And I didn’t even tell my mother.
我甚至都没有告诉我的母亲
That was the last public concert I ever played.
那是我公开演奏的最后一场音乐会
Direct question. Yes.
我直接问了 好的
On some level, though you were nervous on the stage, you were-
在某种程度上 虽然你在舞台上很紧张 你很
It was difficult to do; the career was hard to develop-
那很不容易 职业发展也很艰难
Well, yeah Were youwere you
好吧 是的 你 你
Nervousness is part of what we do.
紧张是我们职业的一部分
Of course.
当然
But do you feel on some level you were just-
但是在某种程度上你有没有觉得 你只是
uh, I don’t know-
恩 我不知道
just couldn’t take that anymore?
就是无法继续做这件事了
That aspect of it, the pressure of it,
某一方面吧 那种压力
the anxiety of it…
那种焦虑
I hated the commercial aspect of it.
我讨厌它商业性的一面
Right.
是的
I hated the nerves. Right.
我讨厌紧张 是的
I wanted to create. Right? Right. Right.
我想要创作 对吧? 是的 是的
Those are three major reasons why I quit.
这是我隐退的三个主要原因
But, Seymour, you were a great player.
但是 西默 你是一个伟大的演奏家
You were an amazing player.
你是一个非常出色的演奏家
You got fabulous reviews as well, so you-
也获得了极高的评价 所以你
It didn’t help, though.
但是这并不管用
What do you mean?
怎么说呢?
It didn’t help to… What didn’t it help?
它没有帮到我 没有帮助到你什么?
Allay the horror
减轻恐慌
that I felt before and during a concert.
以前在音乐会上我总是感到恐慌
So I wasn’t gonna let it go at that.
所以我不能让它继续发展下去
This is a challenge I have to meet.
这是我必须要面对的挑战
Right.
是的
If I’m gonna be that terrified
如果我对
of walking across the stage,
在舞台上行走都感到恐慌
what am I going to say about facing the vicissitudes of life?
那么我怎么面对生活中的悲欢离合呢
Exactly.
正是如此
It’s the same. Right.
都是一样的 是的
I had te-terrible blocks.
我有可怕的障碍
I had physical blocks in my playing itself.
我对演奏这件事有生理障碍
I had blocks whenever I was on the stage-
每一次站在舞台上都有这种障碍
having a fear of memory slips.
担心会忘记
I felt inadequate as a pianist.
觉得自己不配称为钢琴家
Now, you understand that if we’re talking
现在 你理解了我们探讨的
about the correlation between a musician and a person,
音乐家和个人之间的相关性
if you feel inadequate as a musician,
如果你觉得自己做不好音乐家
then you’re going to feel inadequate as a person.
那么你也做不好这个人
You know, I-I have a memory of you being
你知道 我记得你
more angry at the music world in years-years past.
随着时间的流逝 你对音乐领域也感到很愤慨
What, I was angry at the music world?
什么 我对音乐领域很愤慨?
Yeah, I think so. I think so.
是的 我这么认为 我这么认为
And I- I should say so.
我应该这样说
And I think that came across in the classes.
我是在课堂上无意中发现的
There was a little bit of a, uh, you know…
有一点 你懂得
Resentment?
怨恨?
Yeah, a little bit. Something like this.
是的 有一点 类似那样
Like, well, we’re doing this thing here, and this is good,
比如说 嗯 我们在这里做了这样一件事 这是非常好的
but those people over there at Juilliard,
但是 音乐学院的那些人
they’re just a bunch of, you know, sort of careerists.
他们就是一群 你懂的 有野心的人
I haven’t changed.
我未曾改变
No, I think you have, actually, but…
不 我觉得实际上你变了 但是
No, I haven’t changed.
不 我没有变
I just think that-
我只是在想
I’m not so sure that a major career
我不是很确定
is a healthy thing to embark upon.
我的职业生涯是否值得从事下去
I see my colleagues who have major careers
我看到我的同事们因为我们的职业
suffer terribly.
遭受痛苦
There are a lot of examples of extremely talented,
有很多例子 有很多有才华
extremely selfish, horrible people.
却又极度自私 极度可怕的人们
Isn’t that so? So-
难道不是吗? 所以
Is there some connection
恶魔和天赋之间
between the monsters and the-and the gift?
有什么联♥系♥吗?
The contrast between
不可思议的艺术成就
the unbelievable attainment of art
和不可预测的社会环境
and the unpredictability of the social world
之间的对比
is so great-
差距太大了
the contrast is so great-
对比太强烈了
that it makes them neurotic.
使他们变得神经质
They can’t equate this.
他们无法平衡这件事
Jackson Pollock and Marlon Brando
杰克逊·波洛克(美国画家)和马龙·白兰度
were all pretty notoriously horrible people.
都是相当臭名昭著令人讨厌的人
They were.
他们确实是
And there are musicians who are monsters, yeah.
音乐家中也有这样的恶魔 是的
Glenn Gould, for example.
比如说 格伦·古尔德
He was a total neurotic mess-
他完全是一个神经质的混♥蛋♥
total.
完全是
No chair could be low enough for him.
没有适合他身高的椅子
I-I heard him play in Carnegie Hall several times.
我在卡内基音乐厅听过几次他的演奏
And they put the piano on cinder blocks this high.
他们把钢琴放在煤渣砖块那么高
So-now, I can’t screw the chair down to demonstrate,
现在 我没法拧椅子来给你演示
but I can ima-show you.
但你可以想象一下
The keyboard was up here.
键盘在这么高的地方
See? Look. he was playing like this.
看见了吗? 看着 他就这样弹
Well, everybody knows that he was a genius.
当然 每个人都知道他是个天才
And technically,he had few equals.
并且实际上 能和他相提并论的人很少
He was so extraordinary.
他是超凡脱俗的
But what peeves me about him-
但是我对他感到恼怒是因为
he was so famous for Bach, right?
他以弹巴♥赫♥的曲子而著称 对吧?
But when I hear his Bach,
但当我听他弹巴♥赫♥的时候
I’m not aware that I’m listening to Bach.
我并不觉得自己在听巴♥赫♥的曲子
I’m only aware I’m listening to Glenn Gould.
我只觉得在听格伦·古尔德的演奏
He’s infusing the music with his own eccentric nature.
他在音乐里注入自己古怪的特质
I remember seeing him once in Carnegie Hall.
我记得曾经在卡♥耐♥基♥音乐厅见过他
He crossed his left leg over the right,
他左腿翘在右腿上
and he pedaled with his right foot.
然后用右脚踩踏板
I told Clifford Curzon about that.
我告诉了克利福德·柯曾这件事
I said, “You know, I have a feeling
我说 你知道的 我有种感觉
“if he didn’t act so eccentric,
如果他不表现得那么古怪
he wouldn’t play so well. ”
他就不会弹的那么好
And Clifford said to me in his English accent,
然后克利福德用他的英音对我说
“Laddie, I’m so sorry to disillusion you,
小伙子 非常抱歉让你的幻想幻灭
but I know an intimate friend of Glenn Gould’s. ”
但认识格伦·古尔德一个亲密的朋友
“And one night, Glenn Gould called his friend and said,
在一个晚上 格伦·古尔德打给他的朋友说
“‘I wowed them last night.
昨晚观众为我喝彩了
I crossed my left leg over the right. “‘
因为我把左腿翘在右腿上了
So you see, he did it on purpose.
所以你看 他是故意的
Yeah, but then-then your idea of an artist
好吧 然后你认为一个艺术家
is that you isolate yourself more,
应该多孤立自己
and you exist in some safer place
呆在舒适区
but also one less connected to maybe your talents, even.
甚至少用自己的才能
I love to, uh, ascribe
我愿意把自己归于
to be like amateur musicians-
业余音乐家
namely, to do it for love
即 因为热爱而从事
and not just for commercial purposes.
而不是仅仅因为商业意图
To me, it’s partly about your desire to find a place,
对我来说 一部分是渴望找到一个地方
a safe place disconnected from,
一个安全的地方 远离
you know, the-the hurly-burly of-of the real world,
你知道的 喧闹的真实世界
which does buffet every person who’s trying to make a career,
那个给每个人创业机会的世界
whether they’re doing it on Wall Street
无论他们是否在华尔街工作
or whether they’re doing it in Carnegie Hall
或者在卡♥耐♥基♥音乐厅工作
or whether they’re doing it on a stage or whatever.
又或者在舞台上工作或其他的
But don’t you think somebody who’s very talented
但是你认为有些才华横溢的人
and has something to say as a performer-
不会想在表演中表达什么吗
you say this to your students; you’ve said it to me…
你这样告诉你的学生 你也对我说过