长袜上有时钟
Stockings had clocks.
clock 亦指长袜脚踝部分的花纹
在过去的日子里…
In olden days…
一眼就可以瞥见
Glimpse…
看到了吗
Now you see it,
还是没有
now you don’t.
不用多久就能查出来的 警长
It wouldn’t take long to dig up, Sergeant.
不如我去问问他
Why don’t I have a go at it?
噢 当然
Well, surely…
让我去告诉他你来了
Just let me tell him you’re here.
安德鲁
Andrew.
我可不可以给你介绍一下
Is it all right if I introduce.
塔兰特侦探长和治安官?
Detective Sergeant Tarrant and Constable Higgs?
噢 当然 请进 先生
Yes, of course. Come in, gentlemen.
进来吧
Come in, do have…
或者我是不是给你介绍
Or should I say, Inspector Plodder
多普勒巡官和”新面孔”警官
and Constable Freshface.
谢谢你 长官 我们不需要了
Thank you, Sergeant. We won’t be needing you after all.
好吧 先生
That’s all right, sir.
俗话说安全第一嘛 先生
Better to be safe than sorry, that’s what I always say, sir.
晚安 警长 – 晚安 先生
Good night, Sergeant. – Good night, sir.
晚安 警官
Good night, Constable.
晚安 先生
Good night, sir.
首先我想你肯定想知道 关于泰娅的事
First, I suppose you’ll want to know about Tea.
我在布置多普勒的场面的时候
She did call yesterday
她确实是来了
while I was setting up the Doppler scene,
我将你用枪玩弄我的恶作剧告诉他了
and I told her about the trick that you played on me with the gun,
她一点都不惊讶
and she wasn’t a bit surprised.
她很了解你喜欢哪种游戏
She knows only too well the kind of games you like to play,
这种让别人蒙羞的事
the kind of humiliation you enjoy inflicting on other people.
我给她解释说 我想和你玩一个游戏来和你扯平
I explained to her that I wanted to play a game and get even with you,
我问她要了一只袜子 一只鞋子 一个假睫毛
and I asked her to lend me a stocking, a shoe, a false eyelash
还有你给她买♥♥的那个手镯
and that bracelet that you’d bought her.
她很高兴帮我
And she was happy to help,
还有她的室友乔伊斯
and so was her flatmate, Joyce.
要不要给泰娅打一个的电♥话♥?
Would you like to phone Tea?
她会跟你说清楚的
She’ll talk to you now.
但现在你没有什么话要跟她说 是不是
But then, you wouldn’t have very much to say to her, would you?
她并不是你的情人 对不对
She’s not really your mistress, is she?
她告诉我 你们两个有一年多没有做那种事了
She told me that you and her haven’t made it together for over a year.
她还告诉我 你其实是性无能
She also told me that you are practically impotent.
根本就算不上性♥爱♥小能手
Not at all, in fact, the selector’s choice for the next Olympics.
我警告过你 安德鲁
I warned you, Andrew.
我玩游戏不只是为了找乐子
I don’t play games for the sport!
特别是玩蒙羞的游戏
Particularly not games of humiliation.
我受的已经够多了
I know too much about that.
你要去哪儿
Where are you going?
我去取玛格丽特的皮大衣
I’m going to get Marguerite’s fur coat.
她不回来了么? – 不回来了
She’s not coming back? – No.
我要像我希望的那样
I live
活着
as I want to live.
对了 我在想你对我讲的那个作家
You know, I’ve been thinking of that writer you told me about.
我认为 你的侦探小说只不过是
And it is my opinion that your detective stories
势利眼 老顽固
are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated,
愤世嫉俗和卑鄙之人的娱乐消遣
life-hating, ignoble minds.
我现在去拿皮大衣
I’ll get that fur coat now.
你瞧
You see.
事情是这样的
You see.
巡官
Inspector,
我正在我的书房♥里工作
I was working in my study
然后我听到了这里的响声
when I heard a noise in here,
因此我拿出了我的左轮手♥枪♥
so I took my revolver,
我来到了这里
and I came in here
看看发生了什么事
to investigate.
结果这个年轻人
Here was this young man
从楼上走下来
running down the stairs
手上拿着我妻子的外套
with my wife’s fur coat over his arm.
我喝令他停下来
I shouted for him to stop,
但他一点都不理会
but he wouldn’t pay any attention,
只顾朝门边走去
but ran on towards the door
想逃出去
hoping to make his escape.
就这样 我开枪了
Naturally, I fired.
我没有尝试瞄准他
I aimed low.
相信我 巡官 我真的没有
Believe me, Inspector, I did.
可是令人震惊的事发生了
The most appalling thing happened.
我打死了他
I shot him dead.
没事的 先生
That’s all right, sir.
不要太过于悲伤了
Don’t distress yourself unduly.
这种事可能发生在任何人身上
A thing like that could happen to anyone.
我现在不能让你走了
I can’t let you go now.
你是什么意思
What do you mean?
不能让你出去
Going about
把这件事说给其他人听
telling everyone.
这是不可能的
It’s just not possible.
我去告诉谁呢
Who… Whom would I tell?
谁会感兴趣
Who’d be interested?
一个人都算多 包括玛格丽特
One person would be too many, even Marguerite.
尤其是玛格丽特
Especially Marguerite.
你想要怎么做 安德鲁?
What are you going to do then, Andrew?
打死我?
Shoot me down?
又玩那个行窃的游戏? – 对
Play that old burglar game again? – That’s right.
没用了 – 没用?
It wouldn’t work now. – No?
我想知道为什么没用了
Why not I wonder.
因为上个星期五我回去的时候真正发生了一些事
Because of what really happened after I left here last Friday night.
真正发生了什么事?
What really happened?
我确实夹着尾巴逃回了家
I did lurch home
晕头转向 灰头土脸 还倍受侮辱
dazed, dirty and humiliated.
我彻夜未眠
And I sat up all night.
第二天早上
And in the morning,
我就到了警♥察♥局
I went to the police station
将你对我做的一切都告诉他们了
and I told them what you’d done to me.
其中有一个叫做塔兰特长官的侦探
And one of them, Detective Sergeant Tarrant,
是的 这人真的存在
yes, he’s real.
他把我带到一个小房♥里 和我谈了很久
He took me into a little room, and we had a long chat,
但我觉得他不是很在意
but I don’t think he paid very much attention
我说的这一切
to anything I said.
因此我自己觉得
So I thought to myself,
他不会为此采取什么行动
“He’s not gonna do anything about this.”
不采取行动? 为什么
No? Why not?
你应该和我一样的知道这个答案
You know the answer to that just as well as I do.
在他的眼里 我只是一个小饭桶
In his eyes, I’m just some common little git
诱骗了一个贵族的妻子
who’s been screwing the wife of a local noble
这都是他罪有应得
and got what he deserved.
或许警♥察♥不会按我要求的那样来这里
So perhaps the police won’t come by as I said they would,
但即使他们不来
but even if they don’t,
他们也绝对不会相信你的入室行窃故事 绝对不会
they’d never believe that burglar story of yours. Not now.
所以 你输了
So, you see, you’ve lost.
你别想愚弄我了 麦洛
You can’t fool me any more, Milo.
你说的话我一个字都不相信
I haven’t believed a single word you’ve been saying.
这是真的
It’s the truth.
骗子
Liar.
如果不相信的话 给塔兰特长官打个电♥话♥试试
Phone Sergeant Tarrant if you don’t believe me.
你到此宣布你要拐走我妻子的意图
You come here and announce your intention to steal away my wife.
你污蔑我的男子气概
You pry into my manhood,
你藐视我的一切
you lecture me on ignoble minds
你嘲笑我一生的创造
and you mock the creation of my life,
嘲笑我的约翰·麦瑞德
St John Lord Merridew.
好了 这次里面装的是真子弹
Well, they’re all real bullets this time.
游戏结束了 安德鲁
The game’s over, Andrew.
我要回家了
I’m going home now.
麦洛 你明白吗