But if you do say to Mr. nordraak that you will return in two weeks, – please keep your promise. – You can count on it Mrs. schmidt.
嗨,– 嗨。
Hello. – Hello.
我和医生说了我两周后回来,我和李斯特见完了面就立刻回来。
I told the doctor I’d be back in two weeks, just as soon as I meet with liszt.
没事,没关系的。
If you can’t, fine.
你是当真的吗,爱德华?
You really mean that, edvard?
我向你保证。
You have my word.
我们还有太多关于挪威音乐的宏伟计划。
We have so many plans for Norwegian music.
我保证你我一定会坚持到底的,请相信这点。
And I promise we’ll carry them through, you and I.
早上好,格里格先生。
Good morning, Mr. grieg.
早上好。
Good morning.
对了,我们的一个会员留言说如果你来了,他想和你聊聊。
Oh, by the way one of our members left word that if you came in he’d like to see you.
哦,好的。是谁?– 吉布森。
Oh, who? – Mr. Gibson.
亨利克·易卜生(挪威戏剧家)? — 嗯,是的。
Henrik ibsen? – Mhm.
早上好,易卜生。– 是你吗,格里格。
Good morning, ibsen. – Ah, it’s you, grieg.
不好意思,我们找个地方谈谈。– 好的。
Excuse me, let’s go somewhere we can talk. – Yes.
我刚刚得知你已成为我们俱乐部的一员。
I’ve just learned that you’ve become a member of our club.
是的,几天前。
Yes, a few days ago.
什么风把你吹来罗马了?
What brings you to Rome?
哦,我和弗朗茨·李斯特有个约会。
Well, I’m hoping to meet Franz liszt.
大家都说如果李斯特看中一个年轻的音乐家,那他的事业就有保障了。
Well, they say if liszt gets behind a young musician, his career is assured.
是的。– 但我不觉得你能很快见到他。
Yes. – But I wouldn’t count on seeing him too soon.
我想他是个大忙人。– 好的,我知道了。
I imagine he’s a pretty busy man. – Oh, I’ve found that out.
你玩玩吗? — 好的,我会玩点。
Do you play? – Yes, well I think so.
可有一段时间没玩这个了。
I haven’t played it for some time.
我想和你谈谈我最近的一部戏,《培尔·金特》。
I wanted to talk to you about my play, peer gynt.
哦,是的,非常精彩。
Oh, yes that’s a marvelous play.
我想把它改编成一部有音乐剧。
I’ve decided to make it a play with music.
你有兴趣为之谱曲吗?
Would you be interested in composing the score?
当然可以。
Of course.
啊!太感谢了,易卜生先生。
Oh, yes thank you very much, Mr. ibsen.
很好。当然,我还得先修改一下,不过我可以在一两周内把手稿给你。
Good, I’ll have to make a few revisions first, of course but I could let you have the manuscript in a week or two.
这么快? — 嗯,是的。
That soon? – Oh, yes.
你得马上开始了,估计你要花一年甚至更长的时间。
You’d have to start on it right away and you could count on it taking you a year or more.
该你了。
Uh, it’s your move.
不巧的是,在圣诞节前,我已经答应为一部歌♥剧写音乐。
Unfortunately, in the convenial spirit of Christmas, I’ve promised to write the music for an opera.
答应谁了?
Promised whom?
当然没有人比你更重要了,易卜生先生。
Well, certainly no one as important as you Mr. ibsen.
那你还犹豫什么?
Then why are you hesitating?
是我的一个朋友,他现在正在写剧本。
Well, it’s a friend of mine and he’s working on the libretto now.
所以,事实上,我还没有收到他的剧本。
Although, as a matter of fact, I haven’t received it yet.
那么?
Well?
好的。
All right.
只要你准备好了,我很乐意开始为您谱曲。
I’d be delighted to start on the music as soon as you’re ready for me.
好。
Good.
他的女房♥东补充了这句话。
His landlady added this postscript.
”医生给诺德拉克先生的父亲写信了,请他立即过来;
很显然他已经处于生死危险中。
“Dr. steinruck has written to Mr. nordraak’s father, asking him to come immediately, apparently he’s never been in greater danger than now.
请允许我提醒你,你曾经答应诺德拉克先生两周后一定回来。
And may I remind you of your promise to Mr. nordraak to return in two weeks.
他还一直指望着你信守诺言呢,施密特太太。”
He’s been counting on your words, Mrs. Schmidt.”
我得马上离开。
I’ve got to leave at once.
亲爱的,我知道这对你来说有多困难,但你不能推迟和李斯特的约会。
Darling, I understand how difficult this must be for you, but you just can’t postpone your appointment with liszt.
你等了这么久,估计还要再等六天。
You waited this long, you could surely remain another six days.
我不知道。
I don’t know.
但理查德当然明白,安排与李斯特这样重要的人会面是需要时间的。
But of course rikard understands that is takes time to arrange meeting with a man like liszt.
而且这对你意味着什么。
And what it means to you.
我把所有这些都写进了信里了,但都白费了。
I’ve put all that in 20 letters and all had been wasted, asking.
很难和你最好的朋友说出口,自己的的事业要优先于他。
It’s hard to tell your best friend that your career comes before him.
我虽身体虚弱,但强壮的内心仍充满北方的声音。
In spite of my iliness, my heart is still full of the sounds of the north.
我向上帝祈祷你早日回来。
And I pray to god you’ll come soon.
为了我们共同的伟大目标,我们可以一起努力。
That we may work together towards the great goals we share.
我感谢您的来信,感谢您让我来到罗马。
And I thank your kind letter for my being in Rome.
全凭您的答复,我才获得了一笔政♥府♥的补助金。
On the strength of your reply I received a government Grant.
但这首奏鸣曲,是为钢琴和小提琴而编制的。
But this sonata, is for piano and violin.
格里格先生和我一起演奏吧,我来弹小提琴部分。
Mr. grieg and I will play together, I’ll be the violin.
请坐。
Take a stool.
哦,爱德华,爱德华,亲爱的。
Oh, edvard, edvard, darling.
我觉得自己就是个彻头彻尾的傻瓜,总是忍♥不住要哭。
I feel like a complete fool as someone who can’t keep their tears back.
你好,克罗格斯塔德先生,什么风把你吹到意大利来了?
Well, hello, Mr. krogstad, what brings you to Italy?
钢琴,事实上,我多等了三天才去听你的音乐会。
Pianos, as a matter of fact, I waited over an extra three days to attend your concert.
过奖了。
I’m flattered.
现在我可以亲自给妮娜写一份第一手的观察报告了。
Now I can give Nina a first hand report, in person.
呃,你是由赫尔辛基过来的吗?
Uh, you are returning by helsinger?
不,我直接回克里斯蒂安尼亚。
No, I’m going directly to christiania.
好吧,……我有点不明白您的意思。
Well, I… I don’t understand.
尼娜住在赫尔辛基。
Nina is living in helsingear.
不,妮娜住在你在克里斯蒂安尼亚的家里,她从未离开过那里。
No, Nina is living in your own home in christiania, she never left.
可是我的信呢? –它们是转发的。
But my letters? – They were forwarded.
……她靠什么做生活来源呢?
Well, what… what could she be living on?
她把她父亲留给她的小屋给卖♥♥了。
The money she received from her father’s cottage, she sold it.
不,不,不,妮娜说世上没有任何东西能让她离开那间小屋。
Oh, no, no, no Nina said that nothing in the world would make her part with that cottage.
除了给你买♥♥了架钢琴,格里格先生,它一直保存在我那里。
Except to buy you a piano, Mr. grieg, I was holding it until the money came.
钢琴?
Piano?
尼娜,她给我买♥♥了架钢琴吗?
Nina, was… she was buying a piano for me?
如果我早知道这样,我就不会…没有你给他买♥♥的那辆豪华,伯格女士。
If I’d only known I would never have… It’s not as grand as the one that you bought him, Ms. berg.
但妮娜的这架有着丰富的内心。
But, uh, Nina’s had a heart.
下面这份名单,几乎所有来自斯堪的纳维亚俱乐部的人都接受了。
Here’s the list, nearly everyone from the Scandinavian club has accepted.
这将是一个盛大的聚会。
It will be a wonderful party.
我想这是一场盛大的庆祝活动吧?
A gala celebration I take it?
是的,就是这个意思。
Yes, that was the idea.
格里格先生确实有很多值得骄傲的地方。
Mr. grieg has much to be proud of.
作为晚餐后的惊喜,我冒昧地让乐队为大家准备了《索尔维格之歌♥》。
As a little after dinner surprise, I have taken the Liberty of giving the orchestra the music for solveig song.
特蕾莎,我希望你能为我们献唱。
Therese, I have hoped that you would sing it for us.
不…不,我可能做不到,我很抱歉,我担心唱不好。
No… no, I can’t do that, I’m so sorry but I couldn’t do it justice.
请,特蕾莎。
Please, therese.
冬天过去了,春天过去了,春天过去了。
The winter made way and the springtime go by, the springtime passed by.
夏天的太阳沉浸在阴沉秋天的天空中,如此寒冷,整个一年都结束了吧。
The summer sun grow chilly in the somber Autumn sky and so the whole year died.
我依然会留在这里深情等候,直到你回来。
And still will I remain till at last you return for this in truth I know.
总有一天你会回到那片土地,回到你离开了很久的深爱中。
One day you will return to the land and to the love you left so long ago.
剩下的就是重复了。
Well, the rest is just a repeat.
天快亮了。
Well it’s almost dawn.
我们都经历过这样的夜晚。
We’ve all had a night of it.
但我们不能不唱国歌♥就走。
But we can’t go without singing our anthem.
你知道我们的国歌♥是谁创作的吗?歌♥词是比格伦森,音乐是理查德·诺德拉克。
You know who wrote our anthem, the words are by bj@rnson and the music by Richard nordraak.
是的,我们满怀挚爱这片神奇的土地,
崎岖不平,海面狂风暴雨,但她拥有千家万户—。
Yes, we love with fond devotion this our land that looms rugged, storm-scared o’er the ocean, with her thousand homes.
爱德华,爱德华,等等
Edvard, edvard please.
请等我一下。
Please wait for me.
真奇怪,爱德华,像我这样愚蠢固执的执念怎么能随意控制住人。
It’s strange, edvard, how a stupid willful obsession can take hold of someone.
它怎么可能摒除所有意念而只留下一个想法—
How it can block out every thought but one.
你知道,我曾说服自己,只有通过我的钱来帮助你,
你的才华才能被这个世界所接受。
You see, I had convinced myself that it would be only through my money that your genius could begin into the world.
可我的钱换来的却只是每个人的心痛。
All my money bought was heartaches for everyone.
即使是你今晚的成功,你最起码也是要先感谢你自己的才华和努力。
And even your success tonight, you can thank your talent for that.
噢,谢谢你。
Oh, thank you.
还有那些宴会上的芸芸众生,也都是为了体现自己的荣耀。
And all that round of friends at parties, all a bid for reflected glory.
好了,你知道了。
Well, there you have it.
我认为你是一个了不起的女人,我非常钦佩你。
I think you’re a marvelous woman and I admire you very much.
不过,你爱的还是尼娜。
Still, it’s Nina you love.
是的。
Yes.
是比格伦森寄来的。
It’s from bjrnson.
这是他歌♥剧的剧本。
It’s the libretto for his opera.
他显然是在收到我的回信之前就寄出了。
He obviously sent it before he received my letter regarding it.
我让大家失望了。
I’ve let everybody down.
爱德华•格里格。
Edvard grieg.
是的,您是?
Yes?
我是理查德·诺德拉克的父亲。
I am rikard nordraak’s father.
哦,他怎么样了?
Oh, how is he?
我的儿子死了。
My son is dead.
哦,不!。– 我儿子死的时候心里非常悲伤。
No. – My son died with a deep sadness in his heart.
我可以向你保证,格里格先生,我不是出于自愿来见你的。
I can assure you, Mr. grieg, I did not come to see you of my own free will.
我热切地希望你我从此永不再见面。
And it is my fervent hope that you and I never again meet.
理查德从他的日记里撕下了这一页,这是他最后一次的请求。
要我把它交给你。