苏菲的抉择
那时是1947年
It was 1947,
战争结束两年后我踏上旅程
two years after the war, when I began my journey
到父亲称为”北方所多玛”的
to what my father called the “Sodom of the north,”
纽约
New York.
叫我斯汀戈吧
Call me Stingo,
那时别人叫我做什么
which was the nickname I was known by in those days,
都称我为斯汀戈
if I was called anything at all.
我存的钱刚刚够写小说用
I had barely saved enough money to write my novel,
因为我渴望甚至梦想成为作家
for I wanted beyond hope or dreaming to be a writer.
但我的心灵封闭
But my spirit had remained landlocked,
从无体验过爱情和死亡
unacquainted with love and a stranger to death.
即使在那个年代
Even back then,
在曼哈顿也很难找到廉租♥房♥♥子
cheap apartments were hard to find in Manhattan.
于是我在陌生的布鲁克林
And so began my voyage of discovery
展开探索之旅
in a place as strange as Brooklyn.
我明白
I know.
你对那粉红色感到奇怪 大家都是这样
You’re thinking about the pink. Everybody does.
我死去的丈夫索尔
See, my late husband Saul, he got his bargain.
从海军那里买♥♥来大量的剩余油漆
Hundreds and hundreds of gallons of this navy surplus paint.
我想他们船上很少需要粉红色
See,l guess they didn’t have any use for pink on those boats, huh?
我租
Okay, I’ll take it.
雅达说有位来自南部的年轻小说家
到了粉红宫殿的王国里
你的邻居邀请你到楼上苏菲的套间
共进晚餐
今晚八时
这本书是见面礼
布鲁克林最早期的吟游诗人赠与布鲁克林的最新居民
苏菲与内森
噢 我爱你
Oh, I love you!
别走 别走
Don’t go! Don’t go!
-我要走 不 -不
– I’m out of here. Don’t! – No!
我们需要对方
We need each other.
我说过你别管我
I told you to leave me alone.
走开 别拦着我
Stay away from me. Get out of my way.
不 不 不要
No, no, don’t!
-我不是说谎 你知道的 -你说谎
– I’m not lying, you know! – You’re lying.
-我没有 -你说谎
– I’m not! – You’re lying.
请别走 别离开我
Please, don’t go! Don’t go away from me, please!
内森 我们需要对方 这点你是知道的
You know we need each other, Nathan, you know this.
我们需要对方
We need each other.
-我需要你 -是
– Me need you? – Yes…
告诉你
Let me tell you something.
你就像不可忍♥受的病毒
I need you like any goddamned insufferable disease I can name!
你就像一盒炭疽病毒
I need you like a case of anthrax, hear me?
就像毛线虫
Like trichinosis.
我讨厌你像讨厌胆石 糙皮症 脑炎
I need you like a biliary calculus, pellagra, encephalitis.
肾脏炎 天啊
Bright’s disease, for Christ’s sake!
脑癌
Carcinoma of the brain!
鬼才需要你
I need you like death.
听见了吗 鬼才需要你
Hear me? Like death.
内森 不要
No, Nathan.
回克拉科去吧
Go back to Krakow, baby.
回克拉科去
Back to Krakow!
晚上好
Well, good evening.
高兴吗
Did you have a good time?
我是指喜欢我们的小演出吗
I mean, did you enjoy our little show?
偷听人家说话过瘾吗
Do you get off on your little bit of eavesdropping?
你们只是 我的门开了 我想看看发生了什么事
You just… My door was open. I just wondered what was going on.
你的门开了 你想看看发生什么事
Your door was open? You wondered what was going on?
若不是给你这南方新晋文豪的脸面我才不开口
Well, shut my mouth if it isn’t our new literate figure from the South.
不能跟你畅谈真可惜
Too bad I won’t be around for a little lively conversation.
我和你本来可以天南地北畅谈一番
We would’ve had a great time, you and I, shooting the shit.
本来可以谈谈体育
We could’ve talked about sports.
南部体育如
Southern sports like
将黑人或”黑鬼”处私刑 我想你们那边是这样叫吧
lynching niggers, or “coons,” I think you all call them down there.
别了 白人 下辈子再见
So long, cracker. See you in another life.
你没事吧
You okay?
没事
Yes.
没事
Yeah.
很抱歉
I’m very sorry.
他平时不是
That’s not the way
这样的
he really is, you know?
你不用道歉
No, don’t apologize, all right?
我住在楼下 如果你有什么想要的话
I live downstairs here. If there’s anything you want…
谢谢你
Thank you.
你真是好人
You’re very kind.
我就在楼下
Anyway, I’m downstairs here.
不 我没事
No, I’m all right.
我叫斯汀戈
I’m Stingo.
请原谅我们
Please forgive us.
六十分 他筹集了五十分
Sixty cents. Anytime he raises 50 cents.
六十分
Sixty…
是谁
Yeah?
我们邀请你来吃晚餐
We had invited you to dinner.
你们真是好人
That’s very thoughtful of you.
我经常在晚上工作和打字
Uh, listen, l very often work at night and type at night.
但如果会打扰你 我不想
But if it’s going to bother you, I don’t want to…

Oh, no!
小时候
When I was a little girl,
我爸经常打字 我是听着打字声入睡的
my father type and I go to sleep to that sound.
这令我觉得有
It’ll make me feel…
那叫什么
God, how do you say that?
安全感 安全感
Secure. Secure.
令尊是作家吗
Your father was a writer?
不 我爸是
No, my father was…
我爸是法律教授
My father was professor of law.
他写文章
He wrote articles
警告波兰人当心纳粹党的威胁
warning Polish people of the Nazi threat
并帮助被迫♥害♥的犹太人
and trying to get help for those Jews that was persecuted, so.
那种打字声让我想起爸爸
Yeah, that sound of typing will make me think of my father
和他的善行
and of his goodness.
你不想进来吗
You wouldn’t want to come in, would you?
改天吧
Maybe some other time.
失陪
So, if you’ll forgive me.
-晚安 -好
– Good night. – Yeah.
斯汀戈
stinko, yeah?
斯汀戈
Stingo.
斯汀戈 是的
Stingo, yes!
我从来没听过这名字
I never hear that name.
是三点水的
There’s no “K” in there, though.
知道了
I got it.
是汀
Just a
不错
Yeah, it’s nice!
听起来很友好很开心
It’s a friendly, you know, happy sound.
我喜欢
I like it.
内森
Oh, Nathan!
内森
Oh, Nathan.
天啊
on, God!
苏菲 你不明白吗 我们快要死了
Don’t you see, Sophie? We are dying.
快起床 懒虫
Rise and shine, honey child. Stir them lazy bones.
早餐都准备好了
The grits on the griddle, the corn’s on the pone.
马车也备好了
Old Ponkers plan to hitch up the coach and four.
今天去海边野餐
You’re going to have a picnic out and down by the seashore.
斯汀戈 早安
Good morning, Stingo.
早安
Good morning.
我们想跟你做朋友
We wanted to make friends
带你出去享受美丽夏日
and to take you out on this beautiful summer day!
我们想叫你上来一起吃早餐
We want you to come up and have breakfast with us.
-然后 -对
And then… Yes.
到康尼岛
Coney Island.
康尼岛 噢
Coney Island! Oh, boy!
昨晚的事真抱歉
Sorry about last night.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!