是的 把过程全都简化了
Yeah, you know, it’s simplifying everything.
我其实是去参加表演试镜
I was there for, actually, an acting audition,
当时进行得不太顺利
and things were going not too well.
出去的时候 门刚要关上
And on the way out, the door was just about closing,
我靠在门上 然后说
I lean back in the door and I go,
“顺便说一句 我也写东西” 他说:“真的吗?快回来”
“Oh, by the way, I write a little bit.” And he goes, “Really? Come back in.”
我开始写作
I started writing,
开始创作《穷街陋巷》的衍生作品
and I started doing something derivative of Mean Streets.
我想刻画一个收黑钱的 我想刻画那种暴♥力♥街头场面
I want to do a collector. I want to do that kind of gritty street thing.
我琢磨剧本 狗就坐在写字台上
And I’m knocking it out, dog sitting there on the desk,
我工作 抽烟 猛灌咖啡
and I’m working, I’m smoking cigarettes, and I’m pounding coffee away.
剧本渐渐成形
And it’s coming together.
就是… 能行
It’s just… It’s working.
但是…
But there is…
洛奇有他暴劣的地方
a… a thuggery about Rocky.
当时 我一个朋友帮我打剧本
At the time, my friend, she was typing it,
她打着字哭了起来
she started crying.
她说:“我讨厌洛奇 我讨厌他 他很残忍♥
She goes, “I hate Rocky. I hate him. He’s cruel.”
他对人动粗 把人打个半死”
“He… He hits people. He beats them up.”
我说:“如果是将揍而没揍呢? 也许他差点动手呢?
I said, “What if you stop short of it? Like, maybe he almost did.”
他本可以动手 那是他的工作 但他没这么做 怎么样?”
“He could have, that’s his job, but he doesn’t?”
“那就很好”
“That’d be nice.”
我说:“要是他有女朋友呢?”
I said, “What if he had a girlfriend or something?”
嗯 不错
“Yeah, that’s nice.”
于是 我回去了
So I go back.
开始写这一段 “女朋友 不错”
Start writing that. “Girlfriend. Nice.”
但他此时不是拳手 他只是个男人 没什么像样的故事
But he’s not a fighter now. He’s just a guy. There’s really no story.
他只是边缘人 蹩脚的菜鸡
He’s just a guy, like, on the fringe, a, um… a bum.
他是菜鸡!
He’s a bum!
此时我回想起《码头风云》 他是特里·马洛伊
And now I hearken back to On the Waterfront. He’s Terry Malloy.
斯科塞西的《穷街陋巷》
Bang. Marty, movie, Mean Streets. Whoosh! Boom. Mix it up.
把这些混在一起 然后自己发挥
And then throw your spin on it.
在他成为拳手之后 一切都融汇一身
And then it all came together once he became a fighter.
我身上有106美元 房♥租是300美元
I had $106, the rent was $300.
我面临这样的困境 我能听到门口的狼叫声
I had that kind of dilemma. I could hear the wolf at the door.
我三天就写好了
I wrote it in three days.
当然 之后我又不断重写
Then, of course, I went back and rewrote and rewrote and rewrote it.
写作的时候 我非常坚信
I’m a big believer, when I write,
不去担心剧本的缺点
to not worry about the flawed aspect of it.
也许九♥成♥内容都没什么价值
I know that maybe 90% is worthless,
但构建起开头、中段和结尾
but the idea that you have a beginning, middle, and an end
对我来说很重要
is very important to me.
制♥作♥人说:“我们希望 让瑞安·奥尼尔出演 他喜欢拳击
Producers are going, “We’d like to cast Ryan O’Neal. He likes to box.”
或者伯特·雷诺兹”
“Or Burt Reynolds.”
我说:“不 这是我为自己写的”
I go, “No, I’m writing it for me.”
他们很喜欢剧本 但无论如何都不想让你演
They liked the script, but were so desperate not to have you,
还不停地抬高价码 让你别掺和 对吧?
that they kept offering increasingly large sums of money to go away, didn’t they?
没错 开价达到了26.5万
You’re right. It went up to about $265,000.
条件是不出演这部电影 -没错 别掺和
Not to appear in the film. -Right, to stay away.
我知道 就算我卖♥♥到50万
I knew that if I sold it, even for $500,000,
钱没了之后
I knew that after the money was gone
我还是会为卖♥♥掉它而不甘心
I would become very bitter for having sold out.
怎样才更健康?
What is healthier?
活在幻想里
To live under the illusion
怀揣着兴许会成功的丁点希望
and still have a little glimmer of hope that you could have been great,
还是抓住成功的机遇
or actually have an opportunity to be great
结果希望告吹 你意识到自己是个失败者
and then you blow it, and you realize you’re a failure.
活在幻想中应该更容易 你会说
So I think that the easier route is to live under the illusion and say,
“如果我得到那次机会 我会打败他们所有人”
“You know, if I’d had that chance, I would have beaten all of them.”
费城清冷的街道上
I walked into that trailer for the first time
我第一次进入那辆拖车
under the cold streets of Philadelphia
我就知道 现在就是关键时刻
and I knew this was the moment of truth.
他们问:“西尔维斯特 你准备好了吗?”
And they said, “Sylvester, are you ready?”
我说:“没有 但洛奇准备好了”
I said, “No. But Rocky is.”
当时简直是了不得
What happened was something extraordinary.
我们知道这件事正在发生
We knew this thing was taking place.
所有我想用的演员全都退出了
All the actors I wanted, every one of them fell out,
接替他们的却是最佳人选
and they were replaced with perfect actors.
阿波罗·克里德? 世上只有一个人能胜任
Apollo Creed? There’s only one guy in the world who could do that.
他的声音和身型 那股劲儿 傲慢 全都符合
He had the voice, the size, the thing, the arrogance.
我们本来要用肯·诺顿 但他在开拍的两天前退出
We were gonna use Ken Norton, but he fell out two nights before,
我心想:“乖乖”
and I thought, “Oh, boy.”
我真的相信上天自有安排
I really believe in divine intervention.
塔莉娅·夏尔也是临时人选 因为我们找不到合适的人
Talia Shire was also a last-minute choice because we couldn’t find the right person.
她加入进来 门一开
She comes in, and as soon as that door opened,
哗 眼前亮了
it was like this light. Wham.
我走上前去 她一头蓝黑的头发
And I walked up to her and she had this blue-black hair
双眼这样看着
and these… these eyes looking like this.
我当即觉得:“我喜欢这姑娘”
I went, “I love this girl.”
我喜欢这个角色 有内涵
I love this character, this thing.
There’s something here.
我甚至不用质疑 你不用念台词
I’m not even going to question it. You don’t have to read.
就是你了
You are it.
整个过程下来都是这样
The same thing happened all the way down the line.
《洛奇》讲述的不是搏击故事
Rocky is not a fight story by any means.
它单纯探究一个男人…
It’s a simple character study of a man who…
一个爱情故事
A love story.
…他本应愤世嫉俗
…who should be cynical.
这是个爱情故事 -但他无法这样
It’s a love story. -But he’s incapable of it.
爱情故事 -他拥抱生命
Love story. -He accepts life.
这就是他的人生 -说吧
Simply, that’s his, uh, his lot in life. -Say it.
他最希望的就是不要孤独老去
One thing he wants more than anything else is not to grow old alone.
说吧
Say it.
那个年轻人无法到达爱情之地
That young guy there could not get to the place of love.
他说不出来 -是啊
He could not say it out loud. -No.
嗯 你说得对
Yeah, you’re right.
当时我说不出口
I couldn’t say it back then.
我坐在那里 等着和艾德里安合演一场冰上的戏
I’m sitting there waiting to do a scene with Adrian on the ice.
“你猜怎么着? 他们削减了300个临时演员”
“Guess what? The 300 extras have been cut.”
那我还剩几个?他说:“没了”
How many do I have? He goes, “None.”
我们要拍多久?
And how long do we have to shoot?
“两个钟头吧”
“Maybe two hours.”
我说:“哇”
And I went, “Wow.”
“这样可能更好”
“This could be even better.”
洛奇观察得很仔细 他看得到别人看不到的东西
Rocky really observes, and he sees things that other people don’t see,
努力让她凸显出来
trying to bring her out.
他在探索脆弱性 培育
He was exploring vulnerability, nurturing,
改造
transformation.
我们必须让人物从这里起步
So we have to begin a character here
最终到达彼处
to go there.
你知道我是怎么开始搏击的吗?
You know how I got started in fighting?
不知道 -因为我老爸
No. -My old man.
他并不是什么聪明人
He was never too smart.
他对我说:“你天生没什么脑子
He says to me, “You weren’t born much of a brain,
所以你最好利用你这副身体” 于是我就成为了搏击手
so you better start using your body.” Right? So I become a fighter.
你明白我的意思吗? -明白
You know what I mean? -Yeah.
你笑什么?
Why you… Why you laughing?
我妈妈说了相反的话
My mother, she said the opposite thing.
她怎么说?她说什么相反的话了?
What’d she say? What’d she say, the opposite?
她说:“你生来没什么好身形
She said, “You weren’t born with much of a body,
最好多用用脑子”
so you better develop your brain.”
她这么说吗?
Did she say that?
艾德里安非常出色
Adrian was extraordinary.
他用笔塑造了这位女性
He wrote that woman,
这个被压♥迫♥被抛弃的女性
a woman who was oppressed and discarded.
他会让艾德里安享受自♥由♥和美丽
He would lift Adrian to a moment of freedom and beauty.
以及爱的时刻
And love.
塔莉亚让一部拳击电影 升华为一段爱情故事
What Talia did… is elevate it from a boxing film to a love story.
她的男朋友刚好是拳击手
And her boyfriend happened to be a boxer.
他终于有了奋斗的目标
He finally had something to fight for.
不为钱 而是为了尊严