to listening to someone speak,
听别人讲话上时
you can really catch a lot of their emotions.
你就能感受到他们的很多情绪
So just learning to listen to yourself
所以说学会倾听你自己
makes you able to listen to other people.
使你可以更好的倾听别人
During the romantic period, it was unthinkable
在浪漫主义时期 任何不会创作的人
for anyone to study an instrument
要学习一种乐器
who didn’t compose.
是不可想象的
– Creativity… – Oh, absolutely.
创造力… 毫无疑问
And re-creativity went hand in hand.
还有再创造能力手手相传
There were no computers. There was no television.
那时候没有电脑 没有电视
– Right. – There were no distractions.
对 没有什么分散注意力
And I’m going to say the unsayable:
我要说些不可言说的:
general education.
通识教育
We have to waste all our time in school
我们必须把所有时间浪费在学校
learning all this stuff.
学习所有这些东西
They were specialized earlier.
以前都是分专业学的
And as to whether that’s a good thing or bad thing,
至于这是好事还是坏事
I’m not gonna say, but it’s completely different.
我就不说了 但是这是完全不同的
Specialized in a certain sense.
分专业在一定意义上来说
You specialize, everyone’s gonna get
分了专业 每个人都能
really good at one thing, and then it should be better.
擅长某一种东西 这样应该更好
But it’s not really like that.
但是其实不是这样的
And you told me when I was 15 I remember you saying this,
我15岁的时候记得你对我说过
because I had started composing then.
因为那时候我是刚刚开始创作
You said, “You should always have a piece
你说 你的每一场音乐会都应该
that you’ve composed for each concert. ”
有专门为之创作的曲段
And actually, now with my 88-concert tour,
而实际上 现在我的88场音乐会的巡演中
that’s exactly what I’m doing.
我就是这么做的
So that’s another thing about your aesthetic
所以有关你的审美还有一件
that I’ve definitely am very aware of,
我无疑了解深刻的事
the idea that you should keep composing.
那就是应该保持创作的信念
If you do it yourself… Absolutely.
如果你能自己做到… 对
Then you get closer to the creative process
那你就会对你自己弹奏的音乐形式
of the music that you’re playing.
的创作流程有更深的了解
Right.
对
When you reach my age,
当你到了我这个年纪
you stop playing games.
你就不再耍花样了
You stop lying to people,
你不再对别人说谎
and you just say really what’s in your heart.
你只会说出你心里的实际想法
And you find out
这时你就会发现
that it’s the greatest compliment to someone
当你不再迎合别人的期待
when you really say the truth
而是对一个人说实话的时候
and don’t just say what they expect you to say.
才是对他最大的敬意
Every piano is like a person.
每架钢琴都像是一个人
They build them the same way.
它们被用同样的工艺制♥作♥出来
They never come out the same way,
却从没有表现的一模一样
because human factor of putting everything together.
这是因为组装上的人为因素
Then the soundboard, the wood is alive.
还有共鸣板 木头被赋予了生命
Every tree is different.
每棵树都是不同的
So the soundboard vibrates.
所以每块共鸣板的振动也不同
Each soundboard has different wood.
每块共鸣板用的都是不同的木头
It can never be the same.
当然不会一样
299.
299-well, do you think that’s gonna be our selection?
299 好吧 你觉得我们选在这儿怎么样?
Is it available for April the 5th?
四月五号♥这里可以吗?
April the 5th? I’ll have to check.
四月五号♥?我得去查一下
Just going right upstairs, you see.
就在楼上 你知道吧
Right.
好的
Oh, it will be terrible if it’s rented.
要是已经租出去了就糟了
For April the 5th? Yeah.
四月五号♥? 对
Did you hear how beautiful it sounds?
听到这琴声有多美了吗?
It’s unbelievable, huh?
简直难以置信 是吧?
All right, good.
好了 挺好
Well, is this one gonna be available
那么 你觉得他演出的时候
for his show, you think?
这里可以用吗?
I wouldn’t have shown it if it wasn’t available.
如果到时这里不能用我就不会带你看了
Okay, great.
好的 太棒了
April 5th? Yep.
四月五号♥? 是的
It’s gonna be up in the rotunda.
在上面的圆形大厅里面
If you want it. I want it.
只要你想 我很想
Well, take it out of my commission.
从我佣金里扣就行了
Okay. All right.
好 好的 很好
How much is it to rent?
租金要多少钱?
We don’t charge. You’re a Steinway artist.
我们不收费 你是施坦威艺术家
We don’t charge rent.
我们不收租金
Oh, that’s good. So it’ll just be rolled up?
那太好了 所以拉开幕布就能演了?
It’ll just be rolled up.
拉开幕布就能演
Oh, how wonderful. See? Free.
太好了 听见了吗 不要钱
I think a lot of people spend the bulk of their life
我觉得有很多人并没有把他们
not trying to play better
生命的主体用来试着做得更好
but by trying to gain more things.
而是试着去获得更多东西
For me, personally,
对于我个人来说
I can look around, and I can see that
我看着周围 我能看出来
that doesn’t actually
那样做并不能使人感到幸福
I’m looking at myself, and I’m saying,
我看着我自己说
“You have the second half of your life ahead of you.
你还有半生的时间
“If it’s not for material gain,
如果不为功利
“if I don’t have a specific religious calling,
如果没有具体的宗教信仰
what is it that I’m living it for?”
我又是为了什么而活着呢
The whole system of life
整个生命的系统
is geared to make you think about success.
都迫使你想要成功
Often, doing my art the best
通常来说 把我的艺术做到最好
and equating that with any kind of financial success are just-
并把它跟钱财上的成功划等号♥老是-
they’re just wildly at odds with one another.
它们总是水火不相容
Of course they are. And so
当然 所以
They can even get in the way of one another.
它们甚至互相阻碍
Yeah. Yes.
对 是的
So the most “successful” things I’ve done
所以我做的大部分所谓“成功”的事
have been some of the worst things I’ve done.
却成了我做过的最糟糕的事
And sometimes I think that
有时候我还觉得
just playing life more beautifully
把生活过得更漂亮
is what I’m after.
就是我的追求
But I don’t know how to do it.
但是我不知道应该怎么做
But don’t you do it through acting?
但是你没有通过表演来做吗
Well, I don’t know which-
我不知道哪个-
Uh, I want to do it through acting, yeah.
我想要通过表演做到 是的
But you don’t feel it? But the world…
但是你没有感觉到? 但是这个世界…
I can. I can.
我可以 我可以
So did you think in the end
最后你有没有觉得
that you found your creative identity
你发现了自己
as a teacher?
作为一个老师的创造性?
Very much so.
当然
Once I called my career to an end,
一旦我的生涯告终
everything became clearer
所有事情都变得清晰起来
and made me happier, fulfilling.
我感到更高兴 更满足
And many people said to me what you said.
很多人对我说过你刚刚说的话
Yeah.
对 你的答案是什么?
Don’t you have a responsibility?
你难道没有责任感吗?
Sure, what’s your answer now, all these years later?
好吧 过了这么多年 你现在的答案呢?
I have a wonderful answer.
我有个很好的答案
I poured it into you.
我把它注入给你们了
Again, again, this passage.
再来一次 再来一次这一段
Well, on the first day that I was in Korea,
我第一天到朝鲜的时候
when I was so scared to death-
我当时吓得要死
absolutely scared to death-
完全吓得要死
I didn’t know where I was.
我不知道自己在哪儿
They didn’t tell us where we were,
他们不告诉我们在什么地方
’cause there was a war going on.
因为这是一场战争
And I woke up at 5:00 in the morning,
我早上五点钟醒来
and everything was covered with mist.
所有东西都笼罩着一层迷雾
And I went into the mess hall,