“That was Marlon Brando.”
阿尔·帕西诺是这样 罗伯特·迪尼罗是这样
“That was Al Pacino. That was Robert De Niro.”
今年 大家都在谈论的演员
“And this year…”
则是西尔维斯特·史泰龙”
“…the actor that everyone will be talking about is Sylvester Stallone.”
西尔维斯特·史泰龙是哪根葱?
Who the fuck is Sylvester Stallone?
然后 我终于看到一段电视广♥告♥
Then I finally see a TV spot.
《狂野少年》里的史丹利 就是西尔维斯特·史泰龙?
Stanley from Lords of Flatbush is Sylvester Stallone?!
他是继罗伯特·德尼罗 和马龙·白兰度之后最厉害的演员?
He’s the greatest actor to come out since Robert De Niro and Marlon Brando?
好吧
Wow. Okay.
想要主演可以说你十分大胆
Fairly presumptuous of you to expect to be able to star in it,
因为一直以来 你都是饰演小角色 对吧?
because your career up to then had been small parts, right?
是啊 你说“小”都已经很客气了
That’s kind of you to even say small.
但我感觉 如果注定我要失败
But I felt that, jeez, if I was going to go down,
至少是在职业生涯中寂寂无名
at least into professional obscurity,
我想至少有机会 对自己说:“反正你试过了”
I wanted to at least have the opportunity to say to myself, “Well, you tried.”
就算一事无成 我还有一部惬意的家庭电影
If nothing else, I had a good home movie.
我父母会喜欢
My parents would enjoy it.
《洛奇》上映几个月后 史莱的爸爸给我打电♥话♥
Rocky comes out. A few months later, Sly’s dad calls me.
“约翰 我能过来见你吗?”
“John, can I come over and see you?”
他说:“我有个剧本”
He says, “I got a script.”
“我有真正的《洛奇》剧本” “什么意思?”
“I got the real Rocky.” “What do you mean?”
“我写了《洛奇》现实版”
“I wrote the real Rocky.”
“你写了部拳击电影?” “对”
“You wrote a boxing movie?” “Yeah.”
“你给史莱看了吗?” “没有 我想让你看”
“Did you give it to Sly?” “No, I want you to read it.”
“也许你能把它拍出来” “不 那也…弗兰克”
“Maybe you can make it.” “No, that’s… Frank.”
“你为什么不给史莱看看? 但我觉得这个题材已经有人拍了”
“Why don’t you give it to Sly to read? But I think that area has been done.”
他还在和史莱竞争
He was still competing with Sly.
他说:“我在写 一部叫《桑尼》的剧本”
He goes, “Hey, I’m writing a script called Sonny.”
史莱说:“那是什么?” “就像洛奇的儿子”
Sly goes, “What’s that about?” “It’s like Rocky, Sonny.”
史莱说:“你不能那样做 这是我的作品”
Sly goes, “You can’t do that, Dad. It’s my creation.”
我觉得我父亲很嫉妒 我问:“你在嫉妒什么?
I think my father was jealous. I said, “What are you jealous of?”
他拼尽全力 你又没有帮他 是他自己的成就”
“He worked his ass off. You didn’t help him. He did this.”
成功可能会毁掉一个家庭
Success can really wreak havoc on a family.
我并不知道 《洛奇》一上映 我的事业一夜之间全被抹杀
Unbeknownst to me, my career was just canceled overnight when Rocky came out.
突然之间 我变成了洛奇的弟弟
All of a sudden, I became Rocky’s brother.
他很难过 我弟弟很有创意
It was hard on him. My brother is very, very creative,
我的成功让他深受创伤
and he was pretty traumatized by my success.
没人想到他会成为美国偶像
No one was expecting him to be, like, an American icon.
一旦你实现了梦想
Once you get to your dream,
你就会意识到 这不是我的梦想
you realize, this wasn’t my dream.
我的梦想并不是…
My dream has not made…
结果并不是我预想的那样
It’s not turned out the way I thought.
伴随而来的还有…
It comes also with, uh…
风暴前沿
like, a storm front
你只能不断挣扎 因为你失望
that you’re constantly battling because you’re disappointed.
你心想:“该死”
You go, “Oh shit.”
“我以为一旦登上巅峰 眼前就只有万里晴空了”
“I thought once I made it to the top of the mountain, it was all blue skies.”
并非如此
It’s not.
这里空气更稀薄 更危险
The air is thinner. It’s precarious.
到达这里的人并不多 很寂寞
There’s not many people up there. It’s pretty lonely.
有时候 上山可不是…想象中那么容易
So sometimes going to the mountain is not as… all it’s cracked up to be.
我觉得史泰龙 凭借《洛奇》一炮而红时
I think when Stallone became famous with Rocky,
他并没有预料到成名的负面效应
he wasn’t expecting the downside that can happen with celebrity.
这里是好莱坞《迪纳秀!》
From Hollywood, it’s the Dinah! show.
他没想到人们会说
And he wasn’t expecting people to say,
“你必须再来一次 你必须再次证明”
“Now you have to do it again, now you have to prove it again.”
我们邀您参加派对
And you’re invited
与”洛奇“ 西尔维斯特·史泰龙一同享受
along with Rocky himself, Sylvester Stallone.
这是你的第二部电影 世界各地的人
This is your second film and everybody, all the world,
都在期待西尔维斯特·史泰龙的表演
is waiting to see what happens with Sylvester Stallone.
是啊 -他只是昙花一现吗?
Yeah. -Was he, uh, a one-time shot?
就在《洛奇》之后 人们给我塑造了
Right after Rocky, people had built me into something
一种过于高大的形象
perhaps bigger than I should have been built into.
他们马上就开始质疑我的能力
Right away, they were beginning to question my ability.
我看了很多剧本
I was looking at many scripts.
没什么有趣的 然后《拳头大风暴》出现了
Nothing was interesting. Then F.I.S.T. came along.
它着实与《洛奇》截然不同
This would be a true departure from Rocky.
一部讲述美国工人运动的电影
A film that deals with the American labor movement,
立意是关于强大的卡车工会
the conception of a very powerful trucking union.
我认为这是一次精彩的冒险之旅
It’s a fantastic odyssey, I believe.
《洛奇》之后的这番尝试 是他在努力弄清楚
That area in the wake of Rocky is him struggling to figure out
如何在复♥制♥成功的同时 将自己从中异化出来
how to both maybe repeat that and differentiate himself from it.
史泰龙当时是个大明星
Stallone, at that time, was such a huge star.
他想做的第一件事就是改写电影
The first thing he wanted to do was he wanted to rewrite the picture.
我觉得他的一些电影有很多问题
I think a lot of the problems on the sets of some of his films
都与一个事实有关 那就是
have to do with the fact that he has a sense of,
他对电影拍摄的领悟
like, what is working for a movie,
与电影公♥司♥雇用的那些拍电影的人
and is at odds with the people who’ve been hired by the studios
出现了分歧
to make these things.
史莱的一大问题在于
A gigantic issue with Sly,
他不想在电影结局中死去
He didn’t want to die at the end of the movie.
我觉得他这样处理是错的
I think he did something very wrong.
他在结局中让英雄死去
He killed the hero off in the end
让邪恶得逞
and let evil triumph,
这样可不行
which you can’t do that.
这种事可能在现实中经常发生
That may happen in reality a lot,
但当人们花钱来看电影时
but when people go in and pay good money,
他们有时喜欢看到正义得以伸张
they sometimes like to see righteousness pay off.
为宣传《拳头大风暴》 他接受《花♥花♥公♥子♥》的采访
To promote F.I.S.T., he does one of those Playboy interviews.
他自大地声称自己不可能会失败
He pontificates that he doesn’t think it’s possible for him ever to have a flop,
说这种事情不可能发生
that that will actually never happen,
说他根本不可能失败
that it’s not possible for him to have a flop.
《拳头大风暴》多有不足 我仍觉得它可圈可点
Despite its flaws, I found a lot to admire in F.I.S.T.
但很多影评人并不认同
But many critics didn’t agree with me,
而他们的异议 对西尔维斯特个人是一种侮辱
and their disagreement was a personal insult for Sylvester.
他们说《拳头大风暴》是垃圾 这我就往心里去了
When they start calling F.I.S.T. J.U.N.K., I take that personally.
我为那部电影放弃了自己
I gave up the best of myself for that film.
我真的很努力
I really worked hard.
一些人用500词的篇幅 全然抹杀别人的诸多努力
And so for some men, in 500 words, to completely discredit all that effort,
我倒是乐意跟他们约一架 随便他们挑哪条巷子
I would love to make an appointment with them in any alley that they choose.
《洛奇》的成功 和《拳头大风暴》的失利
The success of Rocky and the mistakes of F.I.S.T.
激励西尔维斯特·史泰龙 拍摄他自己的电影
have combined to inspire Sylvester Stallone to make his own movie.
编剧 导演 主演 全部由他亲自上阵
All his own. Writing, directing, and acting.
《陋巷风云》 原本就像《洛奇》的前传
Originally, Paradise Alley was like the father of Rocky.
那是我在1972年写的
I had written that in 1972.
没人想碰它
And no one ever wanted to touch it.
风格太奇怪了
A little too weird.
于是我又写了《洛奇》
So I went out and I wrote Rocky.
后来 我又有了 拍《陋巷风云》的想法
Then the time came when I wanted to do Paradise Alley
讲的又是搏击台上的故事
and it dealt with the ring again.
我以为这回可以拍得 不像《洛奇》那么严肃
I thought, if I can make this not as serious as Rocky,
而是有点像嘉年华…
but really kind of like a carnival…
下雨 色调 人物
The rain and the colors and the characters,
更多地跳出普通的摔跤比赛
a little bit more would transcend your normal wrestling match.
那时候我年轻气盛 想要拍一些
Back then, I was a young guy trying to make something
讨巧且有娱乐性的东西
kind of clever and entertaining.
我并没有深入研究
I didn’t really do my research
并且意识到其实这种电影很小众
and realize it was such a niche kind of film.
它并非主流 有点古怪
This is not broad-based. It’s kind of weird.
1946年的设定 古怪的音乐 这也奇怪 那也奇怪
1946, odd music, odd this, odd that.
我要迎接的注定是一场灾难
That I was setting myself up for a disaster,
而灾难最终发生了
and disaster struck.
他没料到《拳头大风暴》表现不佳
He wasn’t expecting F.I.S.T. to not do well,
他没想到盛赞《洛奇》的影评人
and he wasn’t expecting the critics who championed Rocky
会恶语批评《陋巷风云》
to turn viciously against Paradise Alley.
他的处理得不是很好
He didn’t handle it well.
他会愤然离场 扬言跟影评人干架
He started popping off, challenging critics to fight.
有时候 我早上会醒来 心想:“我能应付得来”
Some days I wake up in the morning and go, “I got this.”
有时候我会觉得:“我招架不住”
And other days I go, “I don’t have it.”
我没感觉 没状态
I don’t feel it. It’s not there.
我这是在瞎眼盲飞