我不知道鲸鱼在哪里
I didn’t know where the whales were.
我不知道我在哪里
I didn’t know where I was.
洋流带着我走
The current was taking me.
我船上有一支笛子
I had my flute onboard.
我拿起笛子开始吹
And I picked up my flute and started play,
可能是为了让自己平静下来
probably to calm me down.
过了几分钟,呃,鲸鱼过来了
And after a few minutes, uh, the whales came by.
它们在移♥动♥的时候,朝着我过来
As they were moving, they were coming toward me.
它们本可以去别的地方
They could’ve gone somewhere else.
它们知道我在那里
They knew I was there.
突然,我感觉到我的脚蹼下有东西
And all of a sudden, I felt something under my flippers.
然后鲸鱼从船下游过来
And then the whale came under the boat
大副吓得要死
and the first mate was freaking out,
觉得他们都要完蛋了
like they’re all gonna die.
鲸鱼把我顶出水面
And just lifted me out of the water.
把船顶起来,放在它的背上
Whale lifted the boat up on its back and,
你知道,船完全出了水面
you know, it was clear out of the water.
我放下笛子,拿起桨
I put down my flute and picked up the paddle
开始跟着它们划
and started following them.
呃,过了一会儿,我又迷路了
And, uh, after a little while, I got lost again.
所以我停下桨,拿起笛子
So I stopped paddling and picked up my flute
开始吹起来
and started playing it.
它们又回来围着我
And they came back around me again.
(克拉克) 我潜下去
(Clark) And I dove down,
看着她的眼睛
and I looked her in the eye.
我们互相凝视着
We were looking at each other.
当你看到一只鲸鱼的眼睛时,呃
When you look in the eyes of a whale, uh,
它们其实在看…
they’re actually looking…
它们能看到你的灵魂,你知道吗?
They’re seeing your soul, you know?
如果你有洞察力,你会看到它们的灵魂
And if you’re perceptive, you’ll see their soul.
我伸出手摸了摸她
And I reached out and touched her.
我本可以摸到它们的
I could have touched them.
抓住它的鳍
Took its flipper, and just…
把它放在那个…
Laid it on the head of this guy
你知道,那个被打了很多枪的家伙的头上
from… you know, the guy that was all shot up.
他太兴奋了
You know, he was just so excited.
他坐在那里玩着鲸鱼身上的藤壶什么的
He was sitting there playing with the barnacles and stuff on it.
而…而大副觉得
And… and the first mate was thinking,
他要被砍头了
well, he’s gonna get his head chopped off.
当你是一个小小的潜水者时
When you are little wee, wee diver there,
它们知道你在那里
they know you’re there.
它们把鳍翻过来,收回去
They flip them and fold them back.
因为它们完全意识到你的存在
Because they’re totally aware of your presence.
它们不想伤害你
And they don’t wanna hurt you.
(男人) 最后,呃,我来到了一个从雾中隐约出现的岛屿
(Man) Finally, uh, I came to an island that loomed up out of the fog,
登上陆地等雾散去
and landed and waited until the fog cleared.
我想说,这是我…
And I would say, one of the…
我经历过的最深刻的经历之一…
One of the profound experiences I had…
对我来说,这些是我最感动的经历
To me, these are some of the most, uh, emotional experiences I’ve had.
就这样,我爱上了它们
That was it. I was in love.
就是…就是这样
Right? It was… that was it.
[鲸鱼叫声]
[Whale calling]
(斯汀) 我听着海洋里的动物和鱼类都要承受的噪音
(Sting) I was listening to the noise that sea mammals and fish are all subjected to,
这让我很痛苦
which was painful to me.
我…我能感觉到这会… 会导致一种…
I… I can see that it would… it would cause a…
精神错乱,你懂吗?
A psychosis, you know?
日复一日…
Day after day…
(男人) 听觉真正发展起来是作为一种动物探测系统
(Man) Hearing really developed as an animal detection system,
是建立警觉的主要手段
the primary means of establishing an alert
你必须迅速逃跑或躲藏
that you had to get away, get away quickly.
因为说实话逃跑或躲藏是…
Because really, it was a matter of flight or hide is…
是唯一的生存模式
Were your only modes of survival.
我们的系统对噪音的应激反应
Our system’s stress in response to noise
来自于这种环境上动物必须避免威胁的必要性
comes from this environmentally animal necessity of avoiding a threat.
所以我们听到街上的警笛声…
So we hear sirens on the street…
每一次警笛声,都将显示
Every one of those sirens, it can be shown,
你会有一些心率升高
you’re going to get some elevation in heart rate,
血管收缩,应激激素释放
some vasoconstriction, release of stress hormones.
所有这些不同的应激指标都会发生在你身上
All of these different stress markers happen to you.
所以我们遭受着这种应激的轰炸
So we’re getting this barrage of stress
即使我们没有意识到这一点
even when we don’t perceive it as such.
如果你曾经在一个非常吵闹的俱乐部
If you’ve ever been in an incredibly loud club
或派对或餐厅里
or a loud party or a loud restaurant,
有一刻你感觉到眩晕和恶心
and there was a moment when you actually felt vertigo and nausea
因为你觉得你再也无法在那里呆下去了
because you didn’t think that you could survive there another moment,
然后你冲出门去…
and you burst out the door…
想象一下对于那些海洋生物来说会是什么样子
Imagine what it is for these marine species
它们没有门可以穿过逃离
that have no door to pass through to get away.
它们无处可去
There’s nowhere to go.
(男人) 几年前,有一群研究人员
(Man) Few years ago, there were a group of researchers
一直在采集北大西洋露脊鲸的粪便样本
who had been taking fecal samples of North Atlantic right whales.
他们在2001年采集的数据中发现了一些很有趣的事情
They saw something really funny in their data taken from 2001.
那些粪便样本显示出越来越少的应激激素
Those fecal samples registered fewer and fewer stress hormones.
他们仔细观察
They looked more closely
发现他们的样本似乎在一个特定的日期发生了转变
and they found that their samples seemed to turn around at a particular date.
那就是9月11日
And that was September 11th.
(男人) 在9月11日之后
(Man) After September 11th,
有很多航运交通停止了
there was a halt to so much of shipping traffic.
而航运交通的下降
And that fall in shipping traffic
似乎与露脊鲸的应激激素水平的显著下降有关
seemed to correlate with a dramatic fall in stress hormones in right whales.
他们在其他年份没有看到这种情况
They didn’t see this in any other year.
船只噪音的数量和这些动物的生理和应激水平之间
There’s a direct, significant correlation between the amount of ship noise
有着直接的、显著的相关性
and the physiology and the stress levels in these animals.
这是一个毁灭性的发现
It’s a devastating finding.
它令人震惊,因为它是如此可衡量
It’s shocking because it’s so measurable,
就在袭击之后发现的
what was found in the wake of the attacks.
(鲍尔科姆) 他们在海军军官学院教你的第一件事是
(Balcomb) One of the first things they teach you at, uh, the naval officer academy
谁控制了海洋,谁就控制了世界
is he who rules the ocean, rules the world.
这是实话
And it’s true.
我说服了一个朋友在搁浅事件的第二天去飞行
I talked a friend into going for a flight the following morning of the stranding.
我们搜索了一下,发现了更多的标本
We searched around and found more specimens.
但我们也看到了军舰
But we also saw military ships,
美国海军驱逐舰和一些其他战舰
U.S. Navy destroyer and some other warships.
所以我就把两件事联♥系♥在一起
So then I just put the two and two together.
(麦克亚当斯) 对于肯·鲍尔科姆来说,拼图的缺失部分是美国海军
(McAdams) The missing piece of the puzzle for Ken Balcomb was the U. S. Navy,
他曾入伍,并获得了杰出的成就
an institution he had served in with distinction during his early career.
(鲍尔科姆) 战舰们用非常高♥强♥度和频率的声音
(Balcomb) The warships were bouncing their sonars
来反射他们的声呐
with very high intensity and frequency sound.
[声呐尖叫]
[Sonar squealing]
一种刺耳的音调很难听
A screeching tone is hard to listen to.
它太强烈了
It’s just overpowering.
我无法想象有什么比
I can’t imagine anything more absurd
在市中心投放声学炸♥弹♥更荒谬的事情了
than dropping acoustic bombs in downtown cities.
这是… 是一样的概念
It’s… it’s equivalent.
(麦克亚当斯) 海军战舰使用一种
(McAdams) Naval warships use a technique
模仿鲸鱼和海豚自然能力的技术
that mimics the natural abilities of whales and dolphins.
(鲍尔科姆) 他们会发出咔哒声
(Balcomb) They’ll send out a click
然后听取目标的回声
and listen for the echo off a target,
从而知道它离自己有多远
and know how far away it is
以及它的速度和类型
and how fast it’s moving and even what kinda target.
声呐是美国海军和世界其他海军
Sonar is the principal submarine detection system
用来探测潜艇的主要系统
used by the U. S. Navy and other navies of the world.
(麦克亚当斯) 乔尔·雷诺兹在他的职业生涯中
(McAdams) Joel Reynolds has spent much of his career
花了很多时间在法庭上为保护海洋而战
fighting in the courts to protect the oceans.
(雷诺兹) 海军开♥发♥了一种叫做主动声呐的东西
(Reynolds) The Navy developed something called active sonar.
他们用这个系统来保护
And this is the system that they use to protect
我们那些载有5000名水手的庞大航♥空♥母舰
our massive aircraft carriers with 5,000 sailors on them.
简单地说
In its simplest terms,
它就是在水下产生极其响亮的声音来探测目标
it involves generating extremely loud sound underwater to detect targets.
(鲍尔科姆) 它是一种扫动
(Balcomb) It’s in a sweep.