首先 我们要看能不能在
The first step is to see
狗身上创造一个”蓝婴”症状
if we can create the “blue baby” condition in a dog…
然后在找办法解决它
and then come up with a plan to solve it.
你咖啡喝得太多了
You’re drinking too much coffee.
巴尔扎克每天喝300杯
Balzac drank 300 cups of coffee in one day.
当然他也因溃疡而死
Of course, he died of a perforated ulcer.
在实验室复♥制♥这种状况的可能性不大
Odds are against us reproducing this in the laboratory.
你确信要接手这事
Are you sure this is the limb you want to climb out on?
29岁那年 当我得了肺结核
Back in ’29, when I had TB…
X光显示我得左肺部有个大洞
the x-rays showed a big gaping hole in my left lung.
我躺在纽约北部
I laid there on a freezing porch…
一家疗养院冰冷门廊里
in a sanatorium in upstate New York…
身上盖着18层毯子
with 18 blankets on me.
只有鼻子露在外面
Nothing but my nose exposed to the elements.
每天死神萦绕
Death’s a very humbling thing to live with day in and day out.
当时 我发誓
I swore then…
如果我获得重生 我得做件大事来挑战它
if I got my life back, I would do something important with it.
我清楚 我身体里的每根神经
I know, in every fiber of my being…
都提醒我 这事就是我需要搞定的
that this is a limb I want to climb out on.
孩子们的血管只有3到4毫米粗
It’s gonna be hell trying to work with a child’s vessels…
要动它可是危险重重
three or four millimeters thick.
就像用煮熟的意大利面条穿针引线
Like sewing over cooked spaghetti noodles.
我们得用最小的缝合器
We’ll need the smallest sutures.
我们需要自♥制♥工具
We’ll need to make our own tools.
我们也许会遭遇麻烦 维维安 大♥麻♥烦
-We could be in for trouble, Vivien. -Big trouble.
阿尔费雷德·巴诺克博士请到手术室来
Dr. Alfred Blalock to OR, please.
他们简直要把我逼疯
They’re driving me crazy.
这场该死的战争
This goddamn war.
我们医生人手不足
We don’t have enough doctors. My surgery cases are through the roof.
我的外科手术日程都要排到天花板上了
We don’t have enough doctors. My surgery cases are through the roof.
如果我不是去做手术 就能够去教书了
If I’m not operating, I’m teaching.
你将不得不承担大部分的工具研制任务
You’re gonna have to do most of this research.
你需要做个什么
What’ll you need?
我需要做个小得能适合婴儿的牛头钳
I need a bulldog clamp small enough for the baby…
但又能足以阻断血流
but strong enough to stop the flow of blood.
呼吸机呢
What about a breathing device?
我倾向正压呼吸机 但随着战争进行…
I’d love a Positive Pressure Respirator, but with this war going on….
嗯 器材都没有
Yeah, how in hell can I do the experiments
鬼知道怎么做实验
if I can’t even get the equipment?
闭嘴
Shut up.
你肯定惹恼了埃德加 海克
You surely pissed off Ed Hecker.
你是说我吵了他的午睡
You mean I disturbed his afternoon nap?
你和你那小子怎么回事 托马斯
What is it with you and that boy of yours? Thomas.
为何把他带这里来
Why’d you bring him up here?
我们共事了12年
We’ve been together more than 12 years.
他是个非常不错的技工
He’s a really good worker.
来点小小的赌注如何
How about a little wager?
50美元
$50?
判他一个犯规 你接受这局赌注了
-Give him a break, Dick. -You’re on.
外面传说你正考虑做心脏手术
There’s a rumor going around you’re contemplating heart surgery.
这谣传有点意思 你觉得呢
That’s an intriguing rumor, don’t you think?
如果我们最先做这个 岂非大功一件
Wouldn’t it be a feather in our cap if we were the first ones to do it?
确实 但我还是要表示怀疑
Indeed, it would. But I hope you’ll forgive my skepticism.
找不出理由来证明它可以施行
There is no reason for us to think it’s possible.
每条规则都说它不可能
And every indicator says it can’t be done.
我们大部分人都同意 艾尔 风险太大了
Most of us agree, Al, the risks are huge.
甚至都没有任何前人累积的经验
There isn’t even any incremental progress.
你们看到的是风险 我看到的是机会
Where you see risks, I see opportunity.
你得弄好4楼的水池
You gotta take care of that sink up in 4-B.
你还说过要修这些台阶
You said you were gonna fix these steps.
是的 请原谅 我最近工作很忙 但我会处理的
Yes, forgive me, I’ve been very busy at work. But I will get to it.
约定好的这些零活儿每个月给你7美元
The deal is $7 off for odd jobs every month.
你最好快点去做
You gotta pick up the pace.
盟军在卡西诺附近的战斗
With allied forces fighting at Cassino…
给德国陆军元帅凯塞林带来了…
German Field Marshal Kesselring has earned a reputation as one of our few….
亲爱的 做得很可口
This is good, sweetheart. It’s got some kick to it tonight.
和昨晚一样 只是放在盘子里翻了个面
The same as last night. Just put it on a different side of the plate.
偶尔会有些进步哦
Sometimes it’s better the next day.
我倒希望如此
I hope so, ’cause guess what?
明天吃另一面
Tomorrow it’s hash a la king.
今天吃的是这一面
It’s hash a la queen tonight.
我得去找份工作
I could get a job.
谁来照顾女儿
Who’ll look after the girls?
我知道这里不是纳什维尔
I know it’s not Nashville.
我知道
And I know…
如果没有你 我现在的工作根本无法进行
I wouldn’t be able to do what I’m doing without you.
我父亲照顾过我们 现在 我来照顾你们
My father took care of us, I’ll take care of you.
一切都会顺利的 我们会在这里过得很好
And everything’s gonna be just fine. We’ll be just fine here.
我明白 你说得没错 我们会在这里过得很好
I know, you’re right. We’ll be fine here.
照这样的速度下去 我们的实验狗就要用光了
We’re gonna run out of dogs at this rate, Vivien.
才3个月 我就觉得快要黔驴技穷了
It’s been three months, and all I’m closer to is retirement.
不管你做什么 有时候慢工出细活
Things move slow sometimes. No matter what you want.
我调好了30%的稀释液
I’m getting close. I’ve got 30% desaturation.
我调好了30%的稀释液
I’m getting close. I’ve got 30% desaturation.
那条狗只是最多只是微微发蓝
That dog was faintly blue at best.
如果我们不把婴儿的状况 正好复♥制♥到狗身上
Until we get the dog in the same state as the baby,
研究就无法继续
we can’t go forward.
问题在哪里呢 每次我压缩血管 就把狗弄死了
-What is the problem? -Every time I constrict, it kills the dogs.
我试过尼龙 绷带 脐带 牛革
I’ve tried nylon, ligature, umbilical tape, ox facet.
我们要换种方法
We need a new approach.
好 不要管压缩血管了
Okay, forget constriction.
试试局部切除 切掉右边肺叶上的圆状凸起
Try a partial lobectomy. Remove both lobes of the right lung.
在中间大动脉和肺动脉的连接处
Do an arteries to veins fistula, where the medial wall of the aorta…
做一根连接动脉和静脉的瘘管
and the pulmonary artery adhere.
我要去手术室了
I’ll be in the OR.
真是个好主意 博士 谢谢你
That’s a very good idea, Doctor. Thank you.
老天 你已经尽力了
-God damn it! -You did the best you could.
考虑到他肝脏的状况 你没有希望的
With the condition of his liver, you never had a chance.
我一直都有希望的
I always have a chance.
把他的尸检拿来 是
-Get me his autopsy. -Yes.
MD
Shit.
见鬼
Damn.
那是什么 我们新的呼吸机
-What’s that? -Our new respirator.
我在机械修理店翻出来的
I was rummaging around the machine shop.
不好看 但管用
It’s not pretty, but it works.
谁说不好看
It is pretty.
我就知道你靠得住
I knew I could count on you.
这里唯一能信赖的人就是你了
You’re the only one I can trust around here.
我怀疑其他人看我栽跟头就高兴了
I suspect others relish the thought of seeing me fail.
玛丽
Mary!
车道上有辆急救车
-There’s an ambulance in the driveway. -Good evening.
晚上好
-There’s an ambulance in the driveway. -Good evening.
克明瀚将军需要用那车把 士兵们从船上卸下来
Gen. Cunningham needed help carting wounded Gl’s off the ship.
所以我去兵营里做了回志愿者
So I volunteered to be a driver on the base.
不错啊 并非如此
-That’s wonderful. -Not really.
我空闲时间太多了
I’ve a lot of time on my hands.
她还没睡
She wouldn’t go to bed?
在等你回来
Not until you came home.
你知道她今天说什么了
You know what she said today?
她说她长大想当个病人
She said she wanted to be a patient when she grows up.
这样她就能见到她父亲了
So she can get to see her daddy.
我可不记得你在社交舞会上带过工具带
I don’t remember you wearing a tool belt at your coming-out party.
我大概
Guess it has been…
有两周没在11点以前回家了把
a couple of weeks since I made it home before 1 1:00.
不 23天了
No, it’s 23 days.
我不是不知道作为医生妻子你会晚归
Not as if I don’t know the lot of a doctor’s wife…
但我想你
but I miss you.
我以后会早回的
It’s gonna change.
很可能更晚
It’s probably gonna get worse.
-维维安 – 隆美尔博士
-Vivien. -Dr. Longmire.