我一直都崇拜英雄
I always had hero worship.
真希望我可以救下满载孩童的公车
I wish I could be the guy who saved the bus full of children.
那就是我想成为的人 我想成为英雄…
That’s who I want to be. I want to be the guy who
拯救他人
saves people.
我会一个人待在父母的房♥间
I would stay alone in my parents’ room,
他们有一面从伍尔沃斯百货买♥♥的 两三块钱的便宜镜子
and they had a cheap Woolworth’s three-dollar, $2.99 mirror.
我就坐在那里 对着镜子做这做那
I would sit there and do things all day in the mirror,
或者模仿…
whether it be imitation…
对口型假唱
While someone is singing, I’m lip-syncing.
或者去看《大力神》这样的电影
Or go see a movie like Hercules,
回到家 我模仿史蒂夫·里维斯
and I’d come back and try to imitate Steve Reeves.
在《大力士和吕底亚女王》中
The moment in Hercules Unchained, when he steps up,
当他上前把神殿拉垮时
and he pulls the temples down,
真是帅到离谱
and this… ridiculously handsome,
身材健美的完美男性榜样…
well-built, perfect male role model…
就这样
That did it.
我心想:“就是它了 就是这条路”
I go, “There it is. That’s the road.”
因为我终于有了一个崇拜的偶像
‘Cause I finally had a role model that I idolized.
还有我要实现的命运!
And my destiny to fulfill!
我父亲意识到他在纽约无法成功
My father realized he’s not going to make it in New York,
于是他们动身去了马里兰州
so they took off to Maryland.
我们来自婚姻破裂的家庭
We came from broken marriage.
我放学回来 家里没人
I mean, I came home from school and no one was home.
我妈妈跑了
My mother had taken off.
他们闹上法庭 简直糟糕透顶
They went to court. It was terrible.
我跟着妈妈去了费城
I went with my mother in Philadelphia,
我哥哥随父亲留在马里兰
and my brother stayed with my father in Maryland.
完全是乡野之地 十分偏僻
Complete country and crickets, pretty isolated,
那里只有马
and there were only horses.
我是说 从我五六岁时起
I’ve been… For some reason, I had an affinity with horses
我就跟马莫名地投缘
since I was five or six years old.
并不是什么好马 就是我父亲买♥♥的那些
Not good horses, just horses my father would buy.
25美元
Twenty dollars, $25.
他没有多少钱 他搭上了一个马球队
He didn’t have much money, but somehow he got involved with a polo team.
打马球的人都有好马、大车和牧场
And everyone in polo had beautiful horses, great trailers, ranches.
而我们只有破烂
We had a… …a dump.
我家的马多数都有毛病
The horses, most of ’em had medical problems.
有些如果你勒得太快 会把它们弄瞎
Some of ’em, if you pulled up too quickly, they’d go blind.
于是 我开始打马球
So I started playing polo,
但属于那种低级的马球
but sandlot kind of polo, like, low level.
但我学到了东西 总之越打越好
But I learned. Anyway, I started getting better and better and better.
在我13岁时 我开始进入排名
And then when I was 13, I was starting to get ranked.
我本来打算拿到全国排名
I’m gonna get nationally ranked.
但我父亲不太乐意
My father wasn’t liking that so much.
有场比赛 我正打到一半
And in the middle of a game,
我本来是要打左侧反手
I was going for a nearside backhand,
我没有做错任何事
and I didn’t do anything wrong,
他说:“你勒马太用力了!”
he goes, “You’re pulling too hard on the horse!”
我说:“我知道自己在做什么” 他说:“才怪!”
I said, “I know what I’m doing.” He goes, “You don’t!”
他在看台上大叫:“你不了解自己的坐骑”
“You don’t know what you’re riding.” Screaming from the stands.
我终于把马拉住 准备再次掷球
And finally I pulled the horse up to get ready for another throw,
他从看台上出来
and he comes out of the stands,
掐住我的喉咙 把我扔到地上
grabs me by the throat, throws me on the ground,
牵着马离开球场了
takes the horse, and walks off the field.
我躺在那里心想
And I laid there and I went,
“我这辈子再也不想看见马了”
“I never want to see a horse again in my whole life.”
养育我的父亲…
I was raised by a very…
非常爱动粗 你知道吗?我是说…
physical father. You know? I mean…
疼痛对我来说是家常便饭
So I was no stranger to serious pain.
我觉得就这样变成了“我不会崩溃”
And I think it just became, “I’m not gonna break.”
不管他做什么 我都不会崩溃
No matter what he did, you know? I’m just not going to break.
我觉得我父亲很善妒
I think my father was jealous.
我哥哥那时是个问题少年
My brother, he was a problem guy.
他逃学 打架
He was truant. He’d get in fights.
他不是好学生 在哪里念书都被开除
He wasn’t a good student, and he got thrown out of all his schools.
12年间 我念了13所学校
I went to 13 schools in 12 years.
他们让我上军校 我估计连一个月都没待满
They put me in a military school. I don’t think I was there for a month.
好吧 他有点不可救药 他惹了很多麻烦
Well, he was kind of incorrigible. He got in a lot of trouble.
他进了德文鲁克斯学校
He went to Devereux School,
那里大概是收问题少年的学校
which was kind of a school for wayward kids, I guess.
他就是在那里开始对表演动心
And that’s where he kind of started getting the little bug for acting.
然后 他上了大学
And then he went to college.
他就是那时起开始认真对待表演
That’s when he got serious about the acting stuff.
当时有个试镜的机会
There was an opportunity to audition…
我都不知道为什么 但就是去了
I don’t even know why, but I did.
那部剧是《推销员之死》
…for Death of a Salesman.
我拿到角色了
And I got it.
我在舞台上 感觉…
I was on stage and I was feeling…
我一点也不紧张
I wasn’t feeling nervous at all.
我觉得能控制局面 因为一切水到渠成
I felt in control of the situation because this comes naturally,
我驾轻就熟
this comes easily to me.
观众席有位哈佛的教授 走上前来跟我说
There was a Harvard professor in the audience who came up and said,
“你应该考虑以此为业”
“You should think of this as… a career.”
我说:“得了吧” 他说:“是真的
I go, “Come on.” He goes, “Yeah.”
你应该认真钻研这一行 你有特质”
“You should really study this. You have something.”
那个时刻
And that moment
改变了我的人生
changed the course of my life.
我在伍迪斯托克音乐节那天 坐飞机降落在纽约
And I landed in New York the day of Woodstock.
我说:“现在是我闯荡的时候了”
I said, “It’s about time for me to apply myself.”
我甚至不了解自己生活在怎样的城市 我并没有融入其中
I didn’t even know what kind of city I was living in. I wasn’t part of it.
我孤身一人 一门心思想闯出自己的路
Very much alone and very dedicated to trying to find my way.
我在这些街上跑来跑去 我知道在这些街道上如何生存
I’ve hustled on these streets. I know how to survive on these streets.
我睡过大门口 公交站 火车站 图书馆
I’ve slept in doorways and bus stops and train stations and libraries.
冷冻寒天 我体验过
I mean, freezing cold, I get it.
我会去经纪公♥司♥
I would go to agencies.
有一家去一家 说:“我想进入你们旗下”
I go to every one of these places. “I’d like to be a client.”
“我们现在不招人”
“We’re not accepting anything.”
我把照片推进去 他们再推出来
I’d push the picture in, and they’d push it out.
我试演 人家说:“你口齿不清 眼角耷拉”
I tried out and they’d say, “No, you slur.”
“你这不好 那不好”
“Your eyes droop. You’re this, you’re that.”
顶多也就能在离百老汇老远的地方
The best I would get would be off-off Broadway
光着膀子演个角色
where you had to be half-naked.
我只能接到这种烂活儿 糟心得很
That’s the only kind of crap I was getting. It was terrible.
他们说:“行不通的 也许你能当个临时演员”
They said, “It’s just not gonna work. Maybe you’ll be an extra.”
于是我开始相信 心想:“这样啊”
So I started to buy into that, I’d go, “Hmm.”
因为我每次拿到角色
Because every time I was cast,
总不外乎演流氓
it was always for a thug.
看着点 行吗? -抱歉 我没看见你
Watch it, will ya? -Sorry, man, I didn’t see ya!
他们不会给他主要角色
They wouldn’t give him leads.
他或者做舞台工作 或者做道具
Or he’d be doing stage work, or he’d be the prop man,
但他们从未尊重过他
but they never gave him respect.
我太过内耗和封闭
I was so self-consumed and insulated,
而约翰也是一样
and John… he was the same way.
史莱开始写东西 因为他郁郁不得志
Sly started to write because he couldn’t get what he wanted,
于是他自己创造
so he’d create it himself.
而这并非是那种
And it wasn’t anything like,
“你深思熟虑 准备行动” 做就对了!
“You thought about it, and you were gonna do it.” Just do it!
我说这样不行 我不想再演戏了
I said this is no good. I don’t want to act anymore.
也许我能做的就是书写我的沮丧
Maybe what I can do is write all my frustrations
创作剧本
and make screenplays.
我找到一份剧院领座员的工作
I got a job as an usher.
可以一整天看电影
I could watch films all day long.
我会带一个便宜的磁带录音机
And I would take a little inexpensive tape recorder,
录下配乐和对白
record the soundtrack and the dialogue,
回到家尝试替换对白
and go home and try to replace the dialogue.
这就是我开始做的事 一两年间 我不断地写
That’s what I started to do. I wrote and wrote for a couple years
写了十五六个剧本
until I had 15, 16 screenplays.
约翰和我绝对算是另类
John and I, we were definitely on a different wavelength,
我们想写自己的东西 制♥作♥我们自己的作品
wanting to write our own stuff, wanting to produce our own stuff.
每到周五、周六和周日
So every Friday, Saturday and Sunday