# COULD DO #
你对我
# YOU DO #
做的事
# SOMETHING TO ME #
别人是做不到的
# THAT NOBODY ELSE COULD DO #
过去人们一见到长袜
# IN OLDEN DAYS A GLIMPSE OF STOCKING #
就会感到震惊
# WAS LOOKED ON AS SOMETHING SHOCKING #
但现在上帝知道
# NOW HEAVEN KNOWS #
时过境迁
# ANYTHING GOES #
以前的好作家 都会用优美的词句
# GOOD AUTHORS TOO WHO ONCE KNEW BETTER WORDS #
而如今只会用烂俗的字眼
# NOW ONLY USE FOUR-LETTER WORDS #
写无聊的废话
# WRITING PROSE #
物是人非啊
# ANYTHING GOES #
世界变得疯狂 好人变成坏人
# THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD TODAY AND GOOD’S BAD TODAY #
黑白不分 日夜颠倒
# AND BLACK’S WHITE TODAY AND DAY’S NIGHT TODAY #
女人们喜欢的男人
# WHEN MOST GUYS TODAY THAT WOMEN PRIZE TODAY #
都是愚蠢的小白脸
# ARE JUST SILLY GIGOLOS #
虽然我不是个伟大的浪漫主义者
# SO THOUGH I’M NOT A GREAT ROMANCER #
但在我求婚之日 你必会给我答案
# I KNOW THAT YOU’RE BOUND TO ANSWER WHEN I PROPOSE #
世事难料啊
# ANYTHING GOES #
世界变得疯狂 好人变成坏人
# THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD TODAY AND GOOD’S BAD TODAY #
黑白不分 日夜颠倒
# AND BLACK’S WHITE TODAY AND DAY’S NIGHT TODAY #
女人们喜欢的男人
# WHEN MOST GUYS TODAY THAT WOMEN PRIZE TODAY #
都是愚蠢的小白脸
# ARE JUST SILLY GIGOLOS #
虽然我不是个伟大的浪漫主义者
# SO THOUGH I’M NOT A GREAT ROMANCER #
但在我求婚之日
# I KNOW THAT YOU’RE BOUND TO ANSWER #
你必会给我答案
# WHEN I PROPOSE #
大千世界啊
# ANYTHING GOES #
晚上好 先生
Good evening, sir.
我还以为没人在家呢
I was beginning to think there was no one at home.
是吗 你是谁?
Indeed. And who might you be?
侦探多普勒 先生 威尔特郡警队的
Detective Inspector Doppler, sir, of the Wiltshire County Constabulary.
很抱歉这么晚来拜访你 但我需要和你谈谈
I’m sorry to be calling so late, but I need to have a few words with you
关于一件很重要的事
on a very important matter.
那你进来吧
Better come in.
你是说威尔特郡警队?
Wiltshire County Constabulary, you say?
是的 先生 我一般是在索尔兹伯里工作
That’s right, sir. I’m normally based in Salisbury,
本地的警局要我到这来帮帮他们
but your local man here asked me to pop over and give him a hand.
美好的时光不复返 以前的音乐朗朗上口
Those were the days, sir. Tunes you could hum.
此话不假 巡官 要不要来点小酒?
There’s a time for humming, Inspector. Would you care for an aquavit?
不 谢谢先生 我已经吃过晚餐了 – 或许你喜欢白兰地
No thank you, sir. I’ve had my supper. – Well, perhaps you’d prefer a brandy,
还是你们规定在执行公务的时候不许喝酒?
or are you going to tell me you never drink on duty?
噢 不 先生 我只在执行公务喝酒
No, sir. I always drink on duty.
闲余的时候我负担不起
I can’t afford to on my own time.
鱼子酱
Caviar.
原来长这模样
So that’s what that looks like.
我还一直好奇呢
I’ve often wondered.
这味道我不是很喜欢啊 先生
Can’t say I care for it all that much, sir.
有点像鱼蛋
Tastes like fish eggs.
真有趣
Fancy.
现在 让我们用白兰地冲冲这个味道
Now, let me take that nasty taste away with a splendid brandy.
跟我来 好吗 巡官
Do follow me, won’t you, Inspector?
这些老古董非常有趣 先生
These old antiques are very interesting, sir.
你有很多的玩具啊
You have quite a collection of toys.
都是自动式的 巡官 性能都很好
Autometer, Inspector. And they all work.
性能要不好也没必要留着他们 先生
I wouldn’t have thought there was much point in having them if they didn’t, sir.
现在 言归正传 我能为你做点什么 巡官
And now, as the cliché has it, what can I do for you, Inspector?
我在调查一宗失踪案 失踪的人叫麦洛·廷德
I am investigating the disappearance of a Mr Milo Tindle.
你认识他吗 先生
Do you know him, sir?
有点印象
Vaguely.
他上个星期五下午离开了他的小村舍
He walked out of his cottage late last Friday afternoon
后来一直都没有出现过
and hasn’t been seen since.
说真的 我想我对于理发师的日程
Really, I’m afraid I’m not very much interested
没什么兴趣
in the migratory habits of hair dressers.
那么你认识这个人了 先生?
So you do know the gentleman then, sir?
是的 我知道他的职业
Well, I know his profession.
我想我的妻子跟我提过 他在伦敦有一个店
I think my wife has mentioned he had a shop in London.
你最后一次见廷德先生是什么时候 先生
When did you last see Mr Tindle, sir?
几个月以前 我记得不是很清楚了
Some months ago. I wouldn’t remember, exactly.
我没有必要记住 是不是?
I’d have no reason to, really.
这好像跟我们的信息有点不符
That doesn’t quite accord with our information.
我想请你帮我在这白兰地里加点水 先生
I wonder if you could put some water in this brandy for me please, sir?
事实上 两天之前
In fact, two nights ago,
他告诉过白狮持证售酒人杰克·本恩
he told Jack Benn, the licensee of the White Lion,
要到这来见你
he was on his way up to see you.
酒吧里的人出了名的信口雌黄 巡官
Barmen are notorious opponents of exactitude, Inspector.
葡萄酒和闲话就是他们的交易资本
Vinous gossip is their stock in trade.
葡萄酒也是酒 先生
Vinous, as pertaining to wine, I assume, sir.
说的对
Very good.
跟您说些事儿
And I was wondering if there was something else
说的不对的话麻烦您纠正我 – 什么
you could correct for me, sir. – What is that?
我记下的一个路人的口供
The impression, gained by a man,
他在周五傍晚曾路过您的庄园
who happened to be passing your house on Friday night.
他听到了几声枪响 – 枪响?
That shots were fired in here. – Shots?
我们认为是三声
Three, our man thinks.
汽车的逆火声吧 – 不 先生
A car backfiring? – Oh, no, sir.
我想这种情况只发生于…
I’m afraid that sort of occurrence only comes in,
恕我冒昧 侦探小说当中
saving your presence, sir, detective stories.
不 绝对是枪声 我们很肯定
No, these were shots from a gun. Our man is positive.
我知道了
I see.
我能不能问你一句 你为什么两天后
May I ask why you’ve taken two days to come round and ask me
才来问我这些问题? – 噢 先生 这些事情
about all this? – Well, sir, these things
一般都需要比你想象的更长的时间来证实
always take a little longer to check out than you think.
你们这里的警♥察♥要我再三检查自己的证据
Your local man wanted to be sure of his facts before calling me in
再来打扰像您这样的绅士
and before troubling a gentleman like yourself.
证据 什么证据 – 噢 我们的线人
Facts? What facts? – Well, after our informant
向我报道了这件事 我们认为最好
had reported the incident, we thought we’d better
和廷德先生先谈谈
have a word with Mr Tindle
看看他能不能提供一点线索
to see if he could throw any light on the subject.
提供什么 关掉那个东西的办法是把按钮按进去 巡官
And could he? The way to turn that off is to press that stop in, Inspector.
噢 对不起 – 谢谢
Oh, I’m sorry. – Thank you.
星期六他不在村舍 今天也不在
He wasn’t at his cottage, all day Saturday, nor all day today.
我们去那里问了好多回了
We must’ve called there at least half a dozen times.
噢 上帝 麦瑞德会为你感到自豪的
By Jove, sir. Merridew would’ve been proud of you.
啊 你的侦探人物 先生
Your detective, sir.
那真是过奖了 先生 我很崇拜他
That’s praise, indeed, sir. I’m a great fan of his lordship.
真的吗
Are you really?
你得告诉我你最喜欢哪篇
Well, you must tell me which is your favourite.
就我而言 我最喜欢
I, myself, have always had a special affection
《被钉上十字架的女爵》
for The Case of the Crucified Countess.
当我们到达廷德的村舍
When we stepped inside Mr Tindle’s cottage
确认他是否没事的时候
to make sure that no harm had come to him,
我们找到了这个 先生
we found this, sir.
我们得马上谈谈
“Urgent we talk.
务必请在星期五晚上 大约六点半光临寒舍
“Come on Friday evening, about 6:30.
怀克
“Wyke.”
我能否问一下 这是你的笔迹吗 先生
May I ask, is this your handwriting, sir?
是的 是我的 – 那么廷德先生确实来过这儿
Yes, it’s mine, all right. – So Mr Tindle was here then, sir.
是的 – 是不是在两天前
He was. – And was there an incident
这里发生了枪击?
two nights ago, as a result of which shots were fired?
噢 老实说 那是我们玩的一个游戏
In a manner of speaking. It was a game we were playing.
游戏? 先生 什么游戏?
A game, sir? What kind of game?
叫做入室盗窃 – 入室盗窃可不是游戏 先生
It’s called “burglary”. – Burglary is not a game, sir.
你是不是该告诉我
Isn’t it about time you told me,
我还不知道自己的处境有多么严峻了?
I don’t know the seriousness of my position?
一个人到了你这里 有人听到了枪声 这个人又失踪了
A man comes here. Shots are heard. He has disappeared.
如果你是我的话你会怎么想
Now, what would you make out of that, if you were me, sir?
这案子一目了然
An open and shut case,
但事实没有你想象的那么简单 巡官
but things are not always what they seem, Inspector.
在《巨型假人疑案》中
Why, in The Mystery of the Grand Dummy,
你最爱的麦瑞德先生… – 我在等你的解释 先生
your favourite, Lord Merridew… – I am waiting for an explanation, sir.
噢 好吧 廷德大约六点半时到的 然后在大约一个半小时后就走了