Disassociation from you,
金斯县脊医的情妇
the coony chiropractic cunt of Kings County,
和你这个南部人♥渣♥断绝来往
and you, the dreary dregs of Dixie.
斯汀戈小子 你骗不倒我的
You’ve not fooled me, young Stingo.
因为你大方地让我读了你这白人的大作
Since you so graciously allowed me to read your magnum Southern opus,
写你感人的
your puling, adolescent self-pity
少年亡母之痛
for your poor dead mother.
内森 别再说
Knock it off, Nathan.
但从乐观角度看
However, look on it optimistically.
你可能快出版一本新风格的
You might be on the verge of a whole new form,
白人搞笑作品
the Southern comic book.
轮到我的甜心了
And now, my sweet, my sweet.
斯汀戈
Stingo…
我想问你一个我疑惑已久的问题
I want to ask you one question that’s been burning in my mind for so long.
也许你可以向我解释一下
Yeah, well, maybe you can explain something to me.
就是你为何到这里
The reason maybe of why you are here.
等一等
Wait…
满身诱人香气走在街头
Walking these streets drenched in enticing perfumery…
偷偷摸摸地跟人鬼混
…engaged in surreptitious venery
不只跟一个 而是两个
with not one, but two.
各位 我们数算一下
Count them, ladies and gentlemen.
两名脊医
Two chiropractors.
简言之就是把握时机
In short, making hay while the sun shines,
从中取利
to employ an old bromide,
在奥斯维辛集中营
while at Auschwitz,
数百万名冤魂也想知道答案
the ghosts of the millions of the dead still seek an answer.
不要
No.
告诉我
Tell me.
苏菲 告诉我
Tell me, Sophie.
波兰也是举世知名
The same anti-Semitism
的反犹太主义国家
for which Poland has gained such worldwide renown,
反犹太主义同样引领你的命运
did a similar anti-Semitism guide your own destiny,
一直协助你 替你赢得同情
help you along, protect you in a manner of speaking,
结果数百万人死亡
so that you became one of the minuscule handful of people who lived
而你是少数幸存者之一
while the millions died?
告诉我 告诉我为什么
Tell me. Tell me why.
请解释
Explanation, please!
告诉我为什么 幸运编号♥11379
Tell me why, old lucky number 11379.
为什么你得以存活
Tell me why you inhabit the land of the living.
你可爱样子背后的脑袋里
What splendid little tricks and stratagem
有什么诀窍
sprang from that lovely head of yours
令你可以呼吸波兰的清新空气
to allow you to breath the clear Polish air,
奥斯维辛集中营数百万人却要吸入毒气慢慢死去
while the multitudes at Auschwitz choked slowly on the gas?
不
No!
解释
Explain!
解释一下
explain! Sm! it!
放开她
Lay off of her!
别拦着我
Get out of my way!
别拦着
Get out of my…
走开 走开
Stay away! Stay out!
走开 走开
Stay out! Get out of here!
走
Go away!
我走时他们还在
I’m leaving the house, they’re here.
我回去时房♥间空空如也 内森和苏菲都不见了
I come back, two empty rooms. No Nathan, no Sophie.
人们最后见到的
And the last anybody knows,
是内森将她推上车 他自己往另一方向跑了
he puts her in a cab and he runs off the other way.
我无法说出我多难受
I can’t tell you how hurt I was.
-是白拉士多医生吗 -是
– Is this Dr. Blackstock? – Yes.
我是苏菲·扎维杜司基的朋友
Listen, I’m a friend of Sophie Zawistowska’s,
斯汀戈 也许你听说过我
and you may have heard, I’m Stingo.
那位作家 苏菲极欣赏你
Oh, the writer! Sophie’s very proud of you.
对 听好 我在打听她的下落
Yeah. Listen, I’m trying to track her down.
你们不是住在同一间屋吗
But don’t you live in the same house?
她昨晚搬走了
Mmm-hmm. She moved out last night.
搬走了
Moved out?
她今早来电时似乎不太好
When she called in this morning, she wasn’t well.
我很担心她 她很讨人欢喜
I was worried about her. She’s such a darling girl.
你知道怎样可以找到她吗
Listen, do you have any idea how I can find her?
她的男友呢
What about the boyfriend?
我想他们分手了
Um, I think that’s over.
她可能到朋友那里去
Maybe she went to stay with a friend.
我不认识她的朋友
I don’t know any friends of hers.
有个波兰女子在布鲁克林大学替教授工作
There was this Polish girl who worked for a professor at Brooklyn College.
我记得她叫索尼娅·之士加
I remember her name. It was Sonja Wajinska.
请问有没有一位叫索尼娅·之士加的女人在此工作
Does a woman named Sonja Wajinska work here?
没有 对不起 她六个月前回波兰去了
No, lam sorry. She went back to Poland six months ago.
如果你需要我可以把她的地址给你
But if you like, I can give you her address.
谢谢
Thank you.
我想你不认识她的朋友 苏菲·扎维杜司基吧
You don’t happen to know a friend of hers, Sophie Zawistowska, do you?
我认识
Yes.
她来探过索尼娅一次
She came here once to visit Sonja,
但之后没有再来
but she did not come back again.
我在克拉科大学念书时已认识她
I recognized her from my days at the University of Krakow.
她是别甘斯基教授的女儿
She is the daughter of Professor Bieganski.
你是他的学生吗
Were you a student of his?
我听过他一堂课 但已经够了
I heard him lecture once. That was enough.
我知道他敢言反对纳粹党
I know that he was very outspoken about the Nazis.
他很拥护纳粹党
He was crazy about the Nazis.
我想是因为他跟他们一样痛恨犹太人
I think because they hated Jews as much as he did.
纳粹党把他杀掉了
The Nazis killed him.
有一天 他们来带走所有教学人员
They came one day and made a clean sweep of all academics.
彻查他们的政♥治♥信念
And they didn’t stop to check their political convictions.
我想你说的不是他
I think you have the wrong man.
我给你看看
Look, I shall show you.
别甘斯基
Bieganski.
这儿 别甘斯基
Look, Bieganski,
1919年至1939年
professor of law at the University of Krakow
在克拉科大学当教授
from 1919 to 1939,
他恐吓要对付犹太人
known for his anti-Semitic tracts.
他极力主张跟犹太人分席
A major promulgator of the ghetto bench rule,
犹太学生跟波兰学生坐在一起是违法的
which made it illegal for Jewish students to sit on the same bench as Poles.
看到了吧
So.
阿斯特丽德 你妈来电
Astrid, your mother’s on the phone.
我对雅达说我要搬走
I told Yetta I was leaving.
数周前爸来信
A few weeks before, I had received a letter from my father.
说他承继了小农场
He had inherited a small farm,
他知道我的钱快用光了
and knowing I was running out of money,
他建议我搬回南部
proposed that I come back South and live on it.
我不能忍♥受再留在布鲁克林
I could not bear to stay in Brooklyn.
下来 你妈在等
Come down, your mother’s waiting.
好的 我快下来了
All right, already. I’m coming.
嗨
Hello!
嗨
Hello!
苏菲 你回来了
Sophie, you’re back.
是 雅达 你好
Oh, yes, hello, Yetta.
我回来拿上次未搬的东西
I came to get the rest of my things.
有内森的消息吗
Have you heard from Nathan?
完全没有
No. Not a word.
今早派人来取回他的物品
Just sent some mover this morning to get the rest of his things.
好的
Okay.
好的
Okay.
斯汀戈
Stingo?
嗯
Yeah.
昨晚的事很抱歉
I’m sorry about what happened last night, you know that.
请你明白内森批评你的小说 不是认真的
I want you to know that Nathan didn’t mean what he said about your book.
你知道的 是吗
Well, you know that. Right?
我知道他的确喜欢你的作品
I know he really loves your writing.
现在没关系了
Look, that doesn’t matter anymore.
我是指我们仍然是朋友
But, I mean, we will still be friends.
我要走了 我要回家
You know, I’m leaving. I’m going home.
那儿较适合写作