至1937年夏 斯坦·劳雷尔和奥利佛·哈迪已经是好莱坞最著名的喜剧明星
瓶子杯子酒店
儿童经过
停
由劳雷尔和哈迪亲自评判
泳装美人♥大♥赛
但从此以后两人再无一起表演
斯坦和奥利在巡回演出结束后返回美国
此后斯坦拒绝了所有演出邀请完全退休
奥利没有康复 并于1957年去世
撰写喜剧素材 直到1965年去世
在随后的8年里 斯坦仍在为劳雷尔和哈迪组合
So, you’ll never guess who turned up yesterday.
你肯定猜不到昨天谁来了
Go on.
你说
Madelyn. Madelyn showed up?
马德琳 马德琳来了
Completely out of the blue. I haven’t seen her in 15 years.
完全是个意外 我有15年没见到她了
And there she was, standing on the doorstep,
她就那样出现 站在门阶上
all gussied up.
精心打扮了一番
And that’s a sight I thought I’d never see again.
我以为再也看不到她这个样子了
What did she want?
她想要什么
20,000 bucks.
2万大洋
20,000 bucks?
2万大洋
15 years of back alimony. I said, “What alimony?
拖欠的15年赡养费 我说”什么赡养费
“When we split up, I gave you whatever money we had,
“我们分手的时候 我把我们所有的积蓄都给了你
“and you took the car.
“你还开走了车
We agreed, that was that.” Geez, not even Mae asked for that,
我们说好的 就那些” 天呀 梅也不会这样狮子大开口
and she wanted me to pay for a chauffeur.
她还叫我付司机车费
It’s because our pictures are plastered all over town.
因为城里到处都贴着我们的照片
Probably some lawyer’s bright idea.
可能是律师的鬼点子
Well, in any case, I haven’t got it.
不管怎样 我没有那些钱
Myrtle cleaned me out when we split.
美特尔在分手的时候已经把我洗劫一空
You been down to Tijuana?
你去过提华纳
Why you ask? We had a few days off.
怎么会问这个 我们有几天休息时间
Well, as a matter of fact,
事实上
I did take a little trip down there
我确实去那里转了一圈
with Mysterious Montague, trying to win some back.
和神秘的蒙塔古一起去的 就想能赢点钱回来
Not entirely successfully, unfortunately.
不幸的是 一点不遂我的心意
Hey, when is your contract up?
嘿 你的合同什么时候到期
We should ask for a little more money.
我们应该要求涨一点报酬
A little more? Are you kidding?
只涨一点 你是在开玩笑吧
Charlie, Buster, Harold,
查理 伯斯特 哈罗德
they get ten times what Hal pays us.
哈尔付给他们的报酬是我们的十倍
Well, they own their own pictures.
可是 他们也在拍自己的电影
Exactly. That’s what we’re gonna do.
对 我们也要这么干
Hey, boys. How’s it going?
嘿 小伙子们 最近怎么样啊
Georgie. We’re going shark fishing.
乔治 我们要去捕鲨鱼
Mr. Laurel doesn’t know it yet, but he’s the bait.
劳雷尔先生还不知道 他就是鱼饵
Now, how are we gonna do that? We’re under contract.
我们怎么干 我们有合约在身
We can’t just change the terms.
我们不可能直接修改条款
Well, we stick together, we renegotiate with Hal,
我们团结一致去找哈尔谈判
get a bigger slice of the pie.
争取拿到更高的份额
If that doesn’t work, then we walk and set up on our own.
如果不奏效 我们就一走了之自立门户
Oh, I don’t know. I mean, I’d love to own our pictures,
噢 我不知道 我是说 我也想拍自己的电影
but it just doesn’t seem like the right time.
不过现在好像时机不对
I’ve got a lot going on.
我现在烦心事一大堆
This overhead is killing me.
日常开支都快要了我的命
Hi, Babe. Hello, girls.
嗨 巴比 你们好 姑娘们
Hey, guys, you’re wanted on set.
嘿 伙计们 你们该上台了
Ah, Burgess, just the man.
啊 伯吉斯 正好
Listen, take this to our friend.
听着 你把这个送给我们的朋友
Tell him I want it on Bold Venture,
告诉他押在”傻大胆”上
the fourth race at Santa Anita, on the nose.
圣安妮塔的第四场比赛 别搞错了
There’s something in there for you. Would you do it right away, please?
那边也有给你的东西 麻烦你能尽快去送吗
It’s about to start. Okay. Thank you, Mr. Hardy.
快要开始了 好的 谢谢你 哈迪先生
You’ll be fine, Babe.
你会没事的 巴比
Just lay off the horses and don’t get married again.
如果你别再赌马 也别再结婚
Oh, I didn’t tell you.
噢 我还没跟你说
I proposed to Lucille. Scripty Lucille?
我向露西尔求婚了 写剧本的露西尔
Yes. Damn.
对 见鬼
And she said yes.
她也同意了
Ah. That’s great news, Babe.
啊 真是好消息 巴比
She needs a head examining, but…
她需要去看看脑子了 不过
great for you.
对你是个好消息
Here.
这儿
I’m never getting married again.
我可不打算再婚了
I’m just gonna find a woman I don’t like
我只想找一个我不喜欢的女人
and buy her a house.
给她买♥♥座房♥子
That’s a good one.
听起来不错
Listen, I can’t afford to fool around with my income,
听着 我的那点收入可经不起折腾
so don’t antagonize Hal, will you, please?
所以你就别与哈尔为敌 可以吗 拜托了
I don’t like to talk about business.
我不喜欢谈论生意
Not when we’re working.
特别是眼下正在工作的时候
I promise I’ll be as nice as pie,
我答应你我不生气
so long as he doesn’t show up.
只要他不露面
They’re ready for us, girls.
他们在等我们了 姑娘们
What’s this? Our rodeos are getting a lot more interesting.
这是什么 我们的竞技表演越来越有趣了
You know, I don’t miss England one little bit.
你知道 我一点都不想念英国
Hello, girls. Hi.
你们好 姑娘们 嘿
Hello.
你们好
Oh, by the way, I’ve chartered a sailboat
顺便告诉你 我租了一艘帆船
to Catalina this Saturday.
这个周六去卡特琳娜岛
You want to come? Ah…
你一起来吗 啊
I-I gotta work on the gags for the bar routine.
我-我在酒吧还有一些事要做
Ah, be a lot of nice girls there. Yeah?
会有很多漂亮姑娘的哦 是吗
Miss Myrna Loy will be on board, among others.
墨娜·洛伊小姐也会在船上 还有其他人
Ah, yeah, well, all right, maybe I’ll come.
哦 这样啊 好吧 我可能会去的
What are all these Romans doing here?
这些罗马人在这干什么
I don’t know. Maybe there’s a sale at the Forum.
我不知道 可能广场有大减价吧
You’ve got a million of ’em, don’t you?
你的幽默张口就来 不是吗
Hey, Lucille, have you got my sides over there?
嘿 露西尔 你拿着我的台词本吗
Right here, Mr. Horne. Thank you.
就在这 霍恩先生 谢谢你
A sweet for my sweet.
给我宝贝一个宝贝
Oh, thank you, Babe.
噢 谢谢 巴比
Listen, let’s not talk about leaving.
听着 我们先别说要离开的事
Let’s just try to get ourselves a raise.
我们试着看能不能涨一点薪水
Hey, Jimmie. Give you a raise?
嘿 吉米 涨薪水
He’d rather lower Hollywood, and that’s a Scotsman talking.
他宁可给整个好莱坞减薪 记住我这个苏格兰人说的话吧
Going for a smoke.
去抽支烟
That’s it, Stan.
对啦 斯坦
We’re through.
我们友尽了
I’m throwing the moral clause at you.
我要跟你好好说说道德条款的事
Morning, Hal.
早 哈尔
Another fight at his place last night.
昨晚这里又有一起打架事件
One of the neighbors sees Ruthie sock him in the mouth,
一个邻居发现露蒂把袜子塞到他的嘴里
so they call the cops.
所以他们报了警
She found out about Vera.
她在调查薇拉的事
Yeah, it cost me 500 bucks to keep it out of the papers,
是啊 花了我500块钱才没有立案
and that’s coming out of your paycheck.
这笔钱要从你的薪水里扣
You signed a contract not to prejudice Hal Roach Studios.
你签的合同要求不能损害哈尔·罗奇制片厂的声誉
Well, you know all about prejudice. How’s your pal Mussolini,
哦 你在这儿跟我谈声誉 那你的同志墨索里尼呢
the one you were going to go into business with
你的那个生意伙伴
before he started bombing all those poor people in Africa?
用炸♥弹♥炮轰非洲的穷苦老百姓
You see? All he wants to do is fight.
看到了吧 他就是这么好斗
What are you looking for, Stan? I’m looking for a fair price
你到底有什么目的 斯坦 我只想要合理的薪水
for a Laurel and Hardy picture, and you know it.
那部劳雷尔和哈迪的电影 你心知肚明
Our pictures sell all around the world,
我们的电影全球热销
and we haven’t got a dime.
可我们一分钱也拿不到
That’s because you keep getting divorced!
那是因为你天天闹离婚
No, it’s because you’re a cheapskate who got rich off our backs.
不对 因为你是踩在我们背上发财的吝啬鬼
Oh, come on, now, Stan. He is.
噢 别说了 斯坦 他本来就是
He’s a cheapskate, a skinflint and a… and a parvenu.
他是个吝啬鬼 小气鬼 暴发户
A parvenu? He thinks, because my contract’s up
暴发户 他以为我的合同到期了
and yours isn’t, that I won’t be able to go anyplace else
你的还没有 所以我会无处可去
and I’ll have to take what he’s offering.
我接受他的好意
Wait, wait, wait, wait. Mr. Roach?
等等 等等 罗奇先生
What’s a parvenu?
什么是暴发户