前一二十年 我们这家公♥司♥
For the first decade or two, at the comic book company
从未收过书迷的信 我相信这些书出版后
we never received fan mail, and I was sure these books are being published
就会被销毁 生命就此结束
and destroyed somewhere, and that’s the end of it.
我夸大了
I’m exaggerating.
我们每年都会收到一封信 有人会写
About once a year we’d get a letter, somebody would write,
「我买♥♥了你们一本书 缺了一个钉书针
“Hey, I bought one of your books and there’s a staple missing.
我要退钱」
“I want my money back.”
突然间 因为《神奇四侠》
But all of a sudden, with The Fantastic Four,
我们真的收到信件 有读者提出意见
we really got mail, we really had readers who said something.
(好人出头天)
我们上了报章杂♥志♥的报导
We were getting write-ups in newspapers and magazines,
有人要求访问我
and people were asking me to do interviews.
我开始发觉我们有一群新的读者
I began to realize we have a whole new audience.
当时我们公♥司♥叫亚特拉斯
At that time we were calling the company Atlas.
我说我们得取个新名字
I said we gotta get a new name,
现在我们做的跟以前不同了
these aren’t the same things we were doing before.
马丁和我想到「漫威」
And Martin and I came up with the name Marvel.
(漫画界最伟大象征!)
那是他做的…
That had been the name
(漫威漫画)
第一本漫画的名字
of the first comic book he had ever done,
我觉得这个词很棒
and I thought it was a great word.
(太威了!)
漫威这个词很好用
There’s so much you can do with the word Marvel,
我会用「记住 让我发威」这类句子
I used expressions like “Remember, gang, make mine marvel,”
或是「欢迎来到漫画的威风时代」
or “Welcome to The Marvel age of comics!”
或是「漫威加油」
Or “Marvel moves on.”
这种名字有很多地方能发挥
I mean, it’s the kind of name you can do a lot with.
这时我们发生了重大的改变
That’s when everything changed for us.
我开始明白多数人心中最重要的事
I’ve started realizing, to most people the most important thing
是享受娱乐 获得乐趣
is being entertained, getting pleasure out of something.
然后我发现我也一样
And then, I realized it applies to me, too.
我想或许我做的事并非那么不重要
And I figured maybe what I’m doing isn’t really unimportant.
或许娱乐是最重要的事情之一
Maybe entertainment is one of the most important things,
因为世上有好多坏事
because there are so many bad things in the world,
如果你能娱乐别人一会儿 就算好事
that if you can entertain somebody for a while, it’s a good thing.
所以我没照原来的想法辞职
So then, instead of quitting, like I wanted to,
反而决定我能靠写超级英雄故事 带来重大改变
I decided that I could make a big difference writing superhero books.
我认为我能乐在其中
I thought I could have a lot of fun with this
好好写点东西
and get some real writing in it.
我遵循的原则是
And I used the philosophy of
写出自己想看的故事
what would I like to read if I were reading a book.
小时候 我读过《化身博士》
When I was a kid, one of the books that I read was Jekyll and Hyde.
(劳勃刘易斯史蒂文森)
我以《化身博士》为灵感
So I wanted to take from Jekyll and Hyde
他能从正常人变成怪物
where he could change from a normal person into the monster.
我一向喜欢《科学怪人》电影 卡洛夫演的那部老片
And I always liked the Frankenstein movie, the old one with Karloff.
我总觉得怪物其实是好人
I always felt the monster is really the good guy.
他不想伤害任何人
He didn’t wanna hurt anybody.
我想如果怪物其实是好人
So I thought it would be fun to get a monster
却没人知道 应该很有趣
who was really a good guy, but nobody knew that.
我记得我和杰克·柯比的对话
And I remember the conversation I had with Jack Kirby,
我说:「杰克 我们要写一个怪物
and I said, “Jack, we’re gonna do a monster
但我要你画一个和善的怪物
“but I want you to draw me a sympathetic monster.
读者会喜欢的 外型好看的怪物」
“Kind of, a good-looking monster that a reader can take to.”
我说出口时才发觉听来很可笑 但杰克没让人失望
And as I said it, I realized how stupid it sounded, but Jack never failed.
我们心中都有个浩克
Hulk’s in all of us.
(声源:杰克·柯比)
我认为怪物并没有特别针对任何人
I don’t think monsters zero in on anyone in particular.
所以他们通常令人同情 而非恐惧
I think that’s why they are generally pitied more than feared.
我觉得怪物某方面都有些问题
I felt that monsters, in some way, had problems.
野兽或人形的怪物都难免
Monsters, in human or inhuman form, are inevitably involved
卷入某种冲突 任何人都会受害
in some sort of conflict in which anybody can get hurt.
如果你看戏剧性的新闻报导
If you read any dramatic news story,
就会发现当中最戏剧性的部分是
you’ll find that the most dramatic part about ’em was that
在一个人的内心
inside a human being
都有某种我们不断想解决的问题
there are some sort of problems that we’re constantly trying to solve.
(滚石杂♥志♥)
我学到的人生一大教训是
One of life’s great lessons that I have learned is,
别想取悦某部分的大众 别想取悦他们
don’t try to please a certain segment of the public, don’t try to please them,
你并不了解他们 没人了解
’cause you don’t really know them, nobody knows them,
但你了解自己
but you know yourself.
设法取悦自己
Try to please yourself.
至少这是我们漫威的原则
At least that’s what happened to us at Marvel.
我们一开始写的是让自己开心的故事
We started writing stories that amused us.
我们一开始说:「如果有个绿皮肤怪物
We started to say, “Hey, wouldn’t it be fun
我们叫他浩克 那不是很好玩吗?」
“if we, you know, had a green-skinned monster and we call him the Hulk”?
我们忘了读者
Wow, you know, and we forgot about the audience.
我们忘了大众
We forgot about the public.
画家们和我突然开始乐在其中
We suddenly started having fun. The artists and me.
我在1963年来到纽约
I came to New York in ’63.
(声源:芙萝史坦伯格)
我去面试工作 其中一次是跟斯坦面试
And I went on job interviews, and one of them was meeting Stan,
他需要女助理 也就是秘书
and he needed a gal Friday, which meant secretary,
(美妙的秘书女助理芙萝史坦伯格)
只是你不能来打字或做速记
only you couldn’t type or take shorthand.
斯坦一直是个乐观的人 就算业绩不好也一样
Stan was always an upbeat person, even maybe when sales weren’t going well.
如果有人碰上麻烦 他总会伸出援手
You know, if someone was in trouble, he always gave them a break.
碰上截稿日期 或缺钱时
On the deadline, or they needed money.
我没看过他发脾气
I never saw him angry.
不会发牢骚 不会抱怨
Not a whiner, not a complainer.
如果出了问题 他就说我们来解决
If something’s wrong, “Let’s fix it.”
(美妙的芙萝!)
这份工作必须拆粉丝的信
The job entailed opening the fan mail,
做小卡片 寄给小朋友
and then making little cards and sending cards to the kids.
后来 当然
Then, of course,
超级英雄开始广受欢迎 信件也变多
superheroes started getting bigger so there was more mail.
人们会花时间写信
You know, people were actually spending time writing these letters.
它逐渐发展成一项运动
It sort of developed gradually, that there was such a movement.
孩子们充满兴趣
You know, the kids were so interested.
(斯坦来开讲)
我们收到好多信
We were getting so many letters.
斯坦说:「或许我们该 成立个小粉丝俱乐部」
Stan said, “Maybe we should have a little fan club.”
我们成立了欢乐漫威行军社
We started The Merry Marvel Marching Society.
你能拿到一张小卡片 一个徽章
You got a little card, you got a button,
(我加入欢乐漫威行军社)
一些贴纸和一张小唱片
probably some stickers and a little record.
(欢迎加入欢乐漫威行军社!)
他们收到一张欢乐漫威行军社唱片
They got a record of The Merry Marvel Marching Society.
(这是最大的惊喜!)
漫威乐园 向前看 我是斯坦·李
Okay, out there in Marvel-land, face front, this is Stan Lee speaking.
你应该没听过这种唱片
You’ve probably never heard a record like this before,
因为没人会疯狂到
because no one would be nutty enough to make one
找一批非主流艺人来录唱片
with a bunch of offbeat artists,
因此任何事都可能发生
so anything is liable to happen.
谁说你能当DJ 李?
Hey, who made you a Disc Jockey, Lee?
欢乐的杰克·柯比 跟粉丝说几句话
Well, well, Jolly Jack Kirby. Say a few words to the fans, Jackson.
好 几句话
Okay, a few words.
兄弟 这里由我负责搞笑
Look, pal, I’ll take care of the humor around here.
你?多年来你都用同样的老哏
You? You’ve been using the same gags over and over for years.
斯坦?你有空吗?
Oh, Stan? Do you have a few minutes?
美妙的女助理叫我?当然有 跟粉丝打招呼 芙萝史坦伯格
For our fabulous gal Friday? Sure, say hello to the fans, Flo Steinberg.
粉丝好 很高兴见到你们
Hello, fans, it’s very nice to meet you.
外面发生什么事?
Hey. What’s all that commotion out there?
是害羞的史蒂夫迪特科
Why, it’s shy Steve Ditko.
他听说你要录唱片 他有麦克风恐惧症
He heard you’re making a record and he’s got mic fright.
又跳窗?
Out the window again? –
我开始觉得他是蜘蛛侠了
You know, I’m beginning to think he is Spider-Man.
你属于…
You belong, you belong You belong, you belong
(跟着漫威一起尖叫)
欢乐漫威行军社
To the Merry Marvel Marching Society
向前行…随着欢乐…
March along, march along To the song of the Merry…
我是否该告诉你们一小件事 因为可能很无聊
Shall I tell you a little bit, a very little bit, ’cause it can get dull,
比你们刚刚听的更无聊
even duller than what you’ve been hearing,
关于我们撰写和绘制脚本的方法
about the way we write and draw these scripts?
一开始 我写所有的故事
In the beginning, I was writing just about all the stories,
随著书一本一本出 我赶不上画家的速度
and as we kept adding book after book, I couldn’t keep up with all the artists,
所以我会写脚本 譬如给杰克·柯比