You don’t seem like you killed nobody.
我们把东西放在外面就行了
We can just set these bags on the porch.
那好吧
All right, then.
你喜欢玩橄榄球吗
You like to play football?
我一直都玩不好
I never was no account at it,
我从来就没有拿到过球
never got picked out for it.
我和巴特里家的双胞胎
Me and the Barnett twins and some boys…
还有其他男孩 常在中学操场上玩球
play at the junior high school field all the time.
如果你想加入我们就过来
You want to play, come on over
因为我们也都玩得不好
’cause we ain’t no good either.
好的 再见
I’ll see you later.
那好吧
All right, then.
你现在不能进去
Hon, you can’t just go in there.
你到这儿来干什么
What in the world are you doing here?
我想要回来待在这里
I want to come back and stay in here.
你不能这样 你已经自♥由♥了
You can’t. You’re a free man.
他们把你放了 去做你想做的事情
They let you out so you can do as you please.
我知道我不在乎做一个自♥由♥人
I reckon I don’t care about being a free man.
我不知道怎样去做
I don’t know how to go about it.
你要学着做
You’ll have to learn.
需要点时间
It’ll take some time.
你家里没有一个人可以帮你吗
Don’t you have anybody to help you out?
没有 先生
No, sir.
我上次听说 你的爸爸还住在那里
Your daddy was living there last time I heard.
可我猜他是不会帮助你的对吧
I guess he wouldn’t want to help you out any, would he?
很抱歉 我没有考虑到这点
Sorry. I wasn’t thinking.
就没有别人吗
Don’t you have anybody?
没有 先生
No, sir.
那里的人对此知之甚少
Never did know too much of nobody down there.
我在那里没有什么认识的人 根本没有人可以帮助我
Not to be helping me out, no way.
卡尔 事实上
Karl, the truth is…
我并不清楚他们希望你去什么地方
I don’t know where they expect you to go,
做什么事
what they expect you to do.
如果我能够做到 我会如你所愿
If I could, I’d let you come back here
让你回到这里 一直待下去
and stay if you wanted to.
我只是尽量做好我的工作
I’m just doing my job.
你明白吗
You follow me?
听着 卡尔 我认识一个人
Listen, Karl, I know an old boy…
他在米尔斯波格有间修理店
who’s got a fix-it shop deal in Millsburg.
他常跟我一起去教堂
He used to go to church with me.
你对修理小机器和别的东西都很在行
You’re good working on small engines and things.
如果我为你做担♥保♥ 把你推荐给他
If i was to put my neck out for you with him…
如果他肯雇用你 你会去工作吗
do you think you could work it if he’ll hire you?
我知道我对修理东西是很有一手的
I’m pretty handy, I reckon, on lawn mowers and whatnot.
我知道你行 我亲眼见过
I know you are. I’ve seen it myself.
-那你愿意试试了? -我愿意
-Could you give it a try? -I reckon.
不过我不敢保证他一定会雇用你
Now l can’t promise that he’ll hire you.
我必须告诉他你的历史
I’ll have to tell him about your history.
我的历史学得一向不好
I never was no good with history.
不我是指你的过去
No. I mean your past.
你为什么会来这儿
Why you were in here.
我明天就带你去找他
Take you down first thing in the morning.
你今晚有什么地方可以住吗
You don’t have anywhere to stay tonight at all?
没有 先生
No, sir.
可你不能待在这儿 这违反规定
It’s against the rules for you to stay here.
如果出了什么事 那我就要担责任了
If something happened, I’d be liable.
我知道我可以在附近走走直到天亮
I reckon I can walk around till morning time,
或者找个地方看看书
sit and read a book.
卡尔你要喝点茶吗
Karl, would you like a muffin?
不用 谢谢
No, thank you.
我知道明天杰瑞要带你去一个地方
So Jerry’s taking you someplace else tomorrow.
我不认识一个叫杰瑞的人
l don’t know nobody named Jerry.
她说的是我 卡尔 那是我的名字
That’s me, Karl. That’s my first name.
他要带我去米尔斯波格找工作
He’s carrying me to look for work down in Millsburg…
那是我的出生地
where I was born.
那你要喝点咖啡吗
Would you like some coffee?
我喝了咖啡以后会感到紧张
Coffee makes me a mite nervous when I drink it.
爸爸我可以先去睡觉吗
Daddy, can i go to bed?
当然你今晚和妈妈一起睡
Sure. You sleep with your mama tonight.
我和你弟弟睡 卡尔就能住你房♥间了
l’m sleeping with your brother so Karl can have your room.
为什么
Why?
因为他是客人
Because he’s company.
-卡尔 起来了吗 -是的 先生
-Karl, you up? -Yes, sir.
你没睡觉吗 卡尔
Didn’t you sleep?
看样子你好像这样坐了一整夜
You been sitting there like that all night?
是的 先生
Yes, sir.
好吧 我们得上路了
Come on. We’d better hit the road.
那好吧
All right, then.
杰瑞 你好吗
Jerry, how’s it going?
-嘿 比尔 -真高兴见到你
-Hey, Bill. -Good to see you.
-我也高兴见到你 家里都好吗
-Good to see you. How’s everyone doing?
-非常好
-Pretty good.
孩子们快把我整疯了 弗莉丝也把我的皮扒光了
Kids are driving me crazy, and Phyliss is putting me in the poor house…
不过我可不能随便抱怨这些
but I can’t complain otherwise.
对我没有什么好处 你认识史考特对吗
Wouldn’t do any good anyway. You know Scooter?
我想我不认识 你好 史考特
Don’t believe I do. Good to meet you, Scooter.
你好
How about you?
这就是卡尔 我跟你在电♥话♥里提过的人
Well, this is the one I was telling you about on the phone.
就像我说的 如果你觉得不方便
If you get nervous,
我可以理解 我不打算跟你说谎
I’ll understand, but I’m not going to lie to you.
他年轻的时候的确做过一些麻烦事
He got into that trouble, but he was young.
我想起来了
I remember.
是他把那些家伙砍成碎片 他妈妈就是其中一个
He cut them to pieces, and one was his mama.
是的还有狄克逊的儿子
And that Dixon boy.
天哪 我也一直想亲手杀了他 他简直就是个混♥蛋♥
Hell, I always wanted to kill him. He was an asshole.
我记得那家伙
I remember him too.
在学校里总是很嚣张
Kinda retarded or something back in school.
他这些日子已经调整得很好了
Seems like he’s pretty well-adjusted these days.
我想他不会再伤害任何人了
I don’t think he’d ever hurt anybody.
好吧 不过我看不出来
He don’t look much like he would.
你说他能修理小机器 而且很出色?
And he can fix a small engine real good?
他的确很棒 他干得非常出色
He’s a whiz. lt’s all he’s done since he was a kid.
-你害怕他吗 史考特
-You scared of him, Scooter?
-不 也许不
-No, I don’t guess so.
-他会说话吗
-Can he talk?
-当然
-Oh, yeah.
那他可以住在这里吗
You say he can stay out in the back?
可以 我没问题 如果他偷东西
Fine with me. lf he steals anything…
我可要唯你是问
l’ll take it out of your pocket.
他不会偷东西的
He won’t steal.
他其实是个很乖的大男孩 放心吧
He’s a good old boy. Keeps to himself.
我屋子里面有一大堆活给他
I got a room full of work.
我想史考特可干不了那些
Scooter won’t do it.
卡尔 到这儿来
Karl, come over here.
我希望你见见你的新老板
I want you to meet your new boss.
这是比尔考克斯 这里归他管
This is Bill Cox. He runs the place.
他同意你在这里工作 还能住在这儿
Says you can work here, stay out back.
-很高兴认识你 卡尔
-It’s good to know you, Karl.
-谢谢你
-Thank you.
瞧 卡尔 这里工资不高
It’s minimum wage.
条件也不好 只有一张♥军♥用沙发和马桶
There’s nothing back there but an army cot and a toilet.
已经不错了 卡尔 我去把你的书拿来
That’s fine. I’ll go to the car and get your books.
那好吧
All right, then.
卡尔 他说你对剪草机的东西很在行
They say you’re a whiz on fixing lawn mowers and things.
是的 我以前修理过这样的东西
I’ve tinkered around on them a bit.
我们中午常常从附近的快餐店里订餐
We order from the Frosty Cream at lunch, usually.
等你安顿好 我们也可以帮你买♥♥午餐
We’ll buy you lunch till you get on your feet.
我喜欢他们的炸土豆条
I like them french fried potatoes.
是啊 我也喜欢
Yeah. Me too.
他们的双层汉堡做得很棒
They make a good double meat burger.
好了 我要跟你们说再见了