And yet, no blistering, no scorched flesh.
然而伤口没起泡或变焦
The Devil’s fire.
魔鬼之火
“Be vigilant”, as it sayeth in the Book of Peter, chapter five, verse eight.
正如彼得五书八节所说 “你得当心”
“Because your adversary, the Devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, –
“因为你的敌人魔鬼 就如一头咆哮的狮子”
seeking whom he may devour.” God rest, Jonathan Masbath.
“在寻找猎物” 愿乔纳森·马斯安息
Mr Constable, sir. You’re young Masbath.
警官先生 你是小马斯
I was young Masbath, but now the only one.
不再是了 现在只有我这个马斯
Masbath at your service. In honour, bound to avenge my father.
马斯愿为你效劳 我要为父报仇
Well, I thank you very much, but your mother will need you more than I.
谢谢你 不过现在更需要你的是你娘
My mother is in heaven. She has my father now to care for her.
我娘已魂归天国 现在有我爹照顾她
But you have no one to serve you. I am your man, sir.
不过你需要人帮忙 我正是理想人选
And a brave one, too. But I cannot be the one to look after you.
而且很勇敢 可是我不能够照顾你
I am sorry for your loss, young Mr Masbath.
小马斯 节哀顺变
Constable Crane! There’s something you should know.
克莱恩警官! 你该知道一件事
Jonathan Masbath was not the fourth victim, but the fifth.
乔纳森·马斯是第五个死者 不是第四个
The fifth? Aye. Five victims in four graves.
第五个? 对 四个墓五条尸
Masbath, find a place in Van Tassel’s servants’ quarters. Wake me at dawn.
马斯 你到范塔索的佣人房♥住 黎明时来叫醒我
I hope you have a strong stomach.
我希望你的胆子够大
Peter Van Garrett, Dirk Van Garrett.
彼得范加勒 德克范加勒
Jonathan Masbath. Five victims, four graves.
乔纳森·马斯 五条尸四个墓
The Widow Winship.
寡妇温希普
Bring the widow in.
抬寡妇的尸体进去
This is most irregular, Constable. Yes, but in this case necessary.
这个做法有异于常规 对 但是本案有此需要
I need to operate immediately. Operate? She’s dead.
我要马上替她做手术 做手术? 她已经死掉
I mean, of course, I will need the operating table.
我是说我需要用这张手术台
Once more, the neck wound cauterised…
再说一次 脖子上的伤口被烧过
…the sword thrust to the stomach the same, but to what purpose?
肚子也中了一刀 但是原因何在?
To what is your purpose, is the question.
你这样问究竟有何原因?
What type of instruments are these? Some of my own design.
这些是什么仪器 我自己的发明
Step out, young Masbath.
小马斯 你先出去
Thank you for your help, Mr Killian. And if you don’t mind, Doctor, –
麻烦你了 基利安先生 医生 可否回避一下?
my concentration suffers greatly when I’m observed.
给人家盯着 我难以集中精神
I am finished. What have you done to her?
验完了 你对她做过什么?
We are dealing with a madman. What did you find out?
我们面对的是一个魔头 你有何发现?
The Widow Winship was with child.
寡妇温希普本已有身孕
Who’s there?
是谁?
Oh, pardon my intrusion. There’s no intrusion.
抱歉打扰了你 没这回事
I come here to read when I’m wakeful.
我睡不着时就来这儿看书
To read books which you must hide. They were my mother’s books.
看要藏起来的禁书 是家母的书才对
My father believes tales of romance caused the brain fever that killed her.
家父相信是爱情小说令她患脑炎而死
The nurse who cared for her during her sickness is now Lady Van Tassel.
照料她的护士 如今成为范塔索夫人
Why did no one mention that the Van Garretts are kin to the Van Tassels?
为何没人提及范加勒跟范塔索有亲属关系?
Hardly a household is not connected to every other by blood or marriage.
这儿的人没哪个无亲属关系
I see.
原来如此
This was Van Garrett land, given to my father when I wore swaddling clothes.
我还是小婴儿之时 范加勒把这片地给了家父
They were the richest family around. When my father brought me here…
他们是这区的首富 当家父带我来这时…
…Van Garrett set him up with an acre and a broken-down cottage.
范加勒给了他一英亩地 和一间烂茅屋
My father worked hard and prospered. I owe Van Garrett my happiness.
家父努力工作 白手兴家 范加勒一家对我有恩
I remember living poor in the cottage.
我记得住在茅屋时的穷困生活
Should I show you? Yes.
想看看那本书吗? 好的
Take this. It is my gift for you. No, I have no use for it.
就当是我给你的礼物 不 这本书对我毫无用处
Are you so certain of everything?
你对所有事情都是如此确定?
It was your mother’s. It is sure protection against harm.
可这是你母亲的书 它可以作你的护身符
Are you so certain of everything?
你对所有事情都是如此确定?
What are these strange markings?
这些是什么印记?
I’ve had them since I can remember.
我从小就有这些印记
I used to play by this hearth as a child.
年幼时我常在这炉床旁边玩
It was my first drawing school. My mother was my teacher.
我在这儿学画画 家母是我的老师
Look. See? Carved into the fireback.
看见吗? 画就刻在后面
The archer. I’d forgotten it.
弓箭手 我早已把这个忘掉
This was from long before we lived here.
我们住在这之前 这一切早已存在
Are you all right? Yes, thank you.
你没事吧? 没事 谢谢
A cardinal. I’d love to have a tame one, but I wouldn’t have the heart to cage it.
红衣凤头鸟 能养一只就好了 不过我不忍♥心把它关在笼里
Well, then I have something for you.
我给你看点东西
Cardinal on one side, an empty cage. And now…
一面有红衣凤头鸟 一面有空的鸟笼 然后…
You can do magic. Teach me. It is no magic. We call it “optics”.
你懂得变魔术 教我吧 不 这是一种视觉效果
The pictures are joined in the spinning. Truth is not always appearance.
是图画转动时产生的效果 眼所见的一定是真的
What are you running from, Philipse? You had a mind to help me.
菲利斯 你在逃避什么? 你是想帮我的
Yes, and it’s put me in dread of powers against which there is no defence.
对 而且令我自己身处险境
You knew the widow was expecting? She told me.
你早知道那寡妇有身孕? 是她告诉我的
And you are not the child’s father? Did she tell you the father’s name?
你不是那孩子的爸爸吧? 她有说谁是父亲吗?
Yes. She came to me for advice as town magistrate…
有 她来找我这个治安官给意见
…to protect the rights of her child. I was bound to keep the secret.
看如何能保障孩子的权益 我该保守秘密
Do you believe the father killed her? The Horseman killed her.
是那个父亲把她杀掉? 是无头骑士杀的
There is no Horseman. There never was. There never will be.
根本就没有无头骑士 以后也不会有
What is that thing? My protection from the Horseman.
这是什么? 保护我免遭无头骑士侵害
A magistrate, full of such nonsense! Now tell me the name of…
你这个治安官真是的! 现在快说…
Oh, my God!
我的天!
Constable Crane?
克莱恩警官?
Has he not come out at all?
他还没肯出来?
It was a headless horseman! You must not excite yourself.
是一个无头骑士! 你冷静一点
That’s why you’re here. A horseman, a dead one, headless!
这是你来这的原因 一个已死掉的无头骑士!
I know. You don’t. You weren’t there. It’s true!
我知道 不 你不在场 这是真的!
Of course it is. I told you. Everyone told you.
当然了 大家都这么跟你说过
I saw him.
我看见他
I suppose it’s back to the city, then.
看来要把此案交回市法♥院♥处理
This time I’ll go to New York myself. I won’t be fobbed off with an amateur.
这回我会亲自去纽约 不再让他们派一个新人来
This time, a magistrate’s dead. Gentlemen…
连治安官都给杀了 各位…
I need able men to go with me into the western woods.
我需要有能之士 跟我到西部丛林去
We thought you’d shot your bolt. I will find the Horseman’s grave.
你已经竭尽所能了 我会找到无头骑士的墓
I will pit myself against a murdering ghost.
我会奋力对抗这个杀人狂魔
Who’s with me?
谁跟我去?
Me.

The Van Garretts, Widow Winship, your father, and now Philipse.
范加勒父子 寡妇温希普 你父亲 然后是菲利斯
Something must connect them. Did your father deal with the Van Garretts?
当中一定有关连 你爹跟范加勒家有何轇轕?
He worked for them. We lived in the coach-house.
他替他们工作 我们住在马车房♥
It’s nothing.
没什么问题
There was an argument between father and son a week before the murder.
不过凶案发生的一周前 俩父子曾有争执
My father was later sent for by Mr Van Garrett.
后来我爹给老爷召去办点事
An argument between father and son. Elder Van Garrett sent for his servant…
父子起争执 范加勒老爷找仆人做事
Listen.
听好
I hear nothing. Nor I.
我什么都听不见 我也是
No birds, no crickets, it’s all gone so quiet.
没鸟儿 没蟋蟀
Quicken pace.
走吧
Pardon our intrusion, but perhaps you could help us.
抱歉打扰了 不过你该可以帮助我们
You’re from the Hollow. In a way, yes.
你是断头谷的人 可以这么说
I make no assumptions about your occupation…
我不会看扁你的职业
…nor your ways, which… which… which…
或处事方法 它们…
…are nothing to me, whatever you are. Each to his own.
对我而言不足为奇 他也是这么想
Do you know of the Horseman, ma’am? The Hessian?
你认识无头骑士吗? 那个黑森雇佣兵?
That’ll be him.
就是他了
You, come with me.
你跟我来
Go out, child. Keep away. Whatever you hear, keep away.
孩子 你先出去 无论听见什么都别进来
What might he hear that he must keep away from?
什么声音是他不该听见的?
He rides to the Hollow and back. I hear him. I smell the blood on him.
他骑马到断头谷 然后回来 我听见他 闻到他身上的血
Do you?
是吗?
Well, I’m here to find him and make him stop.
我来这是要阻止他再行凶
You seek knowledge of the netherworld. I can show you.
你想了解冥府之事 我可以帮你
What are you doing? Don’t move or speak.
你在做什么? 别动或张声
When the other comes, I will hold him. The other?
当鬼魂来时 我会留住他 鬼魂?
Silence. He comes now.
安静 他来了
Madam…
小姐…
Madam, do you hear me?
小姐 你听见吗?
You seek the warrior bathed in blood, the Headless Horseman.
你在找浴血的战士无头骑士
Follow the Indian trail to where the sun dies, to the Tree of the Dead.
沿印第安径到日落之处 寻找亡灵树
Climb down to the Horseman’s resting place.
爬进去无头骑士安息之地
We’re leaving. We’re leaving now.
我们要走了 要马上离开
We go to the Tree of the Dead. How will we recognise it?
去找亡灵树 怎么分辨是哪一棵树?
Without difficulty, I fear. Then to the Horseman’s resting place.
恐怕这不成问题 然后再到无头骑士安息之地
His camp? His grave.
他的营地? 他的墓地

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!