“That makes it 21.”
大概病人是想说明一个地点
I would say the patient was trying to mention a locale.
可能是指什么俱乐部
The seven of clubs might mean a club.
对 还要加上21
Yes, with the word “twenty-one” in it.
纽约有这么个俱乐部 叫21俱乐部
There is such a place in New York. It’s called the 21 Club.
这我知道
I’ve heard of it.
病人梦见…
The patient dreamt
赌场老板走了进来 说爱德华大夫在作弊
the proprietor of the place came in and began accusing Dr. Edwardes of cheating.
他叫爱德华出去 还说”我不许你在这儿赌了
He ordered Edwardes out and said, “I won’t allow you to play here.
这儿是我开的 我对你不客气”
This is my place. I’m going to fix you.”
这梦里的地点有双重含义
The dream gives the locale a double identity.
21俱乐部跟这儿
The 21 Club and Green Manors.
那个老板显然是属于后者的
The proprietor seems to belong more to the latter.
而且
In fact…
恐怕那个怒冲冲威吓爱德华大夫的老板
I would say that this angry proprietor who threatened Dr. Edwardes…
就是我
…was myself.
我也这么认为
It seemed that way to me.
你是不是今天晚上才得出这结论
I presume you only arrived at this solution tonight?
是的
Yes.
还没有把你的精神分♥析♥结果告诉别人
And have confided your psychoanalytic findings to nobody?
还没有
Not yet.
这个梦说完了吗?
Was there any more to the dream?
没有
Yes.
病人梦见爱德华大夫站在高楼屋顶上
The patient dreamt he and Dr. Edwardes were on a high sloping roof,
他看到他从边上掉下去摔死了
and that he saw Edwardes plunge over the edge to his death.
他还看到那个老板躲在烟囱后面
He also saw the angry proprietor hiding behind the chimney laughing,
拿着个小轮子在笑 后来扔下了那轮子
holding a small wheel in his hand. He dropped the wheel.
我猜不出那轮子象征什么
The symbolism of the small wheel escapes me.
是一把手♥枪♥
It was a revolver.
在21俱乐部威吓爱德华生命的老板
The proprietor who threatened Edwardes’ life in the 21 Club
从背后打死爱德华以后
dropped a revolver in the snow in Gabriel Valley
把手♥枪♥扔在加百列谷的雪地里
after shooting Dr. Edwardes in the back.
那手♥枪♥还留在一棵树底下
The weapon is still there at the foot of a tree
上面还有凶手的指纹
with the murderer’s fingerprints on it.
你这一部分的解释我不太同意
I can’t agree with this part of your interpretation,
因为这把枪现在就在我手里
for the good reason that the weapon is now in my hand.
当我无意中说出我认识爱德华
I imagined something of this sort would happen
我估计到会出事的
when I made the slip tonight about knowing Edwardes.
你的小脑筋就动起来了
That started your agile, young mind going.
那时候你病了
You were having a breakdown.
听到爱德华要来接替 你感到惊恐万分
In a state of panic, you heard that Edwardes was to take your place here.
你到他常去的饭馆找他
So you sought him out in his favorite restaurant,
约翰·巴伦泰也在坐
where he was lunching with John Ballyntine.
你说他抢了你的工作
You accused him of stealing your job.
你说要杀了他
You threatened to kill him.
他说他是要去滑雪 度个假期
He calmed you down, told you he was off on a skiing vacation.
你随后也去了
You followed him there
躲在树后从背后把他打死
and shot him from behind a tree.
别说了 真是荒谬绝伦
That’s enough. Your story is ridiculous.
谁也不会相信的
You’ll make a fool of yourself.
一个衷情的大夫的想入非非
A love-smitten analyst playing a dream detective.
警♥察♥不会这么认为的
There’ll be no dreams for the police.
会从俱乐部的服务员那知道你去过
They’ll find out from the waiters in the 21 Club that you were there.
会认出你是跟爱德华大夫吵架的人
You’ll be identified as the man who had a row with Dr. Edwardes.
还会有人在开往加百列谷的火车上
There will be people who saw you on the train to Gabriel Valley,
见过你
who saw you there.
这都是一目了然的 不是梦
There will be no dreams necessary for this case.
我明白了
I see.
你是个很出色的大夫 但作为女人很愚蠢
You’re an excellent analyst, Dr. Petersen, but a rather stupid woman.
你告诉我这些想叫我做什么?
What did you think I’d do when you told me all this?
恭喜你吗?
Congratulate you?
由于你对病人的一片痴心 你忘了
You forget in your imbecilic devotion to your patient
杀两个人的惩罚
that the punishment for two murders
跟杀一个一样
is the same as for one.
你准备第二次做案杀人吗 莫奇森大夫
You’re not going to commit a second murder, Dr. Murchison.
本来没准备
I hadn’t planned to,
但你既然来了
but you’re here.
就不要走
You’re not leaving.
像你这样有学问的人是不会莽撞杀人的
A man with your intelligence does not commit a stupid murder.
对上一次的犯罪行为
You’re thinking you were not mentally responsible
是由于精神失常造成的
for that other crime in the snow.
他们会根据你的健康从轻发落的
They’ll find extenuating circumstances in the state of your health.
不会为了杀死爱德华判你死刑
They’ll not execute you for the death of Dr. Edwardes.
哪怕判了徒刑
You can still live, read, write, research,
你还可以活下去著书立说
even if you are put away.
这是你的打算 莫奇森
You’re thinking that now, Dr. Murchison.
如果你现在开枪 那是蓄意杀人
If you shoot now, it is cold, deliberate murder.
你是在正常情况下杀人的
You’ll be tried as a sane murderer,
按照正常人判罪
convicted as a sane man,
就会依法送你上电椅处死
and killed in the electric chair for your crime.
我现在打电♥话♥去报♥警♥察局 莫奇森
I’m going to telephone the police now, Dr. Murchison.
还记得我过去说过
And remember what I say.
康斯坦斯的丈夫就等于是我的丈夫
Any husband of Constance is a husband of mine, so to speak.
好吧
All right.
再见 祝你好运 – 再见
Goodbye. Good luck. – Goodbye.