I addressed it Buckingham Palace, London.
我写下伦敦白金汉宫的地址
One day, a beautiful white envelope arrived
一天 一个背面有着英国徽章的
with a lion red coat of arms
美丽白信封
on the back of it.
送来了
I opened it up,and the letter said,
我打开了它 信上说
“Her Majesty the Queen
女王陛下
“has commanded me
已经吩咐我
to send your letter to the prime minister. ”
把你的信交给首相了
And the next month,Clifford was knighted.
然后第二个月 克利福德·柯曾就成了爵士
Now,whether my letter did it
不管是我的信奏效了
or whether it was a coincidence
还是只是巧合
can’t be confirmed.
已经无从考证了
I have to find out if you’re breathing correctly.
我得知道你呼吸的方法是否正确
Do I have permission to touch you?
我能碰你吗
Okay. Okay.
那就好
‘Cause, you know,you have to ask permission.
你知道的 我得得到应许
Otherwise, you get arrested.
否则会被逮捕的
This is a balloon,
这是你的胸腔
your diaphragm right here, right?
你的隔膜在这 是吗
Okay, ex-exhale.
好的 呼气
Empty out.Empty it out completely.
呼气 全部呼出来
Now inhale.
现在吸气
Not bad.Not bad.
不赖 不赖
Whoa!
哇
Very good.
非常好
Exhale.
呼气
Inhale.
吸气
Most of us breathe so poorly that it is a wonder
大多数人不会充分呼吸 不禁让人疑惑
how we stay alive.
我们是怎么存活的
I joined a physical movement course.
我参加了一个运动课程
I did exercises, which I strongly advise you to do.
因此我强烈建议你和我一起做运动
I moved my head
顺时针慢慢转动
clockwise very slowly
头部
and then counterclockwise.
然后逆时针方向转动
The important thing to learn about the soft pedal
关于弱音踏板 你要知道
is that it changes the quality of sound
它能改变
on the piano.
钢琴发声的质量
Let us shed our guilt
让我们丢掉有关使用
concerning the use of the soft pedal.
弱音踏板的内疚
While no one has ever successfully defined music,
当还没有人能成功定义音乐时
we can, at least,permit ourselves to say of it
至少我们能说
that it is a language of feeling.
这是种表达感情的语言
Music, therefore,has often been referred to
因此 音乐通常被指代为
as a universal language.
一种通俗的语言
Maria Callas said that there were two people inside her.
玛丽亚·卡拉斯说在她体内有两个人
One was Maria,and the other was Callas.
一个是玛丽亚 另一个是卡拉斯
Maria was the rather ordinary woman
玛丽亚是个追求不平凡生活
who wanted rather ordinary things.
却又平凡的女人
Callas was this archetypal shamanic force.
卡拉斯则是这种魔力的源泉
There was a war between these two beings.
两种性格相互冲突
What’s so wonderful about you,
是什么塑造了如此非凡的你
why I love you so much,is that in you,
为什么我那么爱你 是因为
there is no separation
你非常一致
from the friend you are
对待朋友的你
and the master musician you are.
和音乐大♥师♥的你都是一样的
I didn’t used to feel this way.
我过去不会有这种感觉
I didn’t used to be integrated.
不会相互协调
I began to feel this way,I believe…
我有这种感觉 应该是
when I started to survive on the stage.
我在舞台上存活了下来
When I placed tremendous challenges before me,
或者面临巨大挑战时
only to be cast down,
只有沮丧时
something in me said,
脑子里有人说
“Really, you’re inadequate?
就这样 你要屈服了?
Well, then stop beefing about it and make yourself adequate. ”
然后就不会继续不安而是适应现状
Instead of practicing four hours a day,
我把每天的练习从四小时
I turned it to eight.
改为八小时
The struggle is what makes the art form.
这样才能成就艺术
I go to war for my art form.
我为我的艺术形式战斗
Prenatally,I guess I knew immediately
我猜出生前我就明白了
that life-that’s how life is.
生活就是这样
It has conflicts and pleasures,
有冲突也有快乐
harmony and dissonance.
和谐于不和谐共存
That’s how life is.Can’t escape it.
这就是生活 谁也逃不掉
By the way,the same thing occurs in music.
顺便一提 音乐也是这样
There are dissonances in harmony
和谐中有不和谐
and resolutions.
至于解决方法嘛
I believe that you won’t enjoy the resolution
相信你不会喜欢的
unless you have that dissonance.
除非不一致
What would it be if we didn’t have the dissonance?
如果我们没有不和谐的因素会怎样
We wouldn’t know the meaning of the resolution.
我们就不会明白解决的意义
Hey, Seymour.
嘿 西默
When your father would say
当你父亲说他家里有三个女儿
and a pianist,
和一个钢琴家时
what did you think?
你是怎么想的?
Everyone laughed when he said that.
当他这么说时所有人都笑了
I felt insulted.
我感觉受到了侮辱
I felt that he couldn’t say
我觉得他之所以不说
he has three daughters and a son
他有三个女儿和一个儿子
’cause he couldn’t identify with the son that he had.
是因为他觉得我跟他印象里的儿子对不上号♥
After a while, when I was adult enough
过了一段时间 当我长大了一些
to sort of-a little mystic, what I’m going to say-
下面要说的东西还有些神秘感在里面
I create a translucent dome around myself,
我把自己围在了一个半透明的罩子里
a protective dome.
一个保护罩
Outside are flying all the ravens,
外边飞着很多乌鸦
who symbolize all the people
它们象征着我生命中
who are detractors in my life,
所有诋毁我的人
who don’t really want me to succeed
那些因为一己之私的原因
for their selfish reasons.
不是真心希望我成功的人
Even though I can see them, they can’t touch me anymore.
虽然我能看见他们 但是他们再也不能触碰到我了
Guess who my father is.
你猜我父亲是个什么角色
He’s one of those ravens.
他就是那些乌鸦中的一只
He’s picking at the translucent dome,
他不停的啄着我的保护罩
but he can’t get in.
但是他进不来
Our culture deliberately drives people to focus outside
我们的文化有意的驱使着大众将精力
so it can control them.
集中于外界因素 以便对他们进行控制
Because if you can make people
因为如果你能把大众变为
slaves of consumerism, slaves of success,
消费主义的奴隶 所谓成功的奴隶
slaves of status,
身份地位的奴隶
you can manipulate them completely.
他们就完全任你摆布了
So the role of music in our culture is crucial,
所以在我们文化中音乐的角色是至关重要的
because music is the art most sacredly capable
因为音乐这种艺术是最具有
of helping us get in touch
能帮助我们唤醒
with the deepest passions and compassions
我们内心最深处的激♥情♥与怜悯
and deepest understandings of ourselves.
以及对自己最深刻认识的神圣能力的
Well, the ancient Greeks knew that because,
嗯 古希腊人懂得这一点 因为
you know, they had a quadrivium.
他们当时有四门学科
There were four subjects… Yes.
这四门学科… 是的
Without which they felt that the human could not develop.
他们觉得少了这四门学科人类就无法发展
One of the four subjects was music.
这四门学科之中就有音乐
Somebody asked me about, um, taking piano lessons, right?
有人问了我一个关于钢琴课的问题
Suppose a child doesn’t feel like it,
他假设一个孩子并不喜欢钢琴
isn’t drawn to music.
不被音乐所吸引
So I said to this person,
然后我对这个人说
“Now, let’s compare thiswith going to school.
让我们以上学来打个比方吧
“Little Harry wakes up on a Thursday morning and says,
一个周四的早晨小哈利醒来说
‘Mommy, I don’t feel like going to school. “‘
妈妈 我不想去上学了
I said, “It’s unthinkable
我说 小哈利
“that Little Harry can’t go to school.
不可能不去上学
“He has to go to school whether he likes it or not.
不管他想不想去他都得去上学
“There will be no TV.
那里不会有电视机