That we are without souls.
但你不敢说你同意罗马人的观点
But you are afraid to say that you agree with the Romans.
我想我从未遇到过像你这样的人,高卢人范莱丽雅…
I believe that I never met anyone like you,Varinia of Gaul…
我爱你
and that I love you.
你愿意嫁给我吗?
Will you marry me?
那你用什么来发誓?
On what, then, would you make a vow?
我用我血管里奔腾的血液和我的呼吸发誓,
On the blood that flows through my veins and the breath I take,
直到我死,我都将属于你
I will be yours until the day I die,
在我的生命中,除了你再也没有其他人。我发誓
and in my life there’ll be no other but you, I swear.
我用我血管里奔腾的血液和我的呼吸发誓,
On the blood that flows in my veins and the breath I take,
– 我将属于你…
– 直到…
– I will be yours…
– Until the…
直到我死的那天
Until the day I die.
以及死后
And in the life beyond.
– 你怎么知道死后还有灵魂?
– 我相信
– How do you know there is a life beyond?
– I have faith.
除了你,我再不会有别人
There will be no other man but you.
我发誓
I swear.
(Crowd roars)
杀!杀!杀!杀!
(Crowd) Kill! Kill! Kill! Kill!
斯巴达克斯!斯巴达克斯!斯巴达克斯!斯巴达克斯!
(Crowd) Spartacus! Spartacus! Spartacus!
主人,有人来拜访我们,从罗马来
Master. We have visitors, Master,from Rome.
是考纳利亚斯和他的妻子海伦娜,还有克拉苏
Cornelius Lucius and his wife, Helena.And Marcus Crassus.
克拉苏来到这儿,你竟然让他等在外面?
Marcus Crassus is here,and you left him waiting outside?
哦! 尊贵的克拉苏。你让我感到万分荣幸,先生
Oh! Noble Crassus.You do me a great honour, sir.
我是巴提亚图,请坐
I am Lentulus Batiatus. Please, sit.
我和我的学校愿意为您效劳
I and my establishment are here to serve you.
来点酒为您接风洗尘,好吗?
Some… Some wine to wash away the dust,
再来点蜂蜜冰块,怎么样?
and some honeyed ice, perhaps?
怎么?
Yes?
– 我能为您做些什么?
– 我和我的朋友将对您深表感激
– How may I serve you?
– My friends and I would appreciate
如果你能让两个色雷斯角斗士为我们单独表演一下
a private showing of a pair of Thracians.
非常好的提议!您显然是个行家
Excellent choice.Your Honour is obviously a connoisseur.
– 要决出生死
– 决出生死?
– To the death.
– To the death?
对私人的表演来说,这个要求有点不寻常啊
That’s an unusual request for a private showing.
哦 我知道您在开玩笑。很好,非常有趣
I see that’s you’re joking.That’s very good. That’s very amusing.
我并没有在笑
I am not laughing.
您当然不是开玩笑。你要色雷斯人
Of course you’re not.Well, you’ve asked for Thracians.
这意味着您要看上好的短剑
That means that you must want good dagger work.
我有全世界最好的
And I have the best in the world.
但您要是想看到他们决出生死,您就看不出剑的细微差异,
But if you want to the death,you won’t see nuance,
你就看不到它的微妙之处
and you won’t see subtlety.
您当然也看不出它的质量,夫人
Certainly won’t see quality. Madam.
我不是屠夫,先生。我是个艺术家
I’m not a butcher, sir, I am an artist.
– 是的
– 我想让你看到精彩的角斗
– Yes.
– I want to give you good fighting.
精彩的角斗而且要决出生死
Good fighting. And to the death.
我想看到勇气
I want to see courage.
我想看到激♥情♥
I want to see passion.
最重要的是,我想看到结果
And above all, I want to see finality.
要决出生死你需要花费
But to the death will cost you.
– 25,000 第纳雷
– 你可以用那些钱买♥♥一头大象了
– 25,000 denarii.
– You could buy an elephant for that.
成交
Done.
我不想有作弊行为
And I want no fakery.
我不要看到手下留情,也不要看到装死
No sucking the sand and pretending that they’re dying.
如果有一个人欺骗我,两人同罪,
If one of them is down,or if both of them are down,
我要你让一个训练师割断他们俩的喉咙
I want one of your trainers to cut their throats.
他们必须明白这点
And they are to understand that.
现在,我先付10,000
Now, I shall leave 10,000 on account,
余下的,等我满意了再给你
and the rest when we have been satisfied.
看那些非洲人
Note the Africans.
他们的角斗是最好的,最富有技巧的,但可能很无趣
Theirs is the finest combat and the most skilful but it can be a bore.
会一直进行不断
It can go on and on.
要看最好的角斗就必须看色雷斯人的
To see fighting at its best you must see Thracians.
– 你同意吗,奴隶主?
– 是的,但他们各有千秋
– Don’t you agree, slave master?
– Yes, but each kind has its own virtues.
我改主意了
Change of plan.
给我找一个色雷斯人对抗一个黑人
Match me a Thracian against a black.
从所有的以前的经验来看,我的老天,这两种人不能同台角斗
With all due respect, my lord,that is no match.
当色雷斯人的短剑穿过网的时候,他就完了
When a Thracian’s dagger is in the net, he’s finished.
是的,也许吧。但非洲人并不是以他们的策略性的思想而闻名的
Yes, perhaps. But the Africans are not noted for their strategic thinking.
当然,汉尼拔(前247-前183, 迦太基统帅)是个例外
Hannibal, of course, being the exception.
我先看看一个在智力上占优势
I want to see how long a mentally superior
但在武器上处于劣势的人能坚持多久
but lesser armed man can last.
哦 我的主人,这样的试验会招来他们彼此之间的仇恨
My lord, that sort of experimentation makes for bad blood with the men.
我想,为了25,000 第纳雷,你是可以承受那么一点点仇恨的
Well, for 25,000 denarii I think you can afford to incur a little bad blood.
开始!
(Guard) Begin!
发令!
Order!
那是什么?那是什么?
What is it? What is it?
一场私下的角斗表演
A private fight.
– 你想要谁?
– 德拉巴
– Who do you want?
– Draba.
德拉巴!
(Cinna) Draba!
– 还有大卫
– 大卫!
– And David.
– (Cinna) David!
他是个犹太人,是吗?
Now, he’s a Jew, yes?
是,我知道你想要个色雷斯人…
Yes, I know you wanted a Thracian…
不,不,这很有趣
No, no, no. This is interesting.
看过犹太人角斗吗?他们擅长短剑
Ever seen a Jew fight?Exceptional with the dagger
也以过人的智慧闻名
and reputed to be very bright as well.
– 还有谁?
– 呃…
– Who else?
– Er…
斯巴达克斯…
Spartacus…
和普利姆斯
and Polymus.
普利姆斯…斯巴达克斯
Polymus… Spartacus.
斯巴达克斯?
Spartacus?
你觉得他们怎么样?
How do you like them?
这些人都可以 – 除了他
All – except that one.
我不喜欢他
I don’t like him.
对不起,夫人但我不得不说,他已经角斗过12次了
Forgive me, lady, but that man has been in the ring 12 times.
他非常好,很强壮,速度很快
He’s very good, very strong, very quick.
– 你要让他和谁对抗?
– 那个非洲人
– Who will you match him with?
– The African.
(Varinia muttering softly)
– 你在干什么?
– 祈祷
– What are you doing?
– Praying.
你是怎么祈祷的?
How do you pray?
我可以作给你看
I can show you.
你可以为我做件事吗?
Will you do something for me?
一件在我们部落里做的事
Something that we do in our tribe?
把你的嘴贴在我的嘴上,把你的灵魂用呼吸传给我,
Put your mouth on mine and breathe your soul into me,
我把我的用呼吸传给你
and I’ll breathe mine into you.
这样我们的灵魂就会永远在一起了
And then for all time our souls will be one.
二体合一
One soul in two bodies.
我会回到你身边的
I will come back to you.
如果你不回来,我就亲自杀了你
If you don’t, I will kill you myself.
你要为明天保留体力
You have to save your strength for tomorrow.
我充满了力量
I am full of strength.
(Indistinct chatter)
(Chatter subsides)
短剑对三叉戟和渔网,这是什么比赛?
Dagger against net and trident.What kind of match is that?
时间到了
Time.
时间到了!
Time!
(Flutes and percussion)
我在想,他们在想什么?
What are they thinking, I wonder?
角斗士是畜牲,头脑简单
Gladiators are animals, pure and simple.
如果有人把他们当作人来看待,那他完了
If one thinks of them as people,one loses all perspective.
他们说的关于犹太人的那些是真的吗?他们是怎么对男孩实施割礼的?
Is it true what they say about the Jews?How they mutilate their boys?
你想看吗?
Would you like to see?
在角斗前,把犹太人带到我这儿来
Bring me the Jew before he fights.