Picture this.
想象下
He’s playing this for the first time in the world…
他第一次演奏这个
To a room filled with his colleagues.
在一个满是他同事的房♥间
The Moonlight Sonata, right?
月光奏鸣曲 对吗?
He finished playing,and they were all crying.
结束演奏时 他们都在哭泣
So the story-
这个故事
This story is probably spurious,but somebody wrote it.
也许这个故事是捏造的 但有人记下来了
Beethoven stopped, said,”Men don’t cry.
贝多芬停下来说 男人不会哭泣
Why are you crying?”
为什么你们要哭?
This sensitive guy, you know,
这个敏感的家伙 你知道的
he-he-he had the feminine in him,
他 他有柔弱的一面
but he tried to subjugate it.
但他试图克制住
I was called into the army,
我曾应征加入军队
but I had never been away from home at that time.
但当时我从未离家那么远过
I was-led a very sheltered life.
我之前一直过着备受保护的生活
And I remember that ride.
我记得那段路途
I thought if somebody told me I was going to my death,
我想如果有人告诉我 我要死了
it would have been the same trauma to me.
我自己也会难以接受
When we would go on forced marches
当我们被迫参加游♥行♥时
and the temperature was zero
温度只有零度
and we had to go walk 20 miles
我们还得步行20英里
and the guys around me started to faint
我周围的人陆续昏倒
and the ambulances were following us,
救护车跟着我们
the guys came down with pneumonia,
很多人因为肺炎倒下
Seymour went merrily on his way to the 20 miles.
然而西默愉快的走完了20英里
I said,”Now, this is so strange.
我说 真奇怪
Why am I surviving this?”
为什么我幸存下来了
I knew immediately
我立刻明白了
it was the mind-set that I developed as a musician.
我内心认定我要成为一名音乐家
Suddenly an order came through.
突然一个指令传来
Seymour was shipped off to Korea.
西默被送去了韩国
I was with a wonderful violinist
我当时和一个叫肯尼斯·戈登的
by the name of Kenneth Gordon.
非凡小提琴家在一起
I went to the lieutenant of that company
我去找到了我们被分配到那里的
that we were assigned to.
陆军中尉
I said, “Can we give a concert for the guys here?”
我说 我们能给这的人办场音乐会吗
He said, “Classical music? Are you kidding?
他说 古典音乐?你在说笑吗?
Nobody’s gonna listen to classical music here. ”
这里没人听古典音乐的
“Let us try. ”
让我们试试
So I went to a Korean MP school
所以我去了韩国的议会学校
and borrowed a grand piano from them.
从他们那借了台巨大的钢琴
And I requisitioned a truck with six Korean laborers
然后我申请了一辆卡车
who never spoke a word of English.
和六个不会说英语的韩国劳工
I never moved a piano in my life.
在我人生中 从来没搬过钢琴
The lieutenant sent for special gabardine uniforms for us
中尉给了我们一种特制的长袍制♥服♥
and sent us on a concert tour.
然后送我们上路
Where?
去哪?
On the front lines.
去前线
We played for soldiers
我们为那些从没听过
who had never before heard classical music.
古典音乐的士兵演奏
And some of the guys would cry.
有些人都流泪了
We played serious music for them.
我们为他们演奏的是真真正正额古典音乐
We didn’t play down to them.
原汁原味
The guys wouldn’t let us off the stage.
这些人都不让我们下台
I kept a diary.
我保存了一本日记
I hadn’t looked at that diary for 20 years.
有20年没看了
So one Sunday,I took it out,
在一个星期天 我把它拿出来
and I cried the whole day.
并为此哭上了整整一天
Because I remember body bags.
因为我记得那些尸体袋
And I b-I blocked it out.
是我把它扎起来的
I didn’t want to face it.
我不想面对它
And there it was in my diary.
这些都记在我的日记里
I tried not to cry.I knew this was gonna happen.
我试着停止哭泣 我知道那是注定发生的
My teacher, Clifford Curzon-
我的老师 克利福德·柯曾
for him,the only important thing
对他来说 唯一重要的事
is how softly the piano will play.
是钢琴声音能有多轻柔
No good.
不太好
So Clifford Curzon only tried-
只有克利福德·柯曾试过
Clifford Curzon played so soft.
演奏得十分轻柔
They were, like, worried.
他们甚至 担心
They said,”You know, are you gonna-
他们说 你知道
are they gonna be able to hear you?”
他们能听到你的演奏吗?
He said, “I don’t care. ”
他说 我不在乎
He plays to himself.That’s it.
他是为自己演奏 就是这样
Do you know what he did?
你知道他做过什么吗?
He blindfolded me once down here.
曾经蒙上我的眼睛 就在这里
He sat me down,and he went from piano to piano,
他让我坐下 然后他走过一架架钢琴
and sometimes he rattled the chair
有时他会晃动椅子
so I thought he was going to another one,
所以我以为他去另一架钢琴前面了
but he was at the same-
但是他就在原地
The same piano. Wow.
同一架钢琴那 哇哦
And he said,”Which one is the best?”
然后他问 哪一架最好?
I always knew which one was the best.
我总是知道哪一架是最好的
Horrid. Horrors.
不好 太糟糕了
It’s gonna be even worse.
这架会更糟糕
Better.
好一点
This is not bad.
这架钢琴不错
Is this a Hamburg Steinway?
这是汉堡施坦威?
No, this is-is is a New York Steinway.
不 这是纽约施坦威
This is a New York Steinway? – Very new.
这是纽约施坦威? 崭新的
There it is.
就是这样
See those two chords? Mm-hmm.
看到这两个和♥弦♥了吗? 嗯哼
You can’t do that on most pianos.
你在大部分钢琴上都弹不出这种效果
So if you voice a chord…
如果你演奏一个和♥弦♥
Whoa.
哇哦
That’s just gorgeous.
这太美妙了
The soft pedal is so good.
这个弱音踏板太好了
Oh, it’s just heaven.
噢 简直是天堂
I don’t-have never,ever in my life
在我人生中 我从来没有
played on a piano like this.
像这样弹过钢琴
Really? Yes.
真的吗? 是的
I have to tell you the truth.
我实话实说
Wow.

I can’t-It’s too good to be true.
我不能 如果能成真就太好了
Clifford Curzon was one of the great English pianists.
克利福德·柯曾是最伟大的英国钢琴家之一
Well, you know,he was always my hero-
你知道的 他是我的偶像
not only my hero.
不仅仅是我的偶像
I think almost all the pianists
我认为听过他演奏的
who heard him play
大多数钢琴家
thought that he’s-
都认为他是
he’s the model of what you should be,
你应该学习的榜样
especially when you play Mozart and Schubert.
特别是当你演奏莫扎特和舒伯特时
I asked him if I could study with him.
我问他能否跟他学习
He said,”Well, come to London.
他说 好吧 来伦敦吧
I’ll teach you for six months. ”
我教你六个月
So I got a grant-
所以我得到了允许
the Martha Baird Rockefeller grant-to study with him.
玛莎·贝尔德·洛克菲勒同意让我跟他学习
So now I’m in my 40s,I think,
大概在我40岁年间
and he came to New York every two years.
他每两年来一次纽约
While he was here,I saw him every night,
当他在这里时 我每晚都见他
usually in the basement of Steinway.
通常在施坦威的地下室
I would play the orchestral accompaniment
我会在他的音乐会上
for his concertos
为与他合奏的主要管弦乐
that he had to play with major orchestras.
做伴奏
So one day, I thought,
有一天 我想到
“Other great English musicians were knighted.
其他伟大的英国音乐家都是爵士
Why don’t they knight Clifford Curzon?”
为什么克利福德·柯曾不是?
So one day,I penned a letter to the queen.
于是有一天我提笔给女王写了封信
“Dear Majesty,we in America
亲爱的陛下 在美国的我们
wonder why Clifford Curzon has not been knighted. ”
对克利福德·柯曾没有被封爵感到奇怪

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!