Um, but from what I understand, readership is down.
互联网行业正在入侵这块传统市场
Internet is cutting into the classified business and, uh,
我想我得慎重考虑一下全局
I think I’m gonna need to take a hard look at things.
这么说 你想裁员
So, you anticipate more cuts.
这么想也可以
Uh, I think it’s safe to assume so.
不过我现在更关注的 是找到一个方式
But, uh, what I’m more focused on right now is finding a way to…
使这份报纸对读者来说不可或缺
to make this paper essential to its readers.
我认为已经不可或缺了
I like to think it already is.
有道理 我只是觉得我们能做得更好
Fair enough. I just think that we can do better.
波士顿环球报
-布拉德利先生 -你好
– Mr. Bradlee. – Hey.
看到警局数据的报道了 很有意思
Saw the PD numbers. Looks interesting.
是 有些可写的内容
Yeah, there’s something there.
-你需要多久 -再一周吧
– How long do you need? – Uh, another week.
-你去哪儿 -十点半的晨会
– Where are you going? – To the 10:30.
你什么时候也来开会了
Since when?
严格来讲 我也算是名主编
Well, technically, I am an editor.
确实 你跟巴伦的会面顺利吗
Technically. Your sit-down with Baron go that well?
-我看不透他 -还真是头一次啊
– I couldn’t get a read on him. – That’s a first.
-你呢 -他可真是”开心果”呢
– How about you? – Well, he’s a barrel of laughs.
早上好各位 我们开始吧
Morning, everyone. Let’s get started.
你想说点儿什么吗 马蒂
Do you want to say something, Marty?
好的
Uh, sure.
大家好
Uh, hello.
想必在座的大部分人都知道了
Uh, as most of you know by now,
我是马蒂·巴伦
my name is Marty Baron.
很高兴能与大家共事
I’m, uh, delighted to be here.
大家轮流发言时
Um, if you could tell me
如果能说一下名字 就再好不过了
your name as we go around, that’d be helpful.
谢谢
Thank you.
好的 彼得
Okay. Peter?
彼得·卡内洛斯 都市版
Peter Canellos, Metro.
指波士顿”马拉松城市交通道路改造工程” 耗时15年
我这儿有一篇关于”大挖掘”的最终报道
I’ve got a major Big Dig closure.
-你好 史蒂夫 -麦克
– Hey, Steve. – Mike.
话说 昨晚比赛没法看吧
Hey. Crappy game last night, huh?
他们打得烂到家了
Yeah, they can’t hit worth a nickel.
那个
Hey, listen, what’s, um…
艾琳·麦克纳马拉参加晨会做什么
what’s Eileen McNamara doing in the 10:30?
-你有事吗 麦克 -没 就是好奇
– Do you need something, Mike? – No, just curious.
上别处好奇去 我这忙着呢
Go be curious somewhere else. I got work to do.
好吧 史蒂夫 回见
Okay, Steve. See ya.
美国职棒大联盟投手 被喻为”神之右手”
看来佩德罗直到九月一号♥才会复出
And it looks like Pedro’s gonna be out till September 1.
吉米说他今年会复出
Jimmy says he’ll be back this year,
但医生认为并不乐观
but the Doc didn’t seem so sure.
爱国者队什么时候打揭幕战呢
When’s the Pats opener?
大家都说完了吗
Is that, uh, everyone?
-是的 -好 谢谢
– Yes, that’s it. – Okay. Good. Thank you.
这周末有人读过艾琳·麦克纳马拉的专栏吗
Uh, did everyone read Eileen McNamara’s column this weekend?
关于盖根的案子吗
That’s the Geoghan case?
是 有什么后续吗
Yeah. What’s the folo on that?
那是专栏 你想要什么后续报道
It… it’s a column. What kind of folo were you thinking?
显然这名神父过去三十年间
Uh, well, apparently this Priest molested kids
在六个不同的堂区都猥亵过儿童
in six different parishes over the last 30 years,
而受害者的律师 叫…
and the attorney for the victims, Mr., uh…
-加拉贝迪安 -谢谢你 艾琳
– Garabedian. – Thanks, Eileen.
加拉贝迪安先生说劳枢机
Mr. Garabedian says Cardinal Law
十五年前就知晓此事但未采取任何措施
found out about it 15 years ago and did nothing.
我觉得那律师有点儿怪
I think that attorney’s a bit of a crank.
教会对指控也不予理会
And the church dismissed the claim.
只是各执一词
He said, she said.
不管加拉贝迪安先生是否古怪
Whether Mr. Garabedian is a crank or not,
他说他有文件证明枢机知晓此事
he says he has documents that prove the Cardinal knew.
据我所知 这些文件是被封存的
As I understand it, those documents are under seal.
但事实是 一名波士顿神父虐待八十名儿童
Okay, but the fact remains, a Boston Priest abused 80 kids,
有律师称他能证明劳知道此事
we have a lawyer who says he can prove Law knew about it,
而半年来我们只写了两篇报道
and we’ve written all of, uh, two stories in the last six months.
我认为这对地方报纸来说是个重大事件
This strikes me as an essential story to a local paper.
我想至少我们该去查看一下那些文件
I think at the very least we have to go through those documents.
你打算怎么查看那些文件
How would you like to do that?
我不知道这里的法律是怎么规定的
Well, uh, I don’t know what the laws are here,
但在佛罗里达 我们会向法庭申请
but in Florida, we would go to court.
你想起诉教会吗
You want to sue the church?
严格来讲并不是起诉教会
Technically, we wouldn’t sue the church.
我们向法♥院♥申请对文件进行解封
We’d file a motion to lift the seal on those documents.
教会会认为那就是起诉
The church will read that as us suing them.
所有人都会这么认为
So will everybody else.
多谢提醒
Good to know.
-新官上任好大一把火 -这么说也行
– Gutsy call for the first day. – That’s one word for it.
你觉得结果会怎么样
How do you think that’s gonna play down front?
我觉得吉利安会很不高兴
I think Gilman’s gonna shit a brick.
关门
Door.
怎么样
How’d it go?
巴伦想向法庭申请解封盖根案的案卷
Well, Baron wants to sue for the sealed docs in the Geoghan case.
他想起诉教会吗 太好了
He wants to sue the church? Hey, that’s great.
三年前事情出来时
We covered Geoghan
我们就做过盖根案的相关报道
when the story broke three years ago.
那时巴伦还在迈阿密
Baron was still in Miami.
那时他可能已经在《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》了
He might have been at the Times then, actually.
他不在这儿
He wasn’t here.
所以你们觉得有胜诉的可能吗
So do you think that suit has a chance?
-要看法官了 -还有法官所在的教区
– Depends on the judge. – And what parish he belongs to.
我是布拉德利 好的
Bradlee. Yeah.
好的
Okay.
-巴伦想跟我们谈谈 -我”们”
– Baron wants to talk to us. – Us?
-好的 乔 -谢谢
– Okay, Joe. – Thank you.
是 好的 谢谢
Yes. Okay, thanks.
我安排了明天跟外部律师会面
I’ve set up a meeting for tomorrow with outside counsel.
– 乔·阿尔巴诺 -是的
– Joe Albano? – Yeah.
这案子的法官是谁
Who’s the judge in this case?
康斯坦斯·斯威尼
Constance Sweeney.
-很难办啊 -为什么
– Tough. – Why’s that?
她是虔诚的天主教♥徒♥
Good Catholic girl.
就我了解到的内容来看
So, um, judging from what I’ve read,
针对盖根的案子
it doesn’t seem like we’ve done a very
我们好像没有做过什么深入调查
thorough investigation into the Geoghan case.
-是这样的吗 -当然不是
– Is that right? – No, it’s not.
我们仔细调查过盖根
We looked hard at Geoghan.
都市版的大卫·阿姆斯特朗
David Armstrong from Metro,
还有宗教版的迈克尔·鲍尔森
Michael Paulson for religion.
好的 但据我所知
Okay, but, uh, just so I understand,
除了当日的专题报道
beyond our daily coverage, we haven’t…
我们并没有针对劳枢机是否早就知情
we haven’t committed any long-term investigative resources
投入过任何长♥期♥的调查力量
to the question of whether or not Cardinal law knew about this.
是的 没有
No, we haven’t.
长♥期♥调查就属于你的小组的范围了吧
And that’s the kind of thing your team would do?
《聚焦》吗 没错
Spotlight? Well, yeah.
但我们在调查我之前说过的波士顿警局的报道
But we’re still prospecting the Boston PD story I told you about.
-你们能把那个先放到一边吗 -可以
– Could you set that aside? – We could.
马蒂 过去《聚焦》成功的主要原因在于
Marty, in past Spotlight’s had success in large part
他们自♥由♥选择报道内容
because they pick their own projects.
你们能考虑接下这个报道吗
Would you consider picking this one?
我不清楚他是否写到了你
I don’t know if he’s writing about you,
但我会转达你的电♥话♥内容
but I will let him know you called.
好的 再见
Okay. Bye.
-怎么样 -还行
– Hey, how’d it go? – Okay.
巴伦想让我们深挖盖根的案子
Uh, Baron wants us to scrub the Geoghan case.
-太好了 -我们不是报道过盖根案吗
– That’s great. – Didn’t we cover Geoghan?
是 有一名律师声称劳枢机早就知晓此事
Yeah, there’s a lawyer alleging Cardinal Law knew about it.
-是米奇·加拉贝迪安吧 -没错
– Mitch Garabedian, right? – Yeah.
-我在法♥院♥采访过他 -你能联♥系♥到他吗
– I covered him at the courthouse. – Can you get to him?