劳伦斯·奥利弗
迈克尔·凯恩
足 迹
根据安东尼·沙弗尼剧本改编
当然 这同样 似乎没有合理的解释
“Here, of course, it is the same, apparently, without rational explanation.
但事实上 如果从逻辑上考虑就相当简单
“But it’s quite easy, when you come to think of it logically, in fact.
格雷森医生在这场谋杀发生时人根本不在伦敦
“Doctor Grayson was never in London at the time of the murder.
事实上 这位品德兼优的好医生
“In fact, the good doctor stayed at a small hotel in Melksham
当晚住在梅尔克舍姆的一个小旅馆里
“on the night in question
两点四十分他搭乘火车返回吉福德布劳顿吉福德
“and then returned to Broughton Gifford on the 2:40 train,
在车上假扮成莫蒂默爵士的随身侍从伯顿
“disguised as Sir Mortimer Turret’s valet, Burton,
确保检票员留意到他的到来
“making sure his arrival was noted by the ticket inspector.
然后 他的计划就很简单了
“From then on, his plan was simplicity itself.
知道伯顿今天不上班
“Knowing it was Burton’s day off,
他毫无阻碍的溜进了哈瑞特宅邸
“he had no difficulty in entering Hellrate Hall unobserved
从一个星盘上取下指针杀死了莫蒂默先生
“and murdering Sir Mortimer with the arrow from the astrolabe,
这是他事先用洗涤室窗边的磨刀石
“which he had previously sharpened on the stone-knife grinder
打磨锋利的
“by the scullery window.
还记得我对黄铜小刀提出的询问吗
“Remember my query about brass knives, at the time?
我说过那种金属刀片会有危险
“I was worried about those metal shavings. ”
天啊 麦瑞德先生 什么也逃不过您的法眼
“By Jove, Lord Merridew, sir. You don’t miss a trick,
那先生既然您如此明察秋毫 巡官谦恭地继续说道
“but since you appear to know so much, sir,” continued the Inspector, humbly,
我想知道您能否解释凶手
“I wonder if you could explain just how the murderer managed
是如何把受害者的尸体扔在那么大的一个网球场的正中♥央♥
“to leave the body of his victim in the middle of the tennis court
还不给警♥察♥留下任何线索 并且溜之大吉的呢?
“and effect his escape without leaving any tracks behind him in the red dust.
老实说 先生 警局里的伙计们对此真是毫无头绪
“Frankly, sir, we in the police force are just plain baffled. ”
麦瑞德先生 这个伟大的侦探 庄严的站了起来
St John Lord Merridew, the great detective, rose majestically,
他那圣诞老人般的宽大脸庞上泛起孩子气的光芒
his huge Father Christmas face glowing with mischievous delight.
他轻轻地刷下长背心
Slowly he brushed the crumbs of seedy cake
褶皱里的蛋糕屑
from the folds of his pendulous waistcoat.
警♥察♥可能想不通 巡官 他沉重有力的说
“The police may be baffled, Inspector,” he boomed,
但麦瑞德不会
“but Merridew is not.”
30年前 凶手格雷森医生
“Thirty years ago, the murderer, Doctor Grayson,
是卢塞芭蕾舞团的一位著名芭蕾舞演员
“was a prominent member of the Ballet Russe,
艺名是欧莱葛·格瑞森斯基
“dancing under the name of Oleg Graysinski.
这么多年来他的面貌可能有点改变
“Though the years had altered his appearance somewhat,
但他的这项绝活不会就此消失
“yet his old skill had not deserted him.
他背着尸体走到网球场正中♥央♥
“He carried the body to the centre of the court,
踮着脚尖
“walking on his points
踩着分隔发球区的白线行走
“along the white tape which separated the service boxes
在那里 他把尸体扔到七尺开外
“and from there he threw it seven feet into the court,
也就是靠近底线 尸体被发现的地方
“close to the base line, where it was found,
然后 一个巧妙的单足尖转身
“and then, with a neatly executed fouetté,
他又回到了他原来的起点
“he faced about and went back the way he had come,
因此就没有留下线索
“thus leaving no traces.
这 巡官 就是麦瑞德的解说
“And that, Inspector, is Merridew’s solution.”
有人吗
Hello?
你在吗
Are you there?
怀克先生
Mr Wyke?
怀克先生
Mr Wyke?
是谁 – 是我 麦洛·廷德
Who’s there? – It’s me, Milo Tindle.
你应该是在等我
I think you’re expecting me.
是的 你来的正好 不打算加入我吗
Yes indeed, so good of you to come. Won’t you join me?
这个 我已经尝试了很久了
Well, I have been trying to do exactly that for quite some time.
过来
Here we are.
我的户外小天地 都是我自己设计的
Yes, my outdoor inner sanctum. I designed it myself.
正好给我提供一些作家所需的隐私
Provides for me just that extra bit of privacy that an author requires.
我得说 你可真是个不容易接近的人物
I must say you’re not an easy man to drop in on.
过奖了 你叫麦洛·廷德 我是安德鲁·怀克
Just so. So, you’re Milo Tindle. I’m Andrew Wyke.
欢迎来到克劳克庄园 – 谢谢
Welcome to Cloak Manor. – Thank you.
我今天下午从伦敦赶回来的时候才看到你的留言
I found your note when I came down from London this afternoon.
噢 很好 是的 我希望你这个周末能来
Oh, good, yes. I hoped you’d be here this weekend,
所以就早一点把信放在你的邮箱里了
so I pushed it through your letter box a little earlier today.
好了 要喝点什么
Well, now, what will you have to drink?
伏特加兑奎宁水就行了 – 好的
Vodka and tonic, please. – Of course.
你在劳德小村舍过的还好吗
How are you settling in here at Laundry Cottage?
很好 谢谢
Very well, thank you.
用来度周末 等等那方面的事?
Using it for weekends and that sort of thing?
是的 那方面的事
Yes, that sort of thing.
伏特加 好像没有了 只有…
Vodka, I don’t seem to have any out here. Is…
杜松子酒也行 – 很好
Gin will do. – Good.
劳德小村舍是个颇有魅力的小地方
Yes, a charming little place, Laundry Cottage.
放松心情的理想去处
Ideal for relaxations of all kinds.
不幸的是 我没有很多时间去那里
Unfortunately, I don’t have time for them myself.
事实上
As a matter of fact,
我现在在口述记录我的新作《双重死因》
I’ve just dictated the dénouement of my new book,
最后解答的部分
Death by Double-Fault.
但我得说 一切进行的还好
I must say it’s gone extremely well.
苏打 苏打 苏打…
Now then, soda, soda, soda…
噢 上帝
Dear.
好像奎宁水也没有 真倒霉
I don’t seem to have any tonic here either, it’s awful.
我们进去好吗 – 随便
Here, shall we go indoors? – Whatever you like.
好极了
Good.
告诉我 你认为侦探小说
Tell me, do you agree that the detective story
是不是一种贵族的娱乐消遣?
is the normal recreation of noble minds?
恐怕我对贵族了解甚少
I’m afraid I don’t know very much about noble minds.
你觉得呢
Is it supposed to be?
我这是引用30年代的一个传记作家菲利普·古大利的话
I’m quoting from Philip Guedalla, a biographer of the ’30s.
那是每一个议员枕边都有一本惊险小说
The golden age when every cabinet minister
每一个侦探都封官加爵的黄金时代
had a thriller by his bedside and all detectives were titled.
你肯定没经历过那个时代 – 可能吧 让我来拿
Before your time, I expect. – Somewhat. Let me carry that.
噢 太感谢了 你真客气
Thank you so much. Very good of you.
是的 你要知道 即便是我最近创作的小说 主要讲的还是贵族的故事
Yet, you know, even today, I still set my works among the gentry
尽管当今社会贵族不复存在
and a great many ordinary people seem to enjoy them
但有很多普通民众依然对它们爱不释手
in spite of our classless society.
我想这给电视剧提供了很多素材
I imagine they do a great deal of your stuff on television.
噢 上帝 我绝不允许 我的作品可不是什么素材
God forbid, I’d never permit it. And, incidentally, it’s not “stuff”.
不 电视不属于我创作的范围
No, television is not my line of country at all.
那都是现实的侦探而不是侦探小说
That’s detective fact, not detective fiction.
因此 也就不是贵族的娱乐消遣了?
And therefore, no recreation for noble minds?
你真是心直口快 亲爱的麦洛 我能这样称呼你吗
You have it in a nutshell, my dear Milo, if I may so address you.
有何不可呢 我们都活在直呼大名的年代里 安德鲁
You might as well, we’re all on first name terms these days, Andrew.
当然 我们确实需要友好一点 不是吗
Of course we are, and you and I do need to be friendly, do we not?
你希望怎么一个喝法 加冰吗
How would you like your drink? With ice?
加冰吗
With ice?
噢 是的
Yes, please.
他是个什么玩意儿
What does he do?
那是快活杰克拓 一个快活的水手
That’s Jolly Jack Tar, the Jovial Sailor.
我们之间关系很好
He and I have a really splendid relationship.
我每说一个笑话 他就会笑
I make the jokes and he laughs at them.
现在 小子 把那个 放在你的领带后面
Here, mein freund, put that behind your necktie.
他没有笑 – 我没让他笑
He didn’t laugh. – No, he wasn’t meant to.
我以为你在说笑话呢 – 我没有 要是讲笑话你也听的出来
I thought you were trying to be funny. – No, you’ll know it when I am.
我知道了
I see.
干杯 – 干杯
Cheers. – Prost.
这是什么 – 那是非常复杂的
What’s this? – That is an intensely complicated
第四王朝的一个叫做色立特的游戏
4th Dynasty blocking game, called Simera.
我研究这个有几个月了 但是依然勉强算个初学者
I’ve been studying the thing for months, but I’m still only a beginner.
你不介意把棋子放回去吧
I wonder if you’d mind putting that back.
走到这一步我都花了好久的时间了
It’s taken me rather a long time to get it there.
中间的圆柱 从你右边数第四个格子
That’s the centre column, fourth from your right.
哦 好了 我知道你想要娶我老婆为妻
Well, now, I understand you want to marry my wife.
原谅我提起这件事
Forgive me raising the matter,
但鉴于玛格丽特这几天去北方 走走亲戚
but as Marguerite is away for a few days in the North, visiting relatives,
我想这也许是一个很适合的时机
I thought this might be an appropriate moment for you and me
让你我两人好好谈谈
to have a little chat.
明白了
I see.
这件事 是真的吗
Well, is it true?
是的 当然得经过你的同意 – 为什么不呢
Yes, with your permission, of course. – Why not?
老实说 你这小伙子看起来相当不错
You seem to be a personable enough young man, nicely spoken,
穿着整齐精致的乡下绅士服装
neatly dressed in brand new country gentlemen’s clothing.
我相信你不会介意我问你关于你背景的几个问题
I’m sure you won’t mind me asking you a few questions