当时我意识到这一点
I realized that at that point,
人必须守好本分
it’s important to stay in your own lane,
成为专才
to become a specialist.
就像一位艺术家
Like an artist.
你有那种风格 你是罗斯科
You have that style, you’re a Rothko,
没有人能比罗斯科更罗斯科
and no one can do Rothko better than Rothko.
大家都说:“我们可以当全才 我们可以做任何事”
Everyone goes, “Oh, we can do the full spectrum.”
不 你不行
“We can be anything.” No, you can’t.
你有明显的弱点和强项
You have certain manifest weaknesses and great strengths.
我说 专注于优点
And I said, focus on the strengths.
长成我这样 就别坐在那里钻研莎士比亚
Don’t sit there and try to do Shakespeare when you look like me.
有两个角色他可以重复刻画
He has these two characters he can always go back to,
让他找回自觉丢失的
to get whatever adoration or sense of legitimacy
崇拜和名分
that he feels he’s lost.
饰演洛奇时 饰演兰博时
He can get that back anytime he plays Rocky
他都可以找回这些
and anytime he plays Rambo.
那些角色总会是他的
Those characters are always going to be there for him.
他总能回归重设
And it’s a place he can always go back to to reset.
《洛奇6》这部电影
In a film like Rocky VI,
对我来说是整个职业生涯 最引以为傲的个人成就
which, to me, is my proudest accomplishment in my entire career,
因为距离上一部已经过去了19年
because we’re following Rocky V, it’s 19 years later.
洛奇错过了整整一代人 他们已经长大 不知道他是谁
Rocky has missed an entire generation that’s grown up, have no idea who he is.
这个角色对我和很多人都意义重大
That character had meant so much to myself and so many other people,
就这样让他沉寂 我实在于心不忍♥
and to leave it on that dour note just killed me.
于是我花了大量时间 书写和重写洛奇·巴尔博亚的故事
So I spent endless hours writing, rewriting, writing, writing, writing Rocky Balboa.
制♥作♥人说:“没门的 早就跟你说了 根本不可能”
Producer goes, “Over our dead body. Told you before, it’ll never happen.”
我去摄影棚
Heads of studios.
遭到拒绝 “洛奇完了 你也没戏了”
They rejected, rejected, rejected. “Rocky’s done and you’re done.”
这很残酷 没人想拍
I mean, it was brutal. Nobody wanted to make it.
他们都笑我 你知道吗? 连我妻子都说:“拜托 不要”
They laughed. You know? Even my wife said, “Please don’t.”
但她不明白我的目的
But she didn’t quite understand what I was going for.
我不是要拍拳击电影
I wasn’t doing a boxing movie.
这部电影里 我想说的是 当你所热爱的东西离你而去
I was doing a movie about how to deal with moving on
你该如何向前看
when the things you love the most have left you.
而我用艾德里安的离去作为象征
And I use it symbolically with Adrian being gone,
你心中万分难过
that you had that horrible feeling in your stomach
你的人生如此不完整
that your life has been so incomplete,
你无法走下去 因为缺少…
and you can’t go on without…
你没能实现自以为能实现的目标
You just never achieved what you thought you should’ve achieved.
我没有给予她足够的爱
You never loved her enough.
你从来不尊重别人 从来不知感谢
You never gave people the respect, you never said thank you.
你在地下室说出这番话
You talked about this stuff in the basement,
表达懊悔
which is regret.
我说:“对此我深有同感 这就是电影的主题”
And I go, “Man, I have a lot of that.” And this is what the movie’s about.
他在努力摆脱过去的痛苦
He’s fighting to purge himself of pain,
他说:“我想用新的痛苦 代替旧的痛苦”
of the past.
He says, quote, “I want to replace old pain with new pain.”
意思是说 我想挨打
Meaning, I want to get hit.
也许就可以忘却地下室的那些懊悔
And maybe I’ll forget about the stuff in the basement.
我在跟我儿子聊未来
I was talking to my son what the future was all about.
我以为生活是不可战胜的 你不能打败它
And I thought, life is undefeated. You can’t beat it.
你只能防守
You just have to go on the defense.
受此启发 于是有了 “没有人比生活出手更狠”这句台词
That inspired the line, “No one punches harder than life.”
我有个加词的习惯
I have a habit of… adding words.
我们拍戏
We’re doing the scene,
拍到四分之三 他们问
I would get three-quarters of the way through, and they’d go,
“你干嘛加那个词?之前明明挺好的”
“Why did you add that word? It was okay before.”
这场戏一直保持一致
This is the one take where it was consistent all the way through.
很简单
It’s simple.
传达的信息很明确
The message is as plain as can be.
而且也没有表现得歇斯底里
And it isn’t, like, hysterical.
以前这只手抱你正合适
But you used to fit right here.
我会抱着你 跟你妈妈说
I’d hold you up and say to your mother,
“这孩子会是世界上最好的孩子”
“This kid’s going to be the best kid in the world.”
这孩子会比任何人都优秀
“This kid’s going to be somebody better than anybody ever knew.”
你看得出他是出自爱意 他爱这个孩子
You see that he’s talking from love.
这个世界并非只有阳光和彩虹
He loves this kid.
The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows.
世界是个卑鄙不堪的地方
It’s a very mean and nasty place.
我不在乎你有多坚强
And I don’t care how tough you are,
它会把你打到屈服
it will beat you to your knees
如果你顺从 它会让你永远屈膝在地
and keep you there permanently if you let it.
你也好 我也罢
You, me, or nobody
没有人比生活出手更狠
is going to hit as hard as life.
但关键不是你出手多狠
But it ain’t about how hard you hit.
重点是你能承受多大打击 并且坚持前行
It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
你能容忍♥多大打击 并且坚持前行
How much you can take and keep moving forward.
我总想把《洛奇1》
I’ve always wanted to take Rocky I
和这部电影放在一起
and this one and put it together
展示人生过得有多快
and show how fast life goes by.
40岁前 人生做加法 之后则做减法
Life is addition up until age 40, and after that it’s subtraction.
你的孩子们会自立门户
Your children are moving out,
朋友继续前行 有些丢了饭碗 垂死挣扎
your friends are moving on, some dying, job is gone.
走了 丢了
Gone.
It’s loss.
电影里有句台词…
There’s a line in the movie that…
“我很高兴他来到这个世界 因为我可以通过他的眼睛看世界”
“I’m so glad he’s born because now I can live through your eyes.”
我想这就是父亲对孩子的期待
That, I think, is what fathers look to their children for.
这是一种延续…一种永恒
It’s an extension of… It’s a slice of immortality.
只要他还活着 你的记忆就还活着
As long as he’s alive, your memory will always be alive.
那你就做成了一些事 希望如此
That you did something right. I mean, you hope for that.
你的《洛奇》《兰博》 系列电影大获成功
You have a successful Rocky series and you have a successful Rambo series,
但获得了诸多成就 到了一定时候 会有人说
but after all these successes, at some point people say to you,
“或许你老了 演不了这些角色了”
“Well, maybe you’re too old to play these parts.”
你的经纪人突然说:“也许我们帮不了你了”
And all of a sudden your agent says, “Maybe we can’t help you.”
第四个人生十字路口
That fourth crossroad.
好吧 我是听他们的 还是我有其他感想?
Okay, do I listen to them, or how do you feel?
你觉得自己还有竞争力吗?
Do you feel still competitive?
用洛奇的话说 地下室里有东西吗?
Is there, as Rocky would say, stuff in the basement?
我说:“是的 但要适合年龄”
And I go, “Yeah, but I just have to do it age-appropriate.”
于是我有了《敢死队》的创意
That’s when I came up with The Expendables.
我参加了一场摇滚复兴音乐会
I went to this rock and roll revival.
我跟我妻子说 “老天爷 这些人真厉害”
I’m telling my wife, “God, these guys are so great.”
我妻子看着我 我说:“会好起来的”
And my wife is looking at me. I said, “It’s gonna get better.”
嘭
Boom.
来了一个穿帆布阔腿裤的男人
Out comes this guy, Dockers, baggy-ass canvas-type pants
他坐了太久 裤子后面就像个手风琴
that he’s been sitting on so long, the back looks like a fucking accordion.
天啊 太有才了
Holy shit, this is genius.
门票售罄 台上的诸位都已经…过气
The place is sold out. Everyone on stage is… done.
但数千人来参与
But the fact that thousands of people came
来见这些昔日的巨星
to see this collection of former greats,
我说:“这里肯定有东西
I said, “There’s gotta be something here.”
我们先从与动作明星合作开始”
I said, “Let me start doing that with action guys.”
这变成了一件盛事
And that… made it an event.
不是说《敢死队》里的史泰龙
As opposed to, “Stallone in The Expendable,
是可消耗品!
is the expendable.”
不 他是这支昔日优秀团队的一员
No, he’s part of this once-great group.
“该死 出于这种病态的好奇 我必须要见识见识”
“Shit. Just out of morbid curiosity, I’ve got to see this.”
真是个好主意
What a great concept,
集结了这么多动作明星
to have all these action heroes
1980年代 1990年代 千禧年代 大家齐聚一堂
from the ’80s, the ’90s, 2000s, everyone together, thrown into one pot.
这个岁数的史泰龙
There’s something about Stallone at this age,
接受了他的阅历
accepting his experience,
他长久以来屹立不倒 我不知道他是否应该…
that he’s survived this long.
他应该继续活跃吗?我说不好
I mean, I don’t know if he should… I mean, should he still be alive? I don’t know.
动作明星在片场受伤并非罕见
It’s not uncommon for an action hero to get injured on the set.
但我认为史莱显然想把事情做到极致
But I think it is clear that Sly drove it to the extreme.
我觉得有点过了
I thought it was too much.
我的家人一直在那里
Having the family there the whole time.
他们很辛苦
It was hard on them
因为我压力大 形容狼狈
because I was so stressed and beat up
还有支气管炎、鹅口疮和颈部骨折