觉 实在太好了
It’s phenomenal to hold the internet in your hand.
他本来要继续 做这些奇妙的事情
That he was going to keep doing these amazing things.
但他走了 不可能有人能取代他的地位
Now he’s gone, and there’s no indication that anyone’s going to replace him.
史蒂夫 我想你的生日 是这周的某天
只想跟你打声招呼 希望你一切都好
很想你
爱你的雷吉和戴安
谢谢你 雷吉和戴安
没错 我这礼拜四就要56岁
我想现在每个生日 都很值得庆祝…
祝福你 史蒂夫 从我的苹果手♥机♥发送
苹果云端发布 乔布斯的最后一次公开露面
欢迎
Welcome.
谢谢你
Thank you.
非常谢谢你
Thank you very much.
-这总是能帮助 -我们爱你
-It always helps… -We love you!
谢谢你
Thank you.
这总是帮助很大 我非常感恩
It always helps, and I appreciate it very much.
他在八月正式辞职 就在两个礼拜前
He resigned officially in August. Two weeks earlier,
苹果正式成为全世界 最有价值的公♥司♥
Apple had become the highest-valued corporation on Earth.
谢谢你的到来 我们为你计划了很棒的一周
And thank you for coming so much. We’ve got a great week planned for you.
星期三中午到下午三点店休
在这领域 我们不是写下
This is a field where one does not write a principia
会被瞻仰两百年的金玉良言
which holds up for 200 years
或是画下会流传世纪的画作
or paints a painting that’ll be looked at for centuries,
也不是建一座受人景仰的教堂
or builds a church that will be admired
让世人都为之惊叹
and looked at in astonishment for centuries.
不 这个领域是 我们做好分内的工作
No, this is a field where one does one’s work,
然后十年后就过时了
and in ten years, it’s obsolete
然后十到二十年内 就完全不能用了
and really will not be useable within ten or 20 years.
我的意思是 你也不能回去用第一代苹果手♥机♥
I mean, you can’t go back and use an Apple I,
因为已经没有适合它的软件了
cos there’s no software for it.
再过十年 你也不会再用第二代苹果手♥机♥
In another ten years or so, you won’t be able to use an Apple II.
你甚至不能让它再次火红 无法想像那是如何
You won’t even be able to fire it up and see what it was like.
可以说是石头的沉积作用 你正在堆一座山
It’s sort of like sediment of rocks. You’re building up a mountain,
你必须要感谢那些 一层一层堆积起来的小石头
and you get to contribute your little layer of sedimentary rock
才能让这座山如此高大
to make the mountain that much higher.
但没有人可以从表面上…除非他们用X光
But no one on the surface will, unless they have x-ray vision,
就可以看到你的石堆
will see your sediment.
在日本 有一个说法叫”悼物”
In Japan, there’s an idea called “mono no aware,”
意思就是”为物品致上最深的感受”
meaning “the deep awareness of things”.
这庆祝了逝去生命的哀愁
It celebrates the melancholy of the passing of life
比起枝头的绿叶 更欣赏落叶的美
and sees more beauty in the fallen leaf than the one on the branch.
也许这就是日本 吸引乔布斯的原因
Maybe that’s what Japan held for Jobs.
灵魂的哀伤 就像对事物美感的表达

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!